HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tyson Barrie

Old
08-18-2012, 02:23 PM
leftwinghockey

vCash: 500
Tyson Barrie

What are your thoughts on him? Can he be top 4? Will he be in the NHL next year?

leftwinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 02:30 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Really good puck mover, great skater, he's good at both ends of the ice, he plays bigger than he is, has a great shot from the point. He can end up as a really good #3 d-man capable of running the PP. He might end up in the NHL depending on his showing in the training camp.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 03:03 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Really good puck mover, great skater, he's good at both ends of the ice, he plays bigger than he is, has a great shot from the point. He can end up as a really good #3 d-man capable of running the PP. He might end up in the NHL depending on his showing in the training camp.
Are you talking about how he is right now as an NHL player? Because that description doesn't really fit him. He makes a fair amount of mistakes in his own zone, even in the lesser role he was placed in, and as we saw at the end of the season, gets muscled off the puck pretty easily.

That description probably fit him in junior, but he has some work to do before it can be attributed to him as an NHLer.

Foppa2118 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 03:15 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Are you talking about how he is right now as an NHL player? Because that description doesn't really fit him. He makes a fair amount of mistakes in his own zone, even in the lesser role he was placed in, and as we saw at the end of the season, gets muscled off the puck pretty easily.

That description probably fit him in junior, but he has some work to do before it can be attributed to him as an NHLer.
I'm talking about his junior career, I'll give him more than a handful of NHL games before I start to criticise him for his performance. He looked decent for a rookie d-man in the games he played.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 05:46 PM
Drizzt1

I really like Barrie. He had a lot of Shattenkirk's qualities about him, and I think he was pretty unlucky at certain times not to pick up points, due to average finishing from other players and things.

BUT, I think Elliott has more of a chance of playing if:-
1. He bulks up in the off season;
2. He works with a defensive coach, to better understand the defensive side of his game.

Ideally, in the long run, I see BOTH making an impact for our team. Not this season, maybe not the next, but I'd like to see the following core (once respective players have developed properly) going forward:-

Johnson, Siemens, Elliott, Barrie, Wilson & Other, where other is a marquee defensemen acquired through free agency (which is hard, I know) to play with Johnson.

Drizzt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 07:59 PM
NHL33*

He may be small but he's an intelligent player. It'll be interesting to see how Elliott develops his game mentally, and how that compares to Barrie's. Barrie is so-so right now as an NHL player, I don't think he's ready yet due to his defensive game but he's not too far off either. He didn't produce much statistically for the Avs this past season, but I thought offensively he was better than his numbers. Needs a little more strength and I have a very small sampling of him (don't follow juniors) but I do think he'll be a top-4 defenseman when all is said and done.

Last edited by NHL33*: 08-18-2012 at 09:16 PM. Reason: typo
NHL33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 08:30 PM
GamingGiant

I think Barrie has the potential to become a top-4 defensemen.

I don't think that Barrie will make the team out of camp, but would be one of the first call ups this season.

GamingGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 08:38 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
I'm talking about his junior career, I'll give him more than a handful of NHL games before I start to criticise him for his performance. He looked decent for a rookie d-man in the games he played.
I wasn't criticizing him. I just think using an evaluation based on junior play for a player that has been pro for a year can be deceiving. Unless you make that distinction. That's why I mentioned it.

If I hadn't seen Barrie last year, I might assume your sentence about him being good in his own end, and playing bigger than he is described how he played last year. Which I think we can probably agree are areas he needs to work on.

Foppa2118 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 09:20 PM
AvsFanRCN

Lots of talent, nice kid too, met him in about a week ago in victoria, had a bit of a chat and he signed my jersey

AvsFanRCN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 05:28 AM
Belgican

I think he will impress so much at training camp, Sacco will have no choice to keep him, he will make the team and Elliott will be sent back to LEM

Belgican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 11:03 AM
cgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgican View Post
I think he will impress so much at training camp, Sacco will have no choice to keep him, he will make the team and Elliott will be sent back to LEM
While this is possible, I still think they're going to send all 3 of Guance, Elliott and Barrie to LEM to let them play together for a year, grow further and develop their chemistry. Although I do think Barrie will get called up in the second half of the season, and Gaunce would've been ready for the NHL if they didn't want to start letting him gel with the shifty righties.

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 01:56 PM
IWantSakicAsMyGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt1 View Post
I really like Barrie. He had a lot of Shattenkirk's qualities about him, and I think he was pretty unlucky at certain times not to pick up points, due to average finishing from other players and things.

BUT, I think Elliott has more of a chance of playing if:-
1. He bulks up in the off season;
2. He works with a defensive coach, to better understand the defensive side of his game.

Ideally, in the long run, I see BOTH making an impact for our team. Not this season, maybe not the next, but I'd like to see the following core (once respective players have developed properly) going forward:-

Johnson, Siemens, Elliott, Barrie, Wilson & Other, where other is a marquee defensemen acquired through free agency (which is hard, I know) to play with Johnson.
You forgot Gaunce. Gaunce could be that 1st pairing guy, if Siemens doesn't develop into that role.

IWantSakicAsMyGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 02:31 PM
Tralfamadore
So it goes

I think it would be a pipe dream to have Gaunce, Elliott, Barrie and Siemens all becoming NHL regulars on this team. However, of those 4 I'd say Barrie has the second best chance of becoming a regular with Siemens having the best chance.

What's the deal with Duncan anyway? For such a highly touted and highly drafted defensemen I feel like I never hear anything about him.

Tralfamadore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 01:00 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Wanna bump this thread because of how well he has played.

The jump he has on Elliott, is Barrie is much smarter in the defensive zone.
  • He does these little spins to get off the forechecker.
  • Waits for the forechecker until the last second to pass the puck giving skating room for the forward or his partner.
  • Great puck poise
  • Fantastic pokecheck (underrated)
  • Uses his skating ability as an advantage

It seems that I listed very little, but these go long ways that separates him between Elliott/D'core currently.

Some of cons I have notice is he tries to force the pass at times, tries to do too much with the puck, and he needs to work on his shot accuracy.

S E P H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 01:21 PM
El_Loco_Avs

The poise is back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(i totally agree with you)

El_Loco_Avs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 01:22 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

He's been a breath of fresh air, that's for sure. Hope I'm not overrating him (see: Eddie Murphy Raw and the cracker analogy) because of how obscenely bad the defense was prior to his arrival.

Could it be this is the guy we were hoping/praying Cumiskey would turn into?

Av-merican is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 02:46 PM
PAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
He's been a breath of fresh air, that's for sure. Hope I'm not overrating him (see: Eddie Murphy Raw and the cracker analogy) because of how obscenely bad the defense was prior to his arrival.

Could it be this is the guy we were hoping/praying Cumiskey would turn into?
Barrie has been good, I've been watching a lot other teams Barrie does a lot of things a lot of other players can't. He reminds me a bit of 2010 Doughty where he would be creative with the puck to make sure the play was completed.

He's exploding with confidence right now, I honestly see Barrie having an upside of top pairing (I think he'll top out as a #3 capable of being a #2). He needs to work on his shot, get a bit stronger, and work on his defensive play a bit more, but he's excelled at every level.

PAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 03:06 PM
CB Joe

I think he can become a decent second pairing guy. I think he lacks the size and strength to play top minutes.

CB Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 03:34 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

BTW, this is a bad time to try and evaluate Elliott right now. Just recovered from an injury, forced into a major role on a desperate team because our incompetent GM and coach thought they could rely on the puckmoving skills of Greg Zanon. Hate this phrase, but it's a recipe for disaster. What's worse, the supposed grit Sherman and Sacco plopped into the lineup is playing soft in the defensive zone, so that's just magnifying Elliott's shortcomings.

Old
02-24-2013, 09:51 PM
Pirate Deadpool
I hate Minnesota!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB Joe View Post
I think he can become a decent second pairing guy. I think he lacks the size and strength to play top minutes.
Totally agree with you. He's been playing a lot better this season. Hopefully he'll be a legit 2nd pairing guy for his career. Now the avs just need 3 more solid dmen and they will be set.

Pirate Deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 09:59 PM
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!

Hopefully he is finally, maybe, almost, starting to replace Shattenkirk now...

RobinDIF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:03 PM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

i think he's a surefire top tier 2nd pairing guy who can play like a top pairing guy. but it's too early to really know for sure.
he doesn't flash the dominant traits of a #1 but i think he can play there in the future if needed.

CalderKing21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:27 PM
avsfan09

I never expected him to play this good, atleast this early in his career.

-He's been good defensively and has show great stick work. He does get beat 1v1 a little too often when he buys fakes.

-Poise. He shows a ton of it when the puck is on his stick. That's the most impressive thing to me. Even when he's being pressured he consistently makes the right plays, sometimes great plays.

-Tonight, after a long shift in the offensive zone he starts to break out and realizes that the lines are tired and going for a change. Instead of pulling an O'byrne and firing it down for icing, or giving the puck away, he calmly retreated into his own zone. This bought our team time to change lines and we maintained possession instead of needlessly chasing the other team around and wasting energy to regain it.

-His shot gets though and he's great at walking the line.

avsfan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 01:56 AM
The Kingslayer

Easily our best dman since EJ went down. Hes starting to finally put up points aswell. Hes ahead of Elliott thus far. Elliott needs to learn to relax a bit. I dont know what Barrie did but his play before and after the scratch is crazy different

The Kingslayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 02:11 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kingslayer View Post
Easily our best dman since EJ went down. Hes starting to finally put up points aswell. Hes ahead of Elliott thus far. Elliott needs to learn to relax a bit. I dont know what Barrie did but his play before and after the scratch is crazy different
I think part of that is coaching. Sacco was using him sparingly and whenever Barrie made a big mistake, exiled him to the press box.

Part of a coach's responsibility is to put his players in a place to succeed. Sacco hadn't done that with Barrie until he was forced to, and now the kid is playing with confidence.

Elliott's got a ton of rust to shake off yet. I still question the logic of calling him up when he should've gotten some games in Lake Erie to get his legs back. I just don't get why Sacco doesn't at least TRY putting O'Brien in there--the guy has moderate puck skill, certainly better than Zanax and O'Byrne.