HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Move the Predators to the East?

Old
04-28-2006, 12:01 PM
Evil Genius

vCash: 500
Move the Predators to the East?

Here's a hypothetical (but not impossible) scenario:

If the Penguins moved (hope they don't though) it might likely be to a city further west like Kansas City, Oklahoma City, Milwaukee or Houston. If this happened one possible scenario would be to move Washington out of the Southeast up to the Atlantic where they could cut down on travel and face NY, NJ & Philly more often. The relocated Pens would likely be a good fit in the Central Division, creating an imbalance.

What would fans of the Predators think if your team got moved into the Southeast division?

As a Thrashers fan I'd love to see it. Washington just doesn't seem like a great fit in the Southeast & one of the first things I'd always look for when the NHL schedule comes out was to see when/if Nashville and Atlanta played and if there was a good potential weekend road trip there. Could be a heck of a rivalry, and I'd tend to consider Nashville to be more of a Southern city than a Midwestern or 'Central' city.

Would you give this idea a thumbs up or thumbs down?

And good luck Sunday!!

Evil Genius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2006, 12:06 PM
PredDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Genius
Here's a hypothetical (but not impossible) scenario:

If the Penguins moved (hope they don't though) it might likely be to a city further west like Kansas City, Oklahoma City, Milwaukee or Houston. If this happened one possible scenario would be to move Washington out of the Southeast up to the Atlantic where they could cut down on travel and face NY, NJ & Philly more often. The relocated Pens would likely be a good fit in the Central Division, creating an imbalance.

What would fans of the Predators think if your team got moved into the Southeast division?

As a Thrashers fan I'd love to see it. Washington just doesn't seem like a great fit in the Southeast & one of the first things I'd always look for when the NHL schedule comes out was to see when/if Nashville and Atlanta played and if there was a good potential weekend road trip there. Could be a heck of a rivalry, and I'd tend to consider Nashville to be more of a Southern city than a Midwestern or 'Central' city.

Would you give this idea a thumbs up or thumbs down?

And good luck Sunday!!

I would love it, but I'm afraid most of the evil Detroit transplants that live here in the surrounding Nashville area would not. I freakin' hate everything about the RedWings and would rather see some of the Eastern Conference teams play.

Just my 2 cents...

PredDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2006, 12:08 PM
Bad Karma

Personally no thanks.... I like being in the West if they would do away with the conference heavy schedule and go back to playing atleast everyone twice a season (from the East) I'd be happy. I love the Western Conference what can I say.

Bad Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2006, 12:21 PM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jones93
Personally no thanks.... I like being in the West if they would do away with the conference heavy schedule and go back to playing atleast everyone twice a season (from the East) I'd be happy. I love the Western Conference what can I say.
yeah, because I love 8 or so times a year staying up until midnight watching a hockey game ... jesus ... these games have been miserable

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2006, 12:37 PM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
s'all good, man.

Wouldn't Columbus going east make more sense geographically?

SpinTheBlackCircle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2006, 12:44 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild GM
Technically yes, but from everything I've read, Detroit has first dibs on going east, given the fact they used to be in the east\old rivalry with Toronto\"older brother" of the group.

I'd personally love if the Preds were in the SouthEast conference, as I think rivalries with the Hurricanes and Thrashers would make more sense than any rivarly the Preds currently have.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2006, 12:48 PM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
Technically yes, but from everything I've read, Detroit has first dibs on going east, given the fact they used to be in the east\old rivalry with Toronto\"older brother" of the group.

I'd personally love if the Preds were in the SouthEast conference, as I think rivalries with the Hurricanes and Thrashers would make more sense than any rivarly the Preds currently have.
I personally don't think the league or Wirtz would allow Chicago to be the ONLY WC Original Six franchise though

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2006, 12:52 PM
vopatsrash

I think Columbus and Detroit would move east before we do based on geography.

However, if Pittsburgh moved to Kansas City, Washington moves to the atlantic and Nashville moved to the Southeast, it would make some sense geographically to have WAS, NYR, NYI, NJ, and PHI in one division, NSH, TB, FLA, ATL, and CAR in one division and CHI, DET, STL, KC, and CLB in one division.

I think the decision will come down to where the NHL wants Detroit. They could have the opinion that they want Detroit in the east for increased exposure and rivalries with Toronto and New York. or, they could decide that Detroit should be the anchor team in the west and in the same division with Chicago.

vopatsrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2006, 12:54 PM
AdmiralPred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild GM
I think it would be a horse apiece based on time zones (the games in SJ three time zones away will keep the 'Easterners' up late), but would make geographical sense to have a division with Nashville, Atlanta, Carolina and the FLA teams. From a physical geographical standpoint as moreso from a socio-geographical standpoint.

Last edited by AdmiralPred: 04-28-2006 at 01:04 PM.
AdmiralPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2006, 01:14 PM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
s'all good, man.

I see your point, the Preds would fit great with Atlanta/Carolina/Tampa/Florida.

SpinTheBlackCircle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2006, 03:17 PM
irisheyes555

based purely on geographics nashville is a more SE than washington. also washington is more atlantic than pittsburgh. so having all 3 rotate would make more sense, geographically. after all pittsburgh is closer to detroit and columbus(and probably chicago) than nashville. but basically any team on a line between detroit~nashville could be east or west. the only real difference i can see is that nashville is in the central time zone. pittsburgh, columbus and detroit are all EST. so for game timing purposes it makes more sense to have columbus or detroit moving to the east than nashville.

irisheyes555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2006, 03:38 PM
zingbergeur

Time zones should play some minor role in the decision too. Detroit and Columbus are both Eastern time.

zingbergeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2006, 03:38 PM
FangFingers

I'd love to see the Preds in the east.

In fact, I think thats one of our big problems wrt attendance.

Lets face it, no one in our area gets fired up to see the Oilers, Flames, Nucks, Kings, Yotes, Sharks, or Ducks. There are not, nor with there ever be, a big rival with those teams, no one grew up being a Ducks fan.

The Stars and Avs, Wild, and Jackets are minor draws.

In the east, we'd have a natural rival with Atlanta. People will come out to see the Rangers, Bruins, Maple Leafs, and Flyers, and maybe even the Sens if they stay good. The east has more of the players that people will come out to see - Crosby, Jagr, Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, LeCavlier, Forsberg, etc.

Honestly, outside the Wings, Blues, and maybe the Blackhawks, who in the west are you really itching to see?

What players? Maybe Modano. Or Iginla.

Not to mention, road games that are more easily accessable (its easier to get to Atlanta, Florida, New York, etc than it is to get to California or Western Canada), and actually start at a decent time of the evening.

I cant really see a scenario where we move east, but would love to see it.

FangFingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2006, 05:58 PM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

The strain of traveling from Nashville to San Jose or any other Pacific Time Zone city is too much in the postseason. It shouldn't happen. That's why I believe Detroit should be in the East too.

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2006, 07:54 PM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
I've always wanted us to be in the southeast division in the east. I'd love to get some heated rivalries going with the thrashers and canes!!!

crossxcheck is offline   Reply With Quote