HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How do we get from here to a cup?

Old
08-17-2012, 04:33 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

vCash: 500

Dullest month in hockey history, so:

Post your 2-5 year plan to turn the Sabres into a cup winner. Who do we target in FA? Who might end up available for trade? Who's still on your cup winning roster? What presumptions do we have to make about our kids developing?

I would like to state for the record that OP is totally kosher with people getting drawn dramatically off-topic as necessary for good times.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 04:43 PM
DJN21

I'd target Getzlaf with everything I've got even with our center abundance. You have to assume he gets in the 7million per year range average.

Sign Clowe hopefully for something around 4 million(if under then thats even better). Then potentially trade stafford though if stafford performs well this year this move could be moot.

Ditch Leino somehow.

Get RR to take a hometown discount on 1 year deals(similar to teemu with the ducks, we all know he doesnt wanna move his family again so Id hope for something in the 2-3 million range at a paycut due to his age and clearly declining performance.)

Vanek-Getzlaf-Pominville
Stafford/Clowe-Grigorenko-Foligno
Ennis-Hodgson-Ott
Kaleta-Girgensons-Tropp
*gives armia one more year to marinate in the minors*

Myers-Sekera
CE-Sulzer
RR-McNabb
*Weber, any number of defense prospects we have coming up

has plenty of potential grit not counting scott or cody potentially being extras, young, great vets in getz,vanek,ott,poms...speedy...i likeit

DJN21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 04:44 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

I'll refrain from specifics but I'll just state,,,the FO needs to make bold moves in order to get to the cup. No more playing it safe. DR has def gotten bolder since T Pegs took over but...i believe he has to increase his boldness further.

Beerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 04:47 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJN21 View Post
I'd target Getzlaf with everything I've got even with our center abundance. You have to assume he gets in the 7million per year range average.

Sign Clowe hopefully for something around 4 million(if under then thats even better). Then potentially trade stafford though if stafford performs well this year this move could be moot.

Ditch Leino somehow.

Get RR to take a hometown discount on 1 year deals(similar to teemu with the ducks, we all know he doesnt wanna move his family again so Id hope for something in the 2-3 million range at a paycut due to his age and clearly declining performance.)

Vanek-Getzlaf-Pominville
Stafford/Clowe-Grigorenko-Foligno
Ennis-Hodgson-Ott
Kaleta-Girgensons-Tropp
*gives armia one more year to marinate in the minors*

Myers-Sekera
CE-Sulzer
RR-McNabb
*Weber, any number of defense prospects we have coming up

has plenty of potential grit not counting scott or cody potentially being extras, young, great vets in getz,vanek,ott,poms...speedy...i likeit

where is gerbe n leino?

Old
08-17-2012, 04:50 PM
DJN21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
where is gerbe n leino?
I said at the beginnning id ditch leino somehow and gerbe as much as I and all the fans love him would likely lose his spot to tropp on my squad. Though if the cap permitted it Id gladly keep him as an ideal 13th forward since he can play any forward position(granted u dont want him at center).

DJN21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 04:57 PM
Jame
Dream '16

we wait patiently...
groom our talent properly...
don't sacrifice the future for short term hopes...

dream 2016

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 05:14 PM
tsujimoto74

Wait, develop the kids properly, and dump Leino somewhere.
With all the youth we have that looks likely to be in the NHL in the next couple of years, we should have no problem creating cap space to target FAs if we want to.

Without trades/signings, I imagine the roster looking something like this by the start of the 13-14 or 14-15 season, but maybe we sign someone like Perry or Hartnell (if they make it to FA) and let Vanek walk:
Vanek-Hodgson-Pominville
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Ott/Girgensons-Grigorenko-Armia
Gerbe-Ott/Girgensons-Kaleta

McNabb-Myers
Sekera-Ehrhoff
Regehr*-Pysyk
*I think we'll re-sign him for 2 more years
And then maybe Weber/Sulzer stick around for depth, depending on how they do this year.

We've got a nice mix of skill, speed, and size on this roster if the prospects pan out as we hope.

Last edited by tsujimoto74: 08-17-2012 at 07:05 PM.
tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 06:14 PM
brian_griffin
"Elite Poster" ???

Cross at the Peace Bridge, Rainbow, or Lewiston-Queenston. Get on the QEW to TO, stay on that, keep hugging the lake on the Gardiner (elevated) instead of heading inland, exit a few miles down for Yonge street / Lake Shore (surface level). The HHOF is ~2 blocks walk from there.

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 06:25 PM
Tra La La

The 2013-14 roster has a chance to catch lightning in a bottle. Forwards will be good enough I think. A lot would be riding on Mcnabb and Pysyk though. I would be a little more comfortable if Leopold and Sulzer could be signed through 2013-14.

Vanek/Hodgson/Pominville
Foligno/Ennis/Stafford
Ott/Grigorenko/Armia
Gerbe/Girgensons/Kaleta
Scott

Erhoff
Myers
Leopold
Sekera
Weber
Sulzer
Mcnabb
Pysyk

Tra La La is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 06:26 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
we wait patiently...
groom our talent properly...
don't sacrifice the future for short term hopes...

dream 2016
Pretty much this, except with shuffling around certain vets (Roy for Ott) and prospects (Kassian for Hodgson) whenever the opportunity unveils itself.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 07:00 PM
La Cosa Nostra
FIRE MURRAY

Build around Ennis,Hodgson,Grigorenko,Girgensons,McNabb,Myers and Foligno.Hope that Enroth takes that next step.Miller is already 32, he isn't getting younger and we really need Enroth to solidify himself as a future franchise goalie.

And does anyone else get vibes from Ennis & Hodgson that they will be a Briere & Drury type duo for us?They have the talent and potential to be building blocks for a great team.We are deep enough with top notch center prospects that we are going to have to move Ennis back at wing

In 4 years our centers will be Grigorenko-Hodgson-Girgensons

La Cosa Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 07:05 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

vCash: 50
Throw BIG money at a true #1 center via UFA if one comes up. No more Leino crap, let our kids develop and GO!!!!!!

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 07:09 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJN21 View Post
I said at the beginnning id ditch leino somehow and gerbe as much as I and all the fans love him would likely lose his spot to tropp on my squad. Though if the cap permitted it Id gladly keep him as an ideal 13th forward since he can play any forward position(granted u dont want him at center).

ahh..so you did (about leino)

I'm kinda in the same boat when it comes to Gerbe...love his game and all but he wouldn't fit into my future plans for the team.

Old
08-17-2012, 07:44 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
ahh..so you did (about leino)

I'm kinda in the same boat when it comes to Gerbe...love his game and all but he wouldn't fit into my future plans for the team.
I concur. Gerbe has a ton of spunk and some great skills, but I think he's just hit his ceiling and it's at a level where he doesn't really belong on a great forward corps. He's halfway to a skill role, halfway to an energy role, but size really hinders him from being great at either.

Old
08-17-2012, 07:56 PM
Connor McDavid
Generational Poster

vCash: 436
Wait 3 years

Connor McDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 07:57 PM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_griffin View Post

Cross at the Peace Bridge, Rainbow, or Lewiston-Queenston. Get on the QEW to TO, stay on that, keep hugging the lake on the Gardiner (elevated) instead of heading inland, exit a few miles down for Yonge street / Lake Shore (surface level). The HHOF is ~2 blocks walk from there.
Painfully funny.

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 08:02 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatal System Ehrhoff View Post
Wait 3 years
I've tried that a few times. It's had some mixed results.

Old
08-17-2012, 08:41 PM
Der Jaeger

Looking as the GM, so I'm not going to get wrapped up in lines and pairing. I'll let the head coach work the details.

The goal is to win a Cup, but intermediate goals have to be set. Here are mine:

- Build three scoring lines and one energy line
- Build lines with the "sandpaper-playmaker-scorer" concept
- Build one defensive shutdown pairing

Time horizon: 2016 is too far to plan for in detail. The start of the 2014 season seems about right.

Assumption 1: Youth develops as planned for at least two years
Assumption 2: RFA's between now an 2014, to include 2014 RFAs, will be signed (Ennis, Hodgson, Enroth, Foligno, etc.)
Assumption 3: Injuries will not end any careers between now and 2014
Assumption 4: Leopold, Sulzer are not resigned after the season, Regehr is for one year

FORWARDS
Sandpaper players for the first three lines: Foligno, Girgensons
Playmakers for the first three lines: Grigorenko, Ennis, Hodgson
Scorers for the first three lines: Armia, Stafford

UFA's: Pominville, Vanek, Ott, McCormick
Available players in organization: Tropp, Gerbe, Kaleta, Leino, Kea, Catenacci, Sundher, Adam

DEFENSE
Two-way: Myers, Sekera
Offense: Ehrhoff
Defense: Weber, McNabb

UFA: Regehr
Available in organization: Brennan, JGL, Pysyk, McCabe

GOALTENDER
Enroth

UFA: Miller

My thoughts:
- Buffalo has enough various styles of forwards to field a decent, maybe even defensive fourth line, so I'll let that situation sort itself with the players on hand.
- Buffalo needs a third scoring forward, but with Vanek, Pominville, and maybe Tropp or Adam, the team can resign or promote internally to fill the position
- Buffalo needs another "sandpaper" forward to play on one of the top three lines. Tropp might be able to fill that position, but giving him competition won't be bad, since physical forwards aren't plentiful in the system
- Miller can be resigned and is the team's best option

The Plan
- Trade Vanek now. Chicago is a team that is nearly always in win-now mode, they have cap room, and seven defenders under contract. Basis of the trade: Vanek to Chicago for Hjalmarsson and McNeill. McNeill can be the forward to compete with Tropp for top nine minutes.
- Resign Miller, Ott, Pominville.
- Resign Hjalmarsson.
- Keep option open to resigning Regehr depending on how Weber plays
- Trade Leino to help get a cap floor team above the limit.

Forwards
Sandpaper: Foligno, Girgensons, Tropp/McNeill
Playmaker: Grigorenko, Ennis, Hodgson
Scorer: Armia, Stafford, Pominville
Energy: Ott, Gerbe, Tropp/McNeill, Kaleta

System: Adam, Kea, Catenacci, Sundher, rookies from 2013 and 2014 draft

Defense
Two-way: Myers, Sekera, Pysyk
Defensive: McNabb, Hjalmarsson, Weber (Regehr)
Offensive: Ehrhoff

System: JGL, McCabe, Brennan, rookies from 2013 and 2014 draft

Goaltender: Miller, Enroth

The head coach can organize the lines and pairs as desired.

Last edited by Der Jaeger: 08-17-2012 at 08:51 PM.
Der Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 08:42 PM
is the answer jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
I concur. Gerbe has a ton of spunk and some great skills, but I think he's just hit his ceiling and it's at a level where he doesn't really belong on a great forward corps. He's halfway to a skill role, halfway to an energy role, but size really hinders him from being great at either.
I'd keep Gerbe on this team moving forward and I disagree with your assesment that he's hit his ceiling and is halfway to an energy role. He's a very good energy player who frequently gives all he's got on most of his shifts and having watched him in his BC days I can't help but think he's still got some untapped offensive potential.
I believe after this last draft we've taken a massive step forward towards building a contender down the road. If the sabres stumble this year they should not only be selling off pieces approaching UFA like Leopold, but should continue moving out the "Rochester core" sans Pominville. Shop Miller and shop Vanek and build up your assets for the next draft that looks like it will have some phenomenal players in it.

is the answer jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 09:52 PM
kirby11

Step 1: Go to your kitchen.
Step 2: Open cabinets.

Now for the non sarcastic answer: Keep building with the youth, let the guys up front and mcnabb/pysyk/JGL develop on the back end. Keep up drafting well. Depending on how miller is when his contract is about to be up, deal him or, if he's still playing at a high level, sign him to a short deal if enroth isn't ready. If they let him go, sign a decent veteran goalie in UFA market to help enroth carry the load. Trade Vanek for an Ott like player (idk if he'll be here in a couple more years) maybe a bit younger and with a bit more offensive ability. Re-up Poms.
Dump Leino to a team that needs to get to the cap floor.

Hopefully, in say a couple of years, we look like:
Poms-Grigs-Armia
Stafford-CoHo-Ennis (2 scoring lines, trying to have a good mix of speed, size, and playmaking ability)
Gerbe-Girgs-Foligno (Defensive, shutdown line)
I don't think rolling 3 offensive lines is feasible for playoff hockey because it's just a lot more physical, refs let things go more, and considering you have to play at least as many games on the road as you do at home during a series, it's difficult to get favorable matchups consistently for a defensively weak, offensively minded line. (like RAV or FES) Yes, Foligno has to develop that part of his game, but I think if coaches asked him to work hard at it, he absolutely would.
Kaleta-X-X (energy line)
not sure if all this is feasible w/ cap space and new contracts for Hodgson, Ennis, and Foligno

Myers-Sekera
Hoff-McNabb
Pysyk-JGL/UFA dman

Miller or UFA goalie/Enroth

kirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 11:11 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

DRIVE TO LA?

I think they just need to find the right mix of size, speed, skill, and toughness with their forwards. The defense needs another stud, and Miller has to want to be the best in the league.

Figure all that out and they can win a Cup. You don't need to build the 84 Oilers to win a Cup these days.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 12:55 AM
slip

If Ennis/Hodgson tear it up and become a legit 1/2 center combination, Foligno emerges as our Lucic (15 goal, tough as nails winger), and young blueliners like Myers and McNabb hit their stride and don't look back, we can measure our cup run in months (8-16) rather than years (3-5).

I know, I know, that's a lot of ifs....

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 01:07 AM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

1) Collect Underpants

2) ????

3) Stanley Cup

Karate Johnson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 01:14 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karate Johnson View Post
1) Collect Underpants

2) ????

3) Stanley Cup

They know the formula!

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 01:28 AM
Push Dr Tracksuit
Gerstmann 3:16

I will count myself among the let the in house talent develop. The question then becomes are we asking to much for this entire batch of draftees to pan out. Hodgson, Ennis, Myers, Girgs, Grigs, Armia, Pysyk is basically asking this organization to nail every top pick in the last 4(5?) drafts. With the NHL draft being as inexact as it is are we setting ourselves up to fail expecting them all to work out? Or is this just balancing out averages from how badly we drafted the previous decade.

Push Dr Tracksuit is offline   Reply With Quote