HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

David Desharnais next contract

Old
08-18-2012, 12:21 PM
Zathronas

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebinne4pres View Post
Road games.....not the same when you're coach have the last change-up!

DD was +17 at home
But we was -7 on the road

At the same time

Pleky was -15 at home
And +0 on the road

How come Plekanec was suddenly the best player on the team on the road ???
(30 points on the road)

Mayby that line was pure gold at home.....but on the road it's not the same.

Even Pacioretty was -12 on the road.
Hmmm... let's see, the second year for Plekanec was 2006-2007

at home

12 goal 15 assist 27 points +11

on the road

8 goal 12 assist 20 points -1

Now it's true that Deharnais played softer minutes the Pleks last year.

And I say SO WHAT? if this is what is needed to get a whole line of 60+ points no problem

as for Pleks a better defensive and tougher 3rd line should help soften his minutes and give him more offensive opportunities.

Can Deharnais play against harder opposition? maybe. If he can and we trade him because of we have bigger centermen we might regret it. His past tell us he has the potential for it. I say sign him for a 5-6 year contract now and if it doesn't pan out trade him. I think if Patch deserved a contract extension then DD does too.

Zathronas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 12:39 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
Well why put a soft/perimeter player like Cammalleri against tough competition? Oh right, we had terrible management.

I hope DD gets put against tougher competition this year so we can see what he can do.

But this one argument (unlike the ridiculous offensive zone starts argument) that actually holds weight. But then again, why would a rookie (close enough) ever be put against the toughest NHL competition, right?

How many rookies or young players are put against weak competition and don't hit 60 points in their first year?

I also hate how DD it's always offensive zone starts and easy competition but that's almost never brought up for Cole or Patches. Seems ridiculous, right?

I dont get how he has so many doubters still. He did for his whole career and he just keeps making them look stupid. You'd think people would learn sooner or later.
Well, how many rookies get to play with the two best wingers? I know Cole and MaxPac were not expected to be the best wingers, but they ended up being them.

People don't talk about MaxPac/Cole facing weaker opposition because the discussion is about DD.
But there are two options going into next year. Either we keep that line intact and make them face tougher opponents, see how they handle it, or break it up moving Cole next to Plek and make them along with Gionta, handle the tough minutes.

As for DD, I don't think we've seen the best of him yet. Not sure if it'll be next season, or in a couple seasons, but I expect him to be a strong top line center.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 12:50 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
People don't talk about MaxPac/Cole facing weaker opposition because the discussion is about DD.
But there are two options going into next year. Either we keep that line intact and make them face tougher opponents, see how they handle it, or break it up moving Cole next to Plek and make them along with Gionta, handle the tough minutes.
I'd like to see the line get tons of offensive zone starts, like the Sedins. That way, even if opposing coaches match up against them with top players, the MP/DD/EC line (do they have a nickname?) will still be starting at an advantage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
As for DD, I don't think we've seen the best of him yet. Not sure if it'll be next season, or in a couple seasons, but I expect him to be a strong top line center.
I wouldn't bet on that. He is going into his 26 year old season, I think he's pretty much in his prime.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 12:59 PM
Milhouse40

Don't think every year is the same as last one.

Who predicted last summer that our first line would be Cole - Desharnais - Pacioretty?

With Bergevin - Therrien.....what do you expect?
The nice, clean, speedy, defensive type of hockey we had for the past 3 years?

Resigning White, Emelin and Moen
Add Armstrong, Prust and Bouillon

It won't be clean clean.....
They gonna go after their guys hard and they will come for ours just as hard.

Not sure how a couple of players will react to that change. Desharnais is the first on my list.....Gionta, Kaberle and even Plekanec are also there.

If they come hard for Desharnais, might change a lot of things!

Milhouse40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 01:11 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathronas View Post
And I say SO WHAT? if this is what is needed to get a whole line of 60+ points no problem
The Habs boards:

Where 60 points from our 1st line center (20th in the league) is a great achievement worth restructuring the rest of the team around.

DAChampion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 02:22 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:
It's not about where you play, it's about against who you play.

At home, they choose the match-up (line) so they put that line against a weaker line.
On the road, they don't choose.....other coachs probably saw that MTL was a one line punch, so they put their best checking line aganst them.

You know the result.

How come 2 of your best players at home , were two of the worst on the road (just behind Gomez and Kaberle)?
not sure if you read the entire post before quoting ... i believe we are saying the exact same thing ...

my point is just that doing good at home isn't ''less important'' than doing good on the road. and there are easier buildings to defend than the Bell center, that's all. bolts and panthers being examples. no crowd, hot weather, beach ... hockey players are humans too.

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 02:25 PM
Zathronas

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
The Habs boards:

Where 60 points from our 1st line center (20th in the league) is a great achievement worth restructuring the rest of the team around.
Ahead of Toews, Getzlaf, Stastny, Henrique, Lecavalier, Skinner, Mike Richards, Mikko koivu, etc...

in his second full season no less

Clearly, he isn't worth 1st line status really.

What can I said, can't please everyone

Old
08-18-2012, 02:32 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Ahead of Toews, Getzlaf, Stastny, Henrique, Lecavalier, Skinner, Mike Richards, Mikko koivu, etc...

in his second full season no less

Clearly, he isn't worth 1st line status really.

What can I said, can't please everyone
Are you saying you wouldn't trade Desharnais for Toews, Getzlaf, Statsny, Richards, or Koivu in 1-for-1 swap?

Old
08-18-2012, 02:36 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
I'd like to see the line get tons of offensive zone starts, like the Sedins. That way, even if opposing coaches match up against them with top players, the MP/DD/EC line (do they have a nickname?) will still be starting at an advantage.
Well, we'll see how Therrien coaches the team. It'll be interesting to see how our group also adapt to a more aggressive system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
I wouldn't bet on that. He is going into his 26 year old season, I think he's pretty much in his prime.
Never doubt will power buddy. This guy has tons of it. There are late bloomers, and I think he will keep improving.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 02:39 PM
Zathronas

Quote:
Are you saying you wouldn't trade Desharnais for Toews, Getzlaf, Statsny, Richards, or Koivu in 1-for-1 swap?
Not the issue here, your saying he's not good enough.

I'm saying wait and see, he's always surprised on every level. He's always has detractors because of his size. Why not give him the chance?

We've let many good player go because of our impatience.Lets see where he goes with it.

As for your question, I would change him for Toews or Getzlaf the rest... not really

Old
08-18-2012, 02:44 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Not the issue here, your saying he's not good enough.

I'm saying wait and see, he's always surprised on every level. He's always has detractors because of his size. Why not give him the chance?

We've let many good player go because of our impatience.Lets see where he goes with it.

As for your question, I would change him for Toews or Getzlaf the rest... not really
FYI Mikko Koivu had 44 points in 55 games last year (a 66 point pace). He had 67, 71, and 62 points in the three previous seasons in 79, 80, and 71 games respectively. In addition to his superior offensive production, he also played 2 minutes a game on the PK.

You wouldn't take Mikko Koivu over David Desharnais?

Wow, Desharnais is massively overrated on this board, even more than I thought.

Old
08-18-2012, 02:48 PM
Zathronas

Quote:
FYI Mikko Koivu had 44 points in 55 games last year (a 66 point pace). He had 67, 71, and 62 points in the three previous seasons in 79, 80, and 71 games respectively. In addition to his superior offensive production, he also played 2 minutes a game on the PK.

You wouldn't take Mikko Koivu over David Desharnais?

Wow, Desharnais is massively overrated on this board, even more than I thought.
and at 25 he had 42 points. That's the point granted he played 54 games.

at 24 he has 52 point and at 26 he had 67

let's see what DD can do?

Old
08-18-2012, 02:52 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
and at 25 he had 42 points. That's the point
OK, David Desharnais >> Mikko Koivu

This reminds me of the old arguments of the Kostitsyn brothers versus the Sedin brothers, and the extent to which they were equal.

Old
08-18-2012, 03:04 PM
Zathronas

Quote:
OK, David Desharnais >> Mikko Koivu

This reminds me of the old arguments of the Kostitsyn brothers versus the Sedin brothers, and the extent to which they were equal.
Why do I have the feeling you're missing the point intentionally?

Ok, last post on this because clearly your mind is made up

Not a lot of centre get 60 points on his second full season. Yeah he's small (and it's my guess that's why you don't like him) but he has shown that he can get past that. Will he be an 80 - 100 point center? maybe

Shouldn't we give him a chance? definitely

he started the season on the third line for oct through the middle of december and still finished with 60 points ON HIS SECOND FULL SEASON!

Is it his wingman that propelled him. again maybe but I suspect they feed off each other.

As for my preference, you like Mikko Koivu better than Deharnais goooood for you! I like him too, he might even be better than Deharnais! But we have not seen if DD is at the top of his potential. Mikko, we know what his upside is.

Old
08-18-2012, 03:21 PM
Bieber fever

DD is a good player , but he was playing soft minutes with montreal's 2 best wingers.On the road he was heavly outplayed and was exposed as the midget he is .

therefore , 3,75$ milions/years.

Bieber fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 03:27 PM
Oleg Petrov

I think the player you have to look to for comparisons sake is Pierre Parenteau.

Took a long time to make the big leagues and put in two solid campaigns with a bad team before becoming a UFA.

Desharnais will have put in two solid seasons and will be one year away from UFA at the end of 2013.

With that being said Parenteau got $16/4 all UFA years. So Desharnais could get $12/4 at an average of $3million or maybe a one year deal at $2.5 million.

That's if he puts up simlar numbers and the Habs want to commit long term.

Oleg Petrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 03:04 AM
MauriceRichard
Rookie User

He should get 4m a year and stay with the habs the rest of your career !

btw am I the only dispointed in his nhl 13 overall ? .. 79

MauriceRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 04:46 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauriceRichard View Post
He should get 4m a year and stay with the habs the rest of your career !

btw am I the only dispointed in his nhl 13 overall ? .. 79
'tis ok. in nhl 12 i made him go to 87 overall and traded in a package for toews

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 06:52 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Hmmm... let's see, the second year for Plekanec was 2006-2007

at home

12 goal 15 assist 27 points +11

on the road

8 goal 12 assist 20 points -1

Now it's true that Deharnais played softer minutes the Pleks last year.

as for Pleks a better defensive and tougher 3rd line should help soften his minutes and give him more offensive opportunities.

Can Deharnais play against harder opposition? maybe. If he can and we trade him because of we have bigger centermen we might regret it. His past tell us he has the potential for it. I say sign him for a 5-6 year contract now and if it doesn't pan out trade him. I think if Patch deserved a contract extension then DD does too.
meaning DD would have to share some of his...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 06:58 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
and at 25 he had 42 points. That's the point granted he played 54 games.

at 24 he has 52 point and at 26 he had 67

let's see what DD can do?
there you go...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 09:21 AM
MXD

Regardless of all analysis/pseudo analysis...

If Desharnais posts a similar season, he'll cost around 4M, and even then, he'll be a bargain compared to Mikhail Grabovski.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 09:28 AM
Subban signed e5

Trade Desharnais for a big 2nd line center

Subban signed e5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 09:45 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Desharnais did not start his NHL career with Pacioretty and Cole. He produced with limited minutes and limited linemates.

If he hadn't been able to produce without the benefit of good linemates he never would have been given good linemates to begin with.

But DD is a french speaking local and a small center. Perfect combo magnet for irrational knocks and doubts.
If you think anyone here knocks DD because he's french, you are wrong. I'd be willing to bet that every guy on this board would love to have a French superstar or star Center. I know I do.

I Love DD, He just does not fit medium term, and he's too small. Stop with the paranoia!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
Wow! People still doubting DD and thinking that Eller will be a top 6

What would be funny is that they split up Patches and DD, and DD still gets 60+pts while Patches doesn't quite beat his previous year's stats.

I think that will show peeps how out-of this world is Desharnais' vision.
Bring it on. I would love it if that happens.

Quote:
The Habs boards:

Zing. Says everything.

Last edited by One Man Rock Band: 08-19-2012 at 11:04 AM.
bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 11:06 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Don't think every year is the same as last one.

Who predicted last summer that our first line would be Cole - Desharnais - Pacioretty?

With Bergevin - Therrien.....what do you expect?
The nice, clean, speedy, defensive type of hockey we had for the past 3 years?

Resigning White, Emelin and Moen
Add Armstrong, Prust and Bouillon

It won't be clean clean.....
They gonna go after their guys hard and they will come for ours just as hard.

Not sure how a couple of players will react to that change. Desharnais is the first on my list.....Gionta, Kaberle and even Plekanec are also there.

If they come hard for Desharnais, might change a lot of things!
Lol you think because things get tough Desharnais is going to change his play style? You shouldn't act like you've watched his whole career when clearly you haven't. DD has been subject to that his whole career --- he's a tough little bugger. There's a reason he goes to the front of the net more than 99% of our team.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 12:21 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
The Habs boards:

The Habs boards:

Where 36pts from our no1 defensemen (28th in the league) is a great achievement worth restructuring the rest of the team around.

The Habs boards:

Where a .915 sv% from our starting goaltender (22th in the league, ignoring goalies with less than 20 games) is a great achievement worth restructuring the rest of the team around.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote