HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Price of Sticks is Getting Ridiculous

Old
08-19-2012, 08:22 AM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

vCash: 500
When does a stick need to be replaced (other than the obviously broken stick)?

I just noticed that the toe of my blade has some chips. The outside black is chipped off and I can see the core material a bit. Is this something I can continue to play with for a while, or is that a sign that the blade will possibly break soon?

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 08:56 AM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownquestion View Post
When does a stick need to be replaced (other than the obviously broken stick)?

I just noticed that the toe of my blade has some chips. The outside black is chipped off and I can see the core material a bit. Is this something I can continue to play with for a while, or is that a sign that the blade will possibly break soon?
You'll have to tape over the toe... if the ref sees the toe of your blade is really torn up he can and will probably force you to stop using the stick. Although personally I'd just tape it and use it until it breaks you could go buy a new stick because it's probably going to snap soon (the blade).

Edit: That is if it's really bad. If it's just a little chip it's no big deal. I'm thinking of my own experience where the toe of my stick was torn to hell

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 09:29 AM
ChrisNI

vCash: 50
Anyone else notice that the new composite sticks don't last as long as they used to despite the technology getting better and them being more expensive?

I got one of the 1st synergys......the silver ones and it lasted me ages, like the guts of a year with only some minor paint chipping.

Now I'm lucky if I get 2/3 months out them.

ChrisNI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 09:35 AM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNI View Post
Anyone else notice that the new composite sticks don't last as long as they used to despite the technology getting better and them being more expensive?

I got one of the 1st synergys......the silver ones and it lasted me ages, like the guts of a year with only some minor paint chipping.

Now I'm lucky if I get 2/3 months out them.
They're far more responsive now but they are more fragile. The lower end sticks last far longer

Old
08-19-2012, 09:48 AM
OpenIceHit42

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBruCrew4 View Post
I have the Nexus 400 and it's actually the lightest sub $100 stick I've found. Step up to the 600 and I bet you'll be happy but without breaking the bank
I'm waiting for my LHS to start carrying the "pro flex" in the 600's, no luck so far.

OpenIceHit42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 09:50 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Get the Easton M5. It's the old ST which is similar to the old Synergy. It's ~$150 and should last forever.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 10:15 AM
howeaboutthat

Whilst stick prices within NA are getting (comparatively) more expensive try buying decent sticks, or even not so decent, in the UK.

Even though we are just across the English Channel/North Sea from a whole continent full of countries that love ice hockey and have well-developed pro and junior/rec ice hockey systems there seems to be a 1 to 1 conversion $/Euro to for hockey kit. That is of course if you can get hold of decent quality sticks to try before you buy rather than over-priced tat, such as the System V sticks that they are fond of in my local hockey store.

The only fairly reasonable priced and decent quality sticks I can get hold of are available once a year at the Nottingham Panthers kit sale and, given that I'm an Anglo-American who learnt the correct way to hold a stick there is plenty of choice of L/H sticks for me, whilst locals fight it out for the few R/H sticks available.

Makes me sad when I visit my folks in MI and see just how much cheaper hockey kit is.

howeaboutthat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 10:29 AM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by howeaboutthat View Post
Whilst stick prices within NA are getting (comparatively) more expensive try buying decent sticks, or even not so decent, in the UK.

Even though we are just across the English Channel/North Sea from a whole continent full of countries that love ice hockey and have well-developed pro and junior/rec ice hockey systems there seems to be a 1 to 1 conversion $/Euro to for hockey kit. That is of course if you can get hold of decent quality sticks to try before you buy rather than over-priced tat, such as the System V sticks that they are fond of in my local hockey store.

The only fairly reasonable priced and decent quality sticks I can get hold of are available once a year at the Nottingham Panthers kit sale and, given that I'm an Anglo-American who learnt the correct way to hold a stick there is plenty of choice of L/H sticks for me, whilst locals fight it out for the few R/H sticks available.

Makes me sad when I visit my folks in MI and see just how much cheaper hockey kit is.
lol what?

Old
08-19-2012, 10:41 AM
howeaboutthat

Most Brits play what is often considered the 'wrong way round'. There are hardly any of the guys I play with who are naturally right handed but play with a L/H stick.

I was chatting to a Canadian who coaches over here and he was telling me he always found it odd how few Brits use L/H shooting sticks. On mainland Europe there is the same sort of 60/70 to 40/30 split left-hand stick to right-hand stick you get in NA but in the UK I'd say, outside of the leagues which have import players, the vast majority of players are right handers who play with a R/H shooting stick.

I'll add though, using the term 'right way to hold a stick' was perhaps a little off, as the right way is the way that is comfortable to the individual. Perhaps 'way that is statistically usual' would have been better.

Going back to my previous post and specifically the bit about my local hockey store, such is the rarity of L/H shooting players in the UK that of the approx forty sticks they had in last time I went in there only 2 were L/H sticks and both were senior sticks, which leads me to think the lack of L/H shooting players may be down to parents thinking "my son is right handed, I'll buy them a right hand stick".

Last edited by howeaboutthat: 08-19-2012 at 10:58 AM.
Old
08-19-2012, 11:22 AM
Playerwinner

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Get the Easton M5. It's the old ST which is similar to the old Synergy. It's ~$150 and should last forever.
I had a blue intermediate ST it lasted 2 full seasons ( practices included), with about 10 games of summer hockey each summer. It was definitely worth the $200 I paid then, when it broke I bought a new black ST and it seems to be holding up really well.

Playerwinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 11:24 AM
kr580

Send a message via AIM to kr580
Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
lol what?
The belief that the coordinated hand should go on top of the stick, which I agree with. Most players where hockey isn't their first sport think "I'm righty, better get a righty stick." While that's not WRONG, it's not always the best for coordination starting out. After awhile using either way it doesn't matter really.

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 12:41 PM
Beezeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr580 View Post
The belief that the coordinated hand should go on top of the stick, which I agree with. Most players where hockey isn't their first sport think "I'm righty, better get a righty stick." While that's not WRONG, it's not always the best for coordination starting out. After awhile using either way it doesn't matter really.

It's the reason why many Americans use RH sticks.

Beezeral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 12:59 PM
TieClark

I've never heard of someone using a RH stick because they're right handed... normally you grab whichever one feels comfortable

Old
08-19-2012, 01:38 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

People will buy them because it's a way to flash their cash...

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 01:48 PM
howeaboutthat

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
People will buy them because it's a way to flash their cash...
From a certain beer league show... clicky

Quote:
guy brings a 400 dollar stick and thinks hes gretzky
alrightboys..first on to break his stick gets $10

Last edited by howeaboutthat: 08-19-2012 at 04:07 PM.
Old
08-19-2012, 02:59 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
From a certain beer league show...
LMFAO !!

I've seen ball hockey players use the new Easton, Ai9.... Even the RBz...

For ball hockey..

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 05:12 PM
Pierre Gotye

It won't be long before skates are $1000, and sticks around $400.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 05:38 PM
rinkrat22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Gotye View Post
It won't be long before skates are $1000, and sticks around $400.
although I get what you're saying, skates last for years if your foot has stopped growing. sticks, not so much.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 06:21 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
I like how that stick falls apart like a Mylec stick from Canadian Tires

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 09:34 PM
Beezeral

Quote:

Absolutely outstanding. Do they still do this?

Beezeral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 11:00 PM
SauceHockey
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
LMFAO !!

I've seen ball hockey players use the new Easton, Ai9.... Even the RBz...

For ball hockey..
Were they about to snap

SauceHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 12:57 AM
lokomotiv15

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
R&D costs, manufacturing costs, higher input costs, inflation in general. Given some of the drastic redesigns you see every couple of years, I wouldn't be surprised if the yield rate was fairly low on certain sticks.
I work at a sports store and cost on the top end Bauer, Easton and Reeboks are about $140-$170. The new CCM is a bit higher, I believe.

Older top-end sticks like the SE16, S17 and S19 range from $72-$91 because they are usually bought in bulk to clear out a manufacturers stock, which is why they can be sold for $119.99-$139.99.

lokomotiv15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 12:59 AM
lokomotiv15

Either way, I can't imagine being a Midget AAA players parents and dropping $250-$300 5 times a year on new twigs. When I was playing Pee-wee AA and into high-school hockey, we mostly still had wood or easton Synergy and Synthesis sticks that lasted forever, then by the time I was playing Junior D/C we had team issue stick and team discount cards so we saved money.

Gotta feel for the 'rents that have to sauce that kinda money nowadays.

lokomotiv15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 01:08 AM
thrillhouse99

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokomotiv15 View Post
Either way, I can't imagine being a Midget AAA players parents and dropping $250-$300 5 times a year on new twigs. When I was playing Pee-wee AA and into high-school hockey, we mostly still had wood or easton Synergy and Synthesis sticks that lasted forever, then by the time I was playing Junior D/C we had team issue stick and team discount cards so we saved money.

Gotta feel for the 'rents that have to sauce that kinda money nowadays.
That's what I've been thinking of. A lot of talented 13 and 14 year olds parents are just regular people, mom works at safeway or whatever and dad is a contractor. How are you paying for sticks and skates with a household pre tax income of $60,000 a year?

I was pokin around that hockey monkey site a couple of days ago, seems like the new high end skates are $900 and the norm is $500, even three packs of high end sticks are $120 each. People must be spending ten grand a year for their kids to play hockey in some cases.

I never thought about it when I was a kid, but it's the kind of thing that makes you look back and say man was I lucky to have parents that could afford to pay for my activities.

thrillhouse99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 10:24 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'd probably buy my kid one good stick per year when he's old enough. Not top of the line, but next level down which might have a bit more durability. If the flex and lie are correct, that's 90% of the battle right there.

If he hits a level that he's snapping sticks, go two-piece and get a durable stick like a Harrow. Good luck breaking those.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote