HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks Fans, which era do you prefer?

View Poll Results: ...
Kesler-Sedins 89 47.85%
West Coast Express 24 12.90%
Linden/Bure/Adams/McLean 69 37.10%
Smyl/Gradin/Snepsts/Brodeur 4 2.15%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-16-2012, 01:12 AM
Shareefruck

vCash: 500
I don't think anyone can argue against this one being technically the best.

But that 94 team was much better at winning you over emotionally.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 02:52 AM
TTOMO

Early 90's followed by now.

Pavel Bure, that's all you need to know.

TTOMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 01:57 PM
Patchy

Many people claim the '94 team because they apparently had more heart than all other teams. I'm betting a lot of people wouldn't say this if they had been a higher seed in that season. In fact, they must have really underachieved that season. Finishing 7th after winning two divisional titles. That's like if this team would miss out on a division title next season.

Patchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 07:08 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer79 View Post
I'm not sure what you are remembering, unless you forgot the

2002-2003 season The 'we choked' season, lost out on first place and Naslund losing scoring title to Forsberg on final day. Team fell behind 3-1 to the Blues, but a flu ravaging the Blues roster contributed to the game 7 comeback. Canucks jump up 3-1 on the Wild, but Cloutier collapsed and Canucks get bounced in 7.

2003-2004 season Bertuzzi got suspended, but was clearly slumping before the incident, Canucks get bounced by Calgary in first round

2004-2005 season lockout no hockey

2005-2006 season Bertuzzi returned, but was not the same player, team lost 6 of 8 last games and missed playoffs by 3 points. Crawford got fired and AV hired, and Bertuzzi and Allen were traded for Luongo.

It was an era that I'd rather forget. All the Naslund worship was a bit over-the-top considering how little that team accomplished, but that's for another thread.
I will start a thread later on that, but interesting to hear.

Melrose Munch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 07:37 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchy View Post
Many people claim the '94 team because they apparently had more heart than all other teams. I'm betting a lot of people wouldn't say this if they had been a higher seed in that season. In fact, they must have really underachieved that season. Finishing 7th after winning two divisional titles. That's like if this team would miss out on a division title next season.
Did you watch 94? I don't think people are basing it on that at all.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 07:49 PM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchy View Post
The team had killed themselves to win division titles the two previous years, only to be defeated by underdog low seeds who had limped into the playoffs. The team learned from it, and the division title was less of a priority.

Also the Peter Nedved holdout was a distraction all season which affected the team negatively, and subtracted a 38-goal scorer from the roster until the trade deadline.

As for the original question, the current era is clearly the best team in club history, but my emotional attachment to the 1991-94 team will probably never be topped.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 10:15 AM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnish Your Czechs View Post
If that team had compenent goaltending they'd rank a lot higher I'm sure.

Hell, we'd probably have a cup by now too.
No goalie was going to save the absolute SUCKAGE of the WCE in the playoffs. I know it's fun to dump on Cloutier, but when the Lidstrom goal went in the series was still 2-0 Vancouver. From that point on, Naslund / Bertuzzi did nothing. If memory serves, they had 1-2 points total. They did nothing in the MN series either except talk.

Naslund's playoff legacy is a nice rush to tie a game 7 in round 1 only to lose minutes later. Think hard about ANYTHING else you remember from his playoff career. It's tough, because he was never relevant. If you can, you either don't drink enough or are the owner of a Naslund jersey. He had one career playoff gwg, and that was a 2nd period goal to make it 4-1. Bertuzzi never scored a GWG in the playoffs. Chris Higgins will go down as a better playoff performer for this team.

Edit: I forgot about another great Naslund playoff moment, remember when he got an ovation while on crutches?

Last edited by craigcaulks*: 08-17-2012 at 10:21 AM.
craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 12:44 PM
End on a Hinote
Registered Abuser

Gonna say West Coast Express

- The Canucks were ranked as one of the most exciting teams back then and not the most hated

- I truly think if we didn't cave against Minnesota in '03 we would have won the cup

- Also, I was younger and was more into the Canucks then than I am now, such an exciting time for me personally

End on a Hinote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 04:42 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by End on a Hinote View Post

- The Canucks were ranked as one of the most exciting teams back then and not the most hated

- I truly think if we didn't cave against Minnesota in '03 we would have won the cup

- Also, I was younger and was more into the Canucks then than I am now, such an exciting time for me personally
Exactly. People outside Van City hate this current team for some reason. Back then everyone loved Bertuzzi, Morrison, Naslund, Linden

Old
08-17-2012, 04:45 PM
Derp Kassian

This era AINEC.

Derp Kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 05:00 PM
vadim sharifijanov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
Exactly. People outside Van City hate this current team for some reason. Back then everyone loved Bertuzzi, Morrison, Naslund, Linden
lovable losers.

as an outside observer, i was a big fan of the irbe/larionov-era sharks, the alfredsson/hossa/chara/redden sens, etc.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 05:02 PM
vadim sharifijanov

Quote:

i can't see that team beating '03 giguere, but even if they did, scott stevens would have ended naslund's career. also can't see the team scoring against john madden playing out of his mind, scoring on brodeur, or defending against niedermayer at his absolute counter-attacking best.

oh yeah, and who wins the coaching duel, crawford or mike babcock? crawford or pat burns?

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 05:11 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:

Yeah that's it, a garbage expansion team kept us back from winning. We BARELY scraped by the first round.

Old
08-17-2012, 05:16 PM
Hammer79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
I think it had to do with perspective and expectations.
1996-1997 no playoffs
1997-1998 no playoffs
1998-1999 no playoffs
1999-2000 no playoffs
2000-2001 swept in first round by Avalanche
2001-2002 lost in 6 to Detroit
2002-2003 beat St Louis in 7, lose to Wild in 7
2003-2004 lost to Calgary in 7
2004-2005 lockout
2005-2006 miss playoffs

Take a team that hasn't made the playoffs in 4 years, and then make the playoffs for 4 straight years and even win one round, that's relatively successful when compared to the era that proceeded it. They had decent regular season scoring stats, but the best era in Canucks history though? Not by a long shot.

Quote:

Even if they got past the Wild, they would have run into Giguere in the conference finals. The Canucks forwards were pulling a disappearing act against a defensive team in the Wild. The Ducks were even better at playing that style. I think the Ducks would have capitalized on the Canucks mistakes and weak goaltending and would have taken the conference final in 4 to 5 games.

2006-2007 Luongo era begins, beat Dallas in 7, lose to Ducks in 5
2007-2008 win only 1 out of 8 final games, miss playoffs by 3 points
Nonis fired
2008-2009 Sweep Blues, lose to Blackhawks in 6
2009-2010 Beat Kings in 6, lose to Blackhawks in 6
2010-2011 Beat Blackhawks in 7, Beat Nashville in 6, Beat San Jose in 5, Lose to Bruins in 7
2011-2012 Lose to Kings in 5

During WCE era, Canucks make 2nd round twice (if you count 2006-2007) in 7 seasons.

During current era, Canucks win 5 rounds in 4 years, make cup appearance and win 2 President's Trophies.

Current era AINEC

Hammer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 06:05 PM
LuckyDay

Lou should be mentioned in the current era and Tiger with the Brodeur era. Tiger almost had his sweater retired if it weren't for my hero, Bob Manno.

I think of four other eras before the '82 cup run era:

Blight/Lever/McIlhargey era - last of the old sweaters- introduction of WHA expansion teams - end of the goon era. Not a great era but it had tons of character with Jack in charge. Hanlon could almost be included in this era as his term her was short lived.

Gary Smith era - our first winning seasons. Painfully short when "suitcase" decided to make a statement about AG Sr.'s wife at a party.

Talon/Kurtenbach/New Franchise era - growing pains but a goon squad. Notable for picking up Pat Quinn off waivers who just took out Orr in the '69 playoffs.

WHL era - when the team was probably the best it would be until the '90's

for what its worth Wikipedia lists

Quote:
2 Team history

2.1 1967–1970: NHL application
2.2 1970–82: Early years
2.3 1982 Stanley Cup run
2.4 1982–94: Decline and resurgence
2.5 1994 Stanley Cup run
2.6 1994–2001
2.7 2001–05: "West Coast Express" years
2.8 2005–10: Post-lockout
2.9 2010–2011: 40th anniversary season
2.9.1 2011 Stanley Cup run
2.9.2 2011-12: Consecutive Presidents' Trophies
with the WHL Canucks being listed as part of the "hockey background"

LuckyDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 07:19 PM
Royal Canuck
HF's Bounty Hunter

vCash: 50
The West Coast Express was my childhood, especially Markus Naslund, so I have to go with them. Sedin's / Kesler isn't far behind, I wasn't even around for the Linden/Bure/McLean era or the Smyl/Snepts/Brodeur era, so I can't really vote for them.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
Xbox Live Gamertag: "CxC Canuck"
"You're never a loser until you quit trying. " - Mike Ditka
Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 09:04 PM
Andre Boudrias

Send a message via MSN to Andre Boudrias
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Wiggum View Post
The West Coast Express was my childhood, especially Markus Naslund, so I have to go with them. Sedin's / Kesler isn't far behind, I wasn't even around for the Linden/Bure/McLean era or the Smyl/Snepts/Brodeur era, so I can't really vote for them.
I guess your opinion is a mute point considering you have witness 12 out of 42 years of Canucks hockey.

The Sedins have had playoff success. Naslund and Bertuzzi were playoff chokers.

Andre Boudrias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 11:22 AM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc View Post
I guess your opinion is a mute point considering you have witness 12 out of 42 years of Canucks hockey.

The Sedins have had playoff success. Naslund and Bertuzzi were playoff chokers.
Yes, it's a mute point. Lucky this site has no sound.

I am not sure how anyone's opinion on which era THEY prefer can be deemed moot.

Old
08-18-2012, 04:13 PM
KidCanuck*
HORS∃Y

I may not vote in this poll

KidCanuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 07:10 PM
IslesGM

I voted 94. My heart.

Being a Canucks fan in MTL, after the miracle run of 93 for the Habs was unbearable. 30habs fans and me in a class. Brutal.

then the 94 run began. My Mom's friend was over (used to be an olympic athlete) and was chirping. St Patrick this, and St. Patrick that. Canucks had just gone down 3-1 to the Flames. I got mad (I was 12) and told her that by the next time she was over, the Canucks would be playing for the Cup, and the Habs would be on the golf course.

I stayed up late for every game, and the 3 OT wins were classic. Game 7 was enthalling. the McLean toe save. Still the greatest save of all-time.

The Habs lost in 7games (appendicitis for Patty Roy).

To this day, when I watch game7 94, I always think we are going to win. that 3rd period makes it seem impossible that we won't. the Sens game last year was very similar. Baddddd memories.

The next time Ann was over, sure enough, was game7 of the Cup final. She took one look at me in my unwashed Jersey, and hat, and she instantly remembered. Her mind = blown!

That game is still the greatest hockey game I have ever seen (2011 game7 vs Blackhawks is close and so is 2010 GOLD). IF not for the first iffy penalty call, we might have had OT. and if Lafayette had scored, we would have probably won and got to watch big bay Messier cry. **** I hate that guy. Next time he does a "day with the cup" I am gonna show up and throw Lays potato chips at him.

Needless to say. The current team may be better all around, and I love them for the hockey they play, the beautiful passing, the skill, the dominance. But man, that 94 team is still the team that gets you. When you watch that game7 and see them cry, man does it break your heart. Against the best team money can buy and all odds (most called for a sweep).

Then we we had that unbeatable team (when healthy anyway), somehow it didnt work out that way. Funny how the NHL works like that since Gary was here, huh?

All this to say. Love the guys we have now, and I want our rightfully deserved Cup (we have a history of horrible losses like the RedSox, but we're reviled like the Yankees..thanks Media and Edmonton/Calgary), but if that 94 team had won, I would have been the happiest little boy in all of Quebec that day, and that entire year!

IF you grew up now, go on youtube and watch ALL of game7 of the 94 finals. WOW! What a game!

Last edited by IslesGM: 08-21-2012 at 07:14 PM. Reason: forgot
IslesGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 07:34 PM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesGM View Post
I voted 94. My heart.

Being a Canucks fan in MTL, after the miracle run of 93 for the Habs was unbearable. 30habs fans and me in a class. Brutal.

then the 94 run began. My Mom's friend was over (used to be an olympic athlete) and was chirping. St Patrick this, and St. Patrick that. Canucks had just gone down 3-1 to the Flames. I got mad (I was 12) and told her that by the next time she was over, the Canucks would be playing for the Cup, and the Habs would be on the golf course.

I stayed up late for every game, and the 3 OT wins were classic. Game 7 was enthalling. the McLean toe save. Still the greatest save of all-time.

The Habs lost in 7games (appendicitis for Patty Roy).

To this day, when I watch game7 94, I always think we are going to win. that 3rd period makes it seem impossible that we won't. the Sens game last year was very similar. Baddddd memories.

The next time Ann was over, sure enough, was game7 of the Cup final. She took one look at me in my unwashed Jersey, and hat, and she instantly remembered. Her mind = blown!

That game is still the greatest hockey game I have ever seen (2011 game7 vs Blackhawks is close and so is 2010 GOLD). IF not for the first iffy penalty call, we might have had OT. and if Lafayette had scored, we would have probably won and got to watch big bay Messier cry. **** I hate that guy. Next time he does a "day with the cup" I am gonna show up and throw Lays potato chips at him.

Needless to say. The current team may be better all around, and I love them for the hockey they play, the beautiful passing, the skill, the dominance. But man, that 94 team is still the team that gets you. When you watch that game7 and see them cry, man does it break your heart. Against the best team money can buy and all odds (most called for a sweep).

Then we we had that unbeatable team (when healthy anyway), somehow it didnt work out that way. Funny how the NHL works like that since Gary was here, huh?

All this to say. Love the guys we have now, and I want our rightfully deserved Cup (we have a history of horrible losses like the RedSox, but we're reviled like the Yankees..thanks Media and Edmonton/Calgary), but if that 94 team had won, I would have been the happiest little boy in all of Quebec that day, and that entire year!

IF you grew up now, go on youtube and watch ALL of game7 of the 94 finals. WOW! What a game!
1994 we lost game one against Toronto. Game 2 I was drinking in the Langley Hotel and seated at the bar. A couple seats away from me was a Leafs fan. I don't remember exactly how the score went as the game progressed but we were down 1 or 2 goals and this guy was chirping the hell out of the bar full of Canucks fans when the Leafs were up. They had won game one and he was feeling pretty cocky with a lead in game 2.

So we tie the game up (or go up by one - can't recall) and lo and behold who do I see in the can when I go in to take a leak; the same guy who was chirping us is doing his business. I pretended to start doing mine because I could sense an altercation coming on and I didn't want to be "unprepared". So he glances over at me and sees me with a huge grin on my face and says, "What's so funny?" I asked him if he was starting over by laying more eggs in the urinal because he apparently lost count of his chickens. I don't think he got it though - he just looked confused.

08-22-2012, 11:29 AM
ShyCheetah

May you live in interesting times. Is that a Chinese proverb? As much as I loved Bure and Linden as a highlight of my youth and Gradin and Smyl as my child hood; our future history is right now. This current club is the greatest in our history and has a window of about 3-4 years to make history. In 10 years this is the group will be talked about as the team that came sieged for the cup for half a decade or the team that brought the glory.

Shy

ShyCheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 11:52 AM
Melrose Munch

well I think some people have changed their minds

Old
05-10-2013, 12:10 PM
croatNUCKS

I prefer a new era. It is era which is coming soon...

croatNUCKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 12:23 PM
Fat Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of a Dawson View Post
The Robert Dirk, Gerald Diduck and Kay Whitmore era.
The Bieksa of the early 90s Canucks. I mean that in a good way. During the Canucks' '94 run, Mike Harcourt visited the Canucks' room to congratulate them. Diduck saw him coming in and shouted, "Hide your wallets!"

Fat Tony is offline   Reply With Quote