HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Abbotsford heat to be bought by aquilinis?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-18-2012, 05:13 PM
  #26
kongt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 77
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
I think the added travel for the AHL folks would be off-set by the proximity to Vancouver. And of course, if the Heat were actually a Canucks affiliate instead of a Flames one they'd likely see a lot more attendance (I know I would try catching some games).
The only problem I m not for this...

kongt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 05:24 PM
  #27
timw33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,713
vCash: 500
If he does buy them, and the Canucks use them as an affiliate, I hope to God that they change the name and jerseys.

timw33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 06:20 PM
  #28
Interior Cascadian
Registered User
 
Interior Cascadian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Post Falls, Idaho
Country: United States
Posts: 699
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
Still surprised the WHL pulled out the Chilliwack Bruins considering just how fast the Fraser Valley was growing.
What's spurring the Fraser Valley's economic growth?

Interior Cascadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 06:22 PM
  #29
Interior Cascadian
Registered User
 
Interior Cascadian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Post Falls, Idaho
Country: United States
Posts: 699
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
I think it was mentioned on Twitter at some point - might have been News1130 that stated it.

As stated above, the Wolves' group is interested in winning moreso than being a development team for the NHL.
They've had that reputation for years, haven't they?

Interior Cascadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 06:28 PM
  #30
Wisp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,823
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
If he does buy them, and the Canucks use them as an affiliate, I hope to God that they change the name and jerseys.
What would the farm team be called? Millionairs? Nuckalucks

Wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 06:28 PM
  #31
Derp Kassian
Registered User
 
Derp Kassian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,222
vCash: 500
The only player I can think of that was really scratched for abit was Anton Rodin.. Who else did the Wolves stunt? Some of the D?

Derp Kassian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 06:30 PM
  #32
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!
 
Eddy Punch Clock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chillbillyville
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,976
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows View Post
I didn't know Chicago was wavering.
Well keep in mind that it's a very windy city.

Calgary's farm team located anywhere in BC makes about as much sense as a solar powered flashlight.

Inevitable... manifest destiny... whatever you want to call it, Canucks farm team will eventually be a short hop and a skip from Vancouver; whether it be Abby or Seattle.

I've un-realisticly got my fingers crossed for Chilliwack though.

Eddy Punch Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 06:43 PM
  #33
vadim sharifijanov
Registered User
 
vadim sharifijanov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 8,702
vCash: 500
the abbotsford eighty-eights. make it happen.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 07:04 PM
  #34
Ashasx
Registered User
 
Ashasx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,621
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Bingo.

No lose situation for the Flames. Unfortunately for the city of Abbotsford - it was simply silly to essentially "underwrite" all the losses (and you know there would be losses for an AHL affiliate of the rival of the local NHL team).
This is a huge lose situation for the Flames.

Abbotsford is covering all the losses for the team. Add to that, the Flames may be forced to use Chicago as their AHL affiliate, which has been mentioned, is a team primarily focused on winning and not developing prospects.

Unless there is a better option out there for the Flames (and I'm not seeing it), the Flames will not sell.

Ashasx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 07:12 PM
  #35
Bleach Clean
Registered User
 
Bleach Clean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 15,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
This is a huge lose situation for the Flames.

Abbotsford is covering all the losses for the team. Add to that, the Flames may be forced to use Chicago as their AHL affiliate, which has been mentioned, is a team primarily focused on winning and not developing prospects.

Unless there is a better option out there for the Flames (and I'm not seeing it), the Flames will not sell.


I'm not sure about this, but the article states that Aqua has designs on the arena. The Flames did not buy the arena... The city still owns it. There is merely an agreement in place between the Flames and the city to house their AHL affiliate there.


If that's correct, it's the city that has the decision to sell, not the flames organization. In other words, the Canucks will not buy said arena only to continue housing the flames AHL affiliate there. There will be language in the deal have the teams switch locations.

Bleach Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 07:16 PM
  #36
Ashasx
Registered User
 
Ashasx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,621
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
I'm not sure about this, but the article states that Aqua has designs on the arena. The Flames did not buy the arena... The city still owns it. There is merely an agreement in place between the Flames and the city to house their AHL affiliate there.


If that's correct, it's the city that has the decision to sell, not the flames organization. In other words, the Canucks will not buy said arena only to continue housing the flames AHL affiliate there. There will be language in the deal have the teams switch locations.
There is a 10 year contract between the Heat and the arena. This contract cannot be broken unless a mutual agreement is reached.

The Canucks can own that arena all they want, but the Flames have the final say in this.

The contract is fantastic for the Flames. All the red is being covered by the city.

I just see no incentive for the Flames to do this.

Ashasx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 07:29 PM
  #37
MarkMM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Delta, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 940
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
There is a 10 year contract between the Heat and the arena. This contract cannot be broken unless a mutual agreement is reached.

The Canucks can own that arena all they want, but the Flames have the final say in this.

The contract is fantastic for the Flames. All the red is being covered by the city.

I just see no incentive for the Flames to do this.
Point of fact, the Flames don't own the team. The city owns the arena, a group of local businessmen own the Heat (led by a hotel owner plus some other Abbotsford business types) and they have an affiliate agreement with the Flames.

So it's not up to the Flames whether or not Aquillini buys the arena OR the team. Aquillini can buy the arena, but keep the current owners, and if THEY want, get them to switch to the Canucks as the affiliate, or he can buy the arena AND the team, and then do whatever he wants.

The bigger question is whether the owners want to sell or affiliate with the Canucks, and how long the current agreement with the Flames lasts and/or what the out-clauses are.

MarkMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 07:32 PM
  #38
Wisp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,823
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
There is a 10 year contract between the Heat and the arena. This contract cannot be broken unless a mutual agreement is reached.

The Canucks can own that arena all they want, but the Flames have the final say in this.

The contract is fantastic for the Flames. All the red is being covered by the city.

I just see no incentive for the Flames to do this.
Of course, Aquilini would drop a lot of coin as compensation.

Wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 07:34 PM
  #39
Bleach Clean
Registered User
 
Bleach Clean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 15,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
There is a 10 year contract between the Heat and the arena. This contract cannot be broken unless a mutual agreement is reached.

The Canucks can own that arena all they want, but the Flames have the final say in this.

The contract is fantastic for the Flames. All the red is being covered by the city.

I just see no incentive for the Flames to do this.


How does the contract stack up to agreements made by other cities with their affiliates? I'm not up to speed on them. Also, it's my understanding that the team + arena would be bought. The affiliation being separate from that. Edit: MarkMM makes the distinction before me...



Way I look at it is that the contract with the city would have to be so good so as to continue an untenable relationship. Basically, the Flames and the city are partners. In business together for their mutual benefit. If the Flames are OK operating to the detriment of their partners, without regard to optics/other, then they may choose to do so... Except that I don't think big businesses prefer to do this.



Chicago also offers the advantage of easier travel. With a team that seems to run with more autonomy than others. It will have to weighed: Bad situation + great deal vs. Good situation + OK deal.

Bleach Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 07:49 PM
  #40
JumpierPegasus
Mhm...
 
JumpierPegasus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Abbotsford, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,738
vCash: 500
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLEASE!

We'd sell double the tickets we sell now. Games sell out fast when the Wolves come to town. I can't find tickets to those games, ever.

JumpierPegasus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 08:14 PM
  #41
Verviticus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4,577
vCash: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post
Well keep in mind that it's a very windy city.

Calgary's farm team located anywhere in BC makes about as much sense as a solar powered flashlight.

Inevitable... manifest destiny... whatever you want to call it, Canucks farm team will eventually be a short hop and a skip from Vancouver; whether it be Abby or Seattle.

I've un-realisticly got my fingers crossed for Chilliwack though.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_powered_flashlight ????????

Verviticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 08:48 PM
  #42
thefeebster
Registered User
 
thefeebster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 5,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp Kassian View Post
The only player I can think of that was really scratched for abit was Anton Rodin.. Who else did the Wolves stunt? Some of the D?
Rodin was rarely, if ever scratched for poor play. He sat out the first month largely, I think in part of his ailing shoulder and letting it recover fully. He was scratched in the playoffs for what can be said to be a neck/head/upper body injury as AV calls them.

Who did they really stunt? Let's hear it from those who think the Wolves are mistreating our players. I don't see it. Polasek would have been the most scratched D prospect. He had some ups and downs, perhaps warranted some sittings, but I thought he should play more. But face the facts, there was a lot of competition on D. On several occasions we had 5 Canuck prospect D men of the 6 dressed. Is that what's called stunting development? I think anyone watching this year, would think this is an absurd notion. Some of the Wolves writers implied that Canuck players got preference over the others.

----

Colour me meh on the decision to move affiliations. The Wolves are a well run organization in a great city. They have great practice facilities, their arena is literally across the highway from the airport (should they need it for travel). And travel is a breeze in comparison to Abby. All 4 (Peoria, Rockford, Milwaukee and Grand Rapids) are around 3 hours away by bus with no change in timezone i think.

And from what I can tell the Canucks brass are in Chicago quite frequently. Apparently, Lorne Henning takes frequent visits there to keep in touch with their mgmt and their players. And from what Wendell Young has said, we are very accommodating and involve the Wolves brass in a lot of the decisions as well. A good example is the trade deadline. I was shocked when i read the "wavering" rumor a few months ago as it seems like a good fit from both sides.

thefeebster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 09:17 PM
  #43
Barney Gumble
Registered User
 
Barney Gumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 19,587
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
This is a huge lose situation for the Flames.
I was referring to why the Flames would want to locate their AHL affiliate in Abbotsford in the first place; no lose or no risk situation for the Flames (eg., guaranteed not to lose money while having their farm club fairly close by the parent club for callups). No way do I see them wanting to change affiliates.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 09:20 PM
  #44
Verviticus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4,577
vCash: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
Rodin was rarely, if ever scratched for poor play. He sat out the first month largely, I think in part of his ailing shoulder and letting it recover fully. He was scratched in the playoffs for what can be said to be a neck/head/upper body injury as AV calls them.

Who did they really stunt? Let's hear it from those who think the Wolves are mistreating our players. I don't see it. Polasek would have been the most scratched D prospect. He had some ups and downs, perhaps warranted some sittings, but I thought he should play more. But face the facts, there was a lot of competition on D. On several occasions we had 5 Canuck prospect D men of the 6 dressed. Is that what's called stunting development? I think anyone watching this year, would think this is an absurd notion. Some of the Wolves writers implied that Canuck players got preference over the others.
i got the impression that they kinda treated erixon like **** and thats why he's back in sweden?

Verviticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 09:29 PM
  #45
thefeebster
Registered User
 
thefeebster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 5,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verviticus View Post
i got the impression that they kinda treated erixon like **** and thats why he's back in sweden?
Erixon got a lot of opportunity to claim a spot on D. He was gifted the spot on the 1st PP and did nothing with it. His ES play was largely mediocre, lost a lot of battles along the wall and gave up the front of the net like it was poison. Then he got sat because of his weak play and whined about ice time.

Several here have ceremoniously jumped on Hodgson for wanting more ice time and complaining about it. But Erixon doing so is a reflection on the org and how it treats its players? Then are the Canucks org a reflection of the Hodgson situation?

As I said, polasek deserved more games IMO, but where are the rumors of his poor treatment or discontent?

thefeebster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 11:31 PM
  #46
go_leafs_go02
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Langley, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,711
vCash: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyJayhawk View Post
What's spurring the Fraser Valley's economic growth?
It's quickly turning into a large bedroom community to Metro Vancouver. It's alot cheaper than Vancouver proper, a house in Vancouver costs 2-3X more than a house in Abbotsford, and 3-4X more than in Chilliwack.

Plus Vancouver and area has been booming for the last decade plus.

go_leafs_go02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 11:44 PM
  #47
Verviticus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4,577
vCash: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
Erixon got a lot of opportunity to claim a spot on D. He was gifted the spot on the 1st PP and did nothing with it. His ES play was largely mediocre, lost a lot of battles along the wall and gave up the front of the net like it was poison. Then he got sat because of his weak play and whined about ice time.

Several here have ceremoniously jumped on Hodgson for wanting more ice time and complaining about it. But Erixon doing so is a reflection on the org and how it treats its players? Then are the Canucks org a reflection of the Hodgson situation?

As I said, polasek deserved more games IMO, but where are the rumors of his poor treatment or discontent?
i didn't say anything about the organization - rather just their interactions with erixon - i dont have a strong opinion about them. thanks for giving me context for erixon's complaints.

Verviticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 12:56 AM
  #48
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows
 
LickTheEnvelope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 27,623
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
If he does buy them, and the Canucks use them as an affiliate, I hope to God that they change the name and jerseys.
Could change the name to the Millionaires... the Canucks acquired those rights I believe.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 12:57 AM
  #49
silvercanuck
Registered User
 
silvercanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,041
vCash: 500
The Canucks should stay as far away from the heat as possible. There is no benefit to having your farm team five hours away from their nearest opponent. I dont think its a good idea to get involved with the shady Abbotsford businessmen that own the team either. The back room deal they struck with the city and Flames is dirty as hell.

silvercanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 01:03 AM
  #50
WinterEmpire
Unregistered User
 
WinterEmpire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,385
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercanuck View Post
The Canucks should stay as far away from the heat as possible. There is no benefit to having your farm team five hours away from their nearest opponent.
Might as well get them used to the travel the Canucks face on a regular basis.

WinterEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:08 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.