HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Which trade with Toronto would you undo?

View Poll Results: Which trade with Toronto would you undo?
Kaberle for Colborne 1st and 2nd 94 97.92%
1st, 1st, 2nd for Kessel 2 2.08%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-17-2012, 10:05 AM
Dom - OHL
http://ohlwriters.co

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dom - OHL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobias Industries View Post
I don't know why you're putting that in quotations, I know there's no love lost for Kessel but he had a great year last year.

You might have to only make the playoffs, but one guy doesn't take a team to the playoffs. And if you watched their defence and goaltending it definitely wasn't Kessel's fault they didn't make it. And if you were to ask me, for the 2010 and 2011 seasons, Kessel would have been an upgrade over Seguin. For any year moving forward, I think it'll be the other way.
You are a Leaf fan correct?

I think the OP suggested that he/she was asking Bruins fans for their opinions. You have the same poll on your own board so please allow us to answer without you're trying to convince us otherwise and stick to debating it on your own board.

Dom - OHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 10:07 AM
Gobias Industries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Make-Believe View Post
And Seguin's point totals last season bested Kessel's previous career-highs... In his sophomore year. And Kessel playing in the league for five.

I still like Phil. I liked having him on the team and I was pissed when he was dealt for picks. And no doubt about it, he had a great year last season. That doesn't make me regret for ONE SECOND, the big, beautiful haul we got from Burkie for the guy. The Maple Leafs have helped set up the Bruins core for years to come AND contributed to a Stanley Cup here... All while failing to make the playoffs once in that time. I couldn't be happier.
Completely agree, although your first paragraph isn't pertinent because they are the ages they are; and that's all that matters in the trade. Agreed that from this point on he'll be a better player than Kessel.

But I just wanted to show the side (in response to the notion that you'd have to be stupid or a non-Bruins fan) that if we had Kessel we could potentially be EVEN MORE competitive now, leading to a higher likelihood of cups.

Gobias Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 10:09 AM
CDJ*

For sure giving up the Razor.

El oh El

CDJ* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 10:11 AM
Gobias Industries

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrOverGretzky View Post
You are a Leaf fan correct?

I think the OP suggested that he/she was asking Bruins fans for their opinions. You have the same poll on your own board so please allow us to answer without you're trying to convince us otherwise and stick to debating it on your own board.
I'm actually a fan of both teams (being from Toronto), but the Bruins are my main team, and my desktop background at home and work. My least favourite part of being a fan of both is getting this type of response from both boards.

I prefer objectivity to hyperbole, so when someone says you'd have to be stupid or dislike the Bruins to support something, I'm generally going to defend the other side.

Old
08-17-2012, 10:12 AM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNHL View Post
Or Tom Fergus-Bill Derlago.
This ... was majorly pissed as a lad when this trade went down!

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 10:16 AM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

I don't want either of the trades undone, both of them were great. The Seguin trade is obvious...hes already our best offensive player, and this year he could very well score a comparable amount to Kessel (a think Seguin gets 70-75 and Kessel around 80). Plus we get Hamilton and Knight?

The Kaberle trade was fantastic for the Leafs, but still great for the Bruins. The Leafs got a top six center prospect and a couple high picks...none of which we really needed. Colborne would have been absolutely buried in our system, even Spooner might be a better prospect than Joe at this point (I'll reserve judgment until I see Spooner play an extended amount of time in the A).

Plus, our team as a whole is very young. Lucic/Marchand/Seguin/Rask are all key components to our team and are all still developing, and Krejci/Bergy are young and will be on this team for a while (unless Krejci gets traded for Bobby Ryan ). Giving up a late first round pick when our cupboards are already stacked isnt going to hurt us.

If I had to vote for one it would obviously be the Kaberle one, but I wouldnt undo that trade at all...even if Colborne materializes into something for the Leafs (which I'm not convinced with every happen, not a fan), he would have been buried in the minors for us. Biggs is a nice piece, but I'll take an upgrade at defense for some above average prospects.

Tim Vezina Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 10:25 AM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobias Industries View Post
Completely agree, although your first paragraph isn't pertinent because they are the ages they are; and that's all that matters in the trade. Agreed that from this point on he'll be a better player than Kessel.

But I just wanted to show the side (in response to the notion that you'd have to be stupid or a non-Bruins fan) that if we had Kessel we could potentially be EVEN MORE competitive now, leading to a higher likelihood of cups.
Chiarelli identified Phil Kessel as a player that he didn't want as a top scorer on his team. I believe in Chia's philosophy... I don't think the Bruins DO win more with Kessel right now. I don't think they would have won at all.

And how is my first paragraph irrelevant? Just to clarify.

Mr. Make-Believe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 10:27 AM
GloryDaze4877
Stone Clode 3:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by namttebeid View Post
Hello Bruins fans. Over on the Leafs board we have a Poll going right now asking which trade with the Bruins we would undo. The options were the Rask for Raycroft trade or Kessel for the future of the orginization trade. (guess where I stand) We weren't even given the Kaberle option because it isn't nearly as polarizing from a Leafs standpoint. Likewise, I won't even include the Rask trade on this poll as I highly doubt anyone here missed the Rayzor.

So which one would you undo:

Kaberle for Colborne, Biggs and essentially John Michael Lilles

OR

Seguin, Hamilton and Knight for Kessel
How about neither?

Obviously it would be the Kaberle deal if I was forced to choose, but I'm not all that upset about that one. Although Kabs performed below expectations, he was part of the Cup-winning team, and I don't think Colborne is foing to make it, so nuff said.

BTW, that should read:

Kabs + Stanley Cup for Colborne, Biggs, and Liles.

GloryDaze4877 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 10:30 AM
Gobias Industries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Make-Believe View Post
Chiarelli identified Phil Kessel as a player that he didn't want as a top scorer on his team. I believe in Chia's philosophy... I don't think the Bruins DO win more with Kessel right now. I don't think they would have won at all.

And how is my first paragraph irrelevant? Just to clarify.
I agree with everything here, I was only arguing against the hyperbolic statement that you'd have to be stupid or a non-Bruins fan. I was just trying to throw something agianst the wall.

It's not pertinent because my argument was that in the years 2010 and 2011 Phil Kessel might have been a better player for the Bruins than Tyler Seguin. I understand that Seguin's development is far beyond Kessel's at this point, but I personally believe over the last two years, philosophies aside, that Kessel has been better than Seguin and I don't think that's too far fetched.

Old
08-17-2012, 10:43 AM
misterjaggers

Quote:
Hello Bruins fans. Over on the Leafs board we have a Poll going right now asking which trade with the Bruins we would undo. The options were the Rask for Raycroft trade or Kessel for the future of the orginization trade. (guess where I stand) We weren't even given the Kaberle option because it isn't nearly as polarizing from a Leafs standpoint. Likewise, I won't even include the Rask trade on this poll as I highly doubt anyone here missed the Rayzor.

So which one would you undo:

Kaberle for Colborne, Biggs and essentially John Michael Lilles

OR

Seguin, Hamilton and Knight for Kessel
Do you think Colborne will win a job with the big club next season?

misterjaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 10:44 AM
KnightofBoston
MVP

If a mod can add "Niether" as an option that's what I'll be selecting

KnightofBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 10:47 AM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaggers View Post
Do you think Colborne will win a job with the big club next season?
Not a chance, and if he does they'll be horrible. I think he'll be an NHL player, but not anything special. Certainly not worth his 1st round selection.

I could see him being a lower tiered 2nd line center maybe, but I'm not convinced a team with him in the top six will be a competitive one.

Tim Vezina Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 10:48 AM
Dellstrom
We Like Eich

I wouldn't trade Seguin for Kessel.

I'd only do Hamilton for Kessel straight up. Knight just puts the cherry on top.

The Kaberle trade looks like a lot, but Colborne doesn't have much of a future in the NHL and Biggs isn't a great prospect by any means. This has to be a joke.

To think we've stolen a #1C, #1D, and #1G from Toronto in exchange for Kessel and Raycroft. Is he even in the AHL anymore?

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 10:50 AM
Trap Jesus

I wouldn't undo either what with the butterfly effect and all, but obviously the Kaberle one if I had to pick. Kaberle sucks. The Seguin trade was one for the ages.

Trap Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 11:16 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

I think someone's been out in the sun too long.

Some time in the shade with a cool drink is probably a good idea.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 11:18 AM
BruinsBtn

It's a pet peeve of mine when people say the Bruins gave up Biggs in the Kaberle deal.

The Bruins gave up the 30th pick -- Biggs was picked with #22.

Anaheim traded #22 to the Leafs for #30 (Rickard Rakell) and #39 (Christopher Gibson) in a deal that will look like another blunder for Burke in a few years.

BruinsBtn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 11:25 AM
Dellstrom
We Like Eich

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsBtn View Post
It's a pet peeve of mine when people say the Bruins gave up Biggs in the Kaberle deal.

The Bruins gave up the 30th pick -- Biggs was picked with #22.

Anaheim traded #22 to the Leafs for #30 (Rickard Rakell) and #39 (Christopher Gibson) in a deal that will look like another blunder for Burke in a few years.
Sorry, it was a while ago. Didn't remember too well.

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 11:26 AM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Definitely needs a "neither." Kaberle was part of that Cup win. He wasn't quite as dominant as we'd hoped he'd be, but he did tie with Seids for defensive scoring.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 11:26 AM
trenton1
Paille Good

Wanvig for Hoglund.

trenton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 12:04 PM
DohBruins

is this even a question?

DohBruins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 12:07 PM
Shaun
beauty

None Colborne sucks and can't but his way into the NHL like he could other leagues.

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 12:08 PM
Jean_Jacket41
Neely = HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaaaaB's View Post
Why would any Bruins fan want to undo either trade?

The Kessel trade is an obvious win for the Bruins and we may not have won the cup without Kaberle.
This should have been the last post of this ridiculous thread.

Jean_Jacket41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 12:23 PM
namttebih

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean_Jacket41 View Post
This should have been the last post of this ridiculous thread.
I know this but I'm kind of using you guys to prove a point on the Leafs board.
I see the error in my way though. What I should have asked is:

If you could only keep one trade, one HAD to be undone. Would it be:

A.The Rask trade. Left with Razor, Seguin, Hamilton ect

B. The Kessel trade. Left with Rask and Kessel

namttebih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 12:27 PM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaaaaB's View Post
Why would any Bruins fan want to undo either trade?

The Kessel trade is an obvious win for the Bruins and we may not have won the cup without Kaberle.
Leafs fans still want to pat Burke on the back for getting such a great haul for Kaberle. That's the only reason this poll was made by a Leafs fan, he gave us no other option but to make it seem like Burke actually won one. In reality Colborne is softer than my grandmother on the ice, never gonna make it, he traded up with another top 40 pick for Biggs who has questionable upside and Colorado thought so little of Liles they gave him away for a 60th pick. Burke did great in the Lupul/Gardiner trade because even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while, the rest of his Leafs tenure has been nothing short of brutal. This is a guy who's going for the playoffs every year but can't even get his team out of the bottom ten in the league.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 12:33 PM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
I know this but I'm kind of using you guys to prove a point on the Leafs board.
I see the error in my way though. What I should have asked is:

If you could only keep one trade, one HAD to be undone. Would it be:

A.The Rask trade. Left with Razor, Seguin, Hamilton ect

B. The Kessel trade. Left with Rask and Kessel
I know you're dealing with Leafs fans so logic doesn't apply, but logic should tell you which deal Bruins fans would undo. Just like logic tells me the Rask deal was a worse deal for the Leafs than the Kessel deal because at least you got Kessel who is something good, getting a couple ****** years of Raycroft for Rask is literally getting nothing good.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote