HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Video Games III

Closed Thread

Old
08-17-2012, 12:53 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Jeff Schultz is one point lower than Carlson and Alzner...
And the same as Brian Campbell.

Old
08-17-2012, 01:19 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
Backstrom is 8 points lower then Ovechkin, even though he's just as good?...I understand not giving Holtby a high rating because he's still unproven, but a 73? He went toe-to-toe with Thomas and Lundqvist in the playoffs.

EA fails every year with ratings.
I hear they're both rated the same in the undisclosed but important "meatball eating category"....

Let's face reality, their rankings suck and Superstars will always get the nod over non-superstar players....

Old
08-17-2012, 01:21 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Which doesn't explain Neuvirth being 8 points better than Holtby.

Edit: the sucking part does.

Old
08-17-2012, 01:34 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Which doesn't explain Neuvirth being 8 points better than Holtby.

Edit: the sucking part does.
Seems apparent to me, a part time player who has yet to prove himself over a full season or more is getting ranked lower (usually)....

Old
08-17-2012, 01:58 PM
Carlzner

Those are pretty brutal. With no Forsberg and Kuz, I don't think I'll get this installment.

Especially since i mainly play GM Mode.

Old
08-17-2012, 02:07 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

If you play GM mode, just create them. Going in with stock stats is a fool's errand to begin with for stuff like that (especially for undrafted prospects... makes some future drafts look really weird).

I'll be curious to see how the new skating engine etc. "feels." Demo comes out soon IINM.

Old
08-17-2012, 02:24 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Seems apparent to me, a part time player who has yet to prove himself over a full season or more is getting ranked lower (usually)....
You mean like Mark Olver, who got an 83 and is apparently the Avs' fourth best player?

The ratings appear to be pretty random. Kris Letang is rated two points higher than the reigning Norris winner. Jeff Schultz = Brian Campbell. Too bad it's such a pain to get external rosters on Xbox.

Old
08-17-2012, 02:26 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

The fatal flaw in that line of thinking is that overall ratings mean bupkis. They can be skewed tremendously by relatively unimportant categories (like "poise") so don't end up meaning much wrt how you can compare players.

Which makes them all but useless, but there you go.

Old
08-17-2012, 02:37 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
You mean like Mark Olver, who got an 83 and is apparently the Avs' fourth best player?

The ratings appear to be pretty random. Kris Letang is rated two points higher than the reigning Norris winner. Jeff Schultz = Brian Campbell. Too bad it's such a pain to get external rosters on Xbox.
I'm sure you can always find exceptions if you dig deep enough....

Sad that when scrutinized it shows how bad EA who makes their living at these game, doesn't do better.

Old
08-17-2012, 03:13 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

I wonder if Schultz can still hit like a freight train.

Old
08-18-2012, 12:52 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
And Laich is one point lower than Backstrom.

No surprise. Their ratings for non-star players are always light years off
Might as well be retired Poti is a friggin' 79...

Old
08-20-2012, 10:20 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
I wonder if Schultz can still hit like a freight train.
Freight train, CHOO-WOO!!!

Northbound on a southbound freeway, look out!

Old
08-22-2012, 12:40 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

The 1.04 patch for Diablo 3 was a god send. While it doesn't solve a lot of the problems (only getting rid of the RMAH would really put a dent in most of them), it makes the game much more fun and creates an end-game that will be challenging to get to.

Old
08-23-2012, 12:40 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

unless you're into mindless kiting and clicking....

Death to D3......

Old
08-23-2012, 01:18 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
unless you're into mindless kiting and clicking....

Death to D3......
I take it you haven't played after the new patch then?

The skill buffs have made it possible to actually play the game, rather than endlessly kite.

I quit for a good 2 months, after continuously dying trying to farm act 1 inferno. After the patch, I was able to farm the halls of agony and the Butcher, only dying if I came across an elite pack with a killer combo of mods. I was also able to get through act 2, and at least survive some on act 3 (though that's where I hit the wall).

Old
08-23-2012, 01:32 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

I just heard about the 1.04 release and am looking forward to playing it tonight when I get home. Maybe I'll have a viable char now

I could farm act 1 before the release so maybe now I can do more.

Old
08-23-2012, 02:13 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

No, haven't played in a few months. On my 3rd play through, "wtf am I wasting my limited entertainment time on the same material over and over?" hit me square in the face. Haven't touched it since.

I'll wait to read some reviews after people have had a chance to try it out for a bit before I bother to even load the game again, if ever.

I guess for some players there's some satisfaction in doing it over and over again on subsequently harder levels. It's just not for me. Too much other new stuff to be playing instead of repeating content, grinding for better gear, to what end? What's next, implementation of rep grinds? No thanks.

Old
08-23-2012, 02:33 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Wolski is our 2nd best winger on the team?

Yea, if EA sports is any indication, we arent looking too good.

Old
08-24-2012, 08:10 AM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Freight train, CHOO-WOO!!!

Northbound on a southbound freeway, look out!
Woah, flashback to NHL 98 (I think).

Old
08-24-2012, 10:26 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
No, haven't played in a few months. On my 3rd play through, "wtf am I wasting my limited entertainment time on the same material over and over?" hit me square in the face. Haven't touched it since.

I'll wait to read some reviews after people have had a chance to try it out for a bit before I bother to even load the game again, if ever.

I guess for some players there's some satisfaction in doing it over and over again on subsequently harder levels. It's just not for me. Too much other new stuff to be playing instead of repeating content, grinding for better gear, to what end? What's next, implementation of rep grinds? No thanks.
I'm pretty bummed that it's not moddable - that was one of my favorite things about D2. It was neat to have different enemies/quests/items/skills even if it was more or less the same game.

Old
08-27-2012, 03:58 PM
Cush
-inator

XCOM gameplay: http://www.twitch.tv/2k/b/330155062

was played on a PC using a 360 controller, they'll be demoing the Mouse & Keyboard interface at PAX this weekend. Think I'll be turning off the 'action cam', seems like it will get old pretty fast

Old
09-04-2012, 11:28 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Does anyone here play the Total War games?

http://www.totalwar.com/en_us/rome2

Click on the little arrow to bring up the video.

I haven't played the last two games much at all, so maybe I've missed something, but seriously what the **** is that? I know the game is probably early in development, so there's not much gameplay to show, but that's pretty worrisome either way. Maybe mods won't even be able to salvage this one.

Old
09-04-2012, 11:29 PM
Carlzner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
Does anyone here play the Total War games?

http://www.totalwar.com/en_us/rome2

Click on the little arrow to bring up the video.

I haven't played the last two games much at all, so maybe I've missed something, but seriously what the **** is that? I know the game is probably early in development, so there's not much gameplay to show, but that's pretty worrisome either way. Maybe mods won't even be able to salvage this one.
I have the first one, play it once and awhile and it's good fun... I am still waiting for Empire to come out for mac... last winter they said it was coming out Spring 2012... well it's fall 2012 and the website is still a relatively blank page with only the word "preorder" on it.

Edit: As for Rome 2... what's wrong with it? It's just a cinematic trailer.

Old
09-05-2012, 12:07 AM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

It looks like a trailer for a Lifetime mini-series. I don't understand what it has to do with the game. Its focus is completely opposed to that of the Total War games, in my opinion. I guess it bothers me because I'm afraid this game will show even less concern about historicity and realism than the first Rome game did, which is truly saying something. The trailer indicates a focus on dramatic garbage rather than, you know, total war.

Hopefully that's not really true though. In any case, hopefully the game is extremely moddable. I'm not sure how the last two games were in that regard, but the first Rome and second Medieval (same engine) seemed decently restrictive. People still made some great mods though (EB, Stainless Steel). I wish someone would just give Creative Assembly's funding to the EB team to make RTW2.

Old
09-05-2012, 09:41 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
It looks like a trailer for a Lifetime mini-series. I don't understand what it has to do with the game. Its focus is completely opposed to that of the Total War games, in my opinion. I guess it bothers me because I'm afraid this game will show even less concern about historicity and realism than the first Rome game did, which is truly saying something. The trailer indicates a focus on dramatic garbage rather than, you know, total war.

Hopefully that's not really true though. In any case, hopefully the game is extremely moddable. I'm not sure how the last two games were in that regard, but the first Rome and second Medieval (same engine) seemed decently restrictive. People still made some great mods though (EB, Stainless Steel). I wish someone would just give Creative Assembly's funding to the EB team to make RTW2.
It shows nothing to do with the actual game play itself so I don't quite understand your outrage.

Maybe you will be able to use political power plays to have your rivals thrown in jail? That is completely realistic. Maybe you can assassinate or have killed your political or military rivals? Again completely realistic and part of previous games. I didn't see anything in that trailer that wasn't at least somewhat historically accurate.

Closed Thread