HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off-season Armchair GM Thread Part IX

Old
08-17-2012, 06:16 PM
sweHockeypunk21

vCash: 500
I think these players should be looked at to upgrade our 3rd line. Hopefully one of these teams wants to sell by the deadline. We could give up one of Murray, Demers and Braun for them. I however like the D the way it is.

Kyle Brodziac
Cal Clutterbuck
Curtis Glencross
Tyler Bozac
Frans Nielson
Ryan Jones
David Clarkson
Matt Cooke

sweHockeypunk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 06:31 PM
CommanderShepard15
Eberle=Clutch

Boyle to Detroit for Darren Helm and Ian White?

I like it, not sure Detroit would

CommanderShepard15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 06:43 PM
WTFetus
Most popular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thLinePlug View Post
Boyle to Detroit for Darren Helm and Ian White?

I like it, not sure Detroit would
Detroit says no.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 06:47 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Helm is insanely overrated, especially by Wings fans. He plays cushy minutes and is a 30 point player. Wings fans are just obsessed with him because he's "heart and soul" and he's fast and because he's their only decent forward under 30. He's an average third liner, and nothing more.

Helm is not worth the downgrade from Boyle to White, although I'm sure we'd see Wings fans screaming bloody murder. They won't trade Helm for Boyle straight up. I'm starting to think that Boyle is getting insanely underrated by other fans around here.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 06:49 PM
Slipstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Helm is insanely overrated, especially by Wings fans. He plays cushy minutes and is a 30 point player. Wings fans are just obsessed with him because he's "heart and soul" and he's fast and because he's their only decent forward under 30. He's an average third liner, and nothing more.

Helm is not worth the downgrade from Boyle to White, although I'm sure we'd see Wings fans screaming bloody murder. They won't trade Helm for Boyle straight up. I'm starting to think that Boyle is getting insanely underrated by other fans around here.
If you're unsure whether Boyle is underrated and want to convince yourself, make a thread on the general trade rumor boards re: a trade to, say, Montreal. And make it in all caps.

Slipstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 06:57 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipstar View Post
If you're unsure whether Boyle is underrated and want to convince yourself, make a thread on the general trade rumor boards re: a trade to, say, Montreal. And make it in all caps.
I'm not sure what your point is.

Old
08-17-2012, 07:19 PM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Quote:
Habs fans would be overjoyed as long as they were sending Gomez and Pleks for Boyle + Clowe + 1rst or something.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 08:16 PM
DarrylshutzSydor

Quote:

actually the truth is that so many Sharks players are way OVERRATED on this site because people can't take off their Rose Colored glasses. Call it like it is.

DarrylshutzSydor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 08:39 PM
NWShark*

So, I never watched game 5 of this last playoffs because I didn't want to watch the sharks get eliminated. I saved it all this time thinking I might actually go and watch it some time when I was needing a hockey fix. So I finally watched it yesterday and to be honest I don't think the sky is falling on this team as bad as it's been made out to be here. I thought that at least in that game, they played extremely well except for a minute or so lapse when they gave up the 2 goals in the 3rd. Quite frankly they didn't look that slow in comparison to what every says is a fast team. They had a lot of great chances and I thought Niemi was exceptional in that game. I think the changes in coaching and the meager additions of Burish and Stuart will easily return this team to the division title. I'll reserve judgement on DW until I see this team play 20 games. At this point though I'm glad he hasn't done anything ridiculous as far as signings or trades.

NWShark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 10:05 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrylshutzSydor View Post
actually the truth is that so many Sharks players are way OVERRATED on this site because people can't take off their Rose Colored glasses. Call it like it is.
It really sounds like you should be rooting for another team to be honest. People sometimes get on my case about being negative, but I generally back up my opinions with something, not just seemingly blind hatred. You are taking the negativity to another level man.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 10:06 PM
hohosaregood
Drunken Snacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWShark View Post
So, I never watched game 5 of this last playoffs because I didn't want to watch the sharks get eliminated. I saved it all this time thinking I might actually go and watch it some time when I was needing a hockey fix. So I finally watched it yesterday and to be honest I don't think the sky is falling on this team as bad as it's been made out to be here. I thought that at least in that game, they played extremely well except for a minute or so lapse when they gave up the 2 goals in the 3rd. Quite frankly they didn't look that slow in comparison to what every says is a fast team. They had a lot of great chances and I thought Niemi was exceptional in that game. I think the changes in coaching and the meager additions of Burish and Stuart will easily return this team to the division title. I'll reserve judgement on DW until I see this team play 20 games. At this point though I'm glad he hasn't done anything ridiculous as far as signings or trades.
I think nearing the end of the year, the team was being given more freedom to do creative stuff and their play was speeding up but it was probably too late by that time to make a difference in general play style.

hohosaregood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 10:23 PM
Slipstar

Quote:
I'm not sure what your point is.
Oh, was reading a proposal of Boyle for I-forget-whom-on-the-habs. Montreal posters generally all agreed that they didn't want Boyle for a 7th.

Slipstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 10:29 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Oh, was reading a proposal of Boyle for I-forget-whom-on-the-habs. Montreal posters generally all agreed that they didn't want Boyle for a 7th.
That's what I thought, but I didn't want to assume. But yeah, apparently Luongo is worth Boyle and Clowe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohosaregood View Post
I think nearing the end of the year, the team was being given more freedom to do creative stuff and their play was speeding up but it was probably too late by that time to make a difference in general play style.
That was my thought too. I didn't watch Game 5 at all until it aired a couple days ago, like NWShark, and I was actually kinda surprised by how the team looked. I can only assume it was those adjustments McLellan wanted, only kickingin too late.

Old
08-17-2012, 10:37 PM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

It didn't take game 5 for me to have a more positive attitude than most around here, though I did watch it.

A boring off season and the tone around here is why I don't post much right now.

"This is not a nick or a scratch, this is an open wound" - Doug Wilson.
Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 10:58 PM
hohosaregood
Drunken Snacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
It didn't take game 5 for me to have a more positive attitude than most around here, though I did watch it.

A boring off season and the tone around here is why I don't post much right now.
Yea, it was kinda doom and gloom for a couple months. Lots of trade everyone, trade someone, make something happen talk. It's lightened up quite a bit but everyone's panicking about the 3rd line that can score and play well still but that's kind of a mild concern to me. This is probably the first time in a couple years where we've had prospects that could actually be called up and be useful in the process. We got Stalberg and Oleksuk who look like probable NHL quality players. That's something we've been missing

Old
08-17-2012, 11:25 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Yea, it was kinda doom and gloom for a couple months. Lots of trade everyone, trade someone, make something happen talk. It's lightened up quite a bit but everyone's panicking about the 3rd line that can score and play well still but that's kind of a mild concern to me. This is probably the first time in a couple years where we've had prospects that could actually be called up and be useful in the process. We got Stalberg and Oleksuk who look like probable NHL quality players. That's something we've been missing
Well, the third line is a legitimate issue and mild is underselling the problem there. They can't win in the playoffs relying on their top six for all their offense. They can have the best defense and get the best goaltending ever but if you're not putting goals up and doing it when it matters, it's still a loss at the end of the day.

As for the prospects, let's wait and see what they can actually bring. They haven't shown anything that should lead someone to believe they can be called up this upcoming season and be useful. I'll be surprised if they're useful in Worcester especially with the additions made back east. Going into the year, they don't have anyone in Worcester that can be called up and be anything more than a bench warmer.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 11:39 PM
sharski

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
Detroit says no.
Detroit fans would probably not trade Helm for Crosby

sharski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 01:02 AM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Well, the third line is a legitimate issue and mild is underselling the problem there. They can't win in the playoffs relying on their top six for all their offense. They can have the best defense and get the best goaltending ever but if you're not putting goals up and doing it when it matters, it's still a loss at the end of the day.

As for the prospects, let's wait and see what they can actually bring. They haven't shown anything that should lead someone to believe they can be called up this upcoming season and be useful. I'll be surprised if they're useful in Worcester especially with the additions made back east. Going into the year, they don't have anyone in Worcester that can be called up and be anything more than a bench warmer.
The Vlasic story begs to differ. No one knows what this season will bring for the Sharks. No one knows if there will be a season. This will be one of the most unpredictable seasons for the Sharks in the last ten years IMO. It could be boon or bust. Burns could turn into a monster. Couture could shrivel into a borderline second liner. Stuart may be a disappointment. Clowe could never be the same, much like Cheechoo. The new coaching changes could have a huge impact on team chemistry and results. It's not worth even discussing till we see what we have on the ice. But it could be the opposite of doom and gloom because we have the talent if it is healthy and shows up.

Last edited by Led Zappa: 08-18-2012 at 02:07 AM. Reason: No one has replied so I thought I'd add to my thoughts
Old
08-18-2012, 01:21 AM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

Quote:
As hard as it is, we are just going to have to wait and see. The 3rd line is a concern, but we just don't know and there is time to fix it if it flounders. Will they be able to if it flounders? WTFK's. It seems to be an ingredient that leads to Cups, but I don't see a formula that's been predictable before the results to what makes a SC 3rd line, SJeasy's pontificating aside.

Last edited by Led Zappa: 08-18-2012 at 01:34 AM.
Old
08-18-2012, 02:19 AM
NWShark*

Quote:
They are dumb. No other way to put it....

NWShark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 08:04 AM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWShark View Post
They are dumb. No other way to put it....
They're just overrating the living **** out of their players right now.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 09:28 AM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
The Vlasic story begs to differ. No one knows what this season will bring for the Sharks. No one knows if there will be a season. This will be one of the most unpredictable seasons for the Sharks in the last ten years IMO. It could be boon or bust. Burns could turn into a monster. Couture could shrivel into a borderline second liner. Stuart may be a disappointment. Clowe could never be the same, much like Cheechoo. The new coaching changes could have a huge impact on team chemistry and results. It's not worth even discussing till we see what we have on the ice. But it could be the opposite of doom and gloom because we have the talent if it is healthy and shows up.
No one ever knows what this season will bring until you see it on the ice but people can make fairly educated guesses based on what they have. You didn't know what kind of season they'd have two seasons ago when they had Wallin in the top four with Vlasic but people knew the blue line was in trouble with him in that spot and a lack of PMD depth. It's no different here except for the lockout does throw in its own little wrinkle. So if there is a season, this team with its lack of forward depth being addressed is going to kill them. Even with whatever scenarios you have for any of the top players. If they don't get depth scoring up front, they will falter in the playoffs, it's that simple. And they don't really have that with what they got right now and the only guy that I see on the team right now that has a shot is Wingels but he needs more help than Handzus, Burish, Galiardi, and Desjardins.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 12:02 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Had a dream last night that Thornton was traded to the Islanders for Hamonic and Strome. Immediately came here since.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 01:25 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
No one ever knows what this season will bring until you see it on the ice but people can make fairly educated guesses based on what they have. You didn't know what kind of season they'd have two seasons ago when they had Wallin in the top four with Vlasic but people knew the blue line was in trouble with him in that spot and a lack of PMD depth. It's no different here except for the lockout does throw in its own little wrinkle. So if there is a season, this team with its lack of forward depth being addressed is going to kill them. Even with whatever scenarios you have for any of the top players. If they don't get depth scoring up front, they will falter in the playoffs, it's that simple. And they don't really have that with what they got right now and the only guy that I see on the team right now that has a shot is Wingels but he needs more help than Handzus, Burish, Galiardi, and Desjardins.
You got Wingels right. Not enough track record. Handzus used to produce, but his defensive downside has accelerated. Galiardi is not enough track record. Desi is OK for 4th line, not good enough for 3rd. Same for Burish.

You don't know with certainty, but their is a strong correlation on playoff performance track record for lower line players. They need to chip in at .3pts/game pace or higher for playoffs to be considered a performer and it does carry from year to year and team to team with rare exception. Conversely, if a player doesn't hit the mark, it is extremely unlikely that he will do so in the future. Even DW made the point long ago and seems to have forgotten it since. I have made the calls on players like Malhotra before they actually performed for the Sharks (or didn't as the case may be).

Management needs to pay more attention to stats and not offer overrides for vets. There was no excuse for putting White in the lineup. White had a goal diff for the year that was a full goal to the negative between GFA and GAA when he played. A 1.0 differential to the negative or positive is hard to accomplish for any player on any team.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 01:30 PM
hohosaregood
Drunken Snacking

Quote:
What I meant is that it's a relatively mild concern, especially compared to other teams. We don't have a gaping hole in goal(which is much argued among the fans) or on defense. Our top-6 has shown the ability to be one of the best in the last few years, even if it kind of sucked last year. I'll admit that the 3rd line is a concern but compared to some other teams, we're in pretty good shape.