HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBA Negotiations

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-14-2012, 06:49 PM
  #76
Krishna
Registered User
 
Krishna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Canada
Posts: 82,048
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILOUDELPHIA View Post
the owners 1st proposal was at 47 right so it seems they are now 5.5 in difference with todays.

so now bottom line, is how much will each side sacrifice to make a deal
Owners proposed 47% and the players responded with a locked rate..

Krishna is offline  
Old
08-14-2012, 06:52 PM
  #77
PHILOUDELPHIA
Registered User
 
PHILOUDELPHIA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: PHILADELPHIA
Posts: 600
vCash: 500
so is that good or bad.

PHILOUDELPHIA is offline  
Old
08-14-2012, 06:53 PM
  #78
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,895
vCash: 500
And remember how everyone was all doom and gloom when Donald Fehr became the head of the NHLPA? Where are all those people now? Nowhere to be found. Donald Fehr has come across as nothing but articulate and has been nothing but cordial and willing to strike a deal. Loving the job Donald Fehr has done so far......

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline  
Old
08-14-2012, 06:58 PM
  #79
Krishna
Registered User
 
Krishna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Canada
Posts: 82,048
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILOUDELPHIA View Post
so is that good or bad.
Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
And remember how everyone was all doom and gloom when Donald Fehr became the head of the NHLPA? Where are all those people now? Nowhere to be found. Donald Fehr has come across as nothing but articulate and has been nothing but cordial and willing to strike a deal. Loving the job Donald Fehr has done so far......
They were expecting him to fight the way he did with the MLBPA.. But the MLBPA is stronger than the NHLPA

Krishna is offline  
Old
08-14-2012, 07:12 PM
  #80
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve
 
Homeland Security's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NY/FL
Country: United States
Posts: 14,382
vCash: 500


Sounds promising. Hopefully Uncle Gary doesn't screw it up.

__________________
Homeland Security is offline  
Old
08-14-2012, 08:13 PM
  #81
The Flin Flon Bomber
Registered User
 
The Flin Flon Bomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
And remember how everyone was all doom and gloom when Donald Fehr became the head of the NHLPA? Where are all those people now? Nowhere to be found. Donald Fehr has come across as nothing but articulate and has been nothing but cordial and willing to strike a deal. Loving the job Donald Fehr has done so far......
I might have been one of those people, but its not because I thought he was stupid or arrogant. Guy has been, along with Marvin Miller, the most influential figure in sports and union representation, in the last 50 years. Guy basically established free agency as a concept in 1977.

He's also an attorney/counselor representing his clients. His client doesn't want to play hardball (wisely) and he doing what he can to get the best deal possible for his clients within the negotiation limitations set by the client. Thats how a true professional does it. He also realizes he doesn't necessarily have the same negotiating position he did with the MLBPA.

The Flin Flon Bomber is offline  
Old
08-15-2012, 12:28 AM
  #82
35NW8ING
#LaviPondHockeyFail
 
35NW8ING's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flin Flon Bomber View Post
I might have been one of those people, but its not because I thought he was stupid or arrogant. Guy has been, along with Marvin Miller, the most influential figure in sports and union representation, in the last 50 years. Guy basically established free agency as a concept in 1977.

He's also an attorney/counselor representing his clients. His client doesn't want to play hardball (wisely) and he doing what he can to get the best deal possible for his clients within the negotiation limitations set by the client. Thats how a true professional does it. He also realizes he doesn't necessarily have the same negotiating position he did with the MLBPA.
He has much more leverage with the NHLPA than with any other professional sports union.

35NW8ING is offline  
Old
08-15-2012, 01:00 AM
  #83
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 37,496
vCash: 156
Compared to some other leagues, it seems NHL players have it pretty good overall. That likely helps.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
08-15-2012, 12:47 PM
  #84
The Flin Flon Bomber
Registered User
 
The Flin Flon Bomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35NW8ING View Post
He has much more leverage with the NHLPA than with any other professional sports union.
He has more leverage personally with the union. The union, itself, doesn't have the same leverage in a negotiation compared to the MLB in 1994 for a variety of factors. So there's a limit to how much hardball he can play on behalf of the union in any dealings with the league and hope to be successful. And I think success for the players is defined as "Get us the best deal possible, but try not to make us miss any games"

The Flin Flon Bomber is offline  
Old
08-15-2012, 03:55 PM
  #85
PHILOUDELPHIA
Registered User
 
PHILOUDELPHIA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: PHILADELPHIA
Posts: 600
vCash: 500
well gary and the owners said NO. they resume next wednesday, so will see.

PHILOUDELPHIA is offline  
Old
08-15-2012, 04:45 PM
  #86
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?
 
Pantokrator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Semmes, Alabama
Country: Guatemala
Posts: 4,319
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
And remember how everyone was all doom and gloom when Donald Fehr became the head of the NHLPA? Where are all those people now? Nowhere to be found. Donald Fehr has come across as nothing but articulate and has been nothing but cordial and willing to strike a deal. Loving the job Donald Fehr has done so far......
I was surprised at how he came off. I expected him to be hard nosed and bombastic, but the guy really represented his position well. I am completely on the side of the players in this battle. I think the owners need to fight it out amongst themselves.

Pantokrator is offline  
Old
08-15-2012, 06:14 PM
  #87
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft
 
BleedOrange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Oshawa Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILOUDELPHIA View Post
well gary and the owners said NO. they resume next wednesday, so will see.

Seriously, just 1 question for Fehr and Bettman, What in the world do you have to do that is MORE important than this!?!?! Next Week?? Isn't figuring this out the main reason why you both exist in your positions??

BleedOrange is offline  
Old
08-15-2012, 06:16 PM
  #88
hockeyfreak7
Registered User
 
hockeyfreak7's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Charlottesville
Posts: 8,191
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange View Post
Seriously, just 1 question for Fehr and Bettman, What in the world do you have to do that is MORE important than this!?!?! Next Week?? Isn't figuring this out the main reason why you both exist in your positions??
These are massive proposals being put together. Doesnt exactly take one day to run through everything and make all your changes. It takes at least a few days to go through the entire document and understand everything.

hockeyfreak7 is offline  
Old
08-15-2012, 06:20 PM
  #89
Krishna
Registered User
 
Krishna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Canada
Posts: 82,048
vCash: 50
Plus they have to bring it to a vote in the NHLPA

Krishna is offline  
Old
08-15-2012, 06:39 PM
  #90
BernieParent
Registered User
 
BernieParent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,079
vCash: 500
Fehr certainly surprised me at his conciliatory way of speaking. However, Bettman's facial expression at responding to the NHLPA's position was as though he had a dirty diaper in his chest pocket. The owners look like they are ready for a game of chicken.

BernieParent is offline  
Old
08-15-2012, 06:47 PM
  #91
PHILOUDELPHIA
Registered User
 
PHILOUDELPHIA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: PHILADELPHIA
Posts: 600
vCash: 500
bottom line its all about money, the owners are at this number, the players are at a different number, how wide is the gap and how close can they shave them off to agree.

i agree all of them should be meeint everyday and night if need be. 12 hr days, heck countless days you saw NFL and NBA work into the late and early hours.

PHILOUDELPHIA is offline  
Old
08-15-2012, 07:05 PM
  #92
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,372
vCash: 500
Honestly, I after today it feels like the tide has turned into a lockout season.

sa cyred is offline  
Old
08-15-2012, 07:53 PM
  #93
McNasty
Registered User
 
McNasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Rutgers
Country: United States
Posts: 5,625
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJim View Post
Since he's been in charge, the NHL is about to have it's third lock-out. Am I wrong about this? I think the NHLPA and owners should vote him out asap.
Give him back to the NBA, then maybe they'll go through another lock-out.
I don't know about everyone else here, but I can't go with another delayed season.
Bettman works for the owners, and they got everything they wanted in the last negotiation.

McNasty is offline  
Old
08-15-2012, 10:05 PM
  #94
FlyersFan61290
Registered User
 
FlyersFan61290's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 8,473
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Honestly, I after today it feels like the tide has turned into a lockout season.
Sadly I think your right

FlyersFan61290 is offline  
Old
08-16-2012, 12:21 AM
  #95
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 31,017
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Fehr certainly surprised me at his conciliatory way of speaking. However, Bettman's facial expression at responding to the NHLPA's position was as though he had a dirty diaper in his chest pocket. The owners look like they are ready for a game of chicken.
Fehr represented the MLB players union for over 20 years. I dont think hes going to be intimidated or shocked by anything the owners do. He had to deal with more powerfull owners in MLB talks when they were nearing a lockout/strike in MLB.
I am always hopefull we will not have to go thru a season killing lockout again.
I think I would agree that Bettman and the owners are going to test the NHL players union. If a lockout is averted I would not be shocked if it goes down to the last minute.

GoneFullHextall is offline  
Old
08-16-2012, 02:11 AM
  #96
StandingCow
Registered User
 
StandingCow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 3,537
vCash: 50
I don't think we are gonna lose the season, but I do think there will be a delay... which sucks.

StandingCow is offline  
Old
08-17-2012, 08:54 AM
  #97
teegale
Hartnell Down!
 
teegale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 898
vCash: 500
I just don't understand how you let this happen when the sport has reached it's peak in popularity.

teegale is offline  
Old
08-17-2012, 01:06 PM
  #98
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,406
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
My prediction is that they renew the current CBA on a one year deal in the 11th hour and negotiate throughout the season to get a future CBA done. They absolutely CANNOT allow the season to be cancelled again. (This prediction comes from something I read during the season saying that this was the plan from the get-go...I'll try to find the article I am talking about).

DrinkFightFlyers is offline  
Old
08-17-2012, 01:16 PM
  #99
Krishna
Registered User
 
Krishna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Canada
Posts: 82,048
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
My prediction is that they renew the current CBA on a one year deal in the 11th hour and negotiate throughout the season to get a future CBA done. They absolutely CANNOT allow the season to be cancelled again. (This prediction comes from something I read during the season saying that this was the plan from the get-go...I'll try to find the article I am talking about).
They can't do that.

Since the NHL decided to end it, they could play the season under the old cba, but the NHLPA could strike at any time.. NHL doesn't want that. Hence lockout

Krishna is offline  
Old
08-17-2012, 01:53 PM
  #100
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,406
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
They can't do that.

Since the NHL decided to end it, they could play the season under the old cba, but the NHLPA could strike at any time.. NHL doesn't want that. Hence lockout
They can renew the current CBA for a year if they want to. What would be stopping them?

DrinkFightFlyers is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:46 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.