HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ever been to Decarie Square?

Old
08-18-2012, 05:30 PM
Masao

vCash: 500
Ever been to Decarie Square?

I've been there for the first time today. Funny since I've seen this place over and over for years without ever getting in.

Since Hampstead is right next door, and there's a couple of elegant places nearby (like the Marathon restaurant near the Orange Julep) I thought Decarie Square would be a nice place.

This is by far the most depressing mall I've ever seen. It looks like a third world country in there. Right as you enter there's a Sears, supposedly an elegant store. That one looks like a garage sale.

There are more empty, run-down "for rent" spaces than actual stores (usually on liquidation). The ground is filthy. It's isolated and looks like a place for a drug deal. It's empty and depressing.

And on the second floor, you even have a welfare office.

I couldn't help looking it up when I came back. This is some sad stuff.

http://www.mook-life.com/ghost-malls-decarie-square/

I wonder if one day Rockland Center and La Baie will end up looking like Decarie Square.

Masao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 05:41 PM
Avim86

I live very close to there it's next to a Wal-mart and has probably the worst Winners in Quebec (by reputation). I only go there once a year to renew my drivers license and registration... Marathon's is not classy if anything Baton Rouge right next door could be considered classy but I prefer The Keg at Place Ville-Marie for same kind of food/price but tastier. Decarie Square was supposed to be a happening place it had Jilly's a pool bar that was really popular at one point (in the late 90's) but since the early 2000's it's been pretty trashy and most people have no business being there.

Avim86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 05:46 PM
Masao

There was a really nice restaurant right next to there on the other side of Decarie, it was called La Diligence. Ever been there? Now they turned it into an Amir and a Dunn's

Last edited by Masao: 08-18-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old
08-18-2012, 08:02 PM
coolasprICE

You are leaving out the most important epic part of the decarie square... Dollar Cinema.

''The only Dollar Cinemas theater in the world that sells tickets for 2$ ''

And actually they have a big following - check out the amazing google reviews, the only joint in decarie square that has any reviews for that matter..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avim86 View Post
and has probably the worst Winners in Quebec (by reputation).
my gf says the contrary - one of the better ones according to her...

coolasprICE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 08:05 PM
Masao

I actually walked past that cinema... the three people I saw walking out of there seemed like they came right out of one of those "wal-mart rednecks from Arkansas" galleries

Old
08-18-2012, 08:11 PM
c3z4r

vCash: 268
Quote:
I live very close to there it's next to a Wal-mart and has probably the worst Winners in Quebec (by reputation).
I used to work at that Winners and I gotta say that the managers were a bit of cocky dbags and we always used to be understaffed and most of the employees didn't really care about the store's well-being, but the store always had some amazing prices on brand articles, which were hard to find anywhere else in Quebec.

c3z4r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 08:13 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masao View Post
I actually walked past that cinema... the three people I saw walking out of there seemed like they came right out of one of those "wal-mart rednecks from Arkansas" galleries
I'm sure it attracts that crowd. But also attracts family during the day time..

I don't have kids but imagine taking your wife and 3 kids to the theater every time a good movie comes out... Tickets, Pop corn, drinks, candy etc...we're talking what, 100$ ? Not including the dinner before and after and whatever other expenses....

It's an (occasional) outing amongst my nieces and nephews and their friends as parents will organize outings with 10 friends and get each kid whatever they want for snacks without remortgaging... and none of these kids have the alabama bloodlines. ...

Old
08-18-2012, 08:13 PM
Avim86

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3z4r View Post
I used to work at that Winners and I gotta say that the managers were a bit of cocky dbags and we always used to be understaffed and most of the employees didn't really care about the store's well-being, but the store always had some amazing prices on brand articles, which were hard to find anywhere else in Quebec.
Agreed I just hate waiting 45 min at a cash for pants.

Old
08-18-2012, 08:15 PM
poetryinmotion

I live nearby too and the place is a dump but I like the Winners (sorta).

Cavendish mall used to be like that too but now they are making it better.

poetryinmotion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 08:19 PM
Masao

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post

Cavendish mall? Didn't that place get destroyed, as in actually razed to the ground to leave room for condos?

I was near there recently to go to the cote st luc library and Cavendish mall just... wasn't there

Old
08-18-2012, 08:20 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:

I live really not far (actually, I live really close just rather disassociate with that place) and have not checked it out in a long time, what has changed since they cut it in half and the development around it?

Old
08-18-2012, 08:22 PM
Sthabs

Decarie square is a palace compared to what Plaza Cote des neiges used to be , and might still be, I havent been there in ages.

Sthabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 08:25 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sthabs View Post
Decarie square is a palace compared to what Plaza Cote des neiges used to be , and might still be, I havent been there in ages.
i hear there are plans to build a walmart in plaza cote des neiges...

Old
08-18-2012, 08:40 PM
Belso

It's a hole. There are a few malls in the Montreal area that are just awful. Cavendish mall is also bad as one person mentioned. But they are renovating the area and hopefully it will pick up. I also only go to Decarie Square to renew my drivers license. I just avoid it.

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 09:05 PM
Galchenyuk94

Yeah, I lived on Barclay and cote-des-neiges last year, right next to plaza cote-des-neiges. Reading this thread makes me happy I made the decision to pay a little extra and find someplace else With the new Triangle quartier done in a few years (Rouge, MA, Reve, Vue and Côté Ouest projects) the neighborhood will really improve though IMO. I was thinking of maybe buying a condo there, but no way I'm going to live with taking Decarie every day for the rest of my life.

Galchenyuk94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 09:11 PM
Avim86

Quote:
Cavendish mall? Didn't that place get destroyed, as in actually razed to the ground to leave room for condos?

I was near there recently to go to the cote st luc library and Cavendish mall just... wasn't there
Yup it's gone , Condo's now they left the Bureau en gros and the Pharmaprix.

Old
08-18-2012, 09:14 PM
Galchenyuk94

Quote:
Yup it's gone , Condo's now they left the Bureau en gros and the Pharmaprix.
Really? I saw a movie there four months ago at the cineplex inside. How long ago did this happen?

Old
08-18-2012, 09:16 PM
Avim86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galchenyuk94 View Post
Really? I saw a movie there four months ago at the cineplex inside. How long ago did this happen?
Recently enough it was a 2-3 phase project but the movie theatre I think is still there.

Old
08-18-2012, 09:19 PM
WhiskeySeven
Pretty big member

Isn't Decarie Square right next to a Hasidim neighborhood? It'd explain a lot about the economics of the place; by religious rule they can't have certain jobs. It's a tremendously ethnic neighborhood, could explain the weird demographics too.

I've been there... once. I'm thinking of going back like the mooklife article (decent photo journalism actually) HFBoards raid - anyone?

WhiskeySeven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 09:19 PM
Galchenyuk94

Quote:
Recently enough it was a 2-3 phase project but the movie theatre I think is still there.
Yeah I noticed lots of construction going around but the mall itself was still there.

Old
08-18-2012, 09:35 PM
FF de Mars

vCash: 915
I watched The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy with my brother over there when I was living in NDG. Mos Def ! 2$ and you can easily bring some drinks in. I'm surprised nobody smokes cigarettes in there.

FF de Mars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 09:53 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:

Yeah exactly, they are makin it better by shrinking it.

The Bureau en Gros is there as someone has mentioned, as is the IGA and the movie theater and the food court, it just got smaller.

Old
08-18-2012, 10:28 PM
mikeg

Quote:
and has probably the worst Winners in Quebec (by reputation).
nice try person who wants to keep the best kept winners and homesense secret location still secret....

yes the mall is like walking into a third world country. it is depressing, and needs to be blown up (sorry terrorists) and rebuilt into something more functional.

in the interim some highlights of it:

1) a wig store!
2) a very well stocked baby proofing store!
3) countless empty store fronts!
4) what used to be the best kept children's drop in clinic in the city... sh.... i did not just mention that.. forget you read that... what am i talking about... this is hfboards.. none of you kids knows what a vajayjay looks like anyways!
5) Israeli's everywhere!
6) And where there are Israeli's there is of course... frozen yogourt!
7) Indoor Parking!
8) fish!
9) repertory cinema!
10) bizarre clothing stores with no signs, unless you consider permanent markered paper bags to be something of a quaint indie thing...
11) And yes, the world's worst Sears... like if you ever want to experience what shopping in a war torn country that has been stocked with leftover american goods.. this Sears is the experience you have been looking for. I would even hazard a guess that there are undetonated land minds in there.

mikeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 10:51 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg View Post
nice try person who wants to keep the best kept winners and homesense secret location still secret....

yes the mall is like walking into a third world country. it is depressing, and needs to be blown up (sorry terrorists) and rebuilt into something more functional.

in the interim some highlights of it:

1) a wig store!
2) a very well stocked baby proofing store!
3) countless empty store fronts!
4) what used to be the best kept children's drop in clinic in the city... sh.... i did not just mention that.. forget you read that... what am i talking about... this is hfboards.. none of you kids knows what a vajayjay looks like anyways!
5) Israeli's everywhere!
6) And where there are Israeli's there is of course... frozen yogourt!
7) Indoor Parking!
8) fish!
9) repertory cinema!
10) bizarre clothing stores with no signs, unless you consider permanent markered paper bags to be something of a quaint indie thing...
11) And yes, the world's worst Sears... like if you ever want to experience what shopping in a war torn country that has been stocked with leftover american goods.. this Sears is the experience you have been looking for. I would even hazard a guess that there are undetonated land minds in there.
That Sears is an insult to stores. Also what did I just read.

Old
08-18-2012, 11:47 PM
Shutdown

Quote:
That Sears is an insult to stores. Also what did I just read.
Fish and Frozen yogourt.

Shutdown is offline   Reply With Quote