HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Reborn: Final Fantasy 14 2.0 (Beta Phase 3, No NDA! Server:Gungnir for beta)

Closed Thread

Old
08-19-2012, 12:48 PM
SERE 24
LGR

vCash: 500
Back when the game first came out I built a PC specifically for it because I had tremendous expectations. I still occasionally login to FFXI which is hands down the best MMO that has ever been made. FFXIV, as we all know, was a huge disappointment at launch. I gave it a shot every few months as it's undergone its mini updates and transformations, but the last time I gave it a shot was shortly before the TERA beta. After beta testing Tera and GW2 and being impressed by neither, and still not finding FFXIV up to the standards I'd hoped it would reach, I ultimately sold the PC that I built and now I couldn't play FFXIV if I wanted to... and I do want to. I honestly would love to give it a shot right now and am pumped to see what they give us with 2.0, but the only way that I could give the game another shot is if they manage to get it ported to PS3, because I just can't justify buying another PC for a game that's still a big gamble.

Old
08-19-2012, 12:54 PM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
Back when the game first came out I built a PC specifically for it because I had tremendous expectations. I still occasionally login to FFXI which is hands down the best MMO that has ever been made. FFXIV, as we all know, was a huge disappointment at launch. I gave it a shot every few months as it's undergone its mini updates and transformations, but the last time I gave it a shot was shortly before the TERA beta. After beta testing Tera and GW2 and being impressed by neither, and still not finding FFXIV up to the standards I'd hoped it would reach, I ultimately sold the PC that I built and now I couldn't play FFXIV if I wanted to... and I do want to. I honestly would love to give it a shot right now and am pumped to see what they give us with 2.0, but the only way that I could give the game another shot is if they manage to get it ported to PS3, because I just can't justify buying another PC for a game that's still a big gamble.
PS3 version will release around the same time 2.0 releases, it's going into beta at the same time as PC You can currently preorder the Ps3 version in a whole bunch of stores, so that usually is a sign that they are serious about it this time. They are also working on having the game run better on lower end PCs and higher end PCs, so that might solve your problem too.

As for the game in it's current state, I dunno, after playing it a long time ago when it first launched, I find it in a state currently where I can easily justify the monthly fee while working on my relic weapon, doing AV/CC, primals, story modes, playing with friends, doing hamlets, etc etc. Also allows me to play the current end-of-the-world storyline and finish leveling classes and jobs so I can focus on things like summoner once 2.0 does hit, plus it gave me legacy, so I can't complain

Old
08-19-2012, 12:59 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

definitely jealous of you getting that legacy deal...is there anyway a ps3 user can join the beta? or no luck for that too lol.

I am definitely moving towards of joining this the more i see it.

08-19-2012, 01:03 PM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
definitely jealous of you getting that legacy deal...is there anyway a ps3 user can join the beta? or no luck for that too lol.

I am definitely moving towards of joining this the more i see it.
Uh, don't know if they've done Ps3 beta sign ups yet, but one of the perks of the game is that PC/Ps3 are on the same servers, and you can infact, play your character on either system, just need to buy two copies of the game (which is what most old school FFXI players did at some point).

Old
08-19-2012, 01:05 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus View Post
PS3 version will release around the same time 2.0 releases, it's going into beta at the same time as PC You can currently preorder the Ps3 version in a whole bunch of stores, so that usually is a sign that they are serious about it this time. They are also working on having the game run better on lower end PCs and higher end PCs, so that might solve your problem too.

As for the game in it's current state, I dunno, after playing it a long time ago when it first launched, I find it in a state currently where I can easily justify the monthly fee while working on my relic weapon, doing AV/CC, primals, story modes, playing with friends, doing hamlets, etc etc. Also allows me to play the current end-of-the-world storyline and finish leveling classes and jobs so I can focus on things like summoner once 2.0 does hit, plus it gave me legacy, so I can't complain

The monthly fee I have no problem with. Never had a problem paying for FFXI and I still have tons of optimism that 2.0 will deliver the game I was hoping for at release. It's just building a new machine for it that I can't really justify for now. Maybe if they release some new requirements and I can put it together at a reasonable price or a find a laptop that can run it (since I need a new laptop anyways) without spending a fortune I will consider it. Ideally though, I would just play on PS3. I would gladly pre-order the game to get into the PS3 beta if that's the case, but I haven't heard anything of that sort. I would love to be able to beta test on the PS3 and get a taste of what's coming/fill the FF void in my gaming life.

Old
08-19-2012, 01:14 PM
ColonialsHockey10

My buddy and I were talking about how much fun FFXI was back in its hay-day (summer 2005ish).

I'll never forget the excitement of claiming Argus and getting a peacock charm.

Or having a level 40 as my highest character, random /telling 4 summoners online and going with my paladin friend and getting ourselves Voyager's Sallets before we could even wear them.

If you put the effort in FFXI could give you satisfaction that no other MMO could.

Old
08-19-2012, 01:17 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Uh, don't know if they've done Ps3 beta sign ups yet, but one of the perks of the game is that PC/Ps3 are on the same servers, and you can infact, play your character on either system, just need to buy two copies of the game (which is what most old school FFXI players did at some point).
well i definitely want to give beta a shot so i can get an idea and from the sounds of it I'll definitely be in it now more and more lol.

I have a ps3 so that's what I am sticking with lol

Old
08-19-2012, 02:09 PM
Rpro

I should stop reading this thread. I'm getting the itch to install the game and try it out again. I haven't played it since January...

One thing I really hated was the lack of an Auction House. Those market wards were beyond terrible. I've read that it's much better now but still, why u no give us AH SE!!

Old
08-19-2012, 02:11 PM
Rpro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
My buddy and I were talking about how much fun FFXI was back in its hay-day (summer 2005ish).

I'll never forget the excitement of claiming Argus and getting a peacock charm.

Or having a level 40 as my highest character, random /telling 4 summoners online and going with my paladin friend and getting ourselves Voyager's Sallets before we could even wear them.

If you put the effort in FFXI could give you satisfaction that no other MMO could.
Ya I could imagine lol. Camping that mofo was beyond crazy.

Old
08-19-2012, 02:15 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

yea im now officially looking to see how the hell i can get into the beta lol.

Old
08-19-2012, 03:28 PM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

Oh wow, lots of people have posted

The reason an Auction House hasn't been implemented, along with a lot of other things, is because the game has had a skeleton crew working on it (about 10 people) while Square Enix has pooled everyone else together (including people making FFXI expansions, FFXV and FFXIII Versus) to make this game the best it can be. The game director has even recently stated that telling that skeleton crew of people that all most of their hard work would be deleted or scrapped when 2.0 comes out was one of the hardest things he's ever done.

With that said, it kind of does have an Auction House currently, at the very least a counter you can go to, accessible in any town, that allows you to buy things from it from market ward retainers without having to go visit them.

I'm glad people are getting interested though, it's well worth trying, and now is a great time to start because with help I can get people to 50 within a few days and you can experience the storyline really easily, and rerolling isn't a problem.

If you still have any questions, I'll happily answer them. And I'll also keep my eyes peeling for Ps3 beta info so I can put it here. Square has said that once the Ps3 version is done, they made the game scaleable so that a Ps4 version would be possible in the future, among other consoles.

Old
08-19-2012, 03:33 PM
BreakTheWallsDown
HFBoards Prospect

Send a message via AIM to BreakTheWallsDown Send a message via MSN to BreakTheWallsDown
So just so I understand this correctly, if I get my hands on a copy of the game from amazon or something in the next couple weeks and get my account going--sign up for a month and whatnot--then as long as my account is active when the servers turn into beta servers I would get in the beta till January right? Or is that offer only for people that have had the game a long time already?

Old
08-19-2012, 03:36 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpro View Post
Ya I could imagine lol. Camping that mofo was beyond crazy.
That was my source of income. I kind of got addicted to camping NMs, I had 30+ claims on both the Monster Signa NM and the Ochiodos Kote guy. