HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

What players should Detroit cut loose?

Old
08-17-2012, 01:57 PM
BinCookin

vCash: 500
What players should Detroit cut loose?

Are there any players that we should simply cut loose from the team?

Cory Emmerton?
Jan Mursak?
Others?

I only mention this as it seems time for Tatar, Nyquist and maybe we will never have room for them?

What do you think?

BinCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 02:29 PM
Crymson
Fire Holland

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinCookin View Post

Cory Emmerton?
Jan Mursak?
Others?

I only mention this as it seems time for Tatar, Nyquist and maybe we will never have room for them?

What do you think?
Abdelkader and Emmerton should go. Emmerton is useless in every sense of the word. I am almost certain that he will be waived. Abdelkader will likely be kept because we need a 4th line center.

The problems will begin when Eaves returns. He and Miller are very good depth players. Miller scored 14 goals last season, and Eaves is capable of adding 15 himself. A line of Eaves, Helm, and Miller is dangerous. Tatar, Nyquist, and Mursak all deserve a shot as well. The team will end up carrying 14 forwards, I'm sure. That leaves Emmerton as the odd man out.

I cannot stress enough how useless Emmerton is. It is beyond me how he thinks he'll remain in the NHL with his playstyle. He's a below-average scorer, he's below 50% in faceoffs, he doesn't hit, he's small, and he regularly blows coverage in the center of the defensive zone.

Crymson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 02:45 PM
InjuredChoker

I hope they give equal chance to everyone at training camp (assuming we see one) and then deal with situation as necessary, trade if possible, waive if nothing else. I would like to see what Mursak can do, righty, fast. That ankle ****ed him bad last season. Abdelkader is staying, I think. Probably Miller too, last year production was so good. They didn't sign Tootoo to be a healthy scratch either.

If Eaves is healthy, things get tricky.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 02:51 PM
solo16

vCash: 728
One of Bertuzzi, Cleary and Samuelson should not be on the team when Eaves is healthy.
Emmerton and Mursak should not be on the team.

Datsyuk Franzen Nyquist
Zetterberg Filppula Samuelson
Helm Cleary Eaves/Bertuzzi
Abdlekader Tooto Miller

(third spot on each line can be switched up or down the lines or subbed with an extra forward)

Tartar/Brunner/Sheahan as extra forwards. Tartar/Sheahan in the minors.

solo16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 03:02 PM
Harnessed in Slums

If the NHL has its way and the salary cap actually gets dropped back down to $50.8mm only three teams are currently beneath that ceiling. I realize the owners probably picked that number as a starting point and will negotiate their way up from there but if the cap ends up being anything close to that amount we're going to need to get rid of much more than spare parts like Emmerton, Mursak, Cleary, etc.

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 03:04 PM
Henkka

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricoh View Post
If the NHL has its way and the salary cap actually gets dropped back down to $50.8mm only three teams are currently beneath that ceiling.
It's not going to drop that low. If they get that 50/50 split the cap will be 61.6 million. That's something realistic.

Henkka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 03:16 PM
InjuredChoker

This gets extra tricky if someone like Tatar impresses along with Brunner and Nyquist. What they do then, send him to minors anyway?

Old
08-17-2012, 03:32 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
If the NHL has its way and the salary cap actually gets dropped back down to $50.8mm only three teams are currently beneath that ceiling. I realize the owners probably picked that number as a starting point and will negotiate their way up from there but if the cap ends up being anything close to that amount we're going to need to get rid of much more than spare parts like Emmerton, Mursak, Cleary, etc.
In that case, there would also be salary rollbacks.

Old
08-17-2012, 03:32 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Ummmm if i could pick anyone from the roster.

Bert, Cleary, Abedlkader, Emmerton, and Sammy.

WingedWheel1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 03:33 PM
Frk It
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
This gets extra tricky if someone like Tatar impresses along with Brunner and Nyquist. What they do then, send him to minors anyway?
They will do what they always do, send them yo the minors regardless of how they play in preseason/camp. (maybe not Brunner)

"Hes a real good player, looks like hes an NHL player," Babcock said. "Weve always kind of done things the same way, we send those kids to the minors and let them play a little bit and see what we got here (in Detroit), see how the year starts."

-Regarding nyquist after he had a great preseason last year

Frk It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 03:41 PM
FabricDetails

I wonder if Mursak is doing any summer training/workouts. I hope he is. He'll have to really impress to win a job.

FabricDetails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 03:43 PM
joe89

I think the camp will handle that. Barring trades.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 04:01 PM
StringerBell

Anyone care to give me a quick scouting report on Miller and Abdelkader? Thanks.

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 04:07 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLager View Post
Anyone care to give me a quick scouting report on Miller and Abdelkader? Thanks.
Abdelkader: Not very good as a center. He is a decent winger who is good at playing a forechecking role. Takes some dumb penalties. Fights a bit but isn't a particularly good fighter. Has solid if unspectacular defensive capabilities.

Miller: For as dumb as Abdelkader can be, Miller is a pretty heady player. He has good size, skating and decent physicality. Has a small amount of offensive skill. Solid defensive game. Good team player.

If I had to choose one over the other I would take Miller without hesitation. With Miller what you see is what you get. With Abdelkader there may still be some untapped potential but I don't think we'll see much more than what we've already seen.

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 04:27 PM
BinCookin

How about Joakim Andersson?

Old
08-17-2012, 04:35 PM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

Quote:
How about Joakim Andersson?
Why cut a guy who's not even on the team and is slated to be the #1 center in GR?

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 04:36 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Abdelkader: Not very good as a center. He is a decent winger who is good at playing a forechecking role. Takes some dumb penalties. Fights a bit but isn't a particularly good fighter. Has solid if unspectacular defensive capabilities.

Miller: For as dumb as Abdelkader can be, Miller is a pretty heady player. He has good size, skating and decent physicality. Has a small amount of offensive skill. Solid defensive game. Good team player.

If I had to choose one over the other I would take Miller without hesitation. With Miller what you see is what you get. With Abdelkader there may still be some untapped potential but I don't think we'll see much more than what we've already seen.
I would be happy to take Miller off your hands. What would be the price if he was cut loose?

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 04:39 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:

Somebody clearly doesn't like Abdelkader very much.

Well I think we need to LTIR Eaves. Cannot imagine he is good to go. Chances are if they ever sign a CBA someone gets hurt in camp and this is a problem for a month in maybe.

If I had to pick one I would probably package Miller and a pick for a solid stay at home type. Miller has some value and is coming off a career year. But as seen by assessments like the one above we seem to have forgot this guy was waived to us and couldn't find a deal anywhere on the market last year. The fact we can get a return on him right now to me is a steal. If not would rather give up on Emmerton than Mursak, want to see him with a healthy ankle, guy used to be faster, hoping he gets that back.

The Zetterberg Era is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 04:47 PM
BinCookin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
Why cut a guy who's not even on the team and is slated to be the #1 center in GR?
wasn't quite sure where Andersson was in terms of development. Still lots of upside then.

Old
08-17-2012, 04:52 PM
P U L L H A R D
Picca Slice

vCash: 420
Abby, Emmerton, Cleary, Holmstrom (do not re-sign), and then eventually Bert and Sammy.

08-17-2012, 04:53 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
wasn't quite sure where Andersson was in terms of development. Still lots of upside then.
No he is pretty much a fourth line center, he has a year of options still left is more the point. He is pretty much NHL ready, nice guy to have when injuries hit. Just doesn't factor into having to make a hard decision about. The one thing about Andersson is he has good work ethic. He improves each year and game really by a lot. Maybe he can become more than the 4th liner, but he gets the maximum out of himself and I really like that about him.

The Zetterberg Era is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 04:56 PM
crashman

vCash: 1376
Hopefully they don't have to "cut loose" anyone. I'd love to see them get something for the guys that don't win a job in training camp.

Mursak is going to have a hard time making the team considering what type of player he is, and the more promising and younger players (Tatar) that are coming up.

People bag on Emmerton more than he deserves, but if the coaching staff/management is really as high on Abdelkader as I believe they are, I don't see much room for him on the roster. If Sheahan outplays him in camp, or even comes close, I think Emmerton is gone.

I really like what Eaves brought to this team prior to his injury, but if he's not able to play by the start of the season, he needs to go. I feel bad for the guy, but the Wings can't hold a roster spot for a grinder/physical player that has concussion issues. In my opinion, Tootoo is already slotted to replace Eaves.

crashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 05:03 PM
KapG

Why all the talk about abdelkader being a bad Centre? His Faceoff percentages seem to come off as being pretty good.

Is it his play after the whistle at the centre position that pisses some of you off? I'm curious because I see the FO% numbers and as a 4th line C, he seems to be pretty good.

Clearly he has some defensive awareness as well as he is out there on the PK a good amount of time too.

You can send him to Toronto and we will welcome him with open arms. He seems to get a bad rap from some people around here. He also had a good WHC this year.

KapG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 05:11 PM
Wolverine Wings
#thankyoubasedgod

I think Emmerton is done. Abby is a serviceable 4th line center and if this team wants to get more physical it is better served to have him and Tootoo at the same time. Also, if Sheahan beats Emmerton for the healthy scratch, I bet they pull a Commie and send him off for basically nothing or just outright waive him.

Tootoo - Abby - Mursak isn't a bad 4th line.

I'm also on board for trading Miller. I like his PK ability and how hard he plays, but he is super thin and not fast enough to make up for it. I like him, but at the same time he is probably one of the more valuable trade pieces Detroit has especially when they are over-encumbered in the bottom 6.

Wolverine Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 05:47 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:

Cory Emmerton?
Jan Mursak?
Others?

What do you think?
If I could gut any guys off the roster without consequence:

Samuelsson
Bertuzzi
Miller
Eaves
Cleary

I'd go with:

Flip Datsyuk Brunner
Nyquist Zetterberg Franzen
Tatar Helm Tootoo
Abdelkader Emmerton Mursak

IMO, keeping Sammy, Bert, Eaves, Cleary and Miller does not improve our team. The only way having those four guys improves the team is injury depth.

But screw that.
We've got a log jam of young players ready to go:
Five veterans are clogging their path... which makes no sense given the state of this team

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote