HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers thoughts

Old
08-19-2012, 02:25 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Rangers thoughts

Quote:
The gulf between the Rangers and unsigned Group II free agent Michael Del Zotto may not be quite as wide as the one separating the NHL and the NHLPA, but we’re told the parties are not close to striking a deal.

Negotiations are expected to intensify over the next couple of weeks between management and the 22-year-old defenseman, who is coming off an entry level deal under which he earned a base of $962,500 per season with an additional $125,000 available in bonuses.

The Blueshirts are believed to be offering a multi-year deal in the neighborhood of $2.2 million to $2.5 million per season to Del Zotto, who faces some urgency given the looming Sept. 15 shutdown of business and the possibility that less will be available under the cap under the next CBA.
Looks like the Rangers and DZ's agent Mark Guy are discussing a 2 year bridge contract. $2.2M-$2.5M is to what Erik Johnson(2 years/$2.2M/$3M/$2.6M AAV in 2010)and Zach Bogosian(2 years/$2M and $3M/$2.5M AAV in 2011)got as bridge contracts.

Quote:
There is scant optimism within the Rangers’ camp that Michael Sauer, sidelined for the duration after being concussed last Dec. 5 on a hit delivered by Dion Phaneuf, will be cleared for a return to duty, even if this season’s opener is delayed by months.

If Sauer, said to be feeling better than he was before returning home to Minnesota for the summer but is not believed symptom-free, cannot play, he would be placed on the long-term injury list.
The Rangers aren't very optimistic they will have Sauer in their line-up. David Perron missed almost 13 months with his concussion. David Roberts of the Orioles missed 13 months returning from a concussion. January is 13 months for Sauer.

Quote:
Derek Stepan, Ryan McDonagh, Carl Hagelin and Del Zotto (if signed) all would require waivers in order to be assigned to the AHL Whale in the event of a lockout, if the NHL and NHLPA operate under the guidelines that were in place in 2004-05 .
Players such as Eric Staal,Patrice Bergeron and Nathan Horton played in the AHL during the lockout. They were in the 2nd year of their ELC's in 2004-05.

Chris Kreider will play in the AHL if there is a lockout. He is waiver exempt.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_...fS7XMofEFXE2NO

Last edited by RangerBoy: 08-19-2012 at 06:13 AM.
RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 03:33 AM
Zil

The bad news on Sauer makes signing Rozsival to a short-term deal sound very appealing.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 05:35 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
The bad news on Sauer makes signing Rozsival to a short-term deal sound very appealing.
I would rather have signed Hannan or Bryan Allen.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 05:59 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Lundqvist View Post
I wouldn't. Although Rozsival is older he has shown he can do well in NY, still knows a few guys from the team, and may come cheaper then both the above. I think they are great alternatives but I would take Rozy over them.

08-19-2012, 06:40 AM
eco's bones

Roszival would have to take a huge pay cut. Sign him in the range of $1 to $1.5 mil for 1 year--then fine--otherwise forget it. He's not as good as Sauer who is signed at $1.25 mil. Rangers might think there are better options as well.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 07:10 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The Rangers don't seem to be in a rush to find another D. They probably believe there won't be hockey played before January. Judging by how the NHL has conducted themselves in the CBA talks,the Rangers are correct. There will be a lockout.

Old
08-19-2012, 08:58 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Looks like the Rangers and DZ's agent Mark Guy are discussing a 2 year bridge contract. $2.2M-$2.5M is to what Erik Johnson(2 years/$2.2M/$3M/$2.6M AAV in 2010)and Zach Bogosian(2 years/$2M and $3M/$2.5M AAV in 2011)got as bridge contracts.

The Rangers aren't very optimistic they will have Sauer in their line-up. David Perron missed almost 13 months with his concussion. David Roberts of the Orioles missed 13 months returning from a concussion. January is 13 months for Sauer.

Players such as Eric Staal,Patrice Bergeron and Nathan Horton played in the AHL during the lockout. They were in the 2nd year of their ELC's in 2004-05.

Chris Kreider will play in the AHL if there is a lockout. He is waiver exempt.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_...fS7XMofEFXE2NO
If Kreider plays in the AHL during a lockout, does it burn a year off of his ELC?

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 09:19 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

I'm pretty sure lockout or not all player contracts will advance one year. (Could be wrong though, not 100% sure)

Which would (shocker!) really screw the Rangers.

08-19-2012, 09:21 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
I'm pretty sure lockout or not all player contracts will advance one year. (Could be wrong though, not 100% sure)

Which would (shocker!) really screw the Rangers.

Nope. If there's a lockout, contracts remain as they are. For example, the Canes wouldn't have to re-sign Semin.

Now if the season starts late, say November or December, the contracts roll. Although I won't care cuz I wanna watch ****ing hockey.

Old
08-19-2012, 09:23 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreiders Underwear View Post
Nope. If there's a lockout, contracts remain as they are. For example, the Canes wouldn't have to re-sign Semin.

Now if the season starts late, say November or December, the contracts roll. Although I won't care cuz I wanna watch ****ing hockey.
Thanks for clearing that up, wasn't sure.

HatTrick Swayze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 09:26 AM
tsipka

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Lundqvist View Post
Hannan signed in Nashville

tsipka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 09:26 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Thanks for clearing that up, wasn't sure.
No problem. Only thing I wanna know is if we want Kreider and some of the young guys to play in the AHL so they can continue to grow into the professional game, does it burn a year off of their ELC... That would be such ********.

Old
08-19-2012, 09:29 AM
tsipka

Quote:

I thought contracts do continue as if there was a season. Im not sure how ELCs work, but Semin will have to sign a new deal if there is a lockout.

Old
08-19-2012, 09:29 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsipka View Post
I thought contracts do continue as if there was a season. Im not sure how ELCs work, but Semin will have to sign a new deal if there is a lockout.
Just looked it up. You're right. That's ****ing horse ****.

Old
08-19-2012, 09:39 AM
tsipka

Its not like it affects the rangers any differently than other teams. I would be pissed if I was Carolina and Semin decided to play somewhere else if there is a full year lock out

Old
08-19-2012, 09:42 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Its not like it affects the rangers any differently than other teams. I would be pissed if I was Carolina and Semin decided to play somewhere else if there is a full year lock out
It puts all of our players one year closer to FA without having played any hockey. It's ********. Basically, Kreider would have one year left on his ELC after having played no NHL regular season games in his career. What kind of league is this?

Old
08-19-2012, 09:50 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
It definitely impacts us more than 90% of the teams in the league. So much of our roster is on cost-controlled contracts (ELCs and 2nd contracts). Using a year would be huge.

That has way more of an impact on Carolina/Semin. It's not like they still have to pay him $7M, and he is not a part of their long term future regardless.

Old
08-19-2012, 10:16 AM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Quote:
It puts all of our players one year closer to FA without having played any hockey. It's ********. Basically, Kreider would have one year left on his ELC after having played no NHL regular season games in his career. What kind of league is this?

The kind that has three lockouts in 15 years... usually coinciding with a big year prior, where revenues, profits and popularity are at an all time high... this way the damage done can be the most severe to the league and the game.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 10:35 AM
tsipka

Quote:
It definitely impacts us more than 90% of the teams in the league. So much of our roster is on cost-controlled contracts (ELCs and 2nd contracts). Using a year would be huge.

That has way more of an impact on Carolina/Semin. It's not like they still have to pay him $7M, and he is not a part of their long term future regardless.
ELCs for ATL division:

NYI 4
NYR 4
NJD 3
PHI 4
PIT 0

I dont feel like going through other teams or looking for second contracts, but in terms of ELCs the rangers are not far ahead.

Old
08-19-2012, 10:45 AM
tsipka

Quote:
Dont forget the rangers chose to burn an ELC year by throwing him into the playoffs. Granted he did impress, but was it worth it?

Old
08-19-2012, 10:45 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
ELCs for ATL division:

NYI 4
NYR 4
NJD 3
PHI 4
PIT 0

I dont feel like going through other teams or looking for second contracts, but in terms of ELCs the rangers are not far ahead.
Look at who the Rangers have to resign in 2013 (Stepan, Hagelin, McD, Sauer) and 2014 (Gabby, Callahan, Girardi, Lundqvist, Kreider, Boyle). It is pretty clear a tough choice or two is gonna have to be made; and losing this year when they have everyone would really hurt.

Old
08-19-2012, 10:50 AM
tsipka

Quote:
Look at who the Rangers have to resign in 2013 (Stepan, Hagelin, McD, Sauer) and 2014 (Gabby, Callahan, Girardi, Lundqvist, Kreider, Boyle). It is pretty clear a tough choice or two is gonna have to be made; and losing this year when they have everyone would really hurt.
I guess we have to live with this stuff. The devils lost a year to the lockout where they were contenders and Marty was in his prime. They still would've had Neidermeyer and Stevens as well.

Old
08-19-2012, 10:51 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Kreider's contract doesn't slide. He is 21. Slide rules are 18 and 19 year olds who don't play 10 NHL games that season.

Old
08-19-2012, 10:52 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Dont forget the rangers chose to burn an ELC year by throwing him into the playoffs. Granted he did impress, but was it worth it?
I don't care about a year. I care about two years. He'll have one year left having played no games.

Old
08-19-2012, 10:55 AM
tsipka

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Kreider's contract doesn't slide. He is 21. Slide rules are 18 and 19 year olds who don't play 10 NHL games that season.
If this is true...

Quote:
I don't care about a year. I care about two years. He'll have one year left having played no games.
then there you have it