HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12'-13' Draft Thread: Preliminary Rankings

Closed Thread

Old
08-16-2012, 12:56 AM
TheNorthFace
Mo and Willy

vCash: 500
This Draft will live up to the hype in my opinion deep with top end talent. If Burke goes into this season with close to what we have now I see us having another top ten pick. MacKinnon/Monahan/and Barkov would all be great scenarios for the Leafs. Love Shinkaruk, but if we venture that low in the standings again I'd like to get that C.

Old
08-18-2012, 12:44 AM
edwardslane

What about Sam Reinhart? He's been getting alot of attention at this U-18 he's scoring lots too. Where is he projected to go?

is he Griffens youngers brother?

Old
08-18-2012, 12:45 AM
TheNorthFace
Mo and Willy

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardslane View Post
What about Sam Reinhart? He's been getting alot of attention at this U-18 he's scoring lots too. Where is he projected to go?

2014 eligible.

Old
08-18-2012, 01:18 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNorthFace View Post
This Draft will live up to the hype in my opinion deep with top end talent. If Burke goes into this season with close to what we have now I see us having another top ten pick. MacKinnon/Monahan/and Barkov would all be great scenarios for the Leafs. Love Shinkaruk, but if we venture that low in the standings again I'd like to get that C.
I think out of those three the one likely that can be near our grasp is Monohan as I see some potential risers from the wingers and Barkov due to the euro connection and not all teams go there. No I am not biased against Euros but remember Teuvo Tervainen?

08-18-2012, 01:20 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardslane View Post

North answered the draft year and I'll answer the kin one, yes he is the younger brother of Max and Griffin.

Old
08-18-2012, 01:20 AM
kamosko
Ginger Jesus

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Baigle View Post
If this season goes right, I'd like to see us pick up Max Domi and Jordan Subban. It's sort of a marketing move, but we have picked up a lot of tough 3rd/4th liners and Max is the opposite of that. And a D prospect would be good to have in the second round. I feel that bringing in Domi's son would be a good throwback to the leafs that used to get into the playoffs and win while still being a good prospect to have, and Jordan Subban could help ignite the Montreal/Toronto rivalry, a rivalry that I believe is good for the franchise.
Jordan (TML) vs. PK (MON) vs. Malcolm (BOS) , imagine those family dinners if we did draft Jordan lol

Old
08-18-2012, 01:21 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamosko99 View Post
Jordan (TML) vs. PK (MON) vs. Malcolm (BOS) , imagine those family dinners if we did draft Jordan lol
that would be hillarious. I can see us getting another first rounder for Domi, the guy has skill and has the grittiness burke likes.

Old
08-18-2012, 04:16 PM
RaskY
Heir to Lidstrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
I think out of those three the one likely that can be near our grasp is Monohan as I see some potential risers from the wingers and Barkov due to the euro connection and not all teams go there. No I am not biased against Euros but remember Teuvo Tervainen?
Barkov is a lot better than Teravainen.

The main reason why Teravainen dropped in the draft was because of his lack of size IMO. Under 170 lbs and not 6'0 ft yet. He also didn't start playing in SM-liiga until his draft year, unlike Barkov who has already had over 30 games in SM-liiga as a 16 year old. And back to the size thing, Barkov is just 16 years old and he's already 6'2/205 lbs. Just provides a much more complete game than Teuvo, and IIRC Teuvo was never being regarded as a top five pick this early in his draft year. I don't think Barkov will drop out of the top ten at-least. He could fall out of the top five but at the same time I think he could also rise into the top three.

Old
08-18-2012, 07:10 PM
TheNorthFace
Mo and Willy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Monahan would be unreal to get honestly. Prototypical power center. Really any of the players ranked highly in this draft would be great to get, but one of MacKinnon, Monahan, and Barkov would be amazing. Call me negative, but I can't see the team we have here now with no upgraded goaltending finishing without a top ten pick. I definitely agree about Euro's. Unless a player in Europe is deemed can't miss they have the potential to drop. Barkov looks real good though.

Old
08-19-2012, 09:45 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaskY View Post
Barkov is a lot better than Teravainen.

The main reason why Teravainen dropped in the draft was because of his lack of size IMO. Under 170 lbs and not 6'0 ft yet. He also didn't start playing in SM-liiga until his draft year, unlike Barkov who has already had over 30 games in SM-liiga as a 16 year old. And back to the size thing, Barkov is just 16 years old and he's already 6'2/205 lbs. Just provides a much more complete game than Teuvo, and IIRC Teuvo was never being regarded as a top five pick this early in his draft year. I don't think Barkov will drop out of the top ten at-least. He could fall out of the top five but at the same time I think he could also rise into the top three.
Well, Barkov does turn 17 in two weeks but otherwise agreed. IMO he's better than any Finnish prospect or to-be-drafted out there.

Teuvo was something like early second rounder or late first. Playoffs increased his stock as did 18-WCs.

Old
08-19-2012, 10:00 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 166
Quote:
Monahan would be unreal to get honestly. Prototypical power center. Really any of the players ranked highly in this draft would be great to get, but one of MacKinnon, Monahan, and Barkov would be amazing. Call me negative, but I can't see the team we have here now with no upgraded goaltending finishing without a top ten pick. I definitely agree about Euro's. Unless a player in Europe is deemed can't miss they have the potential to drop. Barkov looks real good though.
I'm really starting to get sold on Monahan. Gonna have to take a few looks this season.

08-19-2012, 10:08 AM
RaskY
Heir to Lidstrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
Well, Barkov does turn 17 in two weeks but otherwise agreed. IMO he's better than any Finnish prospect or to-be-drafted out there.

Teuvo was something like early second rounder or late first. Playoffs increased his stock as did 18-WCs.
Yeah honestly it's tough to find a comparison for a guy like Barkov to recent Finnish prospects. In terms of talent or draft position, Mikael Granlund is a name that comes to mind, but he really had a nice year in SM-liiga and international tournaments in his draft year. You could see he had really nice offensive potential. We'll see how Barkov progresses this season in SM-liiga. I think he can produce just as much if not more than Granlund did t-b-h.

Old
08-19-2012, 04:53 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Yeah honestly it's tough to find a comparison for a guy like Barkov to recent Finnish prospects. In terms of talent or draft position, Mikael Granlund is a name that comes to mind, but he really had a nice year in SM-liiga and international tournaments in his draft year. You could see he had really nice offensive potential. We'll see how Barkov progresses this season in SM-liiga. I think he can produce just as much if not more than Granlund did t-b-h.
Yeah, I think Barkov plays close to ppg. I think MG had better linemates, though. I think Barkov could have better WJCs.

And even if he doesn't surpass that incredible draft season of MG, I think he's upside is and will remain higher. He's passing and vision may not be as good (though still VERY good) but I think he's better at pretty much everything else. Too early to say anything about skating, Barkov can and will improve on that department as he's grown so much so fast. As he matures, it will improve. The question is, how much.

Old
08-19-2012, 04:58 PM
TheNorthFace
Mo and Willy

Does Barkov play a game with any grit to it?

Old
08-19-2012, 09:36 PM
leugangen

ugh I really want the Leafs to tank this season, or for there to be a full lockout. Getting one of MacKinnon, Monahan, or Barkov would set us up for a long time.

Old
08-20-2012, 05:47 AM
aingefan

Quote:
Beach volleyball? Horseshoes, maybe?

Old
08-20-2012, 01:26 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
While I wouldn't say that grit is he's best asset, he's not soft. He's willing to go to the dirty areas, drive to the net.

Next season is very telling, he was 16 last season, playing against men.

Oh I forgot. he's not Canadian and has Russian father so no, he doesn't even know how to spell 'grit'.

Old
08-20-2012, 01:27 PM
KlattNazty

Quote:
Not like the go out and run you over grit, more the euro grit style of Hanzal or M. Koivu.

Old
08-20-2012, 01:29 PM
RaskY
Heir to Lidstrom

Quote:
Not necessarily but he does use his size to his advantage. Reminds me a bit of Kopitar actually.

Old
08-20-2012, 01:36 PM
TheNorthFace
Mo and Willy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
While I wouldn't say that grit is he's best asset, he's not soft. He's willing to go to the dirty areas, drive to the net.

Next season is very telling, he was 16 last season, playing against men.

Oh I forgot. he's not Canadian and has Russian father so no, he doesn't even know how to spell 'grit'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlattNazty View Post
Not like the go out and run you over grit, more the euro grit style of Hanzal or M. Koivu.
Quote:
Not necessarily but he does use his size to his advantage. Reminds me a bit of Kopitar actually.
Nice to know. Sounds like a real enticing prospect for this coming draft.

Old
08-22-2012, 11:29 PM
Crispy Crust

vCash: 570
This draft is shaping up to be real good. Can't wait to get a good look at Seth Jones in Portland this year. He should be a treat to watch.

Old
08-23-2012, 10:18 AM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
can't even hold Jones' jock strap
Because he's too busy threading the puck through his legs on his way to the net

Old
08-23-2012, 10:50 AM
leugangen

I wonder what the Leafs would do if they had the #2 overall pick in this upcoming draft? MacKinnon will be taken #1 (taking a D #1 is a bad idea, 99% of the time), so we would have to choose between an elite d-man (Jones) or filling a need (Monahan or Barkov).

Old
08-23-2012, 10:51 AM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamosko99 View Post
That would be pretty epic. Some of the greatest rivalries in history between these three teams and each of them having a brother would be amazing. Imagine those games...

At this point I think I'd want to pick in this order:

1. MacKinnon - The guy is one of the youngest in the draft still and I personally think a head above everyone. Seth Jones could challenge for number 1 my ass. It's always been MacKinnon and it will be MacKinnon come draft day 2013. Just like it was always Stamkos, and it was always Tavares. MacKinnon is a special talent. Sidney Crosby he is not but he's still a potential player like Stamkos and that's not something that drops to number 2.

2. Barkov - Younger than MacKinnon (by a day but I digress). I'm a huge fan. He's got the size you want, the defensive game you want, and he has great offensive upside. And played against men from the age of 16? Dude's a stud.

3. Seth Jones - Not a huge fan but I can see why people are. He's everything you want in a dman. And he's apparently a great skater. I'd have no issue taking him after MacKinnon/Barkov. He'd be a great long-term replacement to Phaneuf if it comes to losing Phaneuf. Otherwise having Jones-Gardiner/Rielly and Phaneuf-Gardiner/Rielly on two separate lines would be enticing to say the least. Nice looking defense.

4. Monahan - Already drawing Toews comparisons. Does it all. A potential top line center with leadership and strong defenive play? Love it.

5. Shinkaruk - Smallish winger like Kessel but I wouldn't turn him down. Could be the best pure sniper in the draft. Having two Kessel's wouldn't be ideal but it would be far from teh worst thing to happen to us.

6. Lazar
7. Ristolainen
8. Pulock
9. Rychel
10. Lindholm
11. Nichushkin
12. Erne
13. Morissey
14. Haag
15. Domi

Old
08-23-2012, 10:51 AM
KlattNazty

Quote:
Originally Posted by leugangen View Post
I wonder what the Leafs would do if they had the #2 overall pick in this upcoming draft? MacKinnon will be taken #1 (taking a D #1 is a bad idea, 99% of the time), so we would have to choose between an elite d-man (Jones) or filling a need (Monahan or Barkov).
too early to say IMO, but even at this point taking Monahan or Barkov there wouldnt look that odd.

Closed Thread