HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBA Negotiations

Closed Thread

Old
08-14-2012, 06:49 PM
Krishna

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILOUDELPHIA View Post
the owners 1st proposal was at 47 right so it seems they are now 5.5 in difference with todays.

so now bottom line, is how much will each side sacrifice to make a deal
Owners proposed 47% and the players responded with a locked rate..

Old
08-14-2012, 06:52 PM
PHILOUDELPHIA

vCash: 500
so is that good or bad.

Old
08-14-2012, 06:53 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

And remember how everyone was all doom and gloom when Donald Fehr became the head of the NHLPA? Where are all those people now? Nowhere to be found. Donald Fehr has come across as nothing but articulate and has been nothing but cordial and willing to strike a deal. Loving the job Donald Fehr has done so far......

Old
08-14-2012, 06:58 PM
Krishna

Quote:
so is that good or bad.
Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
And remember how everyone was all doom and gloom when Donald Fehr became the head of the NHLPA? Where are all those people now? Nowhere to be found. Donald Fehr has come across as nothing but articulate and has been nothing but cordial and willing to strike a deal. Loving the job Donald Fehr has done so far......
They were expecting him to fight the way he did with the MLBPA.. But the MLBPA is stronger than the NHLPA

Old
08-14-2012, 07:12 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Sounds promising. Hopefully Uncle Gary doesn't screw it up.

08-14-2012, 08:13 PM
The Flin Flon Bomber

Quote:
I might have been one of those people, but its not because I thought he was stupid or arrogant. Guy has been, along with Marvin Miller, the most influential figure in sports and union representation, in the last 50 years. Guy basically established free agency as a concept in 1977.

He's also an attorney/counselor representing his clients. His client doesn't want to play hardball (wisely) and he doing what he can to get the best deal possible for his clients within the negotiation limitations set by the client. Thats how a true professional does it. He also realizes he doesn't necessarily have the same negotiating position he did with the MLBPA.

Old
08-15-2012, 12:28 AM
35NW8ING
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flin Flon Bomber View Post
I might have been one of those people, but its not because I thought he was stupid or arrogant. Guy has been, along with Marvin Miller, the most influential figure in sports and union representation, in the last 50 years. Guy basically established free agency as a concept in 1977.

He's also an attorney/counselor representing his clients. His client doesn't want to play hardball (wisely) and he doing what he can to get the best deal possible for his clients within the negotiation limitations set by the client. Thats how a true professional does it. He also realizes he doesn't necessarily have the same negotiating position he did with the MLBPA.
He has much more leverage with the NHLPA than with any other professional sports union.

Old
08-15-2012, 01:00 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Compared to some other leagues, it seems NHL players have it pretty good overall. That likely helps.

08-15-2012, 12:47 PM
The Flin Flon Bomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35NW8ING View Post
He has much more leverage with the NHLPA than with any other professional sports union.
He has more leverage personally with the union. The union, itself, doesn't have the same leverage in a negotiation compared to the MLB in 1994 for a variety of factors. So there's a limit to how much hardball he can play on behalf of the union in any dealings with the league and hope to be successful. And I think success for the players is defined as "Get us the best deal possible, but try not to make us miss any games"

Old
08-15-2012, 03:55 PM
PHILOUDELPHIA

well gary and the owners said NO. they resume next wednesday, so will see.

Old
08-15-2012, 04:45 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
I was surprised at how he came off. I expected him to be hard nosed and bombastic, but the guy really represented his position well. I am completely on the side of the players in this battle. I think the owners need to fight it out amongst themselves.

Old
08-15-2012, 06:14 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Quote:
well gary and the owners said NO. they resume next wednesday, so will see.

Seriously, just 1 question for Fehr and Bettman, What in the world do you have to do that is MORE important than this!?!?! Next Week?? Isn't figuring this out the main reason why you both exist in your positions??

Old
08-15-2012, 06:16 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange View Post
Seriously, just 1 question for Fehr and Bettman, What in the world do you have to do that is MORE important than this!?!?! Next Week?? Isn't figuring this out the main reason why you both exist in your positions??
These are massive proposals being put together. Doesnt exactly take one day to run through everything and make all your changes. It takes at least a few days to go through the entire document and understand everything.

Old
08-15-2012, 06:20 PM
Krishna

Plus they have to bring it to a vote in the NHLPA

Old
08-15-2012, 06:39 PM
BernieParent

Fehr certainly surprised me at his conciliatory way of speaking. However, Bettman's facial expression at responding to the NHLPA's position was as though he had a dirty diaper in his chest pocket. The owners look like they are ready for a game of chicken.

Old
08-15-2012, 06:47 PM
PHILOUDELPHIA

bottom line its all about money, the owners are at this number, the players are at a different number, how wide is the gap and how close can they shave them off to agree.

i agree all of them should be meeint everyday and night if need be. 12 hr days, heck countless days you saw NFL and NBA work into the late and early hours.

Old
08-15-2012, 07:05 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Honestly, I after today it feels like the tide has turned into a lockout season.

Old
08-15-2012, 07:53 PM
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJim View Post
Since he's been in charge, the NHL is about to have it's third lock-out. Am I wrong about this? I think the NHLPA and owners should vote him out asap.
Give him back to the NBA, then maybe they'll go through another lock-out.
I don't know about everyone else here, but I can't go with another delayed season.
Bettman works for the owners, and they got everything they wanted in the last negotiation.

Old
08-15-2012, 10:05 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Honestly, I after today it feels like the tide has turned into a lockout season.
Sadly I think your right

Old
08-16-2012, 12:21 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Fehr certainly surprised me at his conciliatory way of speaking. However, Bettman's facial expression at responding to the NHLPA's position was as though he had a dirty diaper in his chest pocket. The owners look like they are ready for a game of chicken.
Fehr represented the MLB players union for over 20 years. I dont think hes going to be intimidated or shocked by anything the owners do. He had to deal with more powerfull owners in MLB talks when they were nearing a lockout/strike in MLB.
I am always hopefull we will not have to go thru a season killing lockout again.
I think I would agree that Bettman and the owners are going to test the NHL players union. If a lockout is averted I would not be shocked if it goes down to the last minute.

Old
08-16-2012, 02:11 AM
StandingCow

I don't think we are gonna lose the season, but I do think there will be a delay... which sucks.

Old
08-17-2012, 08:54 AM
teegale
Hartnell Down!

I just don't understand how you let this happen when the sport has reached it's peak in popularity.

Old
08-17-2012, 01:06 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
My prediction is that they renew the current CBA on a one year deal in the 11th hour and negotiate throughout the season to get a future CBA done. They absolutely CANNOT allow the season to be cancelled again. (This prediction comes from something I read during the season saying that this was the plan from the get-go...I'll try to find the article I am talking about).

Old
08-17-2012, 01:16 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
My prediction is that they renew the current CBA on a one year deal in the 11th hour and negotiate throughout the season to get a future CBA done. They absolutely CANNOT allow the season to be cancelled again. (This prediction comes from something I read during the season saying that this was the plan from the get-go...I'll try to find the article I am talking about).
They can't do that.

Since the NHL decided to end it, they could play the season under the old cba, but the NHLPA could strike at any time.. NHL doesn't want that. Hence lockout

Old
08-17-2012, 01:53 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
They can't do that.

Since the NHL decided to end it, they could play the season under the old cba, but the NHLPA could strike at any time.. NHL doesn't want that. Hence lockout
They can renew the current CBA for a year if they want to. What would be stopping them?

Closed Thread