WHL
Stransky, Matej (Saskatoon)
Troock, Branden (Seattle)
Winther, Mike (Prince Albert)

NCAA
Guptill, Alex (Michigan) Opens season on Thur., 10/11, vs. RIT
McKenzie, Curtis (Miami) Opens season on Fri.,10/12, vs. Colgate
Winkler, Scott (Colorado College) Opens season on Fri.,10/12, vs. Clarkson
Shore, Devin (Maine) Opens season on Fri.,10/12, vs. Notre Dame @ Ice Breaker Tournament
Sinitsyn, Dmitry (UMass-Lowell) Opens season on Fri.,10/12, vs. Vermont

Sweden
Bystrom, Ludwig (MODO)
Klingberg, John (Skellefteå AIK)
Molin, Emil (Brynäs)

Finland
Jokipakka, Jyrki (Ilves)
Kiviaho, Henri (KalPa)
Lindell, Esa (Jokerit)

Last edited by BigG44: 10-07-2012 at 10:25 PM.
Old
08-10-2012, 06:51 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
KalPa played their first pre-season game today, and this is what the official site had to say about Kiviaho:

Quote:
Practice match, the team deserves a special mention junior department, who redeemed them well up to expectations. Goalkeeper Henri Kiviaho played one or two little unfortunate situation with the exception of a safe and a good match.
I can't find actual stats other than the final score (KalPa won 2-1) so I don't know if Kiviaho played the whole game.

MODO lost, and Bystrom didn't show up on the scoresheet.

EDIT: I was able to figure out Kiviaho played the entire game ... FYI ... Swedish is much easier to follow in Google Translate than Finnish.

Last edited by BigG44: 08-10-2012 at 07:15 PM.
Old
08-11-2012, 09:35 AM
BigG44

This will probably never be confirmed, but quite a few Spit fans think that Jack Campbell was one of the players involved in the investigation that led to Windsor being fined $400K and losing several high draft picks for recruitment violations.

Two players are at the center of the issue, but the OHL didn't name them. No media people are naming names or guessing, but they are speculating it's American's who previously intended on going to the NCAA.

I'd say Campbell would be a pretty good guess at this point. I wonder what was higher .... Jack Cambell's signing bonus with Dallas or the potential bribe's paid to the unnamed players. Campbell only get's $90K a year from Dallas in signing bonuses.

Old
08-11-2012, 12:51 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
This will probably never be confirmed, but quite a few Spit fans think that Jack Campbell was one of the players involved in the investigation that led to Windsor being fined $400K and losing several high draft picks for recruitment violations.

Two players are at the center of the issue, but the OHL didn't name them. No media people are naming names or guessing, but they are speculating it's American's who previously intended on going to the NCAA.

I'd say Campbell would be a pretty good guess at this point. I wonder what was higher .... Jack Cambell's signing bonus with Dallas or the potential bribe's paid to the unnamed players. Campbell only get's $90K a year from Dallas in signing bonuses.
Is there a chance he unknowingly took part, or would he have had to have known? I'm not really clear on what exactly was offered and how that all works.

Old
08-11-2012, 09:20 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Is there a chance he unknowingly took part, or would he have had to have known? I'm not really clear on what exactly was offered and how that all works.
From what I can tell, no one is reporting what exactly happened. The only known facts are that it was a recruiting violation, it happen some time after 2009, and it was 2 incidents (meaning two players).

Since it's recruiting, you're likely looking at a player that wasn't planning on coming to the OHL. They made a last second decision to join Windsor ... that's why Campbell is a top choice for being one of the players. He was committed to Michigan until just before the draft. Dallas played no part in his decision to go to Windsor. That choice was made before the draft.

The incident is tied to some sort of payment ... either cash or benefits. Big signing bonus have always been rumored but never proven. Apparently in this instance ... they have proof.

Old
08-11-2012, 09:27 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
From what I can tell, no one is reporting what exactly happened. The only known facts are that it was a recruiting violation, it happen some time after 2009, and it was 2 incidents (meaning two players).

Since it's recruiting, you're likely looking at a player that wasn't planning on coming to the OHL. They made a last second decision to join Windsor ... that's why Campbell is a top choice for being one of the players. He was committed to Michigan until just before the draft. Dallas played no part in his decision to go to Windsor. That choice was made before the draft.

The incident is tied to some sort of payment ... either cash or benefits. Big signing bonus have always been rumored but never proven. Apparently in this instance ... they have proof.
Sounds like Vail, Fowler, and Campbell are the 3 being look at. Vail was going the NCAA route until right after the OHL draft, and Fowler and Campbell are obvious.

Old
08-12-2012, 11:43 PM
Krishna

vCash: 50
Can you guys give me any info on Alex Chiasson?

Old
08-13-2012, 12:02 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Can you guys give me any info on Alex Chiasson?
He'll have a shot at earning a roster spot in the NHL, but he's mostly likely headed to Texas.

His competition probably boils down to Wandell, Garbutt, Secviour, Fraser, Glennie, and Reilly Smith.

There are basically 3 spots open for 1 game day spot. The most likely scenario IMO is the team has no issue with Wandell, Garbutt, and Sceviour rotating healthy scratches for the final game day spot.

They won't keep Chiasson, Fraser, Glennie, and Reilly Smith in a situation where they aren't playing every game. In addition, I don't think those guys are going to earn 4th line minutes either. That means they have to likely push Brenden Morrow or Tomas Vincour to 4th line.

It's a long, hard road to the NHL for him to start the year, but I wouldn't call it impossible.

Still ... if the season starts on time, my money is on him not starting in the NHL. He'll get Top 6 minutes plus PP and PK time with Texas.

If you're looking for a scouting report, he's a big winger that shored up previous issues with his skating. He's more of a playmaker than a goal scorer, and he's possibly Dallas' most polished two-way prospect.

This feels like it could be a fantasy keeper league question so I'll add that IMO he is an ideal complement to Jamie Benn and Loui Eriksson. His playmaking skills would be huge for that line. Plus, he can help Benn with faceoffs. His upside is pretty significant, and he's Dallas best forward prospect at this point IMO. I think he'll make some small impact at the NHL level this season, but he should be a regular by next season.

At this point ... I could see him replacing Jagr next season and two of the other guys I mentioned replacing Ryder and Morrow. I'm honestly more excited about 2013-14 for the Dallas Stars than I am 2012-13.

Old
08-13-2012, 11:54 PM
BigG44

Troy Vance starts training camp with Victoriaville on Wednesday. On ice stuff starts for P.E.I. tomorrow, but Maxime Lagace is still with Team Canada in the Canada-Russia Challenge. That ends tomorrow though with a final game. Most expect Lagace to backup Subban in this game.

Old
08-14-2012, 07:35 PM
BigG44

Emil Molin must not have suffered a serious injury at the Swedish camp. He's already back practicing with his team, and he played in a pre-season game.

Old
08-18-2012, 06:32 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Jokerit play their first real pre-season game today, against Adler Mannheim in hte European Trphy. Lindell is playing with Ossi Väänänen on the first pairing.

Old
08-18-2012, 12:31 PM
BigG44

In KalPa's opening game, Henri Kiviaho backed up Juha Toivonen. Kiviaho didn't get any action, and the team lost 5-1. From the live reports, it seems like Toivonen made several big saves, but he was ultimately overwhelmed by poor play of the team in front of him.

Emil Molin was given 3 stars (seems to be NHL's equivalent of first star of the game) despite not registering a point in the 4-2 win for Brynäs. I'm going to look for a game article to see how he did.

Old
08-18-2012, 12:47 PM
BigG44

This is an older article about Emil Molin from May.

I just found it now, and it says he signed a 2 year contract with Brynas. He's planning on playing those 2 years because he doesn't feel like he's close to the NHL yet. He wants to establish himself as a player in the SEL first.

Old
08-18-2012, 07:16 PM
BigG44

Based on the game updates, Lindell had a good, active game. He had several shots, and he caught the crossbar once.

He didn't get on the score sheet in the loss (well ... one holding penalty), but he did enough to earn 1 star for the game (Pretty sure this is equivalent to NHL's 3rd star of the game).

Old
08-18-2012, 07:23 PM
BigG44

I believe this quote is from the head coach, but he is talking about Lindell and another young defender for sure:

Quote:
-Both excellent game, and we are really pleased with it. It has been known all along that we have a team of good young players. They seemed, that were able to take responsibility for the position offered, Lämsä praised.
That was from the official website. They also had this to say about Lindell's performance:

Quote:
Joker shirt defender Esa Lindell made ​​his debut men's hockey team. He played the captain Ossi Väänänen as a couple and also received overwhelming time. Lindell had a one good place to finish the second round, but did not quite succeed in finishing. Even in the third, he hit the crossbar when Jokerit sought frantically lead paint.

Old
08-19-2012, 12:00 AM
Captain Awesome

vCash: 500
I think the Stars should move him, humans have an aversion to lead paint and should avoid being on teams that frantically search for it.

Old
08-19-2012, 12:03 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
I think the Stars should move him, humans have an aversion to lead paint and should avoid being on teams that frantically search for it.
Yea, playing the captain isn't exactly a good showing of character either.

Old
08-19-2012, 06:51 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
I believe this quote is from the head coach, but he is talking about Lindell and another young defender for sure:

That was from the official website. They also had this to say about Lindell's performance:
Lindell was among the "star players" for Jokerit, he got one star while another young defender Petteri Lindbohm got two. I think Mannheim's goalie got the 3 stars.

Old
08-19-2012, 09:44 AM
BigG44

The QMJHL started pre-season games already, but Lagace and Vance haven't played yet.

Old
08-22-2012, 12:43 PM
keslerburrows

Tell me about Radek Faksa. How NHL ready is he. This year? Next year?

Old
08-22-2012, 01:12 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keslerburrows View Post
Tell me about Radek Faksa. How NHL ready is he. This year? Next year?
As long as he has a good/great camp, he'll probably get the 9 game stint and then go back to juniors. With Roy gone, we're gonna need all the help we can get to fill his spot.

I'd be surprised if he's not starting by '13-'14.

Old
08-22-2012, 01:45 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
shift

vCash: 27750
I still think don't think he's going to get thrown immediately into the NHL. The Stars have never done that.

I would expect another year of juniors, another year in the AHL, and then joining the Stars in 14-15.

Old
08-22-2012, 02:45 PM
Fly Like a C5

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
I still think don't think he's going to get thrown immediately into the NHL. The Stars have never done that.

I would expect another year of juniors, another year in the AHL, and then joining the Stars in 14-15.
If he doesn't make the NHL, he's going to have to spend two more seasons in the CHL before he can jump to the AHL. I do agree with you that its unlikely that he spends anytime in the NHL season. He would have to have a spectacular training camp and preseason for the Stars to even consider that.

Old
08-22-2012, 02:48 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
shift

vCash: 27750
I thought that agreement expired. Or at least is up for renegotiation with the new CBA.

Old
08-22-2012, 03:09 PM
Fly Like a C5

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
I thought that agreement expired. Or at least is up for renegotiation with the new CBA.
It's tied to the CBA so it's status for this season is currently unknown. The rule could change, but I think it will remain the same. They didn't bother to change the rule last time they negotiated the CBA and no one seems to have brought it up this time. For now I'm operating under the assumption that the rule will remain in place.

Closed Thread