HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Max Pacioretty signed for 6 years!! ($27M/$4.5M per)

Old
08-16-2012, 03:55 PM
DAChampion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Huh? Simmonds is a great player? like really?
He's 6'2", 23 years old, and just came off a 28 goal, 21 assist season playing on Philadelphia's 2nd line.

I wish we had Simmonds on the Habs.

DAChampion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 03:59 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
He's 6'2", 23 years old, and just came off a 28 goal, 21 assist season playing on Philadelphia's 2nd line.

I wish we had Simmonds on the Habs.
Great players score 50 goals not 28. Have some common sense. There are a lot of guys in the NHl I would take on the Habs, it doesn't make them great. I would take Rupp on our 4th line, does that make him a great player?

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 04:21 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Great players score 50 goals not 28. Have some common sense. There are a lot of guys in the NHl I would take on the Habs, it doesn't make them great. I would take Rupp on our 4th line, does that make him a great player?
I think we use different definitions.

For me, scoring 50 goals, aka winning the Rocket Richard Trophy most years, makes one a franchise player.

A great player is the type of player that a Stanley Cup Contender might have six or seven of. Doughty, Quick, Kopitar, Brown, Richards, Scuderi, are all great players.

Old
08-16-2012, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Simmonds might get more if he was a UFA, but as a "re sign" it's not a huge bargain. Before last year he had 39 NHL goals in 240 games, so 28 might be an aberration and he goes back to 15-20.
The intangibles that Simmonds brings on a game to game basis can't be measured in stats..

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 06:24 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

For me, scoring 50 goals, aka winning the Rocket Richard Trophy most years, makes one a franchise player.

A great player is the type of player that a Stanley Cup Contender might have six or seven of. Doughty, Quick, Kopitar, Brown, Richards, Scuderi, are all great players.
Your definition of great is vastly different from the rest of the planet I guess. Scuderi? Really?

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 10:03 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Your definition of great is vastly different from the rest of the planet I guess. Scuderi? Really?
You don't speak for the planet :-)

Scuderi is a great shutdown defenseman and a playoff warrior. He contributed to cup wins on two different teams. I wish we had him on the Habs on a long-term contract.

Old
08-17-2012, 11:50 AM
Avim86

Quote:
You don't speak for the planet :-)

Scuderi is a great shutdown defenseman and a playoff warrior. He contributed to cup wins on two different teams. I wish we had him on the Habs on a long-term contract.
I approve this comment Scuderi is a better more accomplished Gorges he
Would make a great mentor for Subban.

Avim86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 02:57 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
People are trying too hard. How do you know Gauthier wouldn't have approached him with a long term deal come June? I REALLY don't like Gauthier but was he supposed to negotiate an extension in january just to have it signed 6 months later?
I don't... but Pacioretty, who does know Gauthier, felt the need to comment on precisely that point.

It's not that hard for an employee to have an understanding of what his near-future is within a company based on his relationship with management. It could be just bad vibes, but something about how Patches relationship was with the previous management team gave him the impression that this kind of contract wasn't as likely...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Humm maybe not exactly after the date of eligibility, but around it, ya.
And im sure in some cases they do start working on extensions after the date.
You can have preliminary talks with the player before, see if he'd be interested in an extension.

Really I don't see what's hard to believe here..
neither do I?

player, based on whatever preliminary (or lack thereof) talks he had with the previous management team, didn't feel confident that a long-term deal was as likely.

I'm glad we got Patches locked-in for 7 more years, there is always a degree of risk, he could regress or pull a Higgins and plateau below his early-20's offensive peak. but i'd say that with his resiliency in battling back from a devastating injury (both physically, but perhaps more impressive, mentally), being married to ex-pro athlete, and his already impressive commitment to training http://25stanley.com/la-lune-de-miel...ss-hockey.html

the odds look promising that if nothing else, he'll be a dedicated pro throughout the contract, with only career-altering injury or unexplainable skill evaporation preventing him from being a 30 goal threat every year.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 03:24 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:

Thats a very vast definition of "great." That makes for a lot of "great" players.

Lets put it in another perspective.

If Quick is just a "great" player, that would make Price just a "good" goalie and not a franchise one like he has been tagged.

Saying Scuderi is a "great" players would put Gorges in the "great" category despite being just good.

Brown is a very good player not a great player. Him being a great player would indicate Desharnais, Cole and Pacioretty are great. On the contrary, this would also put these guys are par with Kopitar which isnt even close to reality.

Their is a huge separation between franchise player, or superstar, star or even great and good players.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 04:59 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
Thats a very vast definition of "great." That makes for a lot of "great" players.

Lets put it in another perspective.

If Quick is just a "great" player, that would make Price just a "good" goalie and not a franchise one like he has been tagged.

Saying Scuderi is a "great" players would put Gorges in the "great" category despite being just good.

Brown is a very good player not a great player. Him being a great player would indicate Desharnais, Cole and Pacioretty are great. On the contrary, this would also put these guys are par with Kopitar which isnt even close to reality.

Their is a huge separation between franchise player, or superstar, star or even great and good players.
When I say a player is great, I mean "at least great". It includes players who are better than great.

Anyhow, I don't want to get into semantics. I have noticed that a lot of the forum disagrees as to the definition of 1st liner, 1st pairing, no. 1, star, superstar, franchise, good, great, generational, etc.

Old
08-17-2012, 05:08 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avim86 View Post
I approve this comment Scuderi is a better more accomplished Gorges he
Would make a great mentor for Subban.
Not really the thread to discuss this, but with Gorges on board long term Scuderi is really unnecessary. What we lack is 1 mean mofo like what Komisarek use to bring us in the Carbo era. Wish we had signed Carkner instead of Cube (whom I respect a lot).

Maxpac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 05:16 PM
Neutrino

I don't think the word you used means the same as you do, therefore you are wrong.

Nevermind what you meant...

Neutrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 07:01 PM
le_sean

I really hope Max can be a consistent 30-30 player.

His character is off the charts. He became a completely different player after his demotion to the AHL. It gave him focus. He has the shot, size, and speed.

I say we might have seen his peak in terms of offence but he will turn the corner and be a two-way force soon.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 07:07 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Pacioretty will prove that he's more valuable than this contract real soon. Bank on it!!!!!!

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 07:46 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I really hope Max can be a consistent 30-30 player.

His character is off the charts. He became a completely different player after his demotion to the AHL. It gave him focus. He has the shot, size, and speed.

I say we might have seen his peak in terms of offence but he will turn the corner and be a two-way force soon.
His game has morphed into a style that IMO resembles that of Mike Cammalleri, except with more size, speed and tenacity to his game. When you watch the way he picks his spots and the way he's shooting, it's very reminiscent of how Cammy played. His shooting instincts, once thought to be one of his biggest flaws has become probably his biggest asset along with his speed, he himself has attributed this to getting tips from Cammy.

That being said, I don't doubt for a second that Pacioretty has the ability to flirt with some 80pt seasons in the same way Cammalleri did. Especially when you consider how much bigger, stronger and faster he is. I don't expect it every season, as long as he stays in the same 25-30G and 60ish point range I'll be very satisfied with the player.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote