HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Contract extension for Trevor Timmins

Old
08-17-2012, 05:23 PM
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!

vCash: 500
Awesome. So pumped. Beregevin is awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naoned View Post
Fantastic news. Aside from Nokelainen, there's not one Bergy move that I don't really like.
What's wrong with Noke? He's the kind of player who doesn't do much, but doesn't hurt you much either. I don't mind him. And he's an insurance policy -- we don't have much ready for that spot. And if Gomez can't handle 4th line minutes without sucking horribly, then I'd rather have Noke ready to go.

Hawkguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 08:29 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Bergevin is very pragmatic. I instantly approved of everything he's done with one possible exception: the selection of Therrien as coach. However, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until we see Therrien repeat his past tactical mistakes (that fateful faceoff. for example).
I understand Therrien has his faults, but this man is excellent at building structure and a team first mentality. Good mix of a staff in my opinion. Jodoin will offset his faults quite well IMO.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 08:45 PM
Dwight
The French Tickler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
Awesome. So pumped. Beregevin is awesome.

What's wrong with Noke? He's the kind of player who doesn't do much, but doesn't hurt you much either. I don't mind him. And he's an insurance policy -- we don't have much ready for that spot. And if Gomez can't handle 4th line minutes without sucking horribly, then I'd rather have Noke ready to go.
Agreed. Don't understand the hate for Nokelainen - solid, big, not unphysical 4th line guy who can win faceoffs and play on the PK for league minimum. What's to hate?

Anyway, that's for another topic. This move was a no-brained.

Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 08:49 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Greatest news ever. Best Habs asset. And what's better is that it would have been possible that Timmins might have had other possibilities to look at. You never know though. If somebody is offering him a GM job and he's interested, there's not a contract that can hold him tie to us. Remains to know....is he interested in ever becoming a GM.

Until then....awesome news.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 09:01 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Greatest news ever. Best Habs asset. And what's better is that it would have been possible that Timmins might have had other possibilities to look at. You never know though. If somebody is offering him a GM job and he's interested, there's not a contract that can hold him tie to us. Remains to know....is he interested in ever becoming a GM.

Until then....awesome news.
He might eventually try new challenges, but it seems like being a head scout is the job he truly enjoys (and excels at).

Let's also not forget that he is in one of the best position in the entire league. He has a huge budget and a boss that seems to understand the importance of drafting. Plus, I bet he's one of the highest paid head scout in the NHL.

Gabe84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 09:12 PM
No Style Points

good work is rewarded

No Style Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 10:25 PM
Teufelsdreck

Hey, Therrien's defenders, did you notice that Therrien was relieved of his job and Bylsma brought in to lead the Penguins to the Cup? What did Therrien accomplish with Crosby, Malkin, et cie? And he's expected to lead the Habs into the playoffs? I'll believe it when I see it. It suggests that Bergevin, good as he is, can have a soft spot for an underperformer. Therrien is fiery, demanding? What about practicing a little discipline and common sense on hmself? But, as I said, I'm willing to give Bergevin the benefit of the doubt despite my skepticism about MT. In this case I would be relieved to be proved wrong.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 10:55 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Hey, Therrien's defenders, did you notice that Therrien was relieved of his job and Bylsma brought in to lead the Penguins to the Cup? What did Therrien accomplish with Crosby, Malkin, et cie? And he's expected to lead the Habs into the playoffs? I'll believe it when I see it. It suggests that Bergevin, good as he is, can have a soft spot for an underperformer. Therrien is fiery, demanding? What about practicing a little discipline and common sense on hmself? But, as I said, I'm willing to give Bergevin the benefit of the doubt despite my skepticism about MT. In this case I would be relieved to be proved wrong.
He lead a younger crop to a Cup Finals. Clearly not a MT fan. But will leave him the benefit of the doubt. Yet, again, french or english, the perfect candidate didn't exist. Going back to Timmins....great Bergevin move that makes total sense.

Old
08-17-2012, 11:00 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 1100
To answer the repeated question. I remember a while back Timmins was asked about being a GM and he said he had interest. Not in the "right now" more along the lines of "that's the ultimate goal"

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 11:18 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
To answer the repeated question. I remember a while back Timmins was asked about being a GM and he said he had interest. Not in the "right now" more along the lines of "that's the ultimate goal"
Yet, if I'm an owner, he's CLEARLY in my list. And a favorite as well. The guy recognizes talent. You need that in a GM. Yes, his business right now is PROJECTING, while the GM goes with things more definite. Yet, you still have to project how he'll fit in your lineup. You still need to make trades that will eventually see a young prospect coming or going, or picks. So while Timmins will not a the head scout of his team as a GM, he will appoint the right people. And chances are he'll be a GM that will somehow be involve in the drafting based on his past. For me, he's a definite clear candidate. Yet, it might not work out. If it doesn't, he'll be picked up RIGHT away by a team, maybe even the same team, as a head scout and be succesful at it. Not a failure, just a realization that his definite place is at head scouting. But I'd try him as a GM for sure. First Habs move if something like that happen, make Jankowski your head scout 'cause you know that he'll be Timmins first candidate if he moves somewhere else leaving us with not a whole lot of great candidates amongst who might be available. But that's not what is going on now. Timmins is ours and hoping for years to come.

Old
08-17-2012, 11:50 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
I'm not sold on Bylsma. What happened this season in the playoffs is pretty worrisome. Granted, it's just a bunch of games, but those are the most important games of the year, and the Pens didn't look good at all. They were supposed to have a stacked team, yet ever since their cup, they've won only 1 playoff round in three years.

This year was especially bad. When Michalek and Martin signed with the Penguins, they were supposed to have a great defense. Those two players were very good with their previous team. Yet, with the Penguins, they've underperformed pretty badly, especially Martin. Makes you wonder...

To his defense, Bylsma had to deal with numerous injuries, especially in the 2010-2011 playoffs, in which he was missing his top two centers. I'm not saying he's a bad coach, not at all: he has done marvelous things with his team in the regular season despite health problems, he has won a Stanley cup... I guess what I'm saying is this: Therrien took that team to the finals once, and Bylsma won a cup. Therrien didn't even have the time to prove himself. Cup run, then he got the boot.

Therrien has coached only 5 full seasons in the NHL, plus two seasons during which he got booted about halfway through (his teams were hovering around .500 pts %). That's not a lot of mileage for a coach. Especially in Montréal, where he barely got the time to establish his presence--and before you tell me that there's probably a good reason why, remember that during those years, Montréal was a revolving door for coaches, including two coaches who have since went on to have great careers.

Am I excited about this hiring? No, not really. What I'm trying to say is that I wouldn't put Therrien in the same category as a guy like Crawford, for instance. Crawford is a guy that has over 1000 games coached in the NHL. He's not going to learn any new tricks. Therrien, on the other hand, has probably learned a lot from his stint in the Penguins--which, frankly, ended way too early. It will only be his third team. Sure, he hasn't coached in a while, and that may not look very good, but he needed a chance--maybe his last--to prove that he deserves to be in the NHL.

I know I'll give him a fair chance. More than one season, for sure. In the end, I wasn't really excited about the potential candidates on the market at the time of the hiring. I'm glad we didn't take a chance on a guy who has worn out his welcome in the NHL--at least, that's my opinion.

All of this thread hijacking to say that, in my opinion, so far, Marc Bergevin hasn't made a move that I would consider "bad". Locking up Timmins for a few more years, while an easy decision, is definitely in the "good" (or even "great"!) category. And the contract signings have been excellent so far.

Gabe84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 12:15 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Smurf View Post
Bergevin reduced Timmins role to focus on scouting with Timmin's support. Sometimes people like what their doing and want to stay where they are. As long as Timmins likes his role, the organization and his pay then their wouldn't be a desire to move one unless he wants to be a GM. Not everyone does. Dudley even said he never relished the GM role and preferred the behind the scenes work of an AGM.
It is becoming increasingly evident that MB told Molson he needs to put much more money into amateur scouting, pro scouting and player development.

If so, smart man.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 02:48 AM
NORiculous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
Selfishly, sure, but honestly I hope he does. The guy deserves a shot at a GM job some day soon and hopefully there are no openings in Montreal in the near future.
MTL needs to start building plan B for when/if he leaves.

NORiculous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 07:06 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
Timmins is among the most precious assets of this organisation: giving him less responsibilities (scouting only) combined with a longer and better contract was on my list of priorities... so I am a happy fan!

André Savard did the right thing when he hired him.
Even if Trevor was an ex-Sens?

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 07:35 AM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
Even if Trevor was an ex-Sens?

I guess Timmins is immune to the beige power of Ottawa... but as soon as he starts calling everyone Mister, begins to repeat "définitivement" endlessly, cringes at the mention of "hits" and "grits" or buys a "I freakin love Tom Pyatt" T-shirt () ... off with his head!

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 08:00 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Yet, if I'm an owner, he's CLEARLY in my list. And a favorite as well. The guy recognizes talent. You need that in a GM. Yes, his business right now is PROJECTING, while the GM goes with things more definite. Yet, you still have to project how he'll fit in your lineup. You still need to make trades that will eventually see a young prospect coming or going, or picks. So while Timmins will not a the head scout of his team as a GM, he will appoint the right people. And chances are he'll be a GM that will somehow be involve in the drafting based on his past. For me, he's a definite clear candidate. Yet, it might not work out. If it doesn't, he'll be picked up RIGHT away by a team, maybe even the same team, as a head scout and be succesful at it. Not a failure, just a realization that his definite place is at head scouting. But I'd try him as a GM for sure. First Habs move if something like that happen, make Jankowski your head scout 'cause you know that he'll be Timmins first candidate if he moves somewhere else leaving us with not a whole lot of great candidates amongst who might be available. But that's not what is going on now. Timmins is ours and hoping for years to come.
Before we got Dudley or Bergevin I was a strong supporter of Timmins getting at least interviewed for either job. In light of the fact they got a rookie GM it was best to have an experienced assistant GM but in an ideal world I want Timmins in the bridge between management and scouting. You're likely right about his successor but it's really just speculation right now. We'll see.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 10:51 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Snippin' Yank

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORiculous View Post
MTL needs to start building plan B for when/if he leaves.
Like Whitesnake said, plan B in this ''let's hope it never happens'' scenario is likely Ryan Jankowski since he had the scouting director role with the Islanders. Our WHL picks since we hired him to scout the WHL all look really good too (Dietz, Thrower and Bozon).

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 11:07 AM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Like Whitesnake said, plan B in this ''let's hope it never happens'' scenario is likely Ryan Jankowski since he had the scouting director role with the Islanders. Our WHL picks since we hired him to scout the WHL all look really good too (Dietz, Thrower and Bozon).
Which is something we needed to improve on.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 12:26 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Jankowski definitely has a great eye for talent. I view Timmins and Jankowski as our two top scouts, along with Frank Jay.

As for the Timmins extension, I'm obviously ecstatic.

08-18-2012, 12:55 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Jankowski definitely has a great eye for talent. I view Timmins and Jankowski as our two top scouts, along with Frank Jay.

As for the Timmins extension, I'm obviously ecstatic.
Don't forget Christer Rockstrom who is doing European amateur and professionnal scouting !

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 02:26 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belso View Post
I think his hands were tied a little. The only thing I like about The Therrien hire is that he is a no BS coach. So if players take shifts off, he will correct the problem. I just hope he's not too Bad ass and have players hate him too fast for it..

The important thing now is to see how fast Bergevin reacts if Therrien isn't doing a good job. And often there is only a change when there is a better candidate available which as of now in my opinion is no one.

Back to Timmins, I agree with some posters that not everyone who can be a GM want to be a GM. I would really like being a scout. The pay is good and I would love my job. unlike a lot of people, I'm 37 and have had some ****** stressful jobs in the past and my goal is not to achieve lots of money in the bank and live the fancy life. I'm sure Timmins is making a pretty good salary and he's respected in the office. I wouldn't be surprised if he hated the Gauthier era and he looks at ease in his role with the team now. I hope he's here for many years to come.
You'd be shocked how hard it actually is with the insane travel schedule and costs esp. for starting scouts.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote