HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rick Nash+S.Delisle+cond. 3rd to NYR for Dubinsky+Anisimov+Erixon+2013 1st (Part III)

Old
08-17-2012, 06:13 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

vCash: 500
Torts made some more comments to Jim Cerny about Nash

Quote:
"In Nash you are bringing in one of the top power forwards in the National Hockey League," said Tortorella. "We're very excited to have picked up a player that we think is just going to bust out and get to the next level of his career coming to the Rangers."
Quote:
"We did some homework on Nash---(Brad Richards) knows him a little bit, I talked to other players in the league and to coaches that have coached him---and it is the right fit," explained Tortorella, who is set to enter his fourth full season as the Blueshirts bench boss. "And it is the right time of his career to be here. I think he has the hunger to get there and become that go-to guy in the playoffs."
http://blueshirtsunited.com/photos/1...s-all-business

Torts knows Ken Hitchcock who coached Nash in Columbus. Nash had two excellent seasons when Hitch was the coach for 2 full seasons. Scott Arniel played for Torts in Buffalo. Arniel coached Nash for a 1 season and 1/2 another season. Hitch used Nash a lot on the PK. Arniel not as much.

Torts probably spoke to Vinny Prospal who played with Nash last season. Prospal spoke to Nash about the Rangers and Torts.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 06:24 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Torts made some more comments to Jim Cerny about Nash

http://blueshirtsunited.com/photos/1...s-all-business

Torts knows Ken Hitchcock who coached Nash in Columbus. Nash had two excellent seasons when Hitch was the coach for 2 full seasons. Scott Arniel played for Torts in Buffalo. Arniel coached Nash for a 1 season and 1/2 another season. Hitch used Nash a lot on the PK. Arniel not as much.

Torts probably spoke to Vinny Prospal who played with Nash last season. Prospal spoke to Nash about the Rangers and Torts.
Exactly, I always kind of looked at the Nash that played for Hitchcock as the Nash we'd see in NY. I think that was when he was close to at his best and had a coach that utilized his skill set. I think he will do well here.

Barbara Underhill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 07:06 AM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Nashty View Post
Exactly, I always kind of looked at the Nash that played for Hitchcock as the Nash we'd see in NY. I think that was when he was close to at his best and had a coach that utilized his skill set. I think he will do well here.
Im thinking the same way, torts will deffinitelly utilize Nash's skills wherever possible, and with a solid supporting team around him, elite goalie, a number one center and a bonified top 3 winger skating next to him I really think Nash can take a step forward and top his career numbers in NY.

SwedishBullet62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 07:20 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdanger20 View Post
Im thinking the same way, torts will deffinitelly utilize Nash's skills wherever possible, and with a solid supporting team around him, elite goalie, a number one center and a bonified top 3 winger skating next to him I really think Nash can take a step forward and top his career numbers in NY.
Excited to see the Nash/Richards combo I think they'll have some great games together. I remember in an interview or an article I think Nash said he had a player skate up to him and tell him "You gotta get out of Columbus." When I read it I thought it could be Richards, who knows obviously but I think if Brad Richards says "Hey come play with me I'll be your dish master" a lot of players would jump at the idea.

Got a little side tracked there, but that Lundqvist interview and the Torts comments make me think that Nash must be pretty dang excited to come to NY, everyone wants to see him thrive and establish himself among the leagues best. I think he can do it, not going to make any predictions as far as point production or anything though. Just think he could match his career highs easily, and if you use Gaborik as a benchmark he has increased his production by 8%.

Old
08-17-2012, 07:54 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Hitch used Nash in every situation. Nash had 9 SHG in the only 2 full seasons Hitch was in Columbus. Nash scored 78 goals in those 2 years. Hitch is a hard ass like Torts. I was watching a Columbus broadcast last season. Jeff Rimer couldn't understand why Nash wasn't used more on the PK when Nash scored a SHG. I think it was against Pitt.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 08:14 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Excited to see the Nash/Richards combo I think they'll have some great games together. I remember in an interview or an article I think Nash said he had a player skate up to him and tell him "You gotta get out of Columbus." When I read it I thought it could be Richards, who knows obviously but I think if Brad Richards says "Hey come play with me I'll be your dish master" a lot of players would jump at the idea.

Got a little side tracked there, but that Lundqvist interview and the Torts comments make me think that Nash must be pretty dang excited to come to NY, everyone wants to see him thrive and establish himself among the leagues best. I think he can do it, not going to make any predictions as far as point production or anything though. Just think he could match his career highs easily, and if you use Gaborik as a benchmark he has increased his production by 8%.
I think Nash and Richards are gonna kill it together. With likely Callahan on the RW for some sand paper

Stepan and Gaborik seemed to have good chemistry and the wild card is Kredier . that kid could score a ton on that line.

I like Hagelin on a 3rd line and being bumped up whenever. I also see him playing the PK regularily. I am willing to give Boyle a chance on the 3rd line although some are hard on the guy. Pyatt is the real wildcard. It sounds like he is streaky but he can score in bunches

Halpern is good for faceoffs and PK while Rupp and Asham apparently have some chemistry playing with each other and will punch people in the face.

I like the Forward group alot adn really think Miller is going to be on this team ala Hagelin by midway through the yr.

Hoping Thomas can surprise me but for some reason I think his size may hinder him. hope I am wrong. Also who knows how Hrvik, Yogan,etc will do in camp. Maybe even a Haley or Segal surprises us. I see one of those two as the cheap spare.

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 08:16 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Hitch used Nash in every situation. Nash had 9 SHG in the only 2 full seasons Hitch was in Columbus. Nash scored 78 goals in those 2 years. Hitch is a hard ass like Torts. I was watching a Columbus broadcast last season. Jeff Rimer couldn't understand why Nash wasn't used more on the PK when Nash scored a SHG. I think it was against Pitt.
Yeah he was actually pretty good on the PK and a legit threat, in one of the 100 highlight reels of him, or maybe all of them there is one where he takes the puck away from Detroit at the blue line and is gone then scores. He has some pretty good wheels for a guy his size. If you can have him out with someone like Callahan who forces a lot of turnovers at the blue line it's a legitimate threat.

The thing about hard ass coaches like Torts and Hitchcock is that they get the most out of their guys. Look at what Torts got out of Lecavalier, and they had a pretty public feud going for awhile. As long as the player isn't a drama queen and can handle the criticism you really benefit from that kind of coach. Look at Stralman, Torts didn't like him at all in the beginning but he turned him into a very serviceable D-man.

Old
08-17-2012, 11:42 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Yeah he was actually pretty good on the PK and a legit threat, in one of the 100 highlight reels of him, or maybe all of them there is one where he takes the puck away from Detroit at the blue line and is gone then scores. He has some pretty good wheels for a guy his size. If you can have him out with someone like Callahan who forces a lot of turnovers at the blue line it's a legitimate threat.

The thing about hard ass coaches like Torts and Hitchcock is that they get the most out of their guys. Look at what Torts got out of Lecavalier, and they had a pretty public feud going for awhile. As long as the player isn't a drama queen and can handle the criticism you really benefit from that kind of coach. Look at Stralman, Torts didn't like him at all in the beginning but he turned him into a very serviceable D-man.
im pretty sure he had a natural hat trick in that game, with 2 of the 3 goals coming short handed.

With Torts, he gets players to play their best...he doesnt always call out players, he motivates different players differently. Stralman needed a kick in the ass. Stepan seems to need nurturing....hes a great coach, one of the best. 10 times better than Renney.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 11:54 AM
turcotte8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
im pretty sure he had a natural hat trick in that game, with 2 of the 3 goals coming short handed.

With Torts, he gets players to play their best...he doesnt always call out players, he motivates different players differently. Stralman needed a kick in the ass. Stepan seems to need nurturing....hes a great coach, one of the best. 10 times better than Renney.
I hope you realize you just started a 10-15 page discussion of who was better.

turcotte8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 11:58 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:

Tortorella has grown on me, but you're description of him is off. Every article I've read from every player that lauds Torts says the best thing about him if he treats everyone exactly the same - so lets not act like hes kicking Stralman's ass and then turning around and patting Stepan on the back. As for the "he gets players to play their best" comment? Yea, sometimes. Then theres a ton of other players that he throws under the bus and out of town if theres even a hint they dont match his expectations.

And the cheapshot at Renney, who had rosters that are so far below this current one...is that really necessary? Havent we been down that road before? Where you said that Tortorella could unlock the offensive potential of that pitiful 08-09 roster?

It only took 3 years, Marian Gaborik, Brad Richards, some luck on defense, and revamping nearly that entire squad to make this team competitive - and they're STILL not an offensive force just yet.

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 12:27 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:

You can't have him out with Callahan. What forward is there to take the faceoff?

iamitter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 12:30 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Tortorella has grown on me, but you're description of him is off. Every article I've read from every player that lauds Torts says the best thing about him if he treats everyone exactly the same - so lets not act like hes kicking Stralman's ass and then turning around and patting Stepan on the back. As for the "he gets players to play their best" comment? Yea, sometimes. Then theres a ton of other players that he throws under the bus and out of town if theres even a hint they dont match his expectations.

And the cheapshot at Renney, who had rosters that are so far below this current one...is that really necessary? Havent we been down that road before? Where you said that Tortorella could unlock the offensive potential of that pitiful 08-09 roster?

It only took 3 years, Marian Gaborik, Brad Richards, some luck on defense, and revamping nearly that entire squad to make this team competitive - and they're STILL not an offensive force just yet.
Meanwhile Tom Renney has been fired yet again.

Ive read a few articles that say Torts adapts his style depending on what players need. Some players simply do not respond to screaming...

Old
08-17-2012, 12:32 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:

Ive read a few articles that say Torts adapts his style depending on what players need. Some players simply do not respond to screaming...
Renney was given the Edmonton Oilers roster to be fair.

Such a bad coach got an assistant coaching job with the Red Wings!

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 01:07 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:

Thats real fair. He should've been dominating with a roster full of teenagers, no defense, and no goaltending. I honestly dont know why you feel the need to throw cheapshots towards Renney whenever you get a chance.

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 01:11 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Thats real fair. He should've been dominating with a roster full of teenagers, no defense, and no goaltending. I honestly dont know why you feel the need to throw cheapshots towards Renney whenever you get a chance.
dominating? no. i would never expect that of such a young team. but a bottom feeder yet again? no, i expect more than that. They had enough talent to be a ~9-11 (88-90 pts) team..especially being in (arguably) the worst division in the West

Old
08-17-2012, 01:18 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

also, the Rangers were a younger team than Edmonton last year. Edmonton had a better offense than Los Angeles & St. Louis, and was right on par with teams like Phoenix, not far off from NJ, etc.

Their D, allowed roughly the same amount of goals as chicago, ottawa, washington, and philly....all playoff teams.

Regarding goaltending, they got .914 and .910 sv%s from their top 2 goalies....

better than Chicago, better than the Penguins, etc, etc, etc.

Their roster problems are overblown. They had a mediocre offense, a mediocre defense and mediocre goaltending. They did not have a mediocre season...they had a putrid season.

Old
08-17-2012, 01:22 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

regarding Renney going to Detroit...i think its as easy as...hes likeable. Hes a very articulate guy, the players love him. The perfect guy to offset a hardass like babcock.

id love for him to have been an assistant coach to a guy like Torts..a buffer for the players when Torts wears too thin...clearly that wasnt going to happen.

I just dont think hes a good coach, i dont think he ever gets the best out of his players, and basically road the coat tails of 2 players (Jagr and Lundqvist) to getting a whole lotta love he didnt deserve. a below average coach, with a likeable personality.

Old
08-17-2012, 04:35 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
dominating? no. i would never expect that of such a young team. but a bottom feeder yet again? no, i expect more than that. They had enough talent to be a ~9-11 (88-90 pts) team..especially being in (arguably) the worst division in the West
They had enough talent for about 60 games. Kinda hard to win when your defense is garbage and you lose half of your top-six forwards for 20ish games.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 04:36 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by turcotte8 View Post
I hope you realize you just started a 10-15 page discussion of who was better.
Discussion?

Anyone who thinks Renney is of similar caliber to Torts isn't really worth discussing anything with.

"Okay, Joel. You've had your fun. Give your brother his pads back." - Trxjw
Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 04:41 PM
turcotte8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Discussion?

Anyone who thinks Renney is of similar caliber to Torts isn't really worth discussing anything with.
I agree with you but there are a few people on here who for some reason don't.

turcotte8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 12:42 AM
Edge

Torts and Renney are almost polar opposites.

Renney is a likeable guy, gives his players a lot of rope but ultimately is a pretty average coach.

Torts is not terribly likeable, is a control freak but ultimately is an above average coach.

But at the end of the day, Torts gets better results. Like him or not.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 06:34 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by turcotte8 View Post
I agree with you but there are a few people on here who for some reason don't.
Oh, I know you agree. Sorry that wasn't clear.

The delusional people who think Renney is some great coach and Torts is some throwaway are at least a shrinking group. More and more come to see the error of their ways and repent their ridiculous previous views.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 06:53 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
You can't have him out with Callahan. What forward is there to take the faceoff?
Stu Bickel will take all of the faceoffs for that PK unit. Haha.

Oversight on my part, then put him out with Boyle. I don't expect him to play the PK a bunch but in games were they might be able to get a shorty based on the other teams PP style you use him.

As far as Renney and Torts go, I used to love Renney and I hated Torts. I thought Renney was good for the young kids and that Torts wouldn't be. Turns out I was half right. I thought Renney would do well in Edmonton, I was wrong. He's the perfect assistant coach but not much as far as a head coach. Torts has gotten much more likable and I think he's matured and isn't as in your face now.

Last edited by Barbara Underhill: 08-18-2012 at 06:59 AM.
Old
08-18-2012, 08:04 AM
ncmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
I think we lost a lot of depth in Dubi/AA/Erixon in that trade. I'm not too worried about our first because we have a lot of young talent in the pipes and on the team.

I think nash is going to be dirty. I just think this year both Dubinsky and AA were going to have huge years and essentially made up a line one of our best lines in the past couple years. (Dubi-AA-Cally). AA didn't grow like we had hoped and Dubi was playing hurt or something but he's gonna turn it around. I know it.
the team didn't lose that much depth. Erixon was not on the team so he can't be counted on the depth chart. Nash replaces either Dubinsky or Anisimov so the team only really loses one player off the depth chart

ncmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 08:06 AM
ncmike

Quote:
hypothetically you could look at it as simple as, Pyatt and Nash for Dubinsky and Anisimov.

Dubinsky+Anisimov last year = 26 goals
Pyatt+Nash last year = 39 goals

Just based on that alone, it's a fairly significant improvement.

Next year let's compare how Nash does relative to the other 2 guys. It would not at all surprise me if Dubinsky+Anisimov both have big years (for them...~20 goals each) because they are gonna get prime minutes in an anemic offense with #1 PP mins. Nash should STILL outscore both of them combined.
better to compare their totals in the playoffs when it really matters

ncmike is offline   Reply With Quote