HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Pittsburgh - Colorado

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-18-2012, 01:40 AM
  #26
DoctrSteveBrule
@MouseRat_Fan
 
DoctrSteveBrule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 4,634
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
The problem is McGinn is the best player in the deal. Even though Kennedy is a decent player, McGinn is the super-sized version of him. Then including Hejda makes the deal that much more worse.

I would trade those two for Despres and a little bit more.

Well one player has to be the best player in every deal.

Also, you're underrating Kennedy and overrating McGinn.

People often forget that Kennedy had 21 goals and 45 points in 2010/2011 playing with Staal and Cooke.

DoctrSteveBrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 01:42 AM
  #27
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Go Griz
 
Big McLargehuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Iceland
Posts: 59,669
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan16 View Post
Once you said Paul Martin can play top pair, Stopped reading.
The guy has been a top pairing defenseman for nearly a decade...but I forgot this is HFBoards, where one bad season means you have negative trade value.

__________________
“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 01:43 AM
  #28
PensBeerGeek
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Washington, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 940
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to PensBeerGeek Send a message via Yahoo to PensBeerGeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
I'll take 1 of Despres, Doumolin or Morrow.
Sure...if you're offering Landeskog.

PensBeerGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 01:46 AM
  #29
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan
 
Ivan13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 14,353
vCash: 900
So this is basically a winger who showed great chemistry with Stastny and Avs best defensive defensman for Pittsburgh's spare parts? Seems fair.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 01:47 AM
  #30
DoctrSteveBrule
@MouseRat_Fan
 
DoctrSteveBrule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 4,634
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
So this is basically a winger who showed great chemistry with Stastny and Avs best defensive defensman for Pittsburgh's spare parts? Seems fair.
Fine, McGinn for Neal? Thats where the consensus value seems to be right about now.

DoctrSteveBrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 01:48 AM
  #31
avsman
Registered User
 
avsman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,831
vCash: 500
McGinn was tied with Stastny for points down the stretch last year, i think the avs want to see what they have in McGinn before moving him, and see if he can help Staz get to his PPG level

avsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 01:50 AM
  #32
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan
 
Ivan13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 14,353
vCash: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctrSteveBrule View Post
Fine, McGinn for Neal? Thats where the consensus value seems to be right about now.
I don't see what's your point and no one said that, but please do post more nonsense.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 02:06 AM
  #33
DatsyukOwns
Hero
 
DatsyukOwns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PensBeerGeek View Post
Sure...if you're offering Landeskog.
This **** cray....

DatsyukOwns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 02:17 AM
  #34
Rhaego
Registered User
 
Rhaego's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Norfolk Island
Posts: 6,646
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PensBeerGeek View Post
Sure...if you're offering Landeskog.
For all three?

Rhaego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 02:18 AM
  #35
Zbynek
Registered User
 
Zbynek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Country: Portugal
Posts: 996
vCash: 500
Hejda for Martin one for one swap.

Makes a lot more sense that anything else.

Zbynek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 03:01 AM
  #36
CobraAcesS
Registered User
 
CobraAcesS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 4,644
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganWolverines View Post
To Pittsburgh: Jamie McGinn and Jan Hejda.
To Colorado: Paul Martin, Tyler Kennedy and a 2013 2nd or 3rd round draft pick.

Pittsburgh gets a top 6 forward (Jamie McGinn) and a shutdown defenceman (Jan Hejda).

Colorado gets Paul Martin (a good two-way defenceman) who can play with Erik Johnson as a top pairing defenceman, Tyler Kennedy can play as your bottom-6 gritty forward and Colorado also gets a 2013 2nd or 3rd round draft pick.

However Paul Martin has a no-trade clause, i'm not sure if he would waive it to go to Colorado.

I knew as soon as I seen McGinn's name in the trade it wouldn't work. He put up a 39 goal pace after the trade... Will he score 39 goals next season? Probably not... But you don't trade a player like that until you make sure, and even as a 20 or 25 goal scorer he still has immense value with his cap hit and as a power forward. True power forwards don't grow on trees and are extremely coveted beyond their offensive output.

McGinn also has the skating speed of smaller offensive players which only adds to a rare skill set, you just don't trade a player like him until you are sure of what you have. Hes young enough and while it was a short stint... showed enough potential to maybe even put him down as a core player for us in the future.

Having Landeskog & McGinn down the left side is perfect for the identity the team is trying to build as well. Which is why it does not make sense for Colorado.

We have extra D and center depth, not enough winger depth to trade any of McGinn, Landeskog, Downie, Jones or Parenteau... That's only 5 of the 6 top 9 wingers we need. Hejduk does not count until he proves that he still can be counted on as well, and even then. For how much longer?

And Martin isn't someone we would part with any of our centers for which is probably obvious.

CobraAcesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 03:04 AM
  #37
Carlzner
Registered User
 
Carlzner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Boulder, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 11,697
vCash: 500
McGinn's value to Colorado is much higher than his value to any other team, because of his production with Stastny.

So it's pointless having a discussion about his value.

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 03:05 AM
  #38
jfisher6
#thestructure
 
jfisher6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Denver
Country: United States
Posts: 3,599
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zbynek View Post
Hejda for Martin one for one swap.

Makes a lot more sense that anything else.
OP really wants McGinn I think

jfisher6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 03:07 AM
  #39
Avs44
Registered User
 
Avs44's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 9,347
vCash: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
McGinn's value to Colorado is much higher than his value to any other team, because of his production with Stastny.

So it's pointless having a discussion about his value.
This. OP and a lot of Pittsburgh fans don't seem to get this.

Avs44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 03:07 AM
  #40
CobraAcesS
Registered User
 
CobraAcesS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 4,644
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
McGinn's value to Colorado is much higher than his value to any other team, because of his production with Stastny.

So it's pointless having a discussion about his value.
Yeah he is basically valued as a 39 goal scoring power forward with rare speed until hi proves otherwise at this point. So far with us that is what he paced himself as, realistic or not.

Pitt is my second favorite team... You guys should understand this after seeing what Neal did. It's not like McGinn was a late round pick either, he was a goal scorer in junior and a pretty early second rounder at 36th over all.

2004-2005 Ottawa 67's-OHL 59 10 12 22 4 35 3 0
2005-2006 Ottawa 67's-OHL 65 26 31 57 -11 113 8 2
2005-2006 Canada-WJ18-A 7 2 1 3 10
2006-2007 Ottawa 67's-OHL 68 46 43 89 -4 49 21 3
2006-2007 Worcester Sharks-AHL 4 1 1 2 -1 4 0 0 0
2007-2008 Ottawa 67's-OHL 51 29 29 58 10 54 11 3

It's not new territory for him...


Last edited by CobraAcesS: 08-18-2012 at 03:14 AM.
CobraAcesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 03:08 AM
  #41
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,901
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PensBeerGeek View Post
Sure...if you're offering Landeskog.
This is how all proposals go bad.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 03:16 AM
  #42
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover
 
Zen Arcade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 16,688
vCash: 500
Pens fans hate Kennedy but love trading him for guys with similar production.

Nothing against McGinn, but lots of guys go to a new a team and light it up for a while.

Zen Arcade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 03:19 AM
  #43
TurdFerguson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,127
vCash: 500
Seeing as Colorado just traded for McGinn, he's not moving yet.

Value wise, the trade is just fine if not tilted in Colorado's favor. Though 2nd and 3rd rounders mean absolutely nothing to people on HFBoards, they mean something in real life; especially when none of the players in the deal are worth a 1st on their own. Later rounds mean nothing on these boards because its no fun thinking of who your team will draft in the 2nd or 3rd round next year. At least with the first round we have an idea.

TurdFerguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 03:21 AM
  #44
CobraAcesS
Registered User
 
CobraAcesS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 4,644
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
Pens fans hate Kennedy but love trading him for guys with similar production.

Nothing against McGinn, but lots of guys go to a new a team and light it up for a while.
True but he has a consistent history of high shooting percentages and was a goal scorer in junior. Look at his shot differential from before and after the trade as far as shots per game...

When we got him... They put him in an offensive role immediately next to our best play-maker and told him to shoot the puck. I think they were going for a diamond in the ruff and so far he has proven them right. So far that is... but it's worth more to find out if he can continue that than it is to trade him for anything less than seriously obscene over payment.

CobraAcesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 03:27 AM
  #45
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover
 
Zen Arcade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 16,688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
True but he has a consistent history of high shooting percentages and was a goal scorer in junior. Look at his shot differential from before and after the trade as far as shots per game...

When we got him... They put him in an offensive role immediately next to our best play-maker and told him to shoot the puck. I think they were going for a diamond in the ruff and so far he has proven them right. So far that is... but it's worth more to find out if he can continue that than it is to trade him for anything less than seriously obscene over payment.
I understand why you'd want to keep him, my post was more directed towards other Pens fans.

The hate for Kennedy just baffles me, sometimes. That's not to say he's an ideal top six player or anything, but he's been a solid contributor here and he steps his game up in the playoffs.

Zen Arcade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 03:59 AM
  #46
SteenMachine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Fenton, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 4,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganWolverines View Post
To Pittsburgh: Jamie McGinn and Jan Hejda.
To Colorado: Paul Martin, Tyler Kennedy and a 2013 2nd or 3rd round draft pick.

Pittsburgh gets a top 6 forward (Jamie McGinn) and a shutdown defenceman (Jan Hejda).

Colorado gets Paul Martin (a good two-way defenceman) who can play with Erik Johnson as a top pairing defenceman, Tyler Kennedy can play as your bottom-6 gritty forward and Colorado also gets a 2013 2nd or 3rd round draft pick.

However Paul Martin has a no-trade clause, i'm not sure if he would waive it to go to Colorado.
Worry about that before you spend 4 pages bickering about who's got more potential to rebound or develop.

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 04:03 AM
  #47
jfisher6
#thestructure
 
jfisher6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Denver
Country: United States
Posts: 3,599
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteenMachine View Post
Worry about that before you spend 4 pages bickering about who's got more potential to rebound or develop.
We're not even done with page 2!

jfisher6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 05:35 AM
  #48
Freudian
Slightly overpaid
 
Freudian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Sweden
Posts: 34,571
vCash: 50
It was rumored around the time of the McGinn trade to Colorado late last year that Avs have been trying to get him for two years. They see something in him and doubt they want to trade him.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 06:48 AM
  #49
CB Joe
Registered User
 
CB Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,863
vCash: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
It was rumored around the time of the McGinn trade to Colorado late last year that Avs have been trying to get him for two years. They see something in him and doubt they want to trade him.
You hear that about a lot of the Avs pick-ups. O'Byrne said he heard the Avs had some interest in him for a while. The same with Johnson, the Avs were calling on him well before the trade.

On another note, I don't understand all the Martin hate. I just wouldn't be willing to see McGinn go for him. I'd rather a Hejda for Martin swap.

CB Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 07:12 AM
  #50
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan
 
Ivan13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 14,353
vCash: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB Joe View Post
You hear that about a lot of the Avs pick-ups. O'Byrne said he heard the Avs had some interest in him for a while. The same with Johnson, the Avs were calling on him well before the trade.

On another note, I don't understand all the Martin hate. I just wouldn't be willing to see McGinn go for him. I'd rather a Hejda for Martin swap.
I'd rather keep Hejda, he and ROB were huge reasons why our PK improved so much.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:36 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.