HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey
Canadian Junior Hockey Devoted to the CHL (OHL, QMJHL, WHL), CJAHL, and its leagues

GMHL - What is this league's deal?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-16-2012, 01:35 PM
  #51
walker33
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 310
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawafan66 View Post
Not sure the GMHL should be allowed to take credit for Bacon. As noted, he only played 1 season and that was 4 years ago.
thats what i am saying. they seem to take credit for all these players who played a season or 5 or 6 games there, i dont get it. If it was a great league it would be certified by hockey canada therefore being a legitimate league. As of right now its still an "outlaw League" and bacon got his scholarship from playing with the pickering panthers of the OJHL and not the rattlers of the gmhl.

walker33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 10:45 PM
  #52
Hockeypop
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 9
vCash: 500
Yeah...I don't know all the facts on him. Either he was a mid-season signing by Bradford or he was a back-up 'tender that season. Four goaltenders played for Bradford that season. Bacon played 10 regular season games and about five playoff games, playing well in the playoffs with a 2.01 GAA for those games. He moved on to play elsewhere after that season.

I think the GMHL can legitimately say that it was a part of his development as a hockey player. He's an "alumnus" of the League. But, as he played but one season in the GMHL, he shouldn't be claimed as a "product" of the GMHL, nor does the League make that claim, I hope.

Hockeypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 11:14 PM
  #53
Hockeypop
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 9
vCash: 500
Again, I must correct friend walker33.

Mr. Bacon is an alumnus of the GMHL. His path to his signing with Mercyhurst took him through the GMHL to get to Pickering. In fact, as you seem to want to push the issue, I have no reason to believe that his stint in the GMHL, leading him to Pickering, wasn't crucial to his development. And neither do you.

And, with respect to Hockey Canada, their endorsement, of lack thereof, has no bearing on the GMHL's quality or legitimacy. Hockey Canada is irrelevant. What is relevant is the experience the players have in the League and what is legitimate is the interest that NCAA colleges and universities and solid professional teams on both sides of the Atlantic are showing in the quality of GMHL players.

I understand that Hockey Canada is not pleased by the fact that it is irrelevant. But, as all Hockey Canada has to offer the GMHL is its "blessing", I think the GMHL is doing quite nicely without Hockey Canada. In fact, I would encourage other leagues to follow in the GMHL's footsteps. Hockey Canada is a governing body, not an organization designed to help or assist players, but rather to regulate their opportunities.

Hockeypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 11:58 AM
  #54
Tigers1992
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gameon View Post
For some obscure reason, you obviously care about the league. You post everywhere about it. Just surprised you're not up to speed, regardless of how many teams fold.
He brought up points, if you want to debate those points, then debate them. Whats the point in slaging him and not touching on the points that he brings up?

Tigers1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 12:30 PM
  #55
Tigers1992
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,361
vCash: 500
I've scouted in the OHL. I personally know that all OHL scouts are told not to go to this league, do to the political climate that is involved. I don't know to many NCAA D1 guys that are there either. Most D3 commits happen without much live viewings, simply see a player on a summer team and sign him up.

I get that you have been involved in the league 'Hockeypop', however I think that those with an unbiased eye look at the history of the league, the lack of stability, the money that is charged and the lack of significant success, ask themselves, whats the point? Midget produce just as much, if not more talent to the same level of school that this 'Jr A' loop produces.

I have been to games in the past, as favours to friends who had kids in the league, and I have to say that the skill level just not there. Im surprised that anyone would think that anyone who was not involved in the league would think that they could compete in the top Jr A leagues in the Country. I do believe that Desoronto transferred to Jr C this year, which is probably the truly level of play.
3 parents of those players ended up loosing $1,000s because of money payed but services not rendered. They purchased a spot on a team, but where not rostered. Owners did not return calls, but kept the money.

As Walker stated, a lot of the 'Alumni' played very limited times (one player played 3 games to my knowledge), while others simply didn't go to the college that where claimed. Between that and calling itself 'JrA', I just feel that its not the most honest league to deal with. I can call myself scout of NHL level quality, but that doesn't make it so (its not).

To anyone who is considering being involved with this league, do your research. I think once you do, you'll change you mind. I know in the past 4-5 players when to Midget, payed 1/4th of the costs and still got a College commitment. One 96 that I know recently backed out of the GMHL based on some of the research his father (who is a lawyer) did. He is headed to Midget this year, and has been contacted by a D1 school based on his play on a travel summer team.

Now, If you would like to invite me down to a game HockeyPop and we can count the CHL/NCAA scouts in attendance together, I'd love to do so. Shoot me a DM and we can arrange, but I think I already know the number of scouts in attendance.


Last edited by Tigers1992: 08-17-2012 at 02:48 PM.
Tigers1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 12:55 PM
  #56
Tigers1992
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,361
vCash: 500
I did a few quick player look ups via rinknet and eliteprospects, and one thing that is seeming to stick out with the Alumni is that they come from a level, go to the GMHL and come back to the same level they started. Full disclsure, I only looked up 6-7 players, I would be interesting to see the examples if i dug deeper. I may actually do so in my down time.

Examples include....
Craig Peacock (No record of playing in the GMHL, but Ill trust them)
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=26283

Was listed as "progressed to higher levels of the game as a result of the development and experience in the GMHL"

Peacock was playing in Peterborough in 2004-2005. We went back to Peterborough in 2008.

Mattias Arvastsson
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=5403
was playing with Limhamn HC J20 in 2006-07, Played in the GMHL for 2007-08 in Brantford, but then went right back to Limhamn.

Anton Holm played with Nacka HK J20 in 2006-07, played in the GMHL, then went right back to NackaHK for the 2008-09 season.

Other examples, such as Will Laporte, Clint Windsor and such have no record of playing in the league, however with Windsor I do know he left Dundas Jr C to play 6 weeks in Inisfill.

I just wish the leauge was more honest about things. If they where, and didnt fluff up the 'Alumni', then I would be open to hearing more about how it helps players. But when I see European players come over to Ontario, spend upwards of $20k on a 'Jr A' product that they have been sold, only to go back to the same team they left? Thats not development gentleman, and presenting it as development, is dishonest.

Parents, dont trust me, dont trust owners, dont trust other posters. Simply trust your own homework/instincts. If you do that independend research, I promise you that you'll find Midget hockey is just as good, if not moe successful at moving players to the next level.


Last edited by Tigers1992: 08-17-2012 at 01:00 PM.
Tigers1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 02:30 PM
  #57
walker33
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 310
vCash: 500
if claiming to alumni like will laporte is what they need give it to him, will is tough as nails and i heard he is trying out in the ECHL this year which is awesome. But by all means he is not "talented" and most of his development before being cut was from the North Bay skyhawks/ trappers, the headline says Rattlers goalie commits D1 lol shameful propagnada by this league yet again. I dont get it.

walker33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 02:41 PM
  #58
walker33
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 310
vCash: 500
In all seriousness,

I have watched many games from the gmhl and many of the top level teams you talk about. The players just aren't there. Think of names like dylan sontag who was signed then cut from the North Bay Trappers, think of the players who were signed then cut by kirkland lake last season. Not too mention the many gmhlers who try to transer over to the cchl and other jr leagues in ontario. It is few and far between.

Not only have i watched many of these games but i have skated with myself many times players or alumni who have played a season or two and even led the league in scoring and sorry to say I was not impressed in anyway. They look like tiger says midget players at best. If I was a parent i would rather my son play Jr C or Midget for a season then play in the GMHL and that is just based on what I have seen from JR C who IMO have more talented players and even though this may sounds funny less goons then the GMHL does. Jr C has cleaned up its act especially if you look at teams like Uxbridge, Alliston, Penetang, Port Perry ect they have done lots for players and it is free to play.

Take it for what its worth. I do critisize the league a ton but thats because I deal with kids every single day who are trying to "make" it whether it be NCAA OHL or Pro and it would kill me if any of the kids i trained made the decision to go play there and waste there money when they would get more of a chance to develop playing midget or JR C somewhere instead of being flagged a guy who played in the GMHL. Believe it or not it happens. I see it all the time. I have friends who played there as of last season and they even say how bad it was and how easy it was. Winning games by 19 goals sound fun to anyone? they werent challenged and if anything it regressed there game.

If you dont like my opinions on this league i appologize but I am a strong supporter of the GTHL. OMHA, CCHL, NOJHL ect all leagues and teams sanctioned that have helped produce the greatest players in Canada and have done it the right way...not breaking promises, not taking money, and not lurring players in with "this" and "that" and not producing.

Thats my 2 cents

Appreciate it

walker33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 03:05 PM
  #59
Propane Nightmares
Dearly Beloved
 
Propane Nightmares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: England land
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 42,062
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker33 View Post
thats what i am saying. they seem to take credit for all these players who played a season or 5 or 6 games there, i dont get it. If it was a great league it would be certified by hockey canada therefore being a legitimate league. As of right now its still an "outlaw League" and bacon got his scholarship from playing with the pickering panthers of the OJHL and not the rattlers of the gmhl.
The reason it isn't certified by Hockey Canada is because it has so many European imports, and I think they want to keep it that way to make money, for this reason it is so attractive to foreign players. You aren't allowed imports in Canadian Jr. A

Propane Nightmares is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 03:09 PM
  #60
Propane Nightmares
Dearly Beloved
 
Propane Nightmares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: England land
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 42,062
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
I did a few quick player look ups via rinknet and eliteprospects, and one thing that is seeming to stick out with the Alumni is that they come from a level, go to the GMHL and come back to the same level they started. Full disclsure, I only looked up 6-7 players, I would be interesting to see the examples if i dug deeper. I may actually do so in my down time.

Examples include....
Craig Peacock (No record of playing in the GMHL, but Ill trust them)
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=26283

Peacock was playing in Peterborough in 2004-2005. We went back to Peterborough in 2008
What you probably don't realise is the EPIHL is an adult league, before leaving Peacock was just a junior playing up for the senior team. I would say Peacock certainly benefitted from playing in the GMHL, if you look more closely at his stats he was just a kid sitting on the bench for a few games in the EPIHL, and only getting to play less than 20 junior games. Playing GMHL gets him what a 40+ game season with good ice time? Then he came back to the EPIHL and was a PPG player, then went on to score 94 points, then went on to play in the top tier, and now is one of the best players in the country.

However Peacock is an anomaly, most British guys who go to the GMHL aren't that good anyway and then come back and typically are no better than 3rd liners in the 2nd tier


Last edited by Propane Nightmares: 08-17-2012 at 03:19 PM.
Propane Nightmares is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 03:34 PM
  #61
Hockeypop
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 9
vCash: 500
I'm going to address myself to some pf the points raised by Tigers1992.

To pick an easy one, according to the "Players" information on the GMHL website, Clint Windsor played for for Innisfil in the GMHL in the 2009-2010 season, during which time he played 806 minutes in 15 games, going 11-4, with a 4.02 GAA and a .891 save percentage. He was 18 years old and was 6' 2", tipping the scales at 210 pounds. These stats indicate that he played much (about half) of the 42 game season, as I doubt that he played 15 consecutive games.

What Tigers (for short) says about honesty is, to some extent, true. The organization in Deseronto has, in my experience, been, for the last several years, uhhhh...shifty. While I know of no financial irregularities there personally, I am not surprised at the reports Tigers gives AND I would tend to accept the validity of them, not because I know Tigers (though I don't for a second doubt his honesty), but because financial irregularities seem characteristic of the Deseronto organization as I have seen them operate. There have been some good hockey players at Deseronto over the last few years. But, their ownership/administration has been in and out of disrepute throughout the four years in which I have been aware of the League. I am not aware of anyone who shed tears when Deseronto announced that it was moving out of the League and down to the "C" level.
Aside from Deseronto, I can't think of a team that is in or has been in the League in the last four years that I would consider to be dishonest. As I said in an earlier post, my view of the League has been almost exclusively limited to the top 3-5 teams in the League. Among those teams, sure, I've seen a couple of "slick" trades perhaps, though the players involved always agreed to them, which is a League rule. And, anyone who has been around hockey for a while knows that a coach's commitment on playing time, while probably honestly given, is always subject to re-interpretation at the coach's convenience later.

With respect to OHL scouts scouting the GMHL, or rather NOT scouting the GMHL, the majority of GMHL players are not realistic pro prospects, but many of them DO have a legitimate shot at an NCAA deal. They would lose that opportunity if they played in the OHL, so, for that reason alone, the GMHL would not be particularly fertile ground for the OHL to scout. What Tigers is suggesting, it sounds like, is that OHL scouts are being told not to scout the GMHL by their teams at the behest of Hockey Canada. Pursuant to what I opined in an earlier post, to the GMHL, Hockey Canada is irrelevant. And this is another demonstration that Hockey Canada is more interested in being a governing body than it is in expanding opportunities for young hockey players. What Hockey Canada tried to do to the citizens of Shelburne, Ontario, as a result of their support of the GMHL's "ALL-Russian" team in Shelburne a season or two ago should make all right-thinking Canadians ashamed to be Canadians. This is a well-known factual story which shows Hockey Canada to be nothing more that I described...interested in being a governing body first, foremost, and always, and the players be damned.

I DO agree with Tigers on the issue of "fluffing things up". I think that, as a seven year old league, the GMHL needs to continue to build name recognition in connection with good hockey, it needs to show that GMHL players can go on to play elsewhere and at higher levels, and a number of other things. As they haven't had a player yet go straight from the League to an NHL roster (but when did the NOJHL last send a kid straight to an NHL roster?) they count their victories where they find 'em. If you keep adding up your small victories, pretty soon the victories will become larger and larger. Do I REALLY see that Clint Windsor, who played a partial season several years ago in the GMHL and is NOW considered a prospect, is a guy that the GMHL should make a banner headline out of? No. he IS an alumnus and should be on a list of such. But making him front page GMHL news is "fluffing things up" and on that sort of thing I agree with Tigers.

And, in closing for now, I must still maintain what I said in an earlier post. For a young player with appropriate talent, determination, discipline, and work ethic, with Bob Bernstein now heading up player placement at the League level, the GMHL is moving players directly into both NCAA deals and solid pro contracts on both sides of the Atlantic with teams/leagues that are direct paths to the top levels of international hockey, including the NHL. I think more announcements will be coming by summer's end.

Hockeypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 05:43 PM
  #62
Tigers1992
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,361
vCash: 500
First off. Appriciate the well spoken nature of your posts. Most of the debating that I have done with those involved with the GMHL disove quickly into name calling (you saw it here before). It's nice to see a common, civil conversation.

I've been involved with minor hockey for roughly 10 years before I moved on to scout with the OHL. I have seen first hand alot of GMHL, because I have had alot of parents and kids come to me and ask about the league. My comments don't come from heresay, they come from first hand experiences.

Most of my experiences with people in the GMHL are similar. They would be happy to see you, but as soon as there was any conversation about inproprieites in the league, they quicky either change the subject or accuse you of something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypop View Post
What Tigers (for short) says about honesty is, to some extent, true. The organization in Deseronto has, in my experience, been, for the last several years, uhhhh...shifty. While I know of no financial irregularities there personally, I am not surprised at the reports Tigers gives AND I would tend to accept the validity of them, not because I know Tigers (though I don't for a second doubt his honesty), but because financial irregularities seem characteristic of the Deseronto organization as I have seen them operate. There have been some good hockey players at Deseronto over the last few years. But, their ownership/administration has been in and out of disrepute throughout the four years in which I have been aware of the League. I am not aware of anyone who shed tears when Deseronto announced that it was moving out of the League and down to the "C" level.
Aside from Deseronto, I can't think of a team that is in or has been in the League in the last four years that I would consider to be dishonest. As I said in an earlier post, my view of the League has been almost exclusively limited to the top 3-5 teams in the League. Among those teams, sure, I've seen a couple of "slick" trades perhaps, though the players involved always agreed to them, which is a League rule. And, anyone who has been around hockey for a while knows that a coach's commitment on playing time, while probably honestly given, is always subject to re-interpretation at the coach's convenience later.
My friend/contact did not have any issues with Desoronto. I have no idea what kind of program they run/ran. I never mentioned Desoronto, just for clarity. The team that took the money from my contacts is still in the GNML. The issue was that they signed a deal with a team that required money up front, but in the fine print of the agreement the team had the option to cut the player at any time. Come the start of the year, he was cut, and the team was $8,000 richer, as it was a non refundable payment. All legal, but very slimy. I don't care what the program is, or what the sum or money us, I couldn't live with myself If I was the team. The parents where ill informed and signed naively, that was their issue, however the team was...less then honest when. They found a spot in Midget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypop View Post
With respect to OHL scouts scouting the GMHL, or rather NOT scouting the GMHL, the majority of GMHL players are not realistic pro prospects, but many of them DO have a legitimate shot at an NCAA deal. They would lose that opportunity if they played in the OHL, so, for that reason alone, the GMHL would not be particularly fertile ground for the OHL to scout. What Tigers is suggesting, it sounds like, is that OHL scouts are being told not to scout the GMHL by their teams at the behest of Hockey Canada. Pursuant to what I opined in an earlier post, to the GMHL, Hockey Canada is irrelevant. And this is another demonstration that Hockey Canada is more interested in being a governing body than it is in expanding opportunities for young hockey players. What Hockey Canada tried to do to the citizens of Shelburne, Ontario, as a result of their support of the GMHL's "ALL-Russian" team in Shelburne a season or two ago should make all right-thinking Canadians ashamed to be Canadians. This is a well-known factual story which shows Hockey Canada to be nothing more that I described...interested in being a governing body first, foremost, and always, and the players be damned.
You are missing my point on this, and perhaps that was my fault for not articulating it well. When players where recruited, they where told that OHL scouts go to games. That, as you point out, doesn't happen. Goes back to the transparency. Why lie? Why stretch the truth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypop View Post
I DO agree with Tigers on the issue of "fluffing things up". I think that, as a seven year old league, the GMHL needs to continue to build name recognition in connection with good hockey, it needs to show that GMHL players can go on to play elsewhere and at higher levels, and a number of other things. As they haven't had a player yet go straight from the League to an NHL roster (but when did the NOJHL last send a kid straight to an NHL roster?) they count their victories where they find 'em. If you keep adding up your small victories, pretty soon the victories will become larger and larger. Do I REALLY see that Clint Windsor, who played a partial season several years ago in the GMHL and is NOW considered a prospect, is a guy that the GMHL should make a banner headline out of? No. he IS an alumnus and should be on a list of such. But making him front page GMHL news is "fluffing things up" and on that sort of thing I agree with Tigers.
Thats a big issue for me. I look at the list of 'Alumni' and shake my head. The players listed there play 10-15 games and then go back to the same spot that they where before. Thats not development, and pretending that you did these players a huge service is dishonest, in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypop View Post
And, in closing for now, I must still maintain what I said in an earlier post. For a young player with appropriate talent, determination, discipline, and work ethic, with Bob Bernstein now heading up player placement at the League level, the GMHL is moving players directly into both NCAA deals and solid pro contracts on both sides of the Atlantic with teams/leagues that are direct paths to the top levels of international hockey, including the NHL. I think more announcements will be coming by summer's end.

And my responce to that Is that we already have way to many leagues in Ontario to start with. Jr A, CCHL, Jr B, Jr C, NOJHL, Midget. The NCAA only takes 100 from Canada or so kids a year, there is only so much talent, why continue to dilute it and sell kids (especially foregn players who's parents reportedly go bankrupt) on Jr A when it just isn't there.

Why pay $8,000 - $20,000K when Midget has more success then the GMHL? I don't see it. I get that the owners see easy ways to make money, but I hate to see it on the backs of nieve parents/imports.

Again, I appriciate your passion for the league, but I just have seen so many negatives in this league that I just can't accept its worth the small positives that may come out, especially when those positives are usually on the backs of other leagues.


Last edited by Tigers1992: 08-17-2012 at 05:54 PM.
Tigers1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 01:16 AM
  #63
Hockeypop
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 9
vCash: 500
Tigers ---

Thank you for recognizing that I try to deal with the issues raised in these posts without pushing often frustrating conversations into personality disputes. And, I DO have my own issues with the GMHL. Notwithstanding my four year involvement with the League, I was banned from the Forum on their website after the Administrator of the site read a "private" e-mail I sent to another Forum member. The Administratror had unjustly attacked this nice lady's son, who I know to be a good guy, so I wrote her, assuring her that her son is well-respected and that the Administrator is well-known to be a "pompous, condescending, *******" whose opinion should be simply disregarded. The GMHL Forum has a "private" e-mail feature which, it turns out, is monitored by the Administrator of the Forum. How private is that? And, this, after 4 years of participation in the Forum, generally writing positive things, but occasionally pointing out areas of operations that need improvement.

As was discussed in earlier posts, it does cost money to play and to be billeted in the GMHL. I would never pay anyone a large sum of money up front that was non-refundable if my son or daughter could not remain for the entire season, for any reason. I have always found that owners of the most successful teams in the League are wuilling to spread out payments if asked. So, yes, I agree that what happened in the case you cite was slimy. I attribute the outcome to faults on both sides.
I don't blame anyone for wanting to collect accounts receivable in advance whenever possible. I once worked for a business owner who actually felt that the only legitimate place for any money in "sight" was in his pocket, without regard to vendors to whom he owed money, employees who needed to be accurately paid, etc. And in the case you cite, to make the advance payment non-refundable is unconscionable. Had I been in the position of your friend, I think I would have gotten an appropriate amount of my money back. Actually, no. I wouldn't have made the deal on those terms.
On the other hand, as my father used to say when he heard a similar story, "Well, there's one born every minute.". Your friend, who paid the money with no assurance that a service would be provided in return, must also hold a large position in Florida swamp land. In short, when people try to get shifty, we have a certain responsibility to prevent it. And these people are by no means limited to the GMHL.

With respect to my comments about the Deseronto organization, they are not intended to reflect on their fans or most of their players. However, I don't retract anything I said earlier. There is no irregularity that could be alleged about the management of that team over the last several years that I would doubt, regardless of the sleaziness of the action alleged. And I just chose my words very carefully in order to make my position absolutely clear. I can give examples.

Now that I understand your point in re OHL scouts, I agree with you completely. Develop a marketing program for your players based (A) on their desires and (B) their realistic future prospects and sell them on that process. It is real, it is credible, and it is an easy sale to a kid and his parents.

I agreed with you earlier on the "fluffing it up" issue. I wouldn't think that you disagree with what I said. If a player who played in the GMHL for a season or a significant part of one goes on to "greater things" in his later career, I think that the League can include that player in a list of ahumni. I do not think that a banner headline is appropriate in such a case, unless the player is quoted as saying, "My experience in the GMHL was the most important factor in my getting to where I am now." On the other hand, when a player dedicated 2, 3, 4 seasons to the League and then moves on to a higher level, I think the League has every reason to announce that in a way as to take some credit for the young gent's success.

Unhappily, on the last issue you raise, we may have to agree to disagree, if possible. There are very talented kids, not only in Canada, but also in the States and, yes, from overseas, who play their youth hockey under the radar, for one reason or another. A league such as the GMHL, provided it can promote the successful players it attracts, gives these players an opportunity they have a hard time getting elsewhere. Kids from the States or from overseas can't play Midget in Canada, as they are not residents and they are severely restricted by Hockey Canada in playing in other Canadian Junior A leagues. My views on Hockery Canada have been clearly stated in earlier e-mails...interestingly, with no serious attempts by anyone to refute them.
And, I continue to maintain that the player who comes to the GMHL with enough raw talent, prior training, determination, discipline, a very strong work ethic, and a personal commitment to move to the next level can use the GMHL as a vehicle to do that.

Hockeypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 11:47 PM
  #64
SPORTSMANIAC
Registered User
 
SPORTSMANIAC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Lewiston, Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 2,594
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SPORTSMANIAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPORTSMANIAC View Post
I have heard of a kid who was going to play in this league but at the last minute he needed to pony up more cash for education I believe and he didnt end up going.
This is the kid I was talking about as he and his high school teammate will be joining Lefroy this season. Here's the story I did tonight

Two of EL's finest to play junior hockey
Nathan Fournier, Staff Writer

Quote:
Two Edward Little boys' hockey team standouts are heading to Ontario to further their hockey career.

Drew Lupardo will forego his senior year and 2012 graduate Jared Pelletier have signed to play for the Lefroy Wave of the Greater Metro Junior Hockey League (GMHL).

The Wave's USA scout David Daniello, who is a coach for the Maine Sternmen program in Rockport, recruited both to Lefroy.

Link>>>

SPORTSMANIAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 11:54 AM
  #65
walker33
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 310
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPORTSMANIAC View Post
This is the kid I was talking about as he and his high school teammate will be joining Lefroy this season. Here's the story I did tonight

Two of EL's finest to play junior hockey
Nathan Fournier, Staff Writer



Link>>>
probably not the best move

walker33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 05:29 PM
  #66
Puckclektr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: GTA
Posts: 2,844
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPORTSMANIAC View Post
This is the kid I was talking about as he and his high school teammate will be joining Lefroy this season. Here's the story I did tonight

Two of EL's finest to play junior hockey
Nathan Fournier, Staff Writer



Link>>>
Hockey aside. Does this kid realize he will be living in Lefroy?

Puckclektr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 09:58 AM
  #67
Hockeypop
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 9
vCash: 500
Good story. I believe that Lefroy was a new franchise either last season or the season prior to that. Either way, they improved as last season progressed and ended up giving Bradford everything they could handle before losing to them in the playoffs.
If these two shooters can play both ends of the ice, or learn to, and if they work on their physical conditioning with determination, there's no reason for this decision to turn out badly for them. This is consistent with what I've said before. It is up to the players in the League to do what is necessary in order to stand out. For those that do, the GMHL can be a place to move on from.

Hockeypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 02:10 PM
  #68
walker33
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 310
vCash: 500
Huge signings out of this league medelsohn and leclair both sign in alabama of the spjhl thought this was an education driven league? funny how these guys never did post secondary schooling...just saying, inforce some rules, conduct and procedures and stop being such a farce to these kids.

walker33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 08:35 AM
  #69
Cornuts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 10
vCash: 500
My understanding is that he is meeting with good success, that there is significant enthusiasm in both the professional and the collegiate hockey ranks for a number of GMHL players, and that some very impressive signings will be announced shortly.


Still waiting

Cornuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 03:16 PM
  #70
Johnny Lesser
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6
vCash: 500
Nothing has changed with this league, terrible hockey terrible players por attitudes.

Johnny Lesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 11:35 AM
  #71
walker33
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 310
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Lesser View Post
Nothing has changed with this league, terrible hockey terrible players por attitudes.
new story lines,

fight between 2 players on one teama nd another on the other and a parent lol, and this was in the hallway. nothing like some european scraps!

walker33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 02:23 PM
  #72
Sharbotcreek
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1
vCash: 500
My son played the first half of this season on a GMHL team, here's my perspective for you all considering this league. Yes they have lots of ice time and practices, but this league is not for Canadian kids. Everything they do is geared towards Europeans and money. My son was going to school and was told he should skip classes in order to go to practice, and since he said no to this he was benched for missing the practice.

Speaking of practices there was often 25 skaters and 4-6 goalies per one hour practice. Players from other teams were invited to his practices if they paid extra for ice time. It was a joke. Coaches are under qualified to coach peewee let alone "A".

This is not a Jr A league by any standards. The best teams would be comparable to Jr C or B in Ontario, the worst would have a hard time playing against a decent midget team. For this reason no one is scouted at these games. Their "showcase" was a joke with fights in the hallways with coaches and parents involved. Euros are able to pass this experience off as playing JrA in Canada, which may well be above the level there, but this is not top tier hockey.

For anyone considering this league, there is good arguments as to why to play there, however DO NOT pay the entire fee upfront, negotiate a payment plan, this will enable you to get out without too huge a loss, if the team is unwilling to do this then run, don't walk away since you will know for sure its all about the money.

Oh and one more thing for Canadians to consider is since this is an outlaw league if you play here you will be sanctioned by hockey Canada, since my son quit his team he is unable to play for any HC team until next season. So essentially he misses a season because of a poor decision to play in this outlaw league, pretty harsh for a 17 year old kid trying to live his dream.

Just my $0.02 worth

Sharbotcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 10:04 PM
  #73
HawksFanForever
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 227
vCash: 500
JR B Hockey

The Winchester JR B Hawks now have 2 players that played a year for us that are not playing Major Junior and we have another one this year that will play in the Major Junior league also.It is not always about JR A as we have had scouts coming to the Winchester Arena now for 3 seasons.

HawksFanForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 10:06 PM
  #74
burtA
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 9
vCash: 500
This site has some pretty solid info and a video about the GMHL league. (Lots of leagues on there actually!)

burtA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 02:31 AM
  #75
alko
Registered User
 
alko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Slovakia
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 1,768
vCash: 500
It is still amazing, how many EU players want to play in this league. And pay big bucks for it. I heard it is about 4000 - 5000 per season...

alko is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:59 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.