HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stroman Suspended 50 Games for PED's, Bautista out for year.

Closed Thread

Old
08-17-2012, 03:47 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

vCash: 500
Stroman Suspended 50 Games for PED's, Bautista out for year.

Continue here.

Last edited by Woodman19: 08-28-2012 at 04:40 PM.
Old
08-17-2012, 03:50 PM
Larcos_Unal

no one cares

Old
08-17-2012, 05:17 PM
Bravid Nonahan
carlylol = القسوة

Send a message via AIM to Bravid Nonahan
81-81

Old
08-17-2012, 05:49 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Done stickies n closed previous

08-17-2012, 06:11 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larcos_Unal View Post
no one cares
actually many people do. But thanks for the wonderful insight

Old
08-18-2012, 12:33 AM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Morrow expected to start in the series against the O's. My guess is that Laffey comes out of the rotation although I think he may be in line for one more start. It'll be close but I think he's who their targeting to remove from the rotation.

I just took another look at the schedule. If they move up the rotation on the off day they may be able to avoid using Laffey again but he's in line to pitch against the Tigers so I'm not sure if they'll be able to do it.

Old
08-18-2012, 03:29 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

I'll prolly watch the Morrow start. I have been score board watchin but heres hoping things are good with him.

Old
08-18-2012, 07:07 AM
aingefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
Morrow expected to start in the series against the O's. My guess is that Laffey comes out of the rotation although I think he may be in line for one more start. It'll be close but I think he's who their targeting to remove from the rotation.

I just took another look at the schedule. If they move up the rotation on the off day they may be able to avoid using Laffey again but he's in line to pitch against the Tigers so I'm not sure if they'll be able to do it.
I think the Jays maintain Laffey's rights this off-season, no?

In farm news from last night....

Struggling hitter/fallen prospect updates:
Jacob Anderson, 2-3, 2 2B's. Kellen Sweeney, 1-4, 2B, BB - avg. .215...which doesn't seem great, but he's been hot in August - maybe primed for a big playoff. Gustavo Pierre, 3-4, HR - season avg. at .259. Not sure if his error totals are higher than his OPS though.

Other hitter updates:
1B Art Charles, VAN, 3-4, BB, HR, OPS .965 for the season at two levels. 1B KC Hobson, LAN, 3-4, 2 2B's OPS .795, with 39 2b's for the season. Kenny Wilson OPS .723 at two levels, with 49 SB's.

Pitching updates:
Justin Nicolino, 5ip, 3bb+h, 1er, 6k.
Great total game in New Hampshire: Ryan Tepera with 1er over 7ip with 7b+h, 6k. Stroman and Stilson with scoreless ip, Stilson with the save.

Old
08-18-2012, 07:43 AM
D3ADLY

At this point of the season I'm just interested to see how our prospects pan out rest of the way. I also am interested in seeing AA bring in 2 starters 1 two bagger and a Left fielder in the off season. If everyone stays healthy and 4 players are brought in next season could get really streaky for Jays.

Old
08-18-2012, 09:52 AM
Ohio Jones
Game on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3ADLY View Post
At this point of the season I'm just interested to see how our prospects pan out rest of the way. I also am interested in seeing AA bring in 2 starters 1 two bagger and a Left fielder in the off season. If everyone stays healthy and 4 players are brought in next season could get really streaky for Jays.
I'd actually like to talk about this bit in a little more depth. Much as I'd like to see an upgrade over Johnson, I'm not sure there's anyone available on the market. 2B is such a shallow position overall in the league. It's like the leftovers position - as if the guys could hit better they'd be be third basemen, if they had better defence they'd be shortstops. I'm sure that's an oversimplification, that's just how it feels: like you're sort of looking for the best of the leftovers... which makes for a rather underwhelming crop.

Can anybody think of realistic targets that might be available in FA or trade? (For trade let's assume that our big play will be for a pitcher, so this would have to be a smaller deal).

The other option is to address the other middle infield position... Upgrade Escobar, then we could get away with Johnson/Hecht playin 2B. Someone brought up the Rangers as a possible trade target this offseason with that in mind... Any other options worth exploring out there?

I really just think I'd like a couple of days of not talking about pitchers.

