HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lighthouse: Nino wasn't alone

Old
08-16-2012, 09:52 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
irrelevant. The Wings by policy, since Jimmy D ran the show, do NOT touch kids until they are 100% ready. We're going back before the Chaissons days. The foundation of their team, LIKE OURS WAS AND IS ALLEGEDLY NOW, is the best scouting and development of prospects to ensure they can continue winning. We had money back when Rick was rushed. We never upgraded our scouting or GM role, though. We never made it our defined purpose to make development our priority. We rushed kids from college to our AHL team and up to the pros a few times since Smith made a stink. Fans still make a stink about players staying in Europe out of our reach. It's not he team alone but the fanbase that want to looksie. Wang, I'm sure, likes cheap help.

But read up on Ilitch, his philosophy on winning and all the organization's, in effect, BY-LAWS set since he got sick of seeing his team draw only 3,000 fans a game. If I won powerball and had $200M to buy the team and just rid NY of Wanger, THIS is the textbook approach I would emulate.
What an owner decides is his payroll, what players he spends his $ on is not irrelevant.

If I'm an owner with a $70m payroll and you are an owner with a $30m payroll, which of us is likely to have higher priced vets/stars on our team, while the other rushes cheaper youngsters onto the roster? Which of us is more likely to leave our prospects in college/juniors/Europe?

And the isles drafted DiPietro, about 2 months after Wang bought the team. 4 months after that they rushed him into the NHL. Wang's wallet has probably never been as open.

This spring the Red Wings 2010 first trounder,Riley Sheahan, left college a yr early.
According to the article below, the Red Wings have done this several times with top prospects. We both know if it was an Isles practice, the isles would be blasted for it.

http://www.redwingscentral.com/2012/...nishing-touch/
The Red Wings often pull their top prospects out of college after three seasons, with Gustav Nyquist, Justin Abdelkader and Jimmy Howard at the top of the list. It’s not clear what their plans are for Sheahan, but it’s hard to imagine another year in college hurting him, especially if he finally starts dominating on a game-in, game-out basis.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 01:22 PM
Glory Days

I would be surprised to see Sheahan make the Red Wings roster if he isn't ready. My point was exactly about being ready to play in the NHL. Jeff Jackson described Sheahan as having good speed, good instincts, responsible defensively, physically ready and a leader. How many of those things applied to Nino last year. I don't think it is an age thing but more about being ready. And Nino clearly wasn't ready. Let's hope Isles learned their lesson and don't rush anyone this year.

Glory Days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 04:00 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory Days View Post
I would be surprised to see Sheahan make the Red Wings roster if he isn't ready. My point was exactly about being ready to play in the NHL. Jeff Jackson described Sheahan as having good speed, good instincts, responsible defensively, physically ready and a leader. How many of those things applied to Nino last year. I don't think it is an age thing but more about being ready. And Nino clearly wasn't ready. Let's hope Isles learned their lesson and don't rush anyone this year.
I'll be the first to agree, that the isles screwed the pooch by seeing Nino struggle and not demoting him.

I'm pointing out my opinion that the isles rushing kids is budget related.

Btw, Brock Nelson's North Dakota head coach made similar comments about Nelson this season.
The isles signed him after his 2nd college season and there have been posts about the isles rushing him.

Also, I posted a link to a Detroit article above, where the writer points out the Wings have taken top NCAA prospects out after their 3rd season, several times.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 08:01 AM
Glory Days

I see your point, but I don't think it it completely budget related. I think the Isles prefer giving young players, especially forwards, a roster spot over veteran players. I think it is their delusional way of justifying the rebuild. The more young players on the roster than obviously more progress for the rebuild.

Glory Days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 11:06 AM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

I like that the other players that struggled are on teams that have historically mismanaged their prospects. Florida? Columbus? Shocking.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote