HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Griffin Reinhart Russia/Canada

Old
08-16-2012, 04:33 PM
islandermaniac

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
I don't think the Nino/AHL thing applies to his case. Nino was physically ready for professional hockey, but he needed more experience and time to hone professional skills. The AHL would've worked for him. Strome, I think, is the mirror image. So, if Strome is not physically ready for the NHL, I don't see the point in eating up a year of his entry-level deal. Let him get bigger in the CHL.

Cheers,

Dan-o
this is the part that very few seem to understand. this is where the islanders lost out more than anywhere else when it came to niederreiter. the islanders used one year of the seven that they own him....and wasted it. did snow wang learn from this, or do they even care? i guess we'll see.

islandermaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 04:42 PM
islandermaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
No offense but how can anyone say Strome needs to be sent back to Juniors before training camp even starts?

I get not wanting to rush our top draft picks, but if the kid earns a spot he should be on the team.

Looking at the top-10 from that draft, there's 4 guys who are already NHL regulars(RNH, Landeskog, Larsson, Couturier), another two who have had NHL time(Scheifele and Zibanejad) and will probably make the team this year, two guys who are all but guaranteed to start this year in the NHL(Huberdeau and Hamilton), and another who isn't a guarantee but a guy I expect to make it anyway(Brodin). Strome is the only other member of that top-10.

On top of that, when you look at our team there is currently a gaping hole at 2nd line center, assuming Boyes is playing with Moulson and Tavares. IMO Strome will get every opportunity to take that job and run with it.

I'd honestly be shocked if we didn't see Strome for at least 9 games next season.
having a strong camp is one thing, but i'm afraid placing him on the team is not that simple. playing well in camp does not mean that his body will allow him to continue that high level of play as the 82 game campaign drags on. simply put, the kid is built like, well, a kid. he's a package of arms and legs. putting him back in junior for a year allows him to build his body which gives him a better chance to produce over an ENTIRE nhl season, not just in training camp.

islandermaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 07:28 PM
OlTimeHockey

How about - we don't trust those who make decisions on Long Island's hockey team. They have a history of screwing things up. We wanna be kinda, you know, sure?

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 09:55 PM
mitchy22

Just to clarify, under the previous CBA you needed to play 10 NHL games for the ELC contract to not slide.

We also have no idea what the transition to the new CBA will have to say about any of this. We don't know what the rules will be with free agency (RFA or UFA types of varying types) or the transition for ELCs, or the CHL-NHL/AHL rules, or anything else.

I'd argue that Strome playing in the AHL would be better for his development at this time than another year in the OHL. It'll also be better for our other prospect at Bridgeport to have a talented player there.

As I mentioned earlier, this would only be if new rules allowed it to be possible. Of course, the new rules might also change "10 NHL Games" to "10 Professional Games" and then we'd have to discuss the benefits of Strome playing in the AHL versus the benefits of having the extra ELC year left on the contract while he remains in the OHL.

As far as Nino making the NHL squad, I'll argue his skating and his stamina both needed work (along with needing extra teaching). He could have worked on all those things under less pressure, with more time on ice, and most likely better offensive linemates in the AHL if he was allowed to be there last season.

I'll argue that Strome would benefit from the increase in the strength of competition in the AHL, the extra year of conditioning, the learning of the system at a lesser level, and not being put under the immense pressure of being responsible for offensive production as part of next season's forward group of the NHL squad.

I'd rather see him in the OHL than our 2nd line center if those are our only choices. It's not like we're going to get to place him between two wingers that we have guaranteed 2nd line production out of. We also have to go up against some of the most formidable groups of centers in the league in our division. If Strome is going to be our 2nd line center, he needs as much strength as he can get before he steps foot in the NHL. If he ends up a winger, then we still a couple larger and tougher forwards to round out our top-6.

Mitch

mitchy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 10:19 PM
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchy22 View Post
Just to clarify, under the previous CBA you needed to play 10 NHL games for the ELC contract to not slide.

We also have no idea what the transition to the new CBA will have to say about any of this. We don't know what the rules will be with free agency (RFA or UFA types of varying types) or the transition for ELCs, or the CHL-NHL/AHL rules, or anything else.

I'd argue that Strome playing in the AHL would be better for his development at this time than another year in the OHL. It'll also be better for our other prospect at Bridgeport to have a talented player there.

As I mentioned earlier, this would only be if new rules allowed it to be possible. Of course, the new rules might also change "10 NHL Games" to "10 Professional Games" and then we'd have to discuss the benefits of Strome playing in the AHL versus the benefits of having the extra ELC year left on the contract while he remains in the OHL.
As far as Nino making the NHL squad, I'll argue his skating and his stamina both needed work (along with needing extra teaching). He could have worked on all those things under less pressure, with more time on ice, and most likely better offensive linemates in the AHL if he was allowed to be there last season.

I'll argue that Strome would benefit from the increase in the strength of competition in the AHL, the extra year of conditioning, the learning of the system at a lesser level, and not being put under the immense pressure of being responsible for offensive production as part of next season's forward group of the NHL squad.

I'd rather see him in the OHL than our 2nd line center if those are our only choices. It's not like we're going to get to place him between two wingers that we have guaranteed 2nd line production out of. We also have to go up against some of the most formidable groups of centers in the league in our division. If Strome is going to be our 2nd line center, he needs as much strength as he can get before he steps foot in the NHL. If he ends up a winger, then we still a couple larger and tougher forwards to round out our top-6.

Mitch
It would be phenomenal if the new CBA allowed 19 year olds to play in the AHL even at the cost of burning a year off the ELC. Is that what you are saying?

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 02:35 AM
mitchy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
It would be phenomenal if the new CBA allowed 19 year olds to play in the AHL even at the cost of burning a year off the ELC. Is that what you are saying?
Yup, the hypothetical I mentioned earlier was if they change the rules. The CHL-NHL need a new transfer agreement. I have no idea whether anything will change, but I really don't see how the current arrangement benefits NHL teams. Like everything else, we'll just have to wait and see.

Mitch

Old
08-17-2012, 06:56 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Yup, the hypothetical I mentioned earlier was if they change the rules. The CHL-NHL need a new transfer agreement. I have no idea whether anything will change, but I really don't see how the current arrangement benefits NHL teams. Like everything else, we'll just have to wait and see.

Mitch
Suppose they do fix that issue. What would the AHL do for Strome? (I absolutely see what it would have done for Nino). If you want him building up his body, do you want him playing 75 games against professionals or fewer, less physical games, against juniors?

Cheers,

Dan-o

P.S. I don't see any reason why Strome wouldn't get some early-season NHL time. By all accounts he's worked hard, and that's the standard the Isles have set for that little reward. If he is productive during that stretch, which I doubt, then he could stick.

P.P.S. The only player comparable to Strome in the top-10 of his draft year is Huberdeau. Everyone else in the top-10 was and is way ahead of Stome and Huberdeau in physical development. Both were late-born late-risers, too. There are questions about how physically ready Huberdeau is for the NHL as well.

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 07:16 AM
JKP

Quote:

Mitch
It's not supposed to benefit the NHL, it's supposed to benefit the CHL. The league the NHL uses for virtually free to develop over half its talent. The rule is designed this way to protect the CHL so only the exceptional players go to the NHL and the stars stay in the CHL. It doesn't need fixing.

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 08:48 AM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:
Suppose they do fix that issue. What would the AHL do for Strome? (I absolutely see what it would have done for Nino). If you want him building up his body, do you want him playing 75 games against professionals or fewer, less physical games, against juniors?

Cheers,

Dan-o

P.S. I don't see any reason why Strome wouldn't get some early-season NHL time. By all accounts he's worked hard, and that's the standard the Isles have set for that little reward. If he is productive during that stretch, which I doubt, then he could stick.

