HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wayne Simmonds Signs Extension (per media: 6 years, $3.84m cap hit)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-16-2012, 10:41 PM
  #126
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,875
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersjamminontheone View Post
Why not focus on the fact we currently have a top 5 forward in the league? Cause he didn't play for Kitchener!
How incredibly condescending. Thanks for reminding me why I don't hang out here very often anymore.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 11:11 PM
  #127
Brozgalov
Registered User
 
Brozgalov's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bucks County, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 338
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
Here goes a interview with Simmer I like how he started it off. Tpanotch just makes it confusing after that.

http://t.co/k6vKj72D
Jesus Christ, Panotchio is a ****ing idiot. I'm pretty sure he's been 100% confident there will be a lockout since last decade. He constantly tweets about how he isn't doing any hockey related work because there won't be a season. He's doom and gloom all the ****ing time and the first question he asks here is about the lockout and keeps mentioning.. "...if we have a season".

SHUT UP PANOTCHIO. This guy needs to be fired. I'm sorry, but I am pretty sure any knowledgeable fan can ask better questions.

Brozgalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 12:12 AM
  #128
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 31,614
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclear reactor View Post
Could get better if there are salary concessions in the new CBA.

I wonder if Holmgren wants to get Hartnell under contract before the CBA as well to get a similar salary cut if he believes that will be part of the deal.
I dont think Holmgren is going to be able to get Hartnell signed to an extension until sometime early next summer IMO. The next contract is very likely to be Hartnell's last big one.
Of course the Flyers have Timonen to worry about next offseason as well.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 12:29 AM
  #129
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 38,164
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brozgalov View Post
Jesus Christ, Panotchio is a ****ing idiot. I'm pretty sure he's been 100% confident there will be a lockout since last decade. He constantly tweets about how he isn't doing any hockey related work because there won't be a season. He's doom and gloom all the ****ing time and the first question he asks here is about the lockout and keeps mentioning.. "...if we have a season".

SHUT UP PANOTCHIO. This guy needs to be fired. I'm sorry, but I am pretty sure any knowledgeable fan can ask better questions.
I'm dead serious when I say that anybody on this forum, if given half an hour with any Flyer player and proper prep time, could easily conduct a far more insightful and fascinating interview than Timmeh. Hell, at least the average person here would likely be smart enough to double check the spelling of players' names.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 04:43 AM
  #130
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!
 
Hockeypete49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 4,530
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Two differences: Those 5 players come with a much higher cap hit (hell, pick any two in a year or two), and Richards/Carter have a Cup. Until the Flyers also raise the Cup, the term "brilliant" is a huge exaggeration.
Do you really think Richards was the reason they won the cup? The kid between the nets was the reason. Yes both of those trades were great. And I thought the world of Jeff and Mike.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 04:50 AM
  #131
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!
 
Hockeypete49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 4,530
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
I refuse to give GMs credit for building a very good team from a bunch of Top 5 picks. When the Oilers become a great team, I don't want to hear a word about how great of a GM Steve Tambellini is because, it's nonsense.

Shero inherited Malkin, Crosby, Letang, Orpik, MAF and drafted an obvious Staal. As far as I can tell, all Shero has done is get James Neal. Let's be real and say Malkin and Crosby alone make that team a contender. So I'm not giving Shero much credit at all.

Lombardi also was handed the core of his team through the draft. I know it's possible to have busts (Hickey), but most Top 5-10 picks will be locks. He had many of those as the Kings were awful for a while. I'll give him credit for this past year of course, but I am not convinced he's a better GM than Holmgren.

I respect GMs more that get a great player from late draft picks, continually try to improve their team for immediate future, and make pretty good trades. Holmgren really does all of those things.

Perhaps we value different things or I'm just crazy, but Holmgren is getting unnecessary slack here. God, I hate having a GM that does everything he can to acquire top players like Parise, Suter, Weber, Briere, Timonen, Pronger, etc.

What an awful GM
I still say he is a top five GM in this league.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 05:01 AM
  #132
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!
 
Hockeypete49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 4,530
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brozgalov View Post
Jesus Christ, Panotchio is a ****ing idiot. I'm pretty sure he's been 100% confident there will be a lockout since last decade. He constantly tweets about how he isn't doing any hockey related work because there won't be a season. He's doom and gloom all the ****ing time and the first question he asks here is about the lockout and keeps mentioning.. "...if we have a season".

SHUT UP PANOTCHIO. This guy needs to be fired. I'm sorry, but I am pretty sure any knowledgeable fan can ask better questions.
Not a fan of his at all. They should make him a eagle beat writer! He likes to hear himself talk. Trust me, he is not a well liked dude in the locker room.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 05:45 AM
  #133
Reaper1097
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 170
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brozgalov View Post
Jesus Christ, Panotchio is a ****ing idiot. I'm pretty sure he's been 100% confident there will be a lockout since last decade. He constantly tweets about how he isn't doing any hockey related work because there won't be a season. He's doom and gloom all the ****ing time and the first question he asks here is about the lockout and keeps mentioning.. "...if we have a season".

SHUT UP PANOTCHIO. This guy needs to be fired. I'm sorry, but I am pretty sure any knowledgeable fan can ask better questions.
I cannot stand Panotchio. I think he is by far the worst flyers bear writer and everytime I see him talk on tv or radio it makes my skin crawl. He constantly has an agenda and/or opinion and has to make sure everyone knows it by slanting every article he writes or interview he gives, even without someone asking for it. If someone asks "in your opinion what will the flyers do next" then he has every right to give his opinion. Other than that he should be the conduit between the team and us, the fans. He should report only the facts and any inside information he is privileged to and that is it. God he makes me mad.

When the flyers were rumored to be going after bobby ryan, Panotchio should have just reported it to us all instead of constantly telling anyone who will listen that HE thinks it is a bad idea. It doesnt matter what HE thinks. It could have been a bad idea but that isnt for him to tell us and it feels like if the flyers did acquire bobby ryan Panotchio would already have the "I told ya so" article written and just itching to release if and when everything went bad for the team.

I would take Randy Miller anyday over Panotchio and he is a friggin Penguins fan...

Reaper1097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 07:12 AM
  #134
BillDineen
Registered User
 
BillDineen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,683
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper1097 View Post
I cannot stand Panotchio. I think he is by far the worst flyers bear writer and everytime I see him talk on tv or radio it makes my skin crawl. He constantly has an agenda and/or opinion and has to make sure everyone knows it by slanting every article he writes or interview he gives, even without someone asking for it. If someone asks "in your opinion what will the flyers do next" then he has every right to give his opinion. Other than that he should be the conduit between the team and us, the fans. He should report only the facts and any inside information he is privileged to and that is it. God he makes me mad.

When the flyers were rumored to be going after bobby ryan, Panotchio should have just reported it to us all instead of constantly telling anyone who will listen that HE thinks it is a bad idea. It doesnt matter what HE thinks. It could have been a bad idea but that isnt for him to tell us and it feels like if the flyers did acquire bobby ryan Panotchio would already have the "I told ya so" article written and just itching to release if and when everything went bad for the team.

I would take Randy Miller anyday over Panotchio and he is a friggin Penguins fan...
I don't read Tim P. anymore, ever, but I do watch the interviews with Homer/Lavy/Players on FlyersTV and the way he phrases his questions makes me want to punch him. They are always phrased giving his opinion in a manner that seeks conformation or he has built in criticism.

EDIT. I just started the Simmonds interview on FlyersTV and sure enough Tim P. builds his view into the first question. What a dick.

BillDineen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 08:05 AM
  #135
ELopez
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1
vCash: 500
Been lurking for news for a long time on these forums, easily the best place for flyers news thanks to all you guys. Compelled to post just because of my hatred for Panotchio. Honestly I wouldnt mind a one day contract with Tortorella just to see him bring the hammer down on his ass, lol

ELopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 10:05 AM
  #136
Larry44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,144
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
It's very relevant when we're discussing the performance of a GM. Lombardi built his team logically and carefully, and has a Cup to show for it.
Are we talking about the same Lombardi?

The guy whose young team was touted as contenders but choked year after year after year, until it was about to cost him his job if they hadn't won this year?

The same guy who struck out repeatedly trying to get some scoring support for Kopitar? Couldn't make a big trade. Couldn't sign any big UFAs (e.g. Kovalchuk).

The same guy whose team was borderline to miss the playoffs in February so he had to fire his coach?

The guy who had so little confidence in his team that when he made the deal to get Carter, he traded JJ and included a 1st Round Pick in the deal - but insisted that it be Lottery Protected in case they missed the playoffs?

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 10:30 AM
  #137
BrindamoursNose
Registered User
 
BrindamoursNose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,793
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
I still say he is a top five GM in this league.
You must not have read my post. I was being sarcastic when I called him an awful GM.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 10:42 AM
  #138
thelos
Bunk
 
thelos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,610
vCash: 500
Holmgren is very good at player evaluation and scouting. His problems lie with being too rash, not managing the cap well, and overpaying useless players

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 11:14 AM
  #139
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 31,614
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Are we talking about the same Lombardi?

The guy whose young team was touted as contenders but choked year after year after year, until it was about to cost him his job if they hadn't won this year?

The same guy who struck out repeatedly trying to get some scoring support for Kopitar? Couldn't make a big trade. Couldn't sign any big UFAs (e.g. Kovalchuk).

The same guy whose team was borderline to miss the playoffs in February so he had to fire his coach?

The guy who had so little confidence in his team that when he made the deal to get Carter, he traded JJ and included a 1st Round Pick in the deal - but insisted that it be Lottery Protected in case they missed the playoffs?
LA was out of the playoffs in the west when they traded for Carter.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 12:04 PM
  #140
StevensCakeBakerBacker
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country:
Posts: 1,288
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper1097 View Post
I cannot stand Panotchio. I think he is by far the worst flyers bear writer and everytime I see him talk on tv or radio it makes my skin crawl. He constantly has an agenda and/or opinion and has to make sure everyone knows it by slanting every article he writes or interview he gives, even without someone asking for it. If someone asks "in your opinion what will the flyers do next" then he has every right to give his opinion. Other than that he should be the conduit between the team and us, the fans. He should report only the facts and any inside information he is privileged to and that is it. God he makes me mad.

When the flyers were rumored to be going after bobby ryan, Panotchio should have just reported it to us all instead of constantly telling anyone who will listen that HE thinks it is a bad idea. It doesnt matter what HE thinks. It could have been a bad idea but that isnt for him to tell us and it feels like if the flyers did acquire bobby ryan Panotchio would already have the "I told ya so" article written and just itching to release if and when everything went bad for the team.

I would take Randy Miller anyday over Panotchio and he is a friggin Penguins fan...
If that is true, he will never get an interview with Bryz.

StevensCakeBakerBacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 12:23 PM
  #141
DrHamburg
Registered User
 
DrHamburg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Are we talking about the same Lombardi?

The guy whose young team was touted as contenders but choked year after year after year, until it was about to cost him his job if they hadn't won this year?

The same guy who struck out repeatedly trying to get some scoring support for Kopitar? Couldn't make a big trade. Couldn't sign any big UFAs (e.g. Kovalchuk).

The same guy whose team was borderline to miss the playoffs in February so he had to fire his coach?

The guy who had so little confidence in his team that when he made the deal to get Carter, he traded JJ and included a 1st Round Pick in the deal - but insisted that it be Lottery Protected in case they missed the playoffs?
I am confused...he is a bad GM cause he protected his team this season in case the trade didnt work?

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 12:25 PM
  #142
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,508
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHamburg View Post
I am confused...he is a bad GM cause he protected his team this season in case the trade didnt work?
He's saying that the GM didnt have THAT much faith in the team to make playoffs since they wanted to have that season Lottery Protected.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 05:44 PM
  #143
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,908
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
How incredibly condescending. Thanks for reminding me why I don't hang out here very often anymore.
Agreed. I know for myself, I value your opinion and what you bring to the table. That comment was uncalled for.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 06:45 PM
  #144
Larry44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,144
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
He's saying that the GM didnt have THAT much faith in the team to make playoffs since they wanted to have that season Lottery Protected.
Yes, Lombardi built a good team, clearly, but it wasn't so meticulously planned that he wasn't crapping his pants in February over whether he would make the playoffs at all. He was hedging his bets against disaster, and it ended up being the 30th pick!

Winning the Cup was like a lottery win for him in June, in Feb. his job was just about toast. The team went on a roll at the same time others got injury bugs, esp. Vancouver, and his goalie won him the Cup. Good on him but it wasn't like the final intricate stages of a master plan, it was a bit fluky.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 07:22 PM
  #145
JVR21
G
 
JVR21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 7,880
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
I did nothing of the sort. It was a discussion about Holmgren.

But let me ask you -- if Simmonds goes back to his usual production (last year was a phenomenal year and outshone every single year he's ever played, including junior), is it a good contract? If the new CBA results in a lower cap hit and Holmgren has to jettison a couple of good players because of it, is it a good contract?

I don't hate Simmonds. I dislike that a GM signed a player to a big raise:
- who had no reason to hurry to sign a player when there are massive question marks about what the league will look like and what the salary cap will be
- when said player will be an RFA at the end of this season (assuming there is one, of course) and will remain Flyer property, thus lessening the need to sign him immediately
- when said player is a one-dimensional player who just had the year of his dreams and we have no way of knowing whether he can repeat it or not.
You do realize that salaries and cap hits will rollback proportionally as well, right?

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 08:22 PM
  #146
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener
 
SeanCWombBroom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELopez View Post
Been lurking for news for a long time on these forums, easily the best place for flyers news thanks to all you guys. Compelled to post just because of my hatred for Panotchio. Honestly I wouldnt mind a one day contract with Tortorella just to see him bring the hammer down on his ass, lol
I would be pretty comical, no doubt.

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 09:52 PM
  #147
35NW8ING
#LaviPondHockeyFail
 
35NW8ING's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Yes, Lombardi built a good team, clearly, but it wasn't so meticulously planned that he wasn't crapping his pants in February over whether he would make the playoffs at all. He was hedging his bets against disaster, and it ended up being the 30th pick!

Winning the Cup was like a lottery win for him in June, in Feb. his job was just about toast. The team went on a roll at the same time others got injury bugs, esp. Vancouver, and his goalie won him the Cup. Good on him but it wasn't like the final intricate stages of a master plan, it was a bit fluky.
It wasn't fluky at all. A long range plan to build from the net out, with a strong defense first system, and it culminated with a cup in June. LA had been molding their team this way for at least 3 years. A team doesn't always reach it's peak with game 1 in October after several years of planning, and then roll through 82 games and four rounds to a cup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
Do you really think Richards was the reason they won the cup? The kid between the nets was the reason. Yes both of those trades were great. And I thought the world of Jeff and Mike.
Yeah, they played so awful in front of him. Every save was a great scoring opportunity for the other team. Quick was out there all by himself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
I still say he is a top five GM in this league.
Lombardi + Cup > Homer with no Cup


Last edited by Beef Invictus: 08-17-2012 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Merging for efficiency
35NW8ING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 10:05 PM
  #148
35NW8ING
#LaviPondHockeyFail
 
35NW8ING's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
And the counter argument is what if he's starting to realize his potential and this signing turns out to be a steal? Like spong said, he now has an expanded role with this team, a lot more opportunity than he had in LA. I'm inclined to think that last season could be his averages going forward, wouldn't that make it a great signing?

And what is Wayne's one an only dimension you speak of?
Shoveling home garbage 2 feet outside the crease. He's a push and glide skater, can't create opportunities for himself, and can't play on the wall. His entire success hinges on the puck luckily bouncing to him at the exact moment he has his stick on the ice, to swat it back towards the net. He has no shot to speak of, and gives us absolutely nothing when we don't have the puck.

At least Briere can skate, pass, and shoot proficiently. Briere had many seasons of success before getting a big contract. Giving Simmonds this deal is as bad as giving JVR his deal. Too early, and not enough production to warrant the years or $$.

35NW8ING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 10:20 PM
  #149
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 14,001
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35NW8ING View Post
Shoveling home garbage 2 feet outside the crease. He's a push and glide skater, can't create opportunities for himself, and can't play on the wall. His entire success hinges on the puck luckily bouncing to him at the exact moment he has his stick on the ice, to swat it back towards the net. He has no shot to speak of, and gives us absolutely nothing when we don't have the puck.
Basically, you're saying he's Scott Hartnell without the falling on his ass part.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 10:23 PM
  #150
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!
 
Hockeypete49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 4,530
vCash: 500
Yeah, they played so awful in front of him. Every save was a great scoring opportunity for the other team. Quick was out there all by himself.

So they go through the playoffs and win the cup with Bernier in net?


Lombardi + Cup > Homer with no Cup[/QUOTE]


So what point are you trying to make here? Are you saying lombardi is one and Homgren is two. Well thanks.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:32 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.