HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Heatley sues former agent for embezzlement (Mod Edit: Phillips suing as well)

Old
08-18-2012, 10:54 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 500
i honestly feel bad for heater in this situation.

The whole issue i had with the situation was not that heatley wanted to leave, but that he (or his camp)
a) made it public, greatly hurting his trade value
b) held the sens hostage with the NTC to dictate his destination, greatly hurting his trade value

Given how happy mcalpine was to be a complete media ***** during the whole heatley crisis, i have a strong suspicion that he was the driving force if not the perpetrator of (a) and given JP Barry's reputation and relationship with the sens, wouldnt be surprised if he was the main proponent for (b).

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 11:18 PM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

How are people applauding a crooked agent ripping off a player?

Heatley deserves to get ripped off because he is a ******?

The stupidity on this board is astounding at times.

John Holmes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 11:25 PM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post

People who don't have 11 million dollars love seeing people who have 11 million dollars lose 11 million dollars to other people who don't have 11 million dollars.

Trust me it makes sense. I agree with you though, its not an attractive reaction.

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 11:41 PM
Laszlo Panaflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
i honestly feel bad for heater in this situation.

The whole issue i had with the situation was not that heatley wanted to leave, but that he (or his camp)
a) made it public, greatly hurting his trade value
b) held the sens hostage with the NTC to dictate his destination, greatly hurting his trade value

Given how happy mcalpine was to be a complete media ***** during the whole heatley crisis, i have a strong suspicion that he was the driving force if not the perpetrator of (a) and given JP Barry's reputation and relationship with the sens, wouldnt be surprised if he was the main proponent for (b).
I could never feel bad for that *******.

Laszlo Panaflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 11:58 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

wow at the people who hold no ill will towards heatley.

Him wanting out is reason enough to hate him, and then the way handle it makes it 100x worse. Didn't even go to Spezza's wedding. horrible person.

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 12:34 AM
ElginStreetParty07

Quote:

I get it , two wrongs don't make a right ..... to forgive is divine .....

I doubt most people are applauding the horrible action. But it is really hard to feel

bad for a dbag millionaire making a horrible investment decision while his

own actions , while legal, were as horrible and affected people on a much larger

scale (the fans, the senators organization). You can't blame us for finding the

Karma delicious.

ElginStreetParty07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 01:05 AM
Laszlo Panaflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post

Him wanting out is reason enough to hate him, and then the way handle it makes it 100x worse. Didn't even go to Spezza's wedding. horrible person.
I don't know if we can call him a horrible person since I doubt many of us have met him, but he has handled some situations pretty badly. Maybe he's getting bad advice from people around him, I don't know. I think him not going to Spezza's wedding had more to do with him not wanting to be a distraction. I thought that was the most unselfish thing he did that off season.

Laszlo Panaflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 07:20 AM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan Lion View Post
Agreed. I dont mind Heatley at all anymore. Everything went as badly as possible with the trade demand but he's a good guy overall.
Aside from the trade demand and everything surrounding it, the bolded is the opposite of what I know. I don't know the jack*** personally, but I work with someone who worked for the Sens at the time and knew all the players, and let's just say, there are non-hockey related reasons he wanted out. That 'diminished role' crap was a load of feces.

internetdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 07:42 AM
Goat Boy
In support of BMurr.

Regardless of how I feel about Heatley, embezzlement is a serious crime. If McAlpine has actually done what he has been accused of, then I am fully on Heatley's side and hope that (a) he gets his money back, and (b) McAlpine's career is destroyed.

Heatley's prior behaviour and the whole NTC fiasco is irrelevant to the issue. Heatley was an ass, sure, but what he did was hardly illegal. I wouldn't want an agent embezzling millions from me, nor would I want an agent embezzling millions from Alfredsson or Karlsson or you or your grandmother, so I don't think it should happen to Heatley, either. I'm sort of morally obligated to support Heatley here. Mr. Kant would be proud.

That being said, I don't mind the fact that Heatley has a new pain in the ass issue to waste his time on.

Goat Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 08:32 AM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by internetdotcom View Post
Aside from the trade demand and everything surrounding it, the bolded is the opposite of what I know. I don't know the jack*** personally, but I work with someone who worked for the Sens at the time and knew all the players, and let's just say, there are non-hockey related reasons he wanted out. That 'diminished role' crap was a load of feces.
Yeah I know that, his reasons were much much more valid.

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 09:40 AM
Legend Killer

I hold no ill-will towards Heatley whatsoever. We gave him the NTC, and he used it. Half the people here think we ended up with the better player in the end, yet are still sour about how he handled his business.

As mentioned just above, the "diminished role" was just thrown out there as an excuse for why he wanted out. Not the actual reason.

I feel bad for him getting scammed out of his $$$ and I hope he wins the case. Alot of players get screwed by agents and bad business deals.

Legend Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 09:52 AM
mcnorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan Lion View Post
Yeah I know that, his reasons were much much more valid.
What were they? I don't know. Tell us.

mcnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 11:06 AM
IranCondraAffair

Quote:

His own greed seems to have done him in. The court documents actually suggest he was after unrealistic ROI and put his money in risky investments to make more money. It's up to the courts to determine if he was ripped off, we don't know if it was a crooked agent or Heatley lying to cover up his own poor investments.

Let's take an objective look at Heatley:

He's a promising player in Atlanta that, while driving too fast one night, gets into a horrible crash and kills his best friend. After rehab, he asks to be traded from Atlanta, who in turn, is forced to trade him under difficult circumstances. Understandable.

Ottawa takes a risk on him and he rebounds and rebuilds his character and credibility. He signs a new contract. After signing the contract, the team takes a nosedive and Heatley again demands a trade. As part of his new contract, Heatley limits the teams that he is willing to be traded to. When no deal is forthcoming, someone from Heatley's camp leaks the info to the press, diminishing his value.

Ottawa eventually arranges a trade to one of those teams stipulated by Heatley, Edmonton. A deal is worked out and Heatley is set to be traded, but at the last minute, nixes the deal. Ottawa is eventually forced to work out a second deal with San Jose for even less value.

Because of Heatley's shenanigans and nixing trades, the Ottawa Senators pay 4 million dollars to a player who never plays another game for them and who had requested a trade.

Look, I don't wish the guy harm, but when someone who has displayed a remarkable level of selfishness at the expense of others gets burned by that same selfishness and greed, it's not a bad thing.

In fact, I am happy that the universe has given Heatley the opportunity to learn from his mistakes and see things from the perspective of the victim.

IranCondraAffair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 12:15 PM
PoutineSp00nZ
Beat that $%^& Bryan

**** heatley

PoutineSp00nZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 12:26 PM
DefenseMinister

Based on what's being reported about the lawsuit, it looks like there are a couple different allegations being made.

The first part about Heatley getting bad advice about real estate investments with McAlpine's parents who were real estate brokers seems like Heatley would have a hard time proving. He willingly invested the money in these ventures and whether he was told they were "safe" or not doesn't change the fact that he should have known what he was getting into. I don't see how he can claim he was misled when common sense dictates that there is no guarantee when it comes to investing in real estate. I don't think you are able to sue based on bad advice.

The second part of the lawsuit pretty much alleges out and out fraud against McAlpine which if true, seems to be far more legit claim. There's an allegation that McAlpine made 4 separate unauthorized withdrawals from Heatley's personal bank account totalling $4 million (which McAlpine presumably had been provided a power of attorney for). A player giving his agent a power of attorney to do his banking just because he was too lazy or disinterested to find another way to pay his own bills and make financial decisions is the epitome of stupid but it isn't grounds for the agent to withdraw large sums for purposes unknown to the player. It also appears like Heatley is attempting to recover another $1.3 million from McAlpine that was supposedly invested in a 1 year term deposit in 2009 which according to McAlpine, would net Heatley a 6% return. Putting aside the fact that there would have been no investment vehicle on earth paying out a guaranteed 1 year 6% return at that time because of how low interest rates were, this looks like another piece of evidence that McAlpine was simply finding ways to bilk money out of Heatley to invest elsewhere for his own purposes.

With the reporting that's out there now, I would guess that Heatley probably will end up being awarded about half of what he's looking for. Whether McAlpine (who was decertified as an agent by the NHLPA a while ago) is good for it is another story.

McAlpine was also Chris Phillips' longtime agent who Phillips dumped about 18 months ago for JP Barrie (Alfie and Heatley's current agent) right before he re-signed his latest deal with the Sens. I'm guessing the stuff with Heatley is just the tip of iceberg for McAlpine.

DefenseMinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 12:29 PM
trobby

Quote:

No one is applauding McAlpine and co. for what he's potentially done.

It's about getting what you are owed. Heatley is no less innocent then his former agent. Heatley signed a contract to perform a service with the Ottawa Senators. By holding a gun to the organization, he forced his way out of town, and left the owner holding a $4 million dollar bag of poop.

What goes around, comes around.
In some cases Heatley deserved what he got.

trobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 12:54 PM
Legend Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLOVEkubasTUBA View Post
No one is applauding McAlpine and co. for what he's potentially done.

It's about getting what you are owed. Heatley is no less innocent then his former agent. Heatley signed a contract to perform a service with the Ottawa Senators. By holding a gun to the organization, he forced his way out of town, and left the owner holding a $4 million dollar bag of poop.What goes around, comes around.
In some cases Heatley deserved what he got.
You mean using the NTC that he and the team agreed to? Thats the entire point of a NTC, so you dont get traded to a place you dont want to play. How many times have we seen them "handcuff" a team?? If teams still put them in contracts they cant complain afterwords...

So using the NTC that the team willingly gave him(as well as having a 4M bonus on a certain date) means he should be swindled by a greasy agent and lose millions of dollars over??

Makes sense now.............

Old
08-19-2012, 01:06 PM
Ohhh Franco

I wish nothing but horrible things for Dany Heatley. Sometimes bad things happen to bad people and this guy has had his fair share of bad things happen, so.......

Ohhh Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 01:47 PM
Apaharn

Quote:

The opposite of love is not hate - it is indifference.

Apaharn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 03:53 PM
trobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend Killer View Post
You mean using the NTC that he and the team agreed to? Thats the entire point of a NTC, so you dont get traded to a place you dont want to play. How many times have we seen them "handcuff" a team?? If teams still put them in contracts they cant complain afterwords...

So using the NTC that the team willingly gave him(as well as having a 4M bonus on a certain date) means he should be swindled by a greasy agent and lose millions of dollars over??

Makes sense now.............
So you're saying the Management gave him the NMC so that he could turn it around onto the club to one day hold them hostage?
Most players sign those deals because they want to stay in the organization. Heatley used the NMC to leverage his way out of town because he was being asked to play a team game and hustle.

Don't turn this discussion into something that's it's not.
Heatley is just as greasy as his former agent.

Last edited by trobby: 08-19-2012 at 04:00 PM.
trobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 03:56 PM
M4TR1X
HFB Partner

When I first read the article I chuckled but this doesn't make me happy. Yes I dislike Heatley for the trade request and the ruckus he caused for my favourite team, but him losing some pocket change means nothing to me as a fan.

The only bad thing to come to Heatley that would make me happy is if his contract was bought out and he never played in the league again.

M4TR1X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 04:11 PM
Gil Gunderson

Quote:

Him wanting out is reason enough to hate him, and then the way handle it makes it 100x worse.
Didn't even go to Spezza's wedding. horrible person.
What about Turris?

Or people here wanting Rick Nash?

Gil Gunderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 04:22 PM
Legend Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLOVEkubasTUBA View Post
So you're saying the Management gave him the NMC so that he could turn it around onto the club to one day hold them hostage?
Most players sign those deals because they want to stay in the organization. Heatley used the NMC to leverage his way out of town because he was being asked to play a team game and hustle.

Don't turn this discussion into something that's it's not.
Heatley is just as greasy as his former agent.
Players that sign long term deals without a NTC risk getting dealt to a team they dont want to play for(think Carter to Columbus--his NTC couldnt kick in until his UFA yrs I believe)

Teams that sign players to deals risk getting held "hostage" by the player. Sometimes by the player not wanting to leave(think Redden, Kaberle, Sundin, etc) and sometimes the teams get stuck trading a player to the team he wants to play for(think Heatley, Nash etc)

In both scenarios, one party is risking something.

Old
08-19-2012, 04:24 PM
RedWhiteBlackGold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Gunderson View Post
What about Turris?

Or people here wanting Rick Nash?
Not sure how you can use Nash as an example since he didn't request a trade and used his NTC accordingly.

08-19-2012, 04:26 PM
Legend Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWhiteBlackGold View Post
Not sure how you can use Nash as an example since he didn't request a trade and used his NTC accordingly.
Nash didnt request a trade?