HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Paul Ranger signs with Toronto Marlies

Old
08-18-2012, 08:39 PM
IdealisticSniper

vCash: 500
Paul Ranger signs with Toronto Marlies

Saw someone post a tweet saying he had a one year deal in place with the Marlies to be announced later.

Shouldn't we still own his rights considering he walked on us while still under contract? And I woul hope of he's trying to make a comeback he would come to the Lightning first otherwise that's pretty dick.

Last edited by TheDaysOf 04: 08-20-2012 at 11:29 PM. Reason: added prefix
IdealisticSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 09:05 PM
X0X0A0
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 423
His rights expired July 1st but it would be a real ****** move by him if we wanted to re-sign him after he abandoned his team.

X0X0A0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 09:17 PM
LoSTRaMaiR

Saw someone else posted on here, I thought they said something about coaching. Whether he is back to hockey or not, all I ever wanted was some kind of explanation. Besides his contract, he can do whatever he wants. But he just left and we never learned why (as far as I know)

LoSTRaMaiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 09:27 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

The tweet is from Dan Shrader a writer for the prospect site Future Considerations.
Quote:
Heard Paul Ranger and the Toronto Marlies have a one year deal in place, wont be announced til later this month. #supposedly
He doesn't seem so confident in what he heard.

Ranger is a free agent now
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/ran...ree-agency-ope

I remember one of BP, Damian Cristodero, or Erik Erlendsson saying we no longer hold his rights anymore for some reason back in the beginning of the summer, but I can't find it. I'll keep looking.

Old
08-18-2012, 10:40 PM
shello
@WShello9

Yea just logged in to post this thread, I hope its true frankly, was a big fan of his. To be honest I'm not sure if he'll ever get back to his old form for being away for so long, I hope he does though

shello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 10:49 PM
TBLHoser

If it's true and he didn't give the Lightning a chance to resign him first or trade him, I don't have any respect for the guy. Don't know the background story and may never find out, but that's just my opinion based on what's been reported over the years.

TBLHoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 10:51 PM
shello
@WShello9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucLight View Post
If it's true and he didn't give the Lightning a chance to resign him first or trade him, I don't have any respect for the guy. Don't know the background story and may never find out, but that's just my opinion based on what's been reported over the years.
He had personal issues to take care of, and I also heard he didn't think the pro hockey life (pun intended) was for him. If im not mistaken a guy on the Leafs in the early 2000's retired because he was scared to fly.

Old
08-18-2012, 10:54 PM
TBLHoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by shello View Post
He had personal issues to take care of, and I also heard he didn't think the pro hockey life (pun intended) was for him. If im not mistaken a guy on the Leafs in the early 2000's retired because he was scared to fly.
Right now, all I see is a guy that waits for the Lightning to relinquish his rights so he can play for a team that he wants to play for. Since we don't really know what really went on, this is purely speculation, but I personally would like an explanation if it's true.

TBLHoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 11:00 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

Quote:
Right now, all I see is a guy that waits for the Lightning to relinquish his rights so he can play for a team that he wants to play for. Since we don't really know what really went on, this is purely speculation, but I personally would like an explanation if it's true.
Yeah it is weird that (assuming) he returns to the game right after we lose his rights. I would definitely like for there to be some loyalty to the team here's been with his whole career, but who knows what's actually happening. When it was clear he wasn't returning Yzerman said he wanted to work with Ranger even if that meant he wanted a fresh start somewhere else. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Hopefully some light can be shed on this in the upcoming days.

TheDaysOf 04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 11:11 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by shello View Post
Unless there was someone else that sounds like Jeff O'Neill back in 2007. He had some other issues as well though, such as his brothers death the day before the last lockout ended, that killed his drive to play.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 11:45 PM
bassassin

Dick move if true.

bassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 07:37 AM
ThunderAlleyNomad

Hoping he can make it back, even if it's not with the Bolts. If it is true though, I hope he gets seriously smoked and pounded everytime he plays against the Crunch/Bolts.

Hmm. Crunch Bolts. I see cereal merchandising.

ThunderAlleyNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 09:04 AM
smitty10

I don't think it's a dick move by him. Clearly he had personal issues and signing with the Marlies allows him to stay close to home more of the time, spend time with his family and continue his hockey career. Being 2500km away from home isn't for everyone. Although I don't know the situation behind why he left, it would make sense that someone who has just gone through personal issues would rather stay at home than play in another country.

I don't think anyone here could say that if they had personal issues and wanted to be closer to family that they'd go back to their former employer on the other side of the continent to be courteous, when they would be unhappy doing so. Toronto is close to home for him and signing with the Marlies will allow him to play pro hockey again. Nothing wrong with that.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 09:24 AM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
I don't think it's a dick move by him. Clearly he had personal issues and signing with the Marlies allows him to stay close to home more of the time, spend time with his family and continue his hockey career. Being 2500km away from home isn't for everyone. Although I don't know the situation behind why he left, it would make sense that someone who has just gone through personal issues would rather stay at home than play in another country.

I don't think anyone here could say that if they had personal issues and wanted to be closer to family that they'd go back to their former employer on the other side of the continent to be courteous, when they would be unhappy doing so. Toronto is close to home for him and signing with the Marlies will allow him to play pro hockey again. Nothing wrong with that.
Says the Toronto fan.

IdealisticSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 09:26 AM
X0X0A0
Sons of Pirates

Quote:

I'd go back to my former employer, definitely. If I signed a contract and then abandoned my team I would never consider waiting 3 years for my rights to expire and then sign with another team without atleast offering to go back to my original team. If he did that and Yzerman said no (which isn't out of the question considering I wouldn't trade any of our defensemen for Paul Ranger now) I wish him well but if not I hope he has a meeting with Gudas next year.

Old
08-19-2012, 09:30 AM
PoundCake
Go Bolts!

Quote:

I agree, but you really can't expect Lightning fans to not be at least a little annoyed. If the situations were reversed leaf fans would feel the same way.

PoundCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 09:46 AM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
Says the Toronto fan.
He's not signed to the Maple Leafs, but to the Marlies. If anything I find it annoying that a 27 year old who's been out of hockey for 3 years is taking a spot away from a Leafs prospect when he's not there on an NHL contract. He's not Leafs property.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patilevski View Post
I'd go back to my former employer, definitely. If I signed a contract and then abandoned my team I would never consider waiting 3 years for my rights to expire and then sign with another team without atleast offering to go back to my original team. If he did that and Yzerman said no (which isn't out of the question considering I wouldn't trade any of our defensemen for Paul Ranger now) I wish him well but if not I hope he has a meeting with Gudas next year.
If you were uncomfortable living away from your family and home you wouldn't work with a company 2500km away from your home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoundCake View Post
I agree, but you really can't expect Lightning fans to not be at least a little annoyed. If the situations were reversed leaf fans would feel the same way.
He's not signed with the Leafs. He's signed to a Toronto farm team so he can be close to home. He's not likely to play for the Maple Leafs, unless he has an absolutely exceptional showing in the AHL and earns a contract (and we're at 49 or 50).

Old
08-19-2012, 09:55 AM
PoundCake
Go Bolts!

Quote:
He's not signed with the Leafs. He's signed to a Toronto farm team so he can be close to home. He's not likely to play for the Maple Leafs, unless he has an absolutely exceptional showing in the AHL and earns a contract (and we're at 49 or 50).
My point was that if (for example) Phil Kessel decided to quite hockey for personal reasons, and then 3 years later came back but signed with the Syracuse Crunch, Toronto fans would probably have a pretty similar reaction as Lightning fans.

If that happened as a Tampa fan of course I'd be happy. He wouldn't be under contract with the Lightning, but we would have the inside track at signing him once he's NHL ready. Don't act like this doesn't benefit the Leafs at all.

I'm glad he's decided to play hockey again, but it is a little frustrating as a Tampa fan. I wish him the best regardless.

Old
08-19-2012, 09:57 AM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoundCake View Post
My point was that if (for example) Phil Kessel decided to quite hockey for personal reasons, and then 3 years later came back but signed with the Syracuse Crunch, Toronto fans would probably have a pretty similar reaction as Lightning fans.

If that happened as a Tampa fan of course I'd be happy. He wouldn't be under contract with the Lightning, but we would have the inside track at signing him once he's NHL ready. Don't act like this doesn't benefit the Leafs at all.

I'm glad he's decided to play hockey again, but it is a little frustrating as a Tampa fan. I wish him the best regardless.
I know what you're saying, but looking at it from a human perspective, it's easy to understand his situation. And comparing him to Kessel is quite a long shot. It'd be like Carl Gunnarsson leaving the Leafs and going to Tampa 3 years later.

Old
08-19-2012, 10:03 AM
X0X0A0
Sons of Pirates

Quote:

If you were uncomfortable living away from your family and home you wouldn't work with a company 2500km away from your home.
If I were that uncomfortable living away from home I wouldn't have signed a long term contract but if I did I would feel immense guilt to my teammates and orginization and re-sign with them if they indeed still wanted me.

Old
08-19-2012, 10:19 AM
PoundCake
Go Bolts!

Quote:
I know what you're saying, but looking at it from a human perspective, it's easy to understand his situation.
No Tampa fans are demanding he be shipped back to Florida, stuffed in a Bolt's uni, and be forced to play for the Lightning. We're just annoyed at the situation, as any fanbase would be. I can appreciate that he would have reasons for wanting to play in Toronto instead of Tampa, but it's still frustrating.

Quote:
And comparing him to Kessel is quite a long shot. It'd be like Carl Gunnarsson leaving the Leafs and going to Tampa 3 years later.
Being players of equal calibre isn't really necessary in this comparison.

It's interesting that you imply Kessel doing the same would be different. Does the "human perspective" not apply to him to?

Old
08-19-2012, 10:29 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Quote:

Then you request a trade to be closer to home while you're under contract to the team, not "retire" until the point that they no longer retain your rights. That should ALWAYS be the last alternative even well after going to the press to bring up wanting a trade. Nobody knows what was going on in his life that led to him taking those years off from play, but if it was something as simple as wanting to be closer to home I'm sure Tampa could have accommodated him.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 11:29 AM
shello
@WShello9

Quote:
I see that too but the thing is we don't know the personal issues or anything about it, i'll agree with you that it's odd that he decides to come back right after we lost his rights, but if his whole intention all along was to leave Tampa (which i highly doubt) he would've just asked for a trade. Either way I was a big fan of his, will continue being and wish him the best of luck if its true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Unless there was someone else that sounds like Jeff O'Neill back in 2007. He had some other issues as well though, such as his brothers death the day before the last lockout ended, that killed his drive to play.
Thats who it is, yes! Just asked on the Leafs board too

Old
08-19-2012, 12:55 PM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

Who cares, I hope it goes well for him

Vasilevskiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 01:07 PM
Hockeyfan02

The franchise moved on from Ranger a long time ago so it doesn't really bother me. If he had personal matters to work through then it's not my place to judge his reasons for leaving the team at the time. He and Yzerman have talked in the past so the scenario of him going elsewhere may have come up if he wanted to play hockey again. I don't see the need to hold a grudge against him.

Hockeyfan02 is offline   Reply With Quote