HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off-season Armchair GM Thread Part IX

Old
08-18-2012, 05:18 PM
CommanderShepard15
Eberle=Clutch

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohosaregood View Post
What I meant is that it's a relatively mild concern, especially compared to other teams. We don't have a gaping hole in goal(which is much argued among the fans) or on defense. Our top-6 has shown the ability to be one of the best in the last few years, even if it kind of sucked last year. I'll admit that the 3rd line is a concern but compared to some other teams, we're in pretty good shape.
Id argue that if we had a better goalie, people wouldnt be calling us pretenders instead of contenders.

Also we seem to be missing AN ENTIRE ****ING 3RD LINE!

CommanderShepard15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 07:59 PM
MadmanSJ
Know Your Onion!

Personally, I'd feel a lot better if we had upgrades for Clowe and Murray.

MadmanSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 07:59 PM
WTFetus
Most popular

I wouldn't have minded trading Murray and signing Hannan for 1 mil. Guess Vandermeer could still be an option (again, only if they trade Murray).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadmanSJ View Post
Personally, I'd feel a lot better if we had upgrades for Clowe and Murray.
Demers, Braun, and Stuart are all upgrades.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 08:18 PM
MadmanSJ
Know Your Onion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
I wouldn't have minded trading Murray and signing Hannan for 1 mil. Guess Vandermeer could still be an option (again, only if they trade Murray).

Demers, Braun, and Stuart are all upgrades.
I.E. other players not named Murray and Clowe

MadmanSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 10:21 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
I'd rather have Hannan at $1M as our #7 and an asset instead of Murray at $2.5M as our #7, but I'm sure Hannan wanted assurance that he'd be in the lineup everyday, and we wouldn't be able to give him that.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 12:34 AM
FeedingFrenzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
I'd rather have Hannan at $1M as our #7 and an asset instead of Murray at $2.5M as our #7, but I'm sure Hannan wanted assurance that he'd be in the lineup everyday, and we wouldn't be able to give him that.

I would tend to believe most teams dont WANT to pay their #7 dman 2.5 mil. But in this case I think your nuts. Hannan is overthehill in so many ways. I 'd take Murray 7 days a week than bring back Hannan. Why not bring Ozolinsh back to? He could be had for a million..

FeedingFrenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 12:52 AM
WTFetus
Most popular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedingFrenzy View Post

I would tend to believe most teams dont WANT to pay their #7 dman 2.5 mil. But in this case I think your nuts. Hannan is overthehill in so many ways. I 'd take Murray 7 days a week than bring back Hannan. Why not bring Ozolinsh back to? He could be had for a million..
Jux is a girl.

In all seriousness, the Sharks would gain some assets trading Murray. And I think McLellan would be more willing to use Hannan as a 7th instead of Murray. I just want Braun and Demers to be regulars in the line-up.

If Johnson and Robinson have full control of the d-core, I don't think I'll have a problem. They said they like speed from the blue-line, and Murray is the complete opposite of speed.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 12:57 AM
Kitten Mittons

Lol has Doan signed yet?

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 02:04 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:

That's why I said 7th defenseman. Obviously Hannan isn't close to what he was in his old SJ glory days, but I'd prefer him at his cap hit to Murray at this point. Actually, I'd prefer using Pelech or Irwin or Acolatse as the #7, but we tend not to do that.

Quote:
Jux is a girl.
I'm too young to have made the "Marry me Scotty" signs, but who didn't have a crush on Hannan? Be honest guys.

Old
08-19-2012, 02:38 AM
NWShark*

Quote:
Dude it's hard to take you seriously when you suggest a player like hannan.. he's frickin awful at this point in his career. He had a few good years under sutter and RW but he's been bad forever. Horrible passer, no shot and his skating isn't that great anymore. I would rather have colin white back than bring in hannan. Vandemeer is significantly better as a 7th D.

NWShark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 02:41 AM
NWShark*

Quote:
That's why I said 7th defenseman. Obviously Hannan isn't close to what he was in his old SJ glory days, but I'd prefer him at his cap hit to Murray at this point. Actually, I'd prefer using Pelech or Irwin or Acolatse as the #7, but we tend not to do that.

I'm too young to have made the "Marry me Scotty" signs, but who didn't have a crush on Hannan? Be honest guys.
Ok yes I agree would rather see pelech or another prospect rotating in and out for some time in the 3rd pair. I would rather they develop a young D to see what they have then sign or trade for a vet by christmas if needed...

Old
08-19-2012, 08:38 AM
FeedingFrenzy

Quote:
Jux is a girl.

In all seriousness, the Sharks would gain some assets trading Murray. And I think McLellan would be more willing to use Hannan as a 7th instead of Murray. I just want Braun and Demers to be regulars in the line-up.

If Johnson and Robinson have full control of the d-core, I don't think I'll have a problem.
They said they like speed from the blue-line, and Murray is the complete opposite of speed.
Bingo!! My sentiments exactly. I really am excited to see what Larry has in store for our D. Hoping that the Todd has very little input with who actually plays on D.
@Jux-Trading Murray for assets is pretty much the consensus around here but for the love of JT,no Hannan plz!!

FeedingFrenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 10:11 AM
VP and GM
Havlat is gone!

Ok, off season changes appear to be completed. Lets say they are (i really hope not).

Does anyone think that the changes to date will result in a better PK and overall lessening of team shots against and GA moving forward? If so, is this enough to say the the team becomes a more defensive oriented (and less offensive given the lack of depth and speed!) team... If so, does this make us a better and or more competitive team/cup contender...

VP and GM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 11:17 AM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by VP and GM View Post
Ok, off season changes appear to be completed. Lets say they are (i really hope not).

Does anyone think that the changes to date will result in a better PK and overall lessening of team shots against and GA moving forward? If so, is this enough to say the the team becomes a more defensive oriented (and less offensive given the lack of depth and speed!) team... If so, does this make us a better and or more competitive team/cup contender...
- I definitely see us being a better PK unit with the addition of the new coaching.

- Our top-6 is the same as last year. Assuming Havlat's health and availability over more games we have a better top-6.

- Our defense got better with the subtraction of White and addition of Stuart. Plus having new experienced coaches helps as well.

- The bottom-6 got worse with the loss of Moore and Winnik. Despite the addition of Burish I really do not like the fact that we are going to get very little scoring from the bottom-6.

The bottom-6 is a valid concern. More so in the playoffs (which I expect we make). Unless we get some unexpected surprises from Worcester (Oleksuk, etc.) and/or a trade acquisition to bolster the bottom-6, I do not expect us to go far in the playoffs.

08-19-2012, 12:08 PM
EastBayShark

vCash: 895
I think our top 6 can compete with almost any team, and our PP can compete with almost any team.

Our PK will be better with the addition of the new coaches, and defense will be better with the new coaches and Staurt.

As for the bottom 6...Burish will help. Sheppard is a wild card...who knows, he may be a great addition. I personally think that we will be just as or more competitive than we were last season, but the coaches will have no choice but to make an acquisition by the TDL.

EastBayShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 01:07 PM
do0glas

I am officially turning my optimism on.

Full years for wingels/desjardins in a designated third line role will automatically make our bottom six better i think. when the top guy of our bottom had 24 pts last year, i think its hard to argue that we could be worse off. we have speed/possession/and aggression in our bottom six minus handzus.

top six is a toss up for me. obviously better with a healthy havlat, but how do they utilize pavelski? do they like him at wing better now? should be interesting, but i think we improve here barring injury.

defense is a no brain. c. white out of the line up. demers/murray as a rotating 7D most likely...just based off of last year. but could just as easily be braun instead. we have the option to bench all 7 D and be able to put braun/demers out in offensive minutes to generate scoring chances against stubborn defensive teams, but we should see more of murray on that third pairing as a stay at home for the younger braun/demers. which is what i would suggest. stuart looks to be a very reliable D that can really knock the stuffing out of some people and wont hinder his line offensively. couple all of that with a settled burns and a top notch defensive coach, you have a winner here.

personally i believe our biggest weakness is in the net. niemi has to fix some things, i would realistically have greiss in net to start the season and see how he handles it. if greiss looks like the second coming and is taking his oppurtunity well great. if not, well it was the beginning of the season and we can build on it. will that happen? probably not. so for now, ill just hope the defensive scheme changes and we start giving up the neutral zone less and stop allowing so many shots through traffic. our tentativeness killed us last season.

overall im happy, i think when you have a failure like we did with the talent we had, its easy to turnover the whole team, but in retrospect i think DW did the right thing here. he had his targets (nash, doan) and when they didnt work out, he kept the team the same. yes, we lack some quickness. i do not think we lack speed as a team. they are different things. we move the puck with speed and generally make the smart play. our forwards with the puck on their stick besides havlat and to some extent marleau (rarely shows it) are not quick. the speed of play will make up for that, and im hoping we go in day 1 with the right combination in our top six.

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 01:12 PM
EastBayShark

vCash: 895
Does anyone know when Stalock will start to transition onto the NHL roster?

EastBayShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 01:17 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Bingo!! My sentiments exactly. I really am excited to see what Larry has in store for our D. Hoping that the Todd has very little input with who actually plays on D.
@Jux-Trading Murray for assets is pretty much the consensus around here but for the love of JT,no Hannan plz!!
I guess I'm the only nostalgic one around here. I want Sturm back too.

Old
08-19-2012, 02:07 PM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Quote:
Sturm and Havlat on the same team? Oh dear.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 02:25 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
Oh jeez, didn't think of that.

Old
08-19-2012, 03:50 PM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Quote:
Oh jeez, didn't think of that.
One pillow fight could completely wreck the entire offense.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 04:24 PM
JayP812
The Team of Tomorrow

vCash: 455
Quote:
What happened between Sturm and Havlat? Couldn't find anything on google.

JayP812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 04:38 PM
KirbyDots

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayP812 View Post
What happened between Sturm and Havlat? Couldn't find anything on google.
He's referring to the fact that they are both made of glass.

KirbyDots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 05:13 PM
Vavonia

Quote:
Might as well sign Colaiacovo if we're headed in that direction.

Vavonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 06:05 PM
NWShark*

Quote:
Basing personnel decisions on nostalgia is how you turn into the Calgary FLames....