HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Enough Already: Fixing the NHL in 5 easy steps

Old
08-19-2012, 02:39 AM
Coatsy79

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evaBlue View Post
You seem to be forgetting that you're comparing baseball and football to hockey. Why not just start up a national cricket league in the States, since that's where all the money is? How about waterpolo, or handball? I don't believe you can popularize the game that much just by forcing it down people's throats. How are the MLS (the most popular sport on the world) revenues doing when compared to baseball or football?

So even if Nashville or Phoenix business owners may have tons of cash, and the city could support one more sports team, it doesn't mean that their populations will actually buy the tickets. Heck, even in LA, they have to offer "family deals" (4 drinks + hot dogs + parking + tickets for $99) in order to sell their tickets.

If the NHL wants to expand, Europe would be the most logical destination financially, not the States.
I couldn't agree more, better to have a couple of teams in Sweden, Finland, Germany etc than in Florida or Phoenix

Coatsy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 08:14 AM
Joey Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Tucker View Post
Phoenix im iffy on. They draw well when they win
There are 30 teams in the league with pretty good parity. Relying on being among the best in order to just have financial stability isn't a good business model.

Joey Hoser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 08:30 AM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evaBlue View Post
You seem to be forgetting that you're comparing baseball and football to hockey. Why not just start up a national cricket league in the States, since that's where all the money is? How about waterpolo, or handball? I don't believe you can popularize the game that much just by forcing it down people's throats. How are the MLS (the most popular sport on the world) revenues doing when compared to baseball or football?

So even if Nashville or Phoenix business owners may have tons of cash, and the city could support one more sports team, it doesn't mean that their populations will actually buy the tickets. Heck, even in LA, they have to offer "family deals" (4 drinks + hot dogs + parking + tickets for $99) in order to sell their tickets.

If the NHL wants to expand, Europe would be the most logical destination financially, not the States.
Probably the most ignored piece of the puzzle IMO. For decades now the NHL has increasingly produced an inferior product in an attempt to sway new fans - while ignoring their core fans. A good product sells itself. You can force feed me a terrible product all you want, I'm still unlikely to buy.

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 08:52 AM
TieClark

I agree with everything in article except the last point. You need a cap in any pro sports... without it the league loses parity and without parity a league can never run smoothly and sustain health. MLB is a joke, NBA is a joke... keep a hard cap and possibly look into something like the NHLPA's offer of buying cap space off of teams.. that would still have to have a limit though and can only last for 1 year or so at a time.

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 09:36 AM
Mojo19
He's Big, He's Bald

Maximum player salary should be $5 million per year.
Owners and executives should get no more than $5 million personal income per year.

The lion's share of NHL team profits should go to the city community (ie: sports facilities and equipment for people to be more active, community events/festivals, funding for public school systems, funding for healthcare efforts, etc).

Mojo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 09:39 AM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Make all contracts non guaranteed and eliminate the salary cap. Big trade off, that way any player from a 4th liner to a $10 million a year star can be cut with no repercussions when they do not perform, like the rest of us. Do a poor job and your fired. I have always hated how there are a million things to raise players salaries with inflation yet there is nothing the owners have to protect themselves from the Scott Gomez' of the world.

Woodman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 09:50 AM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
Make all contracts non guaranteed and eliminate the salary cap. Big trade off, that way any player from a 4th liner to a $10 million a year star can be cut with no repercussions when they do not perform, like the rest of us. Do a poor job and your fired. I have always hated how there are a million things to raise players salaries with inflation yet there is nothing the owners have to protect themselves from the Scott Gomez' of the world.
That's crap... why should the owners need to protect themselves from Scott Gomez type situations? If you want to avoid those situations, don't sign those retarded contracts.

Guaranteed contracts are a must... you cannot play a physical sport where you are being hit constantly while going 100km an hour and have no security if you're injured and cannot perform.

Old
08-19-2012, 10:11 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

So some options being discussed here:

No player rights.
No guaranteed contracts.
Hard cap.
Maximum length contracts (irrelevant if no guarantees).

Let's add:

Could probably do away with the pension plan.
Eliminate player's health care.
Halt any per diem.
No pay while injured.
One coach per team.
Two assistant coaches per team.
Standard $200k per year GM's salary.
Maximum ticket price across board, say $50 per ticket. Family packs (4 tickets, pop and dog) for $99, like in some of the arena's for 25% of seats.
Maximum league revenue, anything above that is put into local tax revenue.

Actually, the League should own all teams, have a structed pay structure like say the banks, where you get a cost of living adjustment where your salary won't cover living expenses.

Eliminating individual owners and all players rights would allow the league to make decisions based purely on the good of the league.

He was the Leafs' leading scorer in the 196364, 196667 and 196970 seasons, and the team's top goal scorer in 197071 and 197273. Keon was considered one of the fastest skaters in the NHL, and one of the best defensive forwards of his era.[3] He would usually play against the opposing team's top centre, and developed a reputation for neutralizing some of the league's top scorers. In 197071, he scored eight shorthanded goals, setting an NHL record.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 10:15 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Scrap Bettman

Which teams do HFboarders believe will never be successful in the NHL? Scrap/Relocate them (Phoenix/Florida)

Increase the salary cap/decrease the floor and find a common ground on a revenue sharing model that will be good for both sides but whose ultimate goal will be to grow the game in places with potential. Teams with money will continue to spend but they'll also help support teams in flux in hopes those teams in flux one day dig themselves out of the gutter (I liken the Pitts. Pirates to the NY Islanders). Give teams like the Isles and Devils a timeline to try and cut a profit before the teams helping sustain them announce enough is enough (unless of course owners decide it's better for the NHL to keep these teams running at a deficit than not running at all)

Protect the owners from themselves. Cap max contracts at a % point both sides think is fair (13-14% imo).

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 10:20 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
So some options being discussed here:
I agree, the hate players are getting is sickening. Without them, there's the AHL and the Owners are without their toys (NHL clubs).

Their both equally at fault and both equally responsible for finding a solution. Picking sides far to one side or the other is silly. Bettman is the only outlier, **** him and his bargaining tactics

Old
08-19-2012, 10:26 AM
Budsfan

This Line sums it all up.

Quote:
My deal would be win-win for players and owners, and the biggest win of all? An end to fans being played for suckers.

Budsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 10:27 AM
BudMaster17
Gap Inspector

Nhlpa should create their own league where the nhlpa owns and operates the league. That would assure no more lock outs to begin with and lower ticket prices as it cuts out the greedy billionaire owners.

BudMaster17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 10:31 AM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudMaster17 View Post
Nhlpa should create their own league where the nhlpa owns and operates the league. That would assure no more lock outs to begin with and lower ticket prices as it cuts out the greedy billionaire owners.
And who is going to pay the players? Where will they play? Who will pay for all of the other costs incurred to run a league/team?

Old
08-19-2012, 10:43 AM
LeafsRReady

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
And who is going to pay the players? Where will they play? Who will pay for all of the other costs incurred to run a league/team?
Exactly. Currently the players are not true partners in that they have very little risk and assume no liabilities. They may want to own a franchise in Toronto with all the associated profits, but I'm not so sure about them wanting to "own" franchises in places like Phoenix, Florida etc.

LeafsRReady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 10:50 AM
middletoe
Why am I me?

This article is more joke than serious I think. If more serious than joke then it's horrible.

middletoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 10:52 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

My fixes:

2% drop in players share of HRR. But, all teams still pay the 2% to revenue sharing, and money distributed to teams in need.

4 year ELC with a sliding scale of pay based on NHL games played. 5 year contract limit on 2nd contracts. No contract limits on UFA deals.

Move 2 teams in crap markets to Quebec city and Markham or Hamilton or TO. The revenue sharing money currently given to those 2 teams go to current small market teams.

Focus on fixing the Islanders in NY. It's 2 big of a market to ignore.

Most importantly, make cap hits to closer reflect actual salary.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 10:59 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsRReady View Post
Exactly. Currently the players are not true partners in that they have very little risk and assume no liabilities. They may want to own a franchise in Toronto with all the associated profits, but I'm not so sure about them wanting to "own" franchises in places like Phoenix, Florida etc.
I keep hearing that players assume no financial risk but do people forget they put their body on the line and risk their well-being everytime they lace them up? True partnerships don't include sides point fingers, making excuses for one another, and asking for the pity of others. Throw that type of thinking out the window if you're going to reach a resolution with your 'partner'. If the owners were incurring such great risks then why on earth are they so keen on owning NHL franchises anyway (Phoenix being the only one nobody wants to touch with someone elses pole). After all, they likely acquired the bulk of their wealth being savvy Capitalists.

Old
08-19-2012, 11:11 AM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Does anyone think its any coincidence that the best sporting league in the world in terms of stability is the NFL, where the players were bent over twice and have nothing even close to what NHL players get. When the entire league is guaranteed to earn huge profits then everyone can truly play on an equal level and market its product.

Woodman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 11:19 AM
TieClark

Quote:
Does anyone think its any coincidence that the best sporting league in the world in terms of stability is the NFL, where the players were bent over twice and have nothing even close to what NHL players get. When the entire league is guaranteed to earn huge profits then everyone can truly play on an equal level and market its product.
NFL is the most successful league in NA because of a huge TV contract and gambling. Nothing to do with their CBA

Old
08-19-2012, 11:25 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
The NFL's CBA has an estimated value of 12-16 billion dollars per year. The NHL's is worth ___? I'm guessing NFL players earn more than NHL players and the reason for that is that the NFL is a much more profitable business than the NHL. Main reason for that is the American market which the NHL is trying to tap into. It just won't succeed in Phoenix and Florida (imo). Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm fairly new to the subject and don't have much experience but that's just how my feeble mind sees it. There are so many factors involved it's easy to lose track

Old
08-19-2012, 11:36 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Ask retired NFL players if they got a fair deal. Especially the ones who got hurt in their first 4 years.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 02:38 PM
4evaBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke meat pete View Post
Ask retired NFL players if they got a fair deal. Especially the ones who got hurt in their first 4 years.
I bet they make more in those 4 years than most shmucks do in a lifetime earning an "honest" living. The fact that they can't live out their lives in the most expensive neighborhoods of Hollywood, driving around their Bentleys leaves me pretty indifferent for their financial welfare.

4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 03:18 PM
AtotheT
Sick, Wicked & Nazty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
Players paid in alcohol (Premium lagers to stars, Lakeport to the scrubs - Sponsored by The Beer Store)
Players play on backyard rinks owned and operated by the members of the NHLPA's mothers (alternate bi-weekly so its fair - free juice boxes and homemade apple pies during intermission)
Other costs? I did mention beer, i'll think of that when im not so drunk.

Oh yeah, all games will be streamed on justin.tv -- broadcasted in standard definition courtesy of Sony Handycam's.

AtotheT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 04:12 PM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

Teams already have huge financial incentives to go deep in the playoffs.

Fenix Rises 2026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 08:19 PM
Alexander Baigle

I still love the idea of retracting the league to 28 teams and moving two teams up north. The draft resulting from the retraction would be great for my team. Any of Tavares, Huberdeau, Gudbranson in Toronto... jesus.

Alexander Baigle is offline   Reply With Quote