P.P.S. The only player comparable to Strome in the top-10 of his draft year is Huberdeau. Everyone else in the top-10 was and is way ahead of Stome and Huberdeau in physical development. Both were late-born late-risers, too. There are questions about how physically ready Huberdeau is for the NHL as well.
I agree with all this.

But I think Niederreiter would have benefited from another year in Junior. If nine NHL games weren't enough to see how overmatched he was, then people just weren't watching. I'm still puzzled by the prior choice between NHL and CHL, based on his play. Having that much NHL hockey with so little success has to get to a person, regardless of how mentally tough the 19 year old kid is.

Great point about Huberdeau and Strome, similar circumstances. I also thought Ryan Johansen looked very outmatched in the NHL. Couturier looked amazing for his age.

Comparisons are fine, to a point, but these are truly unique cases for each player & team circumstance.

In Strome's case, I think the NYI NEED him to take that #2C role, so Strome should be given every chance to do so. If he earns it in camp, I'll fully support it. If he shows competence in games 1-9, I fully support him staying in the NHL.

But if he doesn't EARN it, the way Moulson "earned" his job, the way Skinner did, Nugent-Hopkins, Jake Gardiner - I really hope he plays in junior. I'm not convinced the AHL is best for most, if not all, 19 year olds.

I think many of us underestimate the value of that last year of junior. Putting a player in a role where they can exhibit leadership, team success, to be the "go-to" guy is extremely valuable for development. In most cases, a player who turns pro at 18 never gets a chance to do that, since most 19-20yr old players in the CHL are often way ahead of a player who's a year or two younger.

Even Tavares and Stamkos struggled (relatively) as 17 year olds playing in the WJC.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 09:22 AM
bluechipbonzo

There's nothing offensively Strome will be able to offer that Cizikas won't be able to match.

Unfortunately for Ryan, Casey has stronger skating, face-off ability, and defensive awareness.

It's back to the O he goes.

bluechipbonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 09:24 AM
crashthenet

With the CBA talks going the way they are this may all be moot.

crashthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 09:27 AM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechipbonzo View Post
There's nothing offensively Strome will be able to offer that Cizikas won't be able to match.

Unfortunately for Ryan, Casey has stronger skating, face-off ability, and defensive awareness.

It's back to the O he goes.
Seriously?

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 09:31 AM
bluechipbonzo

Quote:
Seriously?
Career?

No, of course not.

In 2012?

Absolutely.

Old
08-17-2012, 09:44 AM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
Career?

No, of course not.

In 2012?

Absolutely.
I couldn't disagree with you more. You are either way too low on Strome or way too high on Cizikas.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 10:26 AM
KrisBeKreame

Quote:

Cheers,

Dan-o

Strome played 79 games last year not including the WJC. He would have played 3 more had he been sent down right away after camp instead of the "Extended Camp" He got5 to participate in. Strome is spending his offseason stregthening if you believe wat he is contstantly posting on twitter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
I agree with all this.

But I think Niederreiter would have benefited from another year in Junior. If nine NHL games weren't enough to see how overmatched he was, then people just weren't watching. I'm still puzzled by the prior choice between NHL and CHL, based on his play. Having that much NHL hockey with so little success has to get to a person, regardless of how mentally tough the 19 year old kid is.
I think we all seem to forget to quickly the begining of last season. Nino Started the season after impressing at camp on the Injured Reserve. A severe groin strain that kept him out for several weeks. (Remember that with the contracts to Staios and Pandolfo we were comfortably over the Cap Floor) We all got super excited at the prospect that Nino was going to spend two weeks in the AHL on a conditioning stint. He progressed slowly in bridgeport but played quite well towards the end finishing with 3g and an assist in 6 games. When he was brought up he played well scoring a goal in his first week back, finishing his checks, skating well and getting into the play. Then came the cheapshot to the head from fistric in Dallas. It went down hill from there. I blame the entire coaching staff for not doing more to help him get his head back in the game. Instead they dumped him on the fourth line and essentually told him to do it himsef.

By that time he had already eclipsed his 9 games. The question after he recovered was do they Send him down, a year on his contract wasted or keep him up hopeing he would take off again and learn. Yes in hindsight he strugle and MIGHT have been better off if he was sent down but at the time they had to make a choice.

KrisBeKreame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 10:40 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKP View Post
It's not supposed to benefit the NHL, it's supposed to benefit the CHL. The league the NHL uses for virtually free to develop over half its talent. The rule is designed this way to protect the CHL so only the exceptional players go to the NHL and the stars stay in the CHL. It doesn't need fixing.
THIS.

Once in a while, you have to think about the fans in small frozen cities who live for their teams.....and watch the young stars compete. We'll get Strome and everyone who makes it, but until then, it's just not right to poach what is a very important commodity to many small cities.

Old
08-17-2012, 10:51 AM
bluechipbonzo

Quote:
I couldn't disagree with you more. You are either way too low on Strome or way too high on Cizikas.
Kindly elaborate- I don't see Strome even having the same kind of AHL season that Cizikas just had...think about the seasoning Casey has had- that extra year of development is huge at this point.

I think you are severely underestimating CC's abilities, and perhaps looking at RS's overtime goal a little too closely here.

Old
08-17-2012, 11:25 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Kindly elaborate- I don't see Strome even having the same kind of AHL season that Cizikas just had...think about the seasoning Casey has had- that extra year of development is huge at this point.

I think you are severely underestimating CC's abilities, and perhaps looking at RS's overtime goal a little too closely here.
or looking at stats and not game. I have NOT seen either play much but know Cizikas is a better all around guy - but hear Strome is elevating his game in many areas. Let's bring 'em both up and ruin them!

Patience. I'd love to see Strome grow some size and skill this year and revisit next camp. He's gonna be special - unless we rush him.

Old
08-17-2012, 11:42 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
or looking at stats and not game. I have NOT seen either play much but know Cizikas is a better all around guy - but hear Strome is elevating his game in many areas. Let's bring 'em both up and ruin them!

Patience. I'd love to see Strome grow some size and skill this year and revisit next camp. He's gonna be special - unless we rush him.
Patience is probably the most reviled word in the Isles fan base now, but I think it's key with Strome. If he's ready and can handle it, then I'd have no problem having him in the NHL. Otherwise, let the kid mature and have a big year in Junior. He's a lock for the WJC and he'll probably be the #1C for Canada. Niagara looks to be rebuilding so he'll most likely be traded to a Memorial Cup contending team some time during the season.

He's a kid, let him become a man before he's thrown into the fire.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 04:25 AM
mitchy22

Obviously, or it should have been obvious, I understand the rules are to protect the CHL. However, the NHL holds all of the leverage if they feel that they want to add some kind of exceptional 19 year old rule, or anything like that.

If a player has truly grown out of the CHL, but isn't quite ready to face the pressure or the top-end physicality of the NHL (possibly because of the makeup of his team), why in the world are some of you not viewing the AHL as a halfway point? Yes, there are more than a handful of physically developed players there. Except the game is not as fast, the game is not as filled with large bodies, the goalies are not as good overall, and there is simply more time and space on the ice. Our AHL team will employ the same exact system as the NHL club. Our AHL team will have players who can play together that will eventually make the NHL squad together. Our AHL team is much easier to monitor. Our AHL team offers emergency callups to the NHL club, or even callups midseason after a player has potentially shown they more that they have what it takes.

You could even consider it extended training camp with a ton of scrimmages. Training camp can place the players against a higher degree of competition at times and larger players than they'll see in the CHL. It is a stepping stone.

Basically, I'd rather not see Strome make the NHL squad because he doesn't back down and we don't have the forward group to make up for another forward who can't play a physical game. (Not that there aren't a few choices, but there are only a very few choices.) Quite frankly, if he's close but not quite there, the AHL should be the best option. If it's available, I think you go with it (especially considering our wonderful injury history.)

I don't feel like adding more reasons right now, but maybe I'll do that later.

Mitch

Old
08-18-2012, 07:19 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Obviously, or it should have been obvious, I understand the rules are to protect the CHL. However, the NHL holds all of the leverage if they feel that they want to add some kind of exceptional 19 year old rule, or anything like that.

If a player has truly grown out of the CHL, but isn't quite ready to face the pressure or the top-end physicality of the NHL (possibly because of the makeup of his team), why in the world are some of you not viewing the AHL as a halfway point? Yes, there are more than a handful of physically developed players there. Except the game is not as fast, the game is not as filled with large bodies, the goalies are not as good overall, and there is simply more time and space on the ice. Our AHL team will employ the same exact system as the NHL club. Our AHL team will have players who can play together that will eventually make the NHL squad together. Our AHL team is much easier to monitor. Our AHL team offers emergency callups to the NHL club, or even callups midseason after a player has potentially shown they more that they have what it takes.

You could even consider it extended training camp with a ton of scrimmages. Training camp can place the players against a higher degree of competition at times and larger players than they'll see in the CHL. It is a stepping stone.

Basically, I'd rather not see Strome make the NHL squad because he doesn't back down and we don't have the forward group to make up for another forward who can't play a physical game. (Not that there aren't a few choices, but there are only a very few choices.) Quite frankly, if he's close but not quite there, the AHL should be the best option. If it's available, I think you go with it (especially considering our wonderful injury history.)

I don't feel like adding more reasons right now, but maybe I'll do that later.

Mitch
The CHL needs 19 year old stars more than the AHL needs 19 year old first year pros. The CHL is the number 1 junior development league in the world, if you start chipping away at the level of competition in junior, it could have a negative impact on the league as a whole. In order for young players to develop they need to play against the best possible competition, i.e. older players. Example, 15 year old hot shot rookie Connor McDavid will be playing his first year in the OHL, in playing the Niagra Ice Dogs and Ryan Strome, McDavid develops into the best possible junior player he can be. No 19 year old not yet ready for the prime time big lights of the NHL rink was ever negatively impacted by playing an extra year in junior. The model is not broken, thus no need to fix it. I understand fans want to see their prospects move up the food chain as fast as possible, but lets think big picture here. The NHL needs the CHL.

Mr Writer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 07:37 AM
mitchy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
The CHL needs 19 year old stars more than the AHL needs 19 year old first year pros. The CHL is the number 1 junior development league in the world, if you start chipping away at the level of competition in junior, it could have a negative impact on the league as a whole. In order for young players to develop they need to play against the best possible competition, i.e. older players. Example, 15 year old hot shot rookie Connor McDavid will be playing his first year in the OHL, in playing the Niagra Ice Dogs and Ryan Strome, McDavid develops into the best possible junior player he can be. No 19 year old not yet ready for the prime time big lights of the NHL rink was ever negatively impacted by playing an extra year in junior. The model is not broken, thus no need to fix it. I understand fans want to see their prospects move up the food chain as fast as possible, but lets think big picture here. The NHL needs the CHL.
It's a valid point, but let's not assume that I'm ignoring the big picture.

Would a 19 year old exceptional status rule, say one per NHL team, leech all of the talent from the CHL? (I doubt anyone is arguing how badly Juniors are taking a hit because of a few exceptional 15 year olds getting into the CHL so far.)

Would the 19 year olds who were capable enough not continue to develop in the AHL? Would the benefit of having a few select players at 19 playing in the AHL not counteract (to some degree) the detriment of not having those few select players competing in the CHL? Perhaps a few more exceptional 15 year olds make it in instead? Maybe every team gets a 15 year old and one less overager?

Just some food for thought from the other side. It's not like I put forth my entire proposal on the matter. I think a balance could be struck that doesn't harm the CHL too badly while benefiting a handful of players and their NHL teams.

Mitch

Old
08-18-2012, 07:37 AM
Top Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
We can only hope that this is indeed the case. I remember when we first drafted him, I initially thought of a grittier and healthier version of Ales Hemsky. This is also when I thought he should be a RW. I've changed my mind since then as I think he and Johnny could form a very potent and dynamic 1-2 combo down the middle.

I'm having a hard time pinpointing who I'd compare Strome to now though. I can see the Giroux comparison through my rose colored glasses.
Strome reminds me of Oates. Won't score a lot because
He is always looking to pass

Watch him with the puck, he is never looking at the net
He's looking to pass

Top Corner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 07:48 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
It's a valid point, but let's not assume that I'm ignoring the big picture.

Would a 19 year old exceptional status rule, say one per NHL team, leech all of the talent from the CHL? (I doubt anyone is arguing how badly Juniors are taking a hit because of a few exceptional 15 year olds getting into the CHL so far.)

Would the 19 year olds who were capable enough not continue to develop in the AHL? Would the benefit of having a few select players at 19 playing in the AHL not counteract (to some degree) the detriment of not having those few select players competing in the CHL? Perhaps a few more exceptional 15 year olds make it in instead? Maybe every team gets a 15 year old and one less overager?

Just some food for thought from the other side. It's not like I put forth my entire proposal on the matter. I think a balance could be struck that doesn't harm the CHL too badly while benefiting a handful of players and their NHL teams.

Mitch
An exceptional player rule is a valid point. I wouldn't argue against one since I support the same exceptional status rule that allows for 15 year old players to play in the OHL. Can you trust the dumb dumb owners of the NHL and their GMs to agree to it, so that it is administered correctly? What you would see is almost every team wanting to name their top prospect CHLer and exception. How would you define exceptional? I do not define as Ryan Strome exceptional too good for the OHL. He's a good prospect and will be a fine pro... exceptional he is not...

Mr Writer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 08:33 AM
mitchy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
An exceptional player rule is a valid point. I wouldn't argue against one since I support the same exceptional status rule that allows for 15 year old players to play in the OHL. Can you trust the dumb dumb owners of the NHL and their GMs to agree to it, so that it is administered correctly? What you would see is almost every team wanting to name their top prospect CHLer and exception. How would you define exceptional? I do not define as Ryan Strome exceptional too good for the OHL. He's a good prospect and will be a fine pro... exceptional he is not...
I can trust the CHL and NHL agreeing on something that makes sense for both of them. That might simply be the status quo. If not, and the NHL wants to get a handful (or more) of 19 year olds into the AHL, then I'd trust the CHL to represent their interests wisely for their end of the deal.

The exceptional status in this case might have to do with the needs of the NHL team and not simply the player's status among his peers. It may be AHL/NHL-centric as opposed to focusing on the CHL's end. Between them, they could agree on different requirements, put it up to a vote of some kind for each petitioner, or simply set a limit to how many. (Instead of one 19-year-old player/team/year, they could even have the limit be one 19-year-old player/team/3 years or some other variation.)

Other than winning a championship, does Strome really have that much left to prove in the OHL?

Strome was 3rd in the OHL in scoring as a 17 year old (2 points behind the leaders who were both much older than him; one player was over one year older and the other was over 3 years older.) The next season (2011-12) he stayed with the Islanders for a bit without playing, then they sent him back to his OHL squad and wished him to focus on his goalscoring.

While Strome's point totals were reduced (10 point drop in pace), Strome increased his goalscoring output from 0.508 to 0.652 goals/game and had a rather successful playoff run (finishing 5th in OHL playoff scoring. Again, the players that outscored Strome were 5 months older or more. Not quite as important, but worth noting to some degree.)

So other than winning a championship and aiming for the scoring title (or trying further to increase his ability to score goals), does Strome really have much still to prove at this level?

Mitch

P.S. Stepping away from HF for the day. If required, I'll respond later at night or tomorrow sometime. Good back and forth.

Last edited by mitchy22: 08-18-2012 at 08:47 AM.