HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Max Pacioretty signed for 6 years!! ($27M/$4.5M per)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-16-2012, 03:55 PM
  #326
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 6,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Huh? Simmonds is a great player? like really?
He's 6'2", 23 years old, and just came off a 28 goal, 21 assist season playing on Philadelphia's 2nd line.

I wish we had Simmonds on the Habs.

DAChampion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 03:59 PM
  #327
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,404
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
He's 6'2", 23 years old, and just came off a 28 goal, 21 assist season playing on Philadelphia's 2nd line.

I wish we had Simmonds on the Habs.
Great players score 50 goals not 28. Have some common sense. There are a lot of guys in the NHl I would take on the Habs, it doesn't make them great. I would take Rupp on our 4th line, does that make him a great player?

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 04:21 PM
  #328
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 6,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Great players score 50 goals not 28. Have some common sense. There are a lot of guys in the NHl I would take on the Habs, it doesn't make them great. I would take Rupp on our 4th line, does that make him a great player?
I think we use different definitions.

For me, scoring 50 goals, aka winning the Rocket Richard Trophy most years, makes one a franchise player.

A great player is the type of player that a Stanley Cup Contender might have six or seven of. Doughty, Quick, Kopitar, Brown, Richards, Scuderi, are all great players.

DAChampion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 09:44 PM
  #329
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 19,379
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Simmonds might get more if he was a UFA, but as a "re sign" it's not a huge bargain. Before last year he had 39 NHL goals in 240 games, so 28 might be an aberration and he goes back to 15-20.
The intangibles that Simmonds brings on a game to game basis can't be measured in stats..

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 06:24 AM
  #330
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,404
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
I think we use different definitions.

For me, scoring 50 goals, aka winning the Rocket Richard Trophy most years, makes one a franchise player.

A great player is the type of player that a Stanley Cup Contender might have six or seven of. Doughty, Quick, Kopitar, Brown, Richards, Scuderi, are all great players.
Your definition of great is vastly different from the rest of the planet I guess. Scuderi? Really?

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 10:03 AM
  #331
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 6,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Your definition of great is vastly different from the rest of the planet I guess. Scuderi? Really?
You don't speak for the planet :-)

Scuderi is a great shutdown defenseman and a playoff warrior. He contributed to cup wins on two different teams. I wish we had him on the Habs on a long-term contract.

DAChampion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 11:50 AM
  #332
Avim86
Registered User
 
Avim86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal , Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,510
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
You don't speak for the planet :-)

Scuderi is a great shutdown defenseman and a playoff warrior. He contributed to cup wins on two different teams. I wish we had him on the Habs on a long-term contract.
I approve this comment Scuderi is a better more accomplished Gorges he
Would make a great mentor for Subban.

Avim86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 02:57 PM
  #333
Miller Time
Registered User
 
Miller Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
People are trying too hard. How do you know Gauthier wouldn't have approached him with a long term deal come June? I REALLY don't like Gauthier but was he supposed to negotiate an extension in january just to have it signed 6 months later?
I don't... but Pacioretty, who does know Gauthier, felt the need to comment on precisely that point.

It's not that hard for an employee to have an understanding of what his near-future is within a company based on his relationship with management. It could be just bad vibes, but something about how Patches relationship was with the previous management team gave him the impression that this kind of contract wasn't as likely...



Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Humm maybe not exactly after the date of eligibility, but around it, ya.
And im sure in some cases they do start working on extensions after the date.
You can have preliminary talks with the player before, see if he'd be interested in an extension.

Really I don't see what's hard to believe here..
neither do I?

player, based on whatever preliminary (or lack thereof) talks he had with the previous management team, didn't feel confident that a long-term deal was as likely.

I'm glad we got Patches locked-in for 7 more years, there is always a degree of risk, he could regress or pull a Higgins and plateau below his early-20's offensive peak. but i'd say that with his resiliency in battling back from a devastating injury (both physically, but perhaps more impressive, mentally), being married to ex-pro athlete, and his already impressive commitment to training http://25stanley.com/la-lune-de-miel...ss-hockey.html

the odds look promising that if nothing else, he'll be a dedicated pro throughout the contract, with only career-altering injury or unexplainable skill evaporation preventing him from being a 30 goal threat every year.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 03:24 PM
  #334
Kirk Muller
Registered User
 
Kirk Muller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Brrr -18, Gomez Cold
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,312
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
I think we use different definitions.

For me, scoring 50 goals, aka winning the Rocket Richard Trophy most years, makes one a franchise player.

A great player is the type of player that a Stanley Cup Contender might have six or seven of. Doughty, Quick, Kopitar, Brown, Richards, Scuderi, are all great players.
Thats a very vast definition of "great." That makes for a lot of "great" players.

Lets put it in another perspective.

If Quick is just a "great" player, that would make Price just a "good" goalie and not a franchise one like he has been tagged.

Saying Scuderi is a "great" players would put Gorges in the "great" category despite being just good.

Brown is a very good player not a great player. Him being a great player would indicate Desharnais, Cole and Pacioretty are great. On the contrary, this would also put these guys are par with Kopitar which isnt even close to reality.

Their is a huge separation between franchise player, or superstar, star or even great and good players.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 04:59 PM
  #335
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 6,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
Thats a very vast definition of "great." That makes for a lot of "great" players.

Lets put it in another perspective.

If Quick is just a "great" player, that would make Price just a "good" goalie and not a franchise one like he has been tagged.

Saying Scuderi is a "great" players would put Gorges in the "great" category despite being just good.

Brown is a very good player not a great player. Him being a great player would indicate Desharnais, Cole and Pacioretty are great. On the contrary, this would also put these guys are par with Kopitar which isnt even close to reality.

Their is a huge separation between franchise player, or superstar, star or even great and good players.
When I say a player is great, I mean "at least great". It includes players who are better than great.

Anyhow, I don't want to get into semantics. I have noticed that a lot of the forum disagrees as to the definition of 1st liner, 1st pairing, no. 1, star, superstar, franchise, good, great, generational, etc.

DAChampion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 05:08 PM
  #336
Maxpac
Registered User
 
Maxpac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: hockey city
Posts: 13,651
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avim86 View Post
I approve this comment Scuderi is a better more accomplished Gorges he
Would make a great mentor for Subban.
Not really the thread to discuss this, but with Gorges on board long term Scuderi is really unnecessary. What we lack is 1 mean mofo like what Komisarek use to bring us in the Carbo era. Wish we had signed Carkner instead of Cube (whom I respect a lot).

Maxpac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 05:16 PM
  #337
Neutrino
Registered User
 
Neutrino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 366
vCash: 500
I don't think the word you used means the same as you do, therefore you are wrong.

Nevermind what you meant...

Neutrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 07:01 PM
  #338
le_sean
Registered User
 
le_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 15,060
vCash: 500
I really hope Max can be a consistent 30-30 player.

His character is off the charts. He became a completely different player after his demotion to the AHL. It gave him focus. He has the shot, size, and speed.

I say we might have seen his peak in terms of offence but he will turn the corner and be a two-way force soon.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 07:07 PM
  #339
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score
 
Madam Kadri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Maryland native
Country: United States
Posts: 6,296
vCash: 500
Pacioretty will prove that he's more valuable than this contract real soon. Bank on it!!!!!!

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 07:46 PM
  #340
JGRB
#EllerThugLife
 
JGRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,642
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I really hope Max can be a consistent 30-30 player.

His character is off the charts. He became a completely different player after his demotion to the AHL. It gave him focus. He has the shot, size, and speed.

I say we might have seen his peak in terms of offence but he will turn the corner and be a two-way force soon.
His game has morphed into a style that IMO resembles that of Mike Cammalleri, except with more size, speed and tenacity to his game. When you watch the way he picks his spots and the way he's shooting, it's very reminiscent of how Cammy played. His shooting instincts, once thought to be one of his biggest flaws has become probably his biggest asset along with his speed, he himself has attributed this to getting tips from Cammy.

That being said, I don't doubt for a second that Pacioretty has the ability to flirt with some 80pt seasons in the same way Cammalleri did. Especially when you consider how much bigger, stronger and faster he is. I don't expect it every season, as long as he stays in the same 25-30G and 60ish point range I'll be very satisfied with the player.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:59 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.