Old
08-18-2012, 10:13 AM
Nasty Nazem
Come at me Crow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Jones View Post
I'd actually like to talk about this bit in a little more depth. Much as I'd like to see an upgrade over Johnson, I'm not sure there's anyone available on the market. 2B is such a shallow position overall in the league. It's like the leftovers position - as if the guys could hit better they'd be be third basemen, if they had better defence they'd be shortstops. I'm sure that's an oversimplification, that's just how it feels: like you're sort of looking for the best of the leftovers... which makes for a rather underwhelming crop.

Can anybody think of realistic targets that might be available in FA or trade? (For trade let's assume that our big play will be for a pitcher, so this would have to be a smaller deal).

The other option is to address the other middle infield position... Upgrade Escobar, then we could get away with Johnson/Hecht playin 2B. Someone brought up the Rangers as a possible trade target this offseason with that in mind... Any other options worth exploring out there?

I really just think I'd like a couple of days of not talking about pitchers.
Yeah, teams don't really try to develop a guy as a 2nd baseman. Most guys are shortstops but if they can't play that position, they move over to 2nd base and SS isn't exactly a position that's littered with good hitting SS either. It's tough to find a good hitting SS or 2nd base and while Yunel has had a really tough year offensively, I think he'll bounce back. He was pretty good last year so I'm not sure if we NEED to upgrade that position.

Rangers have a great SS in Andrus and most likely an even better one in Profar so they may trade him but I don't think that will happen yet and Andrus would need to bring back a big return so I'm not sure what the Jays could offer.

I would just re-sign KJ. He hasn't been all that good but I think playing injured has hurt him a lot too and I doubt there is a better upgrade out there. Hech isn't ready either.

Old
08-18-2012, 10:26 AM
Acekicker123

The 2B market is rather unfortunate offensively.

Kelly Johnson's .696 OPS ranks 15th overall in the MLB right now, in other words, perfectly average.

Here are the top 14 second basemen by OPS:

Robinson Cano, Aaron Hill (Ouch), Neil Walker, Jose Altuve, Brandon Phillips, Dustin Pedroia, Ian Kinsler. Omar Infante, Daniel Murphy, Danny Espinosa, Dan Uggla, Rickie Weeks, Howie Kendrick, Jason Kipnis

From that group, let's see who might actually be moveable considering either (a) team status or (b) blocking a prospect.

Cano, Hill are untouchable.

Walker is likely untouchable, though one can note that they're running Barmes' .559 OPS out there at SS every night. I wonder if a Johnson/Escobar combo would be more interesting for Pittsburgh than a Barmes/Walker combo. Add in that Walker is arb eligible and due for a significant raise as well as the fact that both teams have already scouted each other for the Snider/Lincoln trade and probably have a few names in mind from either system that they like.

Altuve is untouchable.

Phillips could be a available given that top prospect Billy Hamilton figures to a be a 2B and is already at AA. Given their status as a top flight team they're probably looking for immediate MLB talent at another position. Cozart and Stubbs are meh, so maybe they'd look at an outfielder (Sierra? Gose?) or a shortstop (Hech? Escobar?).

Pedroia is untouchable.

Kinsler surprisingly could be available if the Rangers want to open a spot for all-world prospect Jurickson Profar in the middle infield. Perhaps they let Hamilton go and look for an outfield replacement? Kinsler, 30, makes $15 million per season through 2017. Maybe something involving Colby Rasmus?

Infante - probably untouchable considering they've been trying all year for a 2B.

Murphy - I suppose he could be available, but he's young and controllable with no immediate replacement on the horizon for the Mets. Maybe Hech? If they want to go really young.

Espinosa - Don't think he's an upgrade.

Weeks - Don't think he's an upgrade.

Kendrick - Interesting player. Coming off a so-so season. Makes $29 million over the next 3 seasons. Could be a buy low candidate, especially if Angels would like to clear some dough to re-sign Greinke. Johnson makes $6.5 million so it wouldn't be much of a jump in payroll for the Blue Jays. However, they did trade top MIF prospect Seguera in the Greinke deal, so they'd need a replacement back. If they Jays really want to win now, and think Kendrick could give them his typically 2.5 - 3.0 WAR season at 2B, maybe flipping Hech (+) and taking on some salary would be an interesting scenario.

Kipnis - probably untouchable.

Old
08-18-2012, 10:48 AM
Bravid Nonahan
carlylol = القسوة

Send a message via AIM to Bravid Nonahan
Johnson for Hill was a brutal trade.

Old
08-18-2012, 11:04 AM
Nasty Nazem
Come at me Crow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post
Not at the time. Hill was beyond awful and had nearly 2 seasons of doing absolutely nothing.

Old
08-18-2012, 11:08 AM
Swervin81
Magic Mitch™

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post
There's no way Hill improves here with Murphy as the hitting coach.

Old
08-18-2012, 11:33 AM
SportsProsperity

Any chance the jays try escobar at 2B next season? An infield of lawrie-hech-escobar would be awesome defensively

Old
08-18-2012, 11:52 AM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Anyone else find it annoying they keep saying we wanted Happ in a Halladay deal? I recall it was just pure speculation on Philadelphia media to want to put Happ in the deal instead of Drabek to keep their top prospect and it has since turned into a known fact that we asked for him.

Old
08-18-2012, 11:58 AM
Nasty Nazem
Come at me Crow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
Anyone else find it annoying they keep saying we wanted Happ in a Halladay deal? I recall it was just pure speculation on Philadelphia media to want to put Happ in the deal instead of Drabek to keep their top prospect and it has since turned into a known fact that we asked for him.
I think JP did want him but wanted the package to be Drabek/Brown/Happ. Drabek and Brown would be the main pieces with a ton of upside and Happ was that major league pitcher that could help us right now.

I'm not sure if AA wanted him... I don't think he did. Drabek and D'Arnaud seemed to be his main target along with Gose who he couldn't pry away at the time.

But there were a lot of rumors flying around at the time and I doubt many were true.

Old
08-18-2012, 12:10 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
Hey I've brought that up before. Not to the point of annoyance though

Old
08-18-2012, 12:11 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by aingefan View Post
I think the Jays maintain Laffey's rights this off-season, no?

In farm news from last night....

Struggling hitter/fallen prospect updates:
Jacob Anderson, 2-3, 2 2B's. Kellen Sweeney, 1-4, 2B, BB - avg. .215...which doesn't seem great, but he's been hot in August - maybe primed for a big playoff. Gustavo Pierre, 3-4, HR - season avg. at .259. Not sure if his error totals are higher than his OPS though.

Other hitter updates:
1B Art Charles, VAN, 3-4, BB, HR, OPS .965 for the season at two levels. 1B KC Hobson, LAN, 3-4, 2 2B's OPS .795, with 39 2b's for the season. Kenny Wilson OPS .723 at two levels, with 49 SB's.

Pitching updates:
Justin Nicolino, 5ip, 3bb+h, 1er, 6k.
Great total game in New Hampshire: Ryan Tepera with 1er over 7ip with 7b+h, 6k. Stroman and Stilson with scoreless ip, Stilson with the save.
Yeah I think the jays hold his rights next season. I just meant we need to remove someone from the rotation to make a spot for Morrow and my assumption would be Laffey

Old
08-18-2012, 04:06 PM
weems

Not sure if this has been mentioned but 1st round pick DJ Davis got promoted to Bluefield.

Went 2 for 4 with a SB in his first game.

Old
08-18-2012, 05:26 PM
Kamal007
A$VP

Travis Snider rocking a 333 BA and a 380 OBP with the pirates. Did AA dun goof? Anyone catch any pirate games?

Old
08-18-2012, 05:27 PM
canucksfan

http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/3qjhvl/

Old
08-18-2012, 05:43 PM
Suntouchable13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamal007 View Post
Travis Snider rocking a 333 BA and a 380 OBP with the pirates. Did AA dun goof? Anyone catch any pirate games?
I think he did. Who does he expect to play LF next season? I hope that it won't be Davis. How does AA plan to address the LF situation next season? Does he go with either Sierra or Gose? Or he goes out and gets one?

Old
08-18-2012, 06:34 PM
trellaine201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
I think he did. Who does he expect to play LF next season? I hope that it won't be Davis. How does AA plan to address the LF situation next season? Does he go with either Sierra or Gose? Or he goes out and gets one?
whose pitching? whose number 2.3.4 and 5?

Closed Thread