HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Paging Captain Bob - Nashville signs Hannan for $1 MM :)

Old
08-17-2012, 01:37 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 500
Paging Captain Bob - Nashville signs Hannan for $1 MM :)

I know Hannan is one of CB's favorites.
Quote:
Nashville, Tenn. (August 17, 2012) Nashville Predators President of Hockey Operations/General Manager David Poile announced today that the club has signed defenseman Scott Hannan to a one-year, $1 million contract.
Hannan, 33 (1/23/79), has amassed 197 points (33g-164a) and 522 penalty minutes in 908 regular-season games and 15 points (1g-14a) and 89 penalty minutes in 82 playoff games with San Jose, Colorado, Washington and Calgary since the 1998-99 season. The 6-1, 225-pound blueliner enters the 2012-13 season having played more games than any NHL defenseman in the last 10 seasons (798). Hannan dressed for 75-or-more games for the 11th consecutive season (78), and averaged more than 20 minutes of ice time for the ninth time in the last 10 seasons (20:21) with the Calgary Flames a season ago.
With the Hannan signing, the Predators now have two defensemen with more than 800 games of NHL experience for the first time in franchise history (Hannan, 908gp; Hal Gill, 1,070gp). Both veterans in addition to top-four blueliner Kevin Klein also perennially rank among the League leaders in average penalty kill time on ice and blocked shots.
http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.ph...ith_nashville/

One. Million. Dollars.

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 01:39 PM
BinCookin

Thats a good deal.

DRW definitely could have used him.

BinCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 01:41 PM
jaster
I pay off the mods.

CB said he didn't want Hannan this year, so this news will mean nothing to him, in terms of the Wings.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 01:42 PM
doublejack

Increases the chances Lebda returns...

doublejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 01:46 PM
GentlemanMasher*
Registered Abuser

Like I said in another topic, Hannan and Gill on the same team will look a lot like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IixkUjMjzZM

GentlemanMasher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 01:47 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
CB said he didn't want Hannan this year, so this news will mean nothing to him, in terms of the Wings.

Ah, damn. I missed it. I bet he changes his mind when he sees the salary though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublejack View Post
Increases the chances Lebda returns...

Now that Lilja is going to be on LTIR.....

Old
08-17-2012, 01:54 PM
Actual Thought

Is Bykov still available?

Actual Thought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 02:02 PM
jaster
I pay off the mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Ah, damn. I missed it. I bet he changes his mind when he sees the salary though.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 02:17 PM
Heaton
#hope

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Why would he? Hannan signed for the same thing last year.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 02:23 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GentlemanMasher View Post
Like I said in another topic, Hannan and Gill on the same team will look a lot like this...

I highly doubt we see Hannan and Gill on the ice together, especially against Datsyuk, unless it's the PK. Hannan will be in Nashville to create competition among the younger blueliners, and as a stop gap is one or more of the Josi, Blum, Ellis, and Ekholm look out of place at any time during the season. If Hannan ends up playing I'd bet it's with Klein, and Klein is probably the most mobile defenseman in Nashville (the guy can move).

Last edited by TMI: 08-17-2012 at 03:21 PM.
TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 03:09 PM
Henkka

Quote:

Post of the year.

I laughed like ten minutes after seeing this.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 03:11 PM
Legionnaire11
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

I didn't know what to expect when I clicked, that was actually hilarious.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 03:21 PM
doublejack

Quote:
Now that Lilja is going to be on LTIR.....
Lilja!

I seriously can't wait for the announcement that Lebda is back on a 2-way deal. With our paper thin defense, his history here, and the lack of interest in Lebda over the past year... all the right ingredients are there.

doublejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 05:09 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

This is about as much as I could have hoped for, doesn't sign with us and we get to see him six times this year. Hannan is finished, he is a slow player that just lost an additional step, not a good thing. Rozsival is a much better option as is Kubina in my opinion.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 05:20 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
Yeah... Hannan is nice option for $1M of you plan on taking the savings and getting a great player.
Last year, I would have let Ericsson walk at $3M and signed Hannan and used that $2M cap savings to get a real top 6 forward.

