HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We get to have a high pick again next June!

Old
08-16-2012, 05:14 PM
Drydenwasthebest

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
20 years of rebuilding and patchwork. The time to rebuild is now in my opinion. I don't want to lose, but the team we currently have isn't talented or deep enough to win. Yet. A few more pieces will expedite that process.
Wrong.

We DO ave the talent. We need it to stay healthy. We played last year without a second line, without our best defenceman, without our Captain and 25+ goal scoring second line winger (who was our first line winger before we found the Cole, DD, Pacioretty line), with a management team that didn't seem to know what was needed, and a coach who wouldn't play offence and refused to realize we needed a Prust type of player for a full season, especially with White out.

We currently have a terrific #1 line with Cole, DD, and Patches.

Our second line having Plekanec, Gionta, and Bourque has plenty of capability, and we can always replace Bourque with a young guy or a Moen if necessary. Our third line will have Eller and plenty of capable players. Our fourth line is probably going to be far tougher and useful against opponents like the bruins and Flyers. You will see, we will not get thrown around again.

As long as Markov is back and Bergevin signs Subban, our top 4 is as good as any in the league. Even without Markov our top 4 is decent. With Bouillon on board for veteran leadership on the bottom pairing, and young guys like Tinordi and Beaulieu pushing for a spot, we have defensive depth and capability.

Price is gold.

So, yes, we do have a team that can compete for the Cup IF we stay healthy. No need to tank, just to play well. Price had about 15 of his losses because we could not score 2 goals or more in support. Gionta should help turn some of those losses into wins, as would a rejuvenated Bourque.

I maybe a homer, but I have followed this team for decades. Stay healthy and we can win. Even with Therrien...sigh...

Drydenwasthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 05:30 PM
Neutrino

-The Habs rebound nicely and contend all year for the playoffs. -Alex Galchenyuk wins rookie of the year. -Carey Price is a Vezina finalist.

-RogerRoeper (main board)

Wait what ? Exactly.

Neutrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 05:47 PM
SeriousHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drydenwasthebest View Post
Wrong.

We DO ave the talent. We need it to stay healthy. We played last year without a second line, without our best defenceman, without our Captain and 25+ goal scoring second line winger (who was our first line winger before we found the Cole, DD, Pacioretty line), with a management team that didn't seem to know what was needed, and a coach who wouldn't play offence and refused to realize we needed a Prust type of player for a full season, especially with White out.

Our second line having Plekanec, Gionta, and Bourque has plenty of capability, and we can always replace Bourque with a young guy or a Moen if necessary. Our third line will have Eller and plenty of capable players. Our fourth line is probably going to be far tougher and useful against opponents like the bruins and Flyers. You will see, we will not get thrown around again.

As long as Markov is back and Bergevin signs Subban, our top 4 is as good as any in the league. Even without Markov our top 4 is decent. With Bouillon on board for veteran leadership on the bottom pairing, and young guys like Tinordi and Beaulieu pushing for a spot, we have defensive depth and capability.

Price is gold.

So, yes, we do have a team that can compete for the Cup IF we stay healthy. No need to tank, just to play well. Price had about 15 of his losses because we could not score 2 goals or more in support. Gionta should help turn some of those losses into wins, as would a rejuvenated Bourque.

I maybe a homer, but I have followed this team for decades. Stay healthy and we can win. Even with Therrien...sigh...
I agree with all of this, but my conclusion is that we have a team that can compete for 8th - 10th spot...maybe...if healthy.

SeriousHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 11:33 PM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Look at the THN predictions from the past 3 years or 5 years.

On average, I'm sure they do much better than pure guessing.
Hmmm....slightly, maybe.

I will agree, on average better than pure guessing, but defiantly not anything near money in the bank type stuff.

08-17-2012, 12:21 AM
Beendair Donedat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drydenwasthebest View Post
Wrong.

Price is gold.

Keep drinking the Kool Aid, Jonestown. The Habs finished last in the entire Eastern conference and consequently had the draft of a lifetime, which was sorely needed to replenish the cupboards. I agree we do have talent - we just don't have enough to compete with the elite teams barring a miracle.

Gionta and Markov are not the game breakers that they used to be. Our defense is full of holes and lacks size. It's loaded with small soft players.... Ryan O'Byrne would look great back there now...

Eller hasn't shown much development.

We are just not deep enough.

Beendair Donedat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 12:44 AM
Ollie Williams

They are wrong. We finish 14th.

Ollie Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 01:16 AM
ChoseLa

We have an underwhelming top-6, outside of the top-line we have Bourque - Plek - Gio, not enticing at all. We have no secondary scoring, our defence is very small and soft.

The only good thigs are : Bottom 6 is tough as nail, Carey Price.

Let's cross our fingers that Cole can have another career year and that Gio can still score 25+ at 33/34yold after all those injuries and an very underwhelming showing last season, and also let's hope Bourque can cure his lack of passion and start playing hockey. What if DD haters were right?

Emelin being our only defencemen higher than 6" on the back end, the rest better be ready for a lot of hits in their own zone.

That's a lot of questions, could turn out to be a very succesful season or a complete disaster. I can live with both.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 01:19 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
We have an underwhelming top-6, outside of the top-line we have Bourque - Plek - Gio, not enticing at all. We have no secondary scoring, our defence is very small and soft.

The only good thigs are : Bottom 6 is tough as nail, Carey Price.

Let's cross our fingers that Cole can have another career year and that Gio can still score 25+ at 33/34yold after all those injuries and an very underwhelming showing last season, and also let's hope Bourque can cure his lack of passion and start playing hockey. What if DD haters were right?

Emelin being our only defencemen higher than 6" on the back end, the rest better be ready for a lot of hits in their own zone.

That's a lot of questions, could turn out to be a very succesful season or a complete disaster. I can live with both.
Kaberle is 6'1

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 02:05 AM
HockeyF3ind

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Kaberle is 6'1
I didn't realize they stack butter that high.

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 03:14 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

The habs should improve next year. They will be back where they have been for the most part of the last 15 years.... among the pack battling for a playoff spot.

Even if the habs made no changes this year, I would expect improvement over last year. Over the big picture, I think we will look at last season as a blip in the radar and not a sign of things to come.

I think MB (or any other GM that the team could have hired) is going to look pretty good coming into this situation, because the team can only go up from last year.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 11:47 AM
Neutrino

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousHabs View Post
I agree with all of this, but my conclusion is that we have a team that can compete for 8th - 10th spot...maybe...if healthy.
Not saying I agree or disagree but... Dude you suck at conclusions if that's what you really think and then conclude.

Neutrino is offline   Reply With Quote