HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Malkin two years before UFA

Old
08-19-2012, 02:38 AM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Malkin isn't the type of person who wants or desires the attention and spotlight, if anything being with Sid, quite possibly the only player in the entire league who could keep the spotlight off Geno, is the ideal spot for him.

Pittsburgh is pretty much the only place where he could go, play top line minutes, perform in an outstanding fashion, and not have to be the face of the franchise. Not that he would struggle if that was the case, but that simply isn't the guy that he is.

He's putting together one of the all time great careers, he loves the city and the organization, the organization and city love him, everything fits like a glove. His personality is also that of someone who I doubt would want to go through needing to come into a new team, establish new friendships etc now that he has found his comfortable spot here. He'll be paid whatever he wants. There's really zero reason for him to be moving, the reasons people do put forward really don't take Geno into account at all, but rather what they think Geno should want.

Pens fans read all this same crap years ago, Geno will demand to go to another team where he can be the face of the team or he will bolt to Russia blah blah blah, even funnier today than it was then.

Hell after announcing the new Crosby deal, Geno said something along the lines of "I hope they sign me too". That really sums Malkin up perfectly. He's not sitting there thinking he can take a spot on the Pens for granted and maybe explore free agency, he's sitting there hoping the Pens want to retain him.

Last edited by Morozov: 08-19-2012 at 02:45 AM.
Morozov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 03:29 AM
Human
cynic

vCash: 500
the Pens will offer around 104,4 mill which is Cosby's money, the contract maybe being structured differently since Geno is a tad older. something like 10x10 makes sense, depending on the new CBA of course.

Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 03:54 AM
Kshahdoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
Wow you must be a really big Malkin fan then
Lol, there is no team in the league which would trade Malkin for Stamkos and Hedman. Stamkos is great, but he's not on Geno's level. And Hedman hasn't actually proved anything yet...

Kshahdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 04:05 AM
BOLD MacT Trade
GoldMoldisMacTBold

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kshahdoo View Post
Lol, there is no team in the league which would trade Malkin for Stamkos and Hedman. Stamkos is great, but he's not on Geno's level. And Hedman hasn't actually proved anything yet...
Are you serious? Stamkos alone is close in value, he is the best pure goal scorer in the league today. Add Hedman into the equation and Pittsburg would have to add in a trade IMO.

BOLD MacT Trade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 05:26 AM
Imlach a cup

He won't resign. Myers, Hodgson, and the entire 2013 draft. Let's make it happen.

Imlach a cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 06:06 AM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imlach a cup View Post
He won't resign. Myers, Hodgson, and the entire 2013 draft. Let's make it happen.
He definitely won't resign, I'm sure all Pens fans will agree with you.

Morozov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 06:56 AM
Flat Stanley

People are actually talking about this? Hm.

Quote:
"I hope they sign me, too," he said. His contract runs one year longer than that of Crosby and Staal.

"I want to stay in Pittsburgh. I like Penguins hockey, the Penguins organization and the fans."
Jordan Staal left because he wanted a top 6 role and he wanted to play with his brother, money had nothing to do with it.

Malkin said he won't make more than Crosby, they both make $8.7M, they will both probably remain at $8.7M, Penguins can afford it because they already can, why won't they in the future with extra cap space?

Also, Malkin has said he's happy being 2C next to Crosby, Malkin says Crosby's better than him, regardless of what people think, Malkin is actually happy with what he's doing, he's a top 6 center, making good money on a good team, it's not just him saying the right things, you can tell that he genuinely likes Pittsburgh. He likes that it's not too big of a city compared to other places and his parents actually want to move here with him at some point.

Flat Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 09:19 AM
SheasRebellion6

I would like him to leave. He said he has interest in returning to Russia to play in the KHL in 5-10 years.

SheasRebellion6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 09:47 AM
lornloxor
Bylsmaed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheasRebellion6 View Post
I would like him to leave. He said he has interest in returning to Russia to play in the KHL in 5-10 years.
You would like arguably the world's best hockey player to leave the NHL?

Last edited by ThirdManIn: 08-19-2012 at 11:45 AM. Reason: getting personal
lornloxor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 10:23 AM
tsipka

Parise said all the right things too.

tsipka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 10:26 AM
Blitzburgh87*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOilersDynasty2012 View Post
Are you serious? Stamkos alone is close in value, he is the best pure goal scorer in the league today. Add Hedman into the equation and Pittsburg would have to add in a trade IMO.
Nope still not close. He has multiple art Ross trophies,a Hart,Conn smythe,etc. Stamkos has?...

Blitzburgh87* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 11:04 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsipka View Post
Parise said all the right things too.
Any superstar could conceivably leave any team.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 11:08 AM
Zbynek

LOL @ people gauging Malkin's value.

He has the highest value of any player in the league. There is no trade proposal that matches his value.

Take it from Shero himself:

Quote:
Seems as if someone always has you trading away Malkin.

Well if that ever happened, we’re not going to get the best player in the deal. We’ve already got the best player. This summer, when we were kicking around the idea of Geno playing winger, I texted him about it. He was somewhere in Europe at the time, but he texted me right back. I didn’t know what he was going to say, like, “Are you guys nuts? I want out of here. I’m a center!” But the first thing he replied was, “What does coach think?” He’s a great kid and a great teammate. When someone says something about Evgeni, I mean *points up to the rafters at CONSOL Energy Center*, there’s the Stanley Cup banner.”
People here have literally no grasp of Malkin's personality or his situation with the Penguins organization. Comparisons to Staal and Parise are laughable at best.

Zbynek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 11:08 AM
TheRollingPuck
Keep Calm & Corsi On

Why would Malkin want to leave, again?

TheRollingPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 11:10 AM
Freeptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpar View Post
So, it makes him three-time best point getter, right?
Sure: two times in the regular season plus one time in the post-season

Freeptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 11:16 AM
Til the End of Time

its just funny to hear the majority of pens fans talk at great length about why staal would want to stay in pittsburgh, get blindsided by him suddenly wanting out, and now these very same fans speak so confidently about malkin undoubtedly staying in pittsburgh.

Til the End of Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 11:23 AM
TheRollingPuck
Keep Calm & Corsi On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time View Post
its just funny to hear the majority of pens fans talk at great length about why staal would want to stay in pittsburgh, get blindsided by him suddenly wanting out, and now these very same fans speak so confidently about malkin undoubtedly staying in pittsburgh.
Most Pens were aware of the potential of Staal leaving. In fact, it was discussed at great length in numerous threads. I suggest you give them a read.

Old
08-19-2012, 11:26 AM
Til the End of Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superunknown94 View Post
Most Pens were aware of the potential of Staal leaving. In fact, it was discussed at great length in numerous threads. I suggest you give them a read.
why dont you go ahead and point them out for me. most threads on the pens board prior to this offseason talked about staal remaining with the pens, as i recall.

Old
08-19-2012, 11:29 AM
Zbynek

Quote:
why dont you go ahead and point them out for me. most threads on the pens board prior to this offseason talked about staal remaining with the pens, as i recall.
You recall incorrectly. Many posters on the Pens board were calling for Staal to be traded, even before the rumors broke that he wanted to go to Carolina.

Conversely, there has never been any serious talk of Malkin being traded.

Zbynek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 11:31 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Quote:
We were always aware of Staal leaving, especially with a year left on his deal. Staal wouldn't have stayed unless he was moved up and seeing as we had Malkin-Crosby as a 1/2 punch that wasn't going to happen.

Malkin is happy here so much so that his parents are moving over to live here I believe from Magnitogorsk. He has a relationship with the fans and will sign on a long-term contract.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 11:32 AM
TheRollingPuck
Keep Calm & Corsi On

Quote:
Naw. I know you're capable of finding those threads and digging up some quotes for me. You could even look in threads prior to this offseason!

Old
08-19-2012, 11:34 AM
Til the End of Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
We were always aware of Staal leaving, especially with a year left on his deal. Staal wouldn't have stayed unless he was moved up and seeing as we had Malkin-Crosby as a 1/2 punch that wasn't going to happen.

Malkin is happy here so much so that his parents are moving over to live here I believe from Magnitogorsk. He has a relationship with the fans and will sign on a long-term contract.
this is my problem. i dont see how you can be so confident. things change, especially when huge money is potentially involved.

i certainly hope you are right though.

Old
08-19-2012, 11:40 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Quote:
this is my problem. i dont see how you can be so confident. things change, especially when huge money is potentially involved.

i certainly hope you are right though.
I'm confident because we know Malkin enjoys it here and why would he leave when he as a fantastic shot at winning the cup here?

Everyone likes him here and I've not heard any rumours of him wanting to go elsewhere?

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 11:45 AM
blankall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Any superstar could conceivably leave any team.
This.

Doesn't matter what Malkin is saying. He is a professional. Of course he is going to speak highly of his current team and fans. No one knows what's actually going on in his head and what his plan is. Even if he genuinely plans to stay now, he may change his mind.

Also players will often stay they plan to stay to drive their value up. They want teams to have to pry them out with more money.

blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 11:46 AM
Til the End of Time

here is a nice thread from back in april this year talking about staal and his future with the penguins. there were definitely some people saying that he should possibly be traded, but there were also a lot of people saying that he would remain a penguin.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1173157

Quote:
I have not seen any serious source say that he is unhappy.
Quote:
I just don't buy the fact that he's unhappy with his role. Staal is 2nd on the team in the playoffs in TOI. He's actually getting 10 more seconds than Sid.
Quote:
Staal is a 3rd line center on the line-up sheet only. He gets as many minutes as any 2nd line center.. And while his wingers may only be above-average 3rd liners and not legit 2nd liners, the fact that Staal matches up against the opposition's 3rd d-pairing should offset any potential lack of skill on his wings.
all from just the first page of that thread. my point is that staal was a company guy for the duration of his time in pittsburgh, and gave no indication that he wanted to be elsewhere until he rejected that pens offer and was traded a few days later.

malkin similarly has been the consumate team player, and said all the right things. but ill believe it when he actually signs. more talk about this is really just going around in circles.