HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Keaton Ellerby to the wings?

Old
08-19-2012, 10:12 AM
newfy

vCash: 500
Keaton Ellerby to the wings?

http://www.rantsports.com/florida-pa...eaton-ellerby/

Havent seen any talk about this but Twitter is heating up about it a bit lately.

Depending on the price I would really like to see the wings pick up Ellerby. Hes a massive (6'4") 22 year old defenseman that plays with an edge and has a lot of upside. He was a 10th overall pick in 2007. This would give us a solid bottom pairing tough d man that could potentially be top 4 in the future. He played some PK last season as a call up as well. He would give the wings Kronwall, Smith and Ellerby all making sure that opposing forwards keep their heads up at all times. Hes also a really good fighter but doesnt fight much

It sems like he is a guy that could be used to clear some of the log jam at forward, and also give the wings some defensive depth for this season, as well as building for the future.

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 10:16 AM
Human Thumb*

i wouldn't mind acquiring him

Human Thumb* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 10:27 AM
Frk It
#FireHolland

I would be a big fan of picking him up, even though I don't think hell ever become the player people expected him to be.

Frk It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 10:31 AM
Kronwalled55
Eatin' your hats

It would be a good move, but I just don't believe Detroit is actually interested. It's been getting tougher for me to buy into these rumor based sites nowadays.

Kronwalled55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 10:35 AM
joe89

I thought Ellerby was a bust.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 10:42 AM
Human Thumb*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronwalled55 View Post
It would be a good move, but I just don't believe Detroit is actually interested. It's been getting tougher for me to buy into these rumor based sites nowadays.
doesn't look like a rumor based site

looking at this thread, it seems that he'll probably be their 7th d-man. i don't think he would cost much in a trade, maybe a bottom 6er, decent prospect or pick?

Human Thumb* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 11:20 AM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Good ol' Alberta boy, get er done.

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 11:29 AM
Konnan511
#Loyalty

Send a message via AIM to Konnan511
Tatar and a pick? I assume they want youth and no salary back?

Konnan511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 11:34 AM
Marky9er

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
Perfect Brad Stuart replacement in that case?

Marky9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 11:43 AM
Frk It
#FireHolland

You can pretty much guarantee the rumors that the two sides are talking is true, because it says the Wings are trying to lowball the Panthers hahahahaha. Oh, how predictable you are Kenny.

Frk It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 11:49 AM
newfy

Quote:
Well Kinda. He was taken high as a shut down dman, he is good defensively and tough but doesnt have a tonne of offense. He still has oslid top 4 potential though
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugh View Post
doesn't look like a rumor based site

looking at this thread, it seems that he'll probably be their 7th d-man. i don't think he would cost much in a trade, maybe a bottom 6er, decent prospect or pick?
He would be their 7th dman because they have a lot of vets signed. I think Ellerby would play here over Kindl.

Old
08-19-2012, 12:41 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
http://www.rantsports.com/florida-pa...eaton-ellerby/

Havent seen any talk about this but Twitter is heating up about it a bit lately.

Depending on the price I would really like to see the wings pick up Ellerby. Hes a massive (6'4") 22 year old defenseman that plays with an edge and has a lot of upside. He was a 10th overall pick in 2007. This would give us a solid bottom pairing tough d man that could potentially be top 4 in the future. He played some PK last season as a call up as well. He would give the wings Kronwall, Smith and Ellerby all making sure that opposing forwards keep their heads up at all times. Hes also a really good fighter but doesnt fight much

It sems like he is a guy that could be used to clear some of the log jam at forward, and also give the wings some defensive depth for this season, as well as building for the future.

WTF is rant sports? If this is a rumor, where is it rumored? Is there a legit source reporting the rumor?
If you want to post speculation, fine. But there's a difference between a legit rumor and what this seems to be.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 12:49 PM
VladTheImpaler
Go Wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frk It View Post
You can pretty much guarantee the rumors that the two sides are talking is true, because it says the Wings are trying to lowball the Panthers hahahahaha. Oh, how predictable you are Kenny.
I lol'd when I read this too. I really hope not offering fair market value isn't becoming our reputation among opposing GM's and free agents.

VladTheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 01:02 PM
FabricDetails

What did Kenny offer? Just Emmerton? Haha.

Emmerton and Matthias, the top two Red Wings picks of 2006, would be on the same team. Just not the Red Wings. Not that I'm complaining or anything of course.

FabricDetails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 01:54 PM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
WTF is rant sports? If this is a rumor, where is it rumored? Is there a legit source reporting the rumor?
If you want to post speculation, fine. But there's a difference between a legit rumor and what this seems to be.
Its a panthers writer, and if you search ellerby on twitter a few things come up saying the wings are talking about him.

They only have 6 dmen signed, too many forwards and could use a shut down type dman that is tough. Hes 6'4 and still very young, also a lot of panther fans think he will be moved by the start of the season because he has to clear waivers.

I'm sure the wings have inquired about him at the very least

Old
08-19-2012, 02:19 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
I like this move quite a bit. It is a little more long term upside. Kindl, Smith, and Ellerby fight out for the fifth and sixth spot with my assumption Ellerby and Kindl will rotate until injuries or an outright win takes place. We will control Ellerby's rights for a little while see if we can get a once promising pick turned around. This is probably better than what is out there and a bottom six winger maybe throwing in a mid-round pick should get it done. The way I understand it the Panthers believe they have to move him before the season so this is probably a good place to look. I am curious who they would want back as they have quite a few depth options as well.

The Zetterberg Era is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 02:34 PM
WesNichols14

vCash: 505
there is no way in hell i would give up Jurco for him. more like Emmerton and Tatar. or like Tatar and a 4th

WesNichols14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 02:38 PM
FabricDetails

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesnichols14 View Post
there is no way in hell i would give up Jurco for him. more like Emmerton and Tatar. or like Tatar and a 4th
Tatar? His price would command that much?

FabricDetails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 02:46 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by FabricDetails View Post
Tatar? His price would command that much?
This, I would be surprised if that is the asking price.

The Panthers are probably one of the few teams that isn't super interested in prospects, they are already loaded there. The only reason I could see a Tatar type being asked for is for them to flip for Bobby Lou. I am not all that interested in trading Tatar for him but Ellerby was a high draft pick so I don't know how much value Tallon places on him. Emmerton and a third for me is better than sending Tatar for Ellerby straight up. I wouldn't toss a single pick on top of Tatar if that was the asking price I would probably ask for a mid-rounder to come with. Ellerby has to be moved or be exposed to waivers that dictates a similiar player back. Emmerton was once thought to have a high ceiling but hasn't lived up to an even worse degree than Ellerby so we throw in the mid-round pick. Not a high value prospect, that doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

The Zetterberg Era is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 02:57 PM
jfrank21

It seems like people really undervalue Tatar. I always see his name tossed around as a throw in or the piece going back for some depth scrub player. It's really starting to get annoying...the guy is only 21, has played on Slovakia's WC squad twice so far, performed well at this years (looked like he belonged against some of the best players), had a phenominal end to his AHL season and plays with a fire and drive a few of our more comfortable vets could use. Stop acting like he is some has-been who has more value as a piece to bring in a 7th dman than as a solid future building block for THIS team!

jfrank21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 03:49 PM
rx7dryver

Excluding Smith, Tatar is the Wing's most "nhl ready" prospect.

rx7dryver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 04:19 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
Well Kinda. He was taken high as a shut down dman, he is good defensively and tough but doesnt have a tonne of offense. He still has oslid top 4 potential though

He would be their 7th dman because they have a lot of vets signed. I think Ellerby would play here over Kindl.
I guess Ellerby has top4 potential in the same sense that Kindl has top4 potential? Ellerby 116 nhl games. Kindl 106 nhl games. Both spread over three years and both were a 7th D last season. Both were also first rounders so there should be untapped potential somewhere.

Anyway, an equally valueable piece/prospect in our system would be something like Andersson, not Tatar. Tatar is a top5 prospect, you don't dish those away for guys like Ellerby.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 04:38 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Do we need spare parts so badly that we'd give up a guy who projects to be a more useful player as early as this season? It's not like Ellerby is NHL-proven. He hasn't forced his way into their lineup. Tatar would be an overpayment.

I think a 2nd or even 3rd round pick might be appropriate value for him. We're talking about a project DEFENSIVE defenseman who has been a minus in virtually every season he's played since he started in the CHL while also providing almost no offense. He scored 6 goals in his entire CHL career. Not only that, but he hasn't shown the ability to put up points at the AHL level either, meaning he could bring almost negative offense at the NHL level. His greatest accomplishment at this point is putting up 12 points in 54 games two seasons ago, which prorates to 18 points in 82 games. He regressed the next year, putting up 5 points in 40 games. No goals.

So here's the checklist:

is he good offensively? Absolutely not. Brendan Smith nearly had more points in 3 years of college than Ellerby has had in the CHL, AHL, and NHL combined. If Smith had made it 4, it wouldn't be close.

is he good defensively? It's doubtful. While you could say he was playing shutdown minutes in the CHL, and perhaps even the AHL, he has been a liability at the NHL level, where he was certainly not in that role. The team has also shown a lack of confidence in him by using him as an AHL/NHL tweener for the last couple of years.

is he tough? He seems to have had a bit of that in the CHL, but his PIM totals have declined steeply since then. He hovered in the 30-50 PIM range in the AHL and has been even lower in the NHL. His longest season, 54 games, saw him put up a measly 22 PIM.

Given all of that, what's the point, really? Yes, scouts thought he had huge potential, but he hasn't shown anything. What makes anybody think he's going to show anything now?

Guru Meditation is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 04:40 PM
MBauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rx7dryver View Post
Excluding Smith, Tatar is the Wing's most "nhl ready" prospect.
gustav nyquist.

MBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 04:41 PM
newfy

Quote:
I guess Ellerby has top4 potential in the same sense that Kindl has top4 potential? Ellerby 116 nhl games. Kindl 106 nhl games. Both spread over three years and both were a 7th D last season. Both were also first rounders so there should be untapped potential somewhere.

Anyway, an equally valueable piece/prospect in our system would be something like Andersson, not Tatar. Tatar is a top5 prospect, you don't dish those away for guys like Ellerby.
Kindl's two years older and still hasnt fully cracked the lineup. 2 years ago Ellerby put up the same points that Kindl did this year as a 25 year old and Ellerby isnt even an offensive dman. Hes also thrown quite a few huge hits in his limited NHL time.

Ellerby is definitely an upgrade for now and the future over Kindl