HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Price of Sticks is Getting Ridiculous

Old
08-17-2012, 05:49 PM
Pittsburgh Proud

vCash: 500
Just got a new totally customized TotalOne for $245 with shipping off of the website. Great deal for all the customization. You can put your name and number on it for free if you want as well.

Pittsburgh Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 08:33 PM
michaelshu

Send a message via Yahoo to michaelshu Send a message via Skype™ to michaelshu
I always thought those prices are considered normal in US/Canada, apparently not.
Believe it or not, $250 is an average monthly salary of a fresh college graduate here.

michaelshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 09:24 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I splurged on a bunch of golf gear the last couple weeks but I went used. Got a set of Cleveland TA7 irons, matching set of King Cobra woods (offset 10.5*, 3W, and 5W), a 19* hybrid, and a Cleveland CG12 52* Black Pearl wedge for a total of $200. Used is the way to go for sure.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 09:26 PM
thrillhouse99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I splurged on a bunch of golf gear the last couple weeks but I went used. Got a set of Cleveland TA7 irons, matching set of King Cobra woods (offset 10.5*, 3W, and 5W), a 19* hybrid, and a Cleveland CG12 52* Black Pearl wedge for a total of $200. Used is the way to go for sure.
sure is, there are some great deals to be had on the bay for sure.

Those ta7's were a great iron, im sure youll love em!

thrillhouse99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 09:38 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillhouse99 View Post
sure is, there are some great deals to be had on the bay for sure.

Those ta7's were a great iron, im sure youll love em!
Yep, between eBay, PIAS, and Craigslist I've done pretty well. Picking up golf after 15 years off. Hit the TA7's a couple times and they seem pretty sweet. At some point I need the lie flattened a degree or two and maybe some nice new grips all around. But should be a solid iron that will last me 5+ years. Might try and pick up a 2-ball mallet putter or something similar but should have enough toys to last the next year or so, and all for the price of one high end hockey stick

Old
08-17-2012, 10:08 PM
OpenIceHit42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Proud View Post
Just got a new totally customized TotalOne for $245 with shipping off of the website. Great deal for all the customization. You can put your name and number on it for free if you want as well.
And in day 31 if you block a shot or get slashed all your customization for $245 is gone.

Personally I don't need all that jazz on my stick.

OpenIceHit42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 10:19 PM
P U L L H A R D

vCash: 420
Get a 1 or 2 year old model on sale for $50-$100 that is still really good.

P U L L H A R D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 10:50 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

so is your spelling

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 11:04 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
so is your spelling
And the insightful comment of the day award goes to...

Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 11:06 PM
Fanned On It

Quote:
So buy the models 1-2 down. Easton Mako M5 is the same as an old Easton ST. Bauer APX 7.0 is super close to the old X:60. Warrior Dynasty is like the old Dolomite. You can get sticks from Base for $150.

Top end sticks are WAY better than they were 10 years ago, so if you want the technology from 10 years ago buy a cheaper stick.

Yeah they're "better" but you can't really be buying into all of the "hype-words" they're throwing out there, can you? I mean, pretty much the main difference from price point to price point is the weight of the stick. They try to sell you on all of these technologies that they're using but I seriously doubt that much is changing. I doubt the companies are spending too much more on their newer sticks than they were 5 years ago.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 07:15 AM
Pittsburgh Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenIceHit42 View Post
And in day 31 if you block a shot or get slashed all your customization for $245 is gone.

Personally I don't need all that jazz on my stick.
My old one lasted a year and a half. TotalOnes are pretty damn durable and known for it. My blade just finally broke. Worth the risk, I still play competitively and can tell the difference in my stick. Using my X:15 last night was awful!

Its all about what you want to spend your money on. Me? Bills, booze, bud and hockey.

Old
08-18-2012, 11:22 AM
Beezeral

No disrespect to anyone ITT but unless you are playing tier III travel hockey or above, you shouldn't be considering buying a top end stick.

For the average player, that high performance twig will hurt your game more than it helps it. They are also built for performance, not durability. They are not made to take the pounding of being stepped on, bent the wrong way, and slammed directly into the ice during an off balance slap shot.

I can't count the amount of times ive seen a C league player unwrap a brand new $250 stick for stick and puck and then watch it snap in half 30 minutes later because his technique on his slapper amounted to nothing more than smashing his stick into the ice behind the puck and his wrist shot was seeing how far he could bend the stick before letting loose a nice easy floater

For all my fellow weekend warriors on HFboards. Go get your self a SHAFT in the $50-$75 dollar range that has reviews for being extremely durable, and get a good solid blade put on it. You may lose a couple MPH on that slapper and your wrist shot might lose some whip on it, but at least you aren't spending $1000 a year on sticks to play hockey once a week.

Beezeral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 12:10 PM
Pittsburgh Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezeral View Post
No disrespect to anyone ITT but unless you are playing tier III travel hockey or above, you shouldn't be considering buying a top end stick.

For the average player, that high performance twig will hurt your game more than it helps it. They are also built for performance, not durability. They are not made to take the pounding of being stepped on, bent the wrong way, and slammed directly into the ice during an off balance slap shot.

I can't count the amount of times ive seen a C league player unwrap a brand new $250 stick for stick and puck and then watch it snap in half 30 minutes later because his technique on his slapper amounted to nothing more than smashing his stick into the ice behind the puck and his wrist shot was seeing how far he could bend the stick before letting loose a nice easy floater

For all my fellow weekend warriors on HFboards. Go get your self a SHAFT in the $50-$75 dollar range that has reviews for being extremely durable, and get a good solid blade put on it. You may lose a couple MPH on that slapper and your wrist shot might lose some whip on it, but at least you aren't spending $1000 a year on sticks to play hockey once a week.
What? How does it hurt your game? Your wallet maybe but a better stick won't make you a worse hockey player. You gave examples of people who obviously wouldn't and shouldn't buy a top end stick. But tier III and above is a little insane.

Old
08-18-2012, 12:26 PM
Beezeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Proud View Post
What? How does it hurt your game? Your wallet maybe but a better stick won't make you a worse hockey player. You gave examples of people who obviously wouldn't and shouldn't buy a top end stick. But tier III and above is a little insane.
Because those sticks are made to respond to outstanding technique, not the average player. Those sticks reduce the margin of error not increase it. The sweet spot on the blades of those sticks are in the exact spot that only the more experienced players can find almost every time they shoot. It just is what it is.

Feel free to think that because you (generalization not you specificly PP) are carrying a $250 composite stick that you have an advantage over the guy on the other side. At the level most of us play at, the stick just really does not make enough of a difference to be worth the extra cost.

It's like if you were a good driver who all of a sudden got behind the wheel of a race car, you wouldn't have any clue how to come close to reaching the speeds the guys in NASCAR do.

Old
08-18-2012, 12:34 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

IMO hockey sticks don't have sweet spots. There is no disadvantage to a better hockey stick other than expense. They are lighter, better balanced, and have better feel.

Equipment won't make you better than other players, but it could make your performance better. If you can afford to improve your performance, do it.

We're not talking about pure beginners, we're talking about decent amateur players. Obviously someone who can't stand up on skates won't benefit from a $250 stick, but a C-level rec league player can benefit from having a stick that's better balanced and 150g lighter with better puck feel.

Old
08-18-2012, 12:41 PM
Beezeral

Quote:
IMO hockey sticks don't have sweet spots. There is no disadvantage to a better hockey stick other than expense. They are lighter, better balanced, and have better feel.

Equipment won't make you better than other players, but it could make your performance better. If you can afford to improve your performance, do it.

We're not talking about pure beginners, we're talking about decent amateur players. Obviously someone who can't stand up on skates won't benefit from a $250 stick, but a C-level rec league player can benefit from having a stick that's better balanced and 150g lighter with better puck feel.
I disagree. But everyone is entitled to their opinion. I've played all levels of competitive hockey other than Juniors before giving up travel hockey to focus on college. I've played in adult A to adult C. (that's the life of a goalie you go where needed) and I can honestly say that there is at most a slight difference from guys in the C levels using an expensive composite compared to a less expensive stick. The shots look and feel exactly the same when I'm trying to stop them.

On the other hand I can definitely tell the difference when a guy in an A level game shoots a wrist shot with an expensive stick and when he shoots the same shot with his back up cheap stick the next week during a game of open hockey.

Just one goalies opinion.

Old
08-18-2012, 01:54 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:

High end sticks is not a bad choice for easy going beer leaguers and drop-in players. My RS has been with me for 8 months and there's been no signs of wear and tear on it.

I don't take slap shots as much though, that could be why.

Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 02:34 PM
Pittsburgh Proud

Quote:

Summed up

Old
08-18-2012, 06:15 PM
AIREAYE

LOL he basically degraded all of us in one post and is also trying to tell us what to use...

Oh dear.

The truth is that for any sort of amateur rec player (NOT being evaluated/paid), you technically don't NEED any high end sticks at all. The right flex, length and (to an extent) curve are the necessities.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 06:51 PM
SCBruCrew4

How about instead of the argument of high end vs. low end, people just buy what their wallets and personal opinions like.

ME for instance I can't buy a high end...but after research and "testing" different sticks and their feel I went with a Bauer Nexus 400. $70 price tag which is much nicer on my wallet and it's also something that is increased performance over my original wood stick. If I could afford the Mako M5 or the Nexus 1000 then I might get it but for the level I'm at, just having a low end composite is good enough for me.

Yes high ends are lighter and probably help your performance in more ways than one, but if your playing in a D or C/D League do you really need it? IMO no...but I'm also fairly new to the competitive side of the sport so what do I know?!? lol

SCBruCrew4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 07:07 PM
Beezeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
LOL he basically degraded all of us in one post and is also trying to tell us what to use...

Oh dear.

The truth is that for any sort of amateur rec player (NOT being evaluated/paid), you technically don't NEED any high end sticks at all. The right flex, length and (to an extent) curve are the necessities.

So you essentially agree with me

Old
08-18-2012, 07:48 PM
Danglous

I only play rec hockey, but Im a snob when it comes to sticks. The lighter the better. I can no longer afford the high end ones so Im stuck buying heavy crappy sticks and feel like my game is worse because of it. I held a Nexus in the store the other day and just about creamed my pants. I wish I had $250 to just blow on a stick thats going to break in two months

Danglous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 08:17 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
So you essentially agree with me
Yes, I also agree with the shaft+blade suggestion, but your reasoning is completely wrong haha

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 08:22 PM
SCBruCrew4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dikkens View Post
I only play rec hockey, but Im a snob when it comes to sticks. The lighter the better. I can no longer afford the high end ones so Im stuck buying heavy crappy sticks and feel like my game is worse because of it. I held a Nexus in the store the other day and just about creamed my pants. I wish I had $250 to just blow on a stick thats going to break in two months
I have the Nexus 400 and it's actually the lightest sub $100 stick I've found. Step up to the 600 and I bet you'll be happy but without breaking the bank

SCBruCrew4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 07:28 AM
TieClark

What's funny is they're $300 in Canada yet many of them are manufactured here. Kind of like Ford's... made 20 minutes from me yet I have to pay several thousand in transportation fees and several thousand more than the States.

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote