HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Stop signs are for quitters: the Moises Sierra story

Closed Thread

Old
08-17-2012, 03:09 PM
Frankie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quik View Post
Yeah, a bunch of guys in the MLB are probably considered soft, but to call Bautista out on it? He relies on his wrists to pretty much contribute anything to this line-up, have you ever tried to throw, hit or even play hockey with an injured wrist? Chances are you'd be pretty useless. Also, baseball players play pretty much everyday, so while yeah they seem soft, playing full out everyday can take its toll...
soft as butter. bautista was supposed to be out 2 weeks, but its now been over a month. no desire to get back in the line-up.

its just baseball's culture. any slight discomfort whatsoever, you sit down. and you sit for a long time.

good lord, when a guy gets hurt, the manager runs out onto the field to check on him immediately. how weird is that? i've literally seen farrell run out there and hold a guy's hand, asking him if he's ok. the culture is pathetic.

Old
08-17-2012, 03:18 PM
Everlong
JoeyBats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
soft as butter. bautista was supposed to be out 2 weeks, but its now been over a month. no desire to get back in the line-up.

its just baseball's culture. any slight discomfort whatsoever, you sit down. and you sit for a long time.

good lord, when a guy gets hurt, the manager runs out onto the field to check on him immediately. how weird is that? i've literally seen farrell run out there and hold a guy's hand, asking him if he's ok. the culture is pathetic.
You're only looking at one side of the coin. If there were playing a rec league game, yea they would probably keep playing. These guys are not only human beings, they're also multi-million dollar investments. Investments that need to be watched over carefully to help extend their careers as long as possible.

Old
08-17-2012, 03:19 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Marisnick looks like he is starting to turn it around. Last 10 games he is hitting .293/.341/.756 and showing some wheels going 5 for 5 in steals.

Old
08-17-2012, 03:23 PM
Everlong
JoeyBats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
Marisnick looks like he is starting to turn it around. Last 10 games he is hitting .293/.341/.756 and showing some wheels going 5 for 5 in steals.
That's awesome. Was getting worried for a while there, but was giving him the benefit of the doubt ofcourse since he hasn't been up very long.

Old
08-17-2012, 03:33 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

someone make a new blue jays discussion thread. this is over the max.

08-17-2012, 03:46 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Ill start one but I need you to sticky it.

Old
08-17-2012, 04:44 PM
Suntouchable13

Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime8 View Post
Sorry to move on from this love fest guys, but I'm just wondering on what free agent arms AA will pursue this offseason.

Could Shaun Marcum be a guy that gets brought back?

There's a pretty good list of #2 starters and beyond (obviously wouldn't let a #1 walk).

- Joe Saunders - pitch over 200 innings
- Edwin Jackson - doubtful because of $, but perfect to fit in age group
- Dan Haren - to me the perfect pick-up. solid veteran that could be had if the Angels pick up part of the club option.
- Joe Blanton - always been a fan of Blanton. think he would be a good #3 on this roster.
AA is gotta do something. The team's record has been getting worse and worse since he got here. I am sick of him trying to sell hope, time to deliver a winner!

Old
08-17-2012, 04:55 PM
Frankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
You're only looking at one side of the coin. If there were playing a rec league game, yea they would probably keep playing. These guys are not only human beings, they're also multi-million dollar investments. Investments that need to be watched over carefully to help extend their careers as long as possible.
that's the pathetic part. they're treated as if they're precious babies. these are men, or they're supposed to be.

they're more interested in being "careful to extend their career" than they are in getting back onto the field and helping their team win.

hockey players are also multi-million dollar investments, but i don't think we'll see randy carlyle jumping over the boards to run onto the ice and hold a guy's hand next time a leaf goes down on the ice.

in hockey, and other sports, you are expected to play through some discomfort and pain. and they all do. in baseball, nobody does that. any slight discomfort you're expected to sit down, and you're babied and coddled as if you're a delicate flower.

bautista should get out there and play. same with lawrie. tender rib cage....pathetic.

Old
08-17-2012, 05:09 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

DJ Davis has been promoted to Bluefield. .233/.339/.374/.713... walking at a good rate (9.5%) and showing some decent pop (.141 ISO -- 4 HR so far). He is showing more homerun power than I expected.

He is a raw guy so it's not surprising he struggles with contact. He is striking out at a 28.4% rate and that's something he will need to really work on.

Sean Nolin also promoted to AA and it's well deserved. He is having a great year in Dunedin and he is 22 years old so he is age appropriate, especially now for AA. 9.4 K/9, 2.2 BB/9, 0.7 HR/9 and 2.19 ERA in 86.1 IP. Recently came back from an injury too. Not a big upside guy but could be a bottom end starter. Helps he is a lefty too.

Dwight Smith Jr. was also promoted to Vancouver a while ago.

Old
08-17-2012, 05:11 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
DJ Davis has been promoted to Bluefield. .233/.339/.374/.713... walking at a good rate (9.5%) and showing some decent pop (.141 ISO -- 4 HR so far). He is showing more homerun power than I expected.

He is a raw guy so it's not surprising he struggles with contact. He is striking out at a 28.4% rate and that's something he will need to really work on.

Sean Nolin also promoted to AA and it's well deserved. He is having a great year in Dunedin and he is 22 years old so he is age appropriate, especially now for AA. 9.4 K/9, 2.2 BB/9, 0.7 HR/9 and 2.19 ERA in 86.1 IP. Recently came back from an injury too. Not a big upside guy but could be a bottom end starter. Helps he is a lefty too.
Great news, Nolin might sneak into the picture with a strong showing at AA next year.

Closed Thread