But Since Hannaan is a lefty, and we've got a trillion lefty defenseman, and since Hannan would be our shutdown LD and that's Ericsson's job, I don't see it.

But the thing to remember here, once again, is that depth players are available for cheap and it's time to stop paying them prices that make it hard to sign top top players

IMO, with the exception of a great defensive center or an outstanding shutdown D, nobody in your bottom six or bottom pairing should make more than $1.5M.

It should be youngsters and cheap journeymen.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 06:48 PM
Crymson
Fire Holland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Yeah... Hannan is nice option for $1M of you plan on taking the savings and getting a great player.
Last year, I would have let Ericsson walk at $3M and signed Hannan and used that $2M cap savings to get a real top 6 forward.

But Since Hannaan is a lefty, and we've got a trillion lefty defenseman, and since Hannan would be our shutdown LD and that's Ericsson's job, I don't see it.

But the thing to remember here, once again, is that depth players are available for cheap and it's time to stop paying them prices that make it hard to sign top top players

IMO, with the exception of a great defensive center or an outstanding shutdown D, nobody in your bottom six or bottom pairing should make more than $1.5M.

Was Hannan better than Lidstrom last season?

Crymson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 06:50 PM
Eternal Sunshine

Quote:

what does he say right before "...just kidding!" ?

Eternal Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 07:43 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crymson View Post
Was Hannan better than Lidstrom last season?
Did he have more ES points? If so, then yes.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 07:49 PM
sarcastro

The lockout should give him some time to learn to shoot righty, just to bother CB...

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 10:29 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:

Well said. This is a very good example of the musical chairs players and teams play each off-season, but you should plan on both of the bold above being available no matter who overpays for the other spots.

Old
08-17-2012, 11:37 PM
FissionFire

If Ericsson continues his play from the second half of last season into this season, he more than validates Holland's decision to resign him. Holland has a track record of "overpaying" players before they deserve it and letting them grow into and often exceed their contract values, like Kronwall and Zetterberg for example.

Besides, imagine how bad our defense would look right now if he had let Ericsson walk and taken a 1yr flyer on Hannan. We'd be royally screwed considering all his UFA top targets on D signed elsewhere.

FissionFire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 11:44 PM
Heaton
#hope

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post
If Ericsson continues his play from the second half of last season into this season, he more than validates Holland's decision to resign him. Holland has a track record of "overpaying" players before they deserve it and letting them grow into and often exceed their contract values, like Kronwall and Zetterberg for example.

Besides, imagine how bad our defense would look right now if he had let Ericsson walk and taken a 1yr flyer on Hannan. We'd be royally screwed considering all his UFA top targets on D signed elsewhere.
Agreed. Everyone knew Stuart was leaving this offseason so the Ericsson signing was even more necessary. Going with kids and journeymen for the #6 and #7 spot is great, but when you're creeping up into the #4 and #5 you want more stability.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 11:51 PM
Wolverine Wings
#thankyoubasedgod

Quote:
Last year, I would have let Ericsson walk at $3M and signed Hannan and used that $2M cap savings to get a real top 6 forward....
Hindsight is 20/20 but the Wings would probably be up a creek without a paddle if Holland had done that. And knowing Holland, he still would have sat on his hands wasting the cap space until this season.

Though, maybe it could have motivated KH to go out and get Suter for $100mil. Or be more aggressive period. I doubt that though.

Wolverine Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 08:18 AM
Actual Thought

Quote:

We have like a trillion dollars in cap space. I don't think any of our current contracts are making it hard to sign anyone. We could fit Crosby and Malkin under the current cap and not cut anyone.

Actual Thought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 11:15 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post

Why would we be screwed?

If we had Hannan instead of Ericsson and used that $2M to sign Erik Cole or Brad Richards or Ehrhoff or Wisnieski...

Then my guess is that we might actually be in better shape as of today.

This idea of overpaying and letting players grow into it is nice if the players have a lot of growing to do and you're confident they'll make it.

But this is a 2-year deal. Not a 5 or 6 year deal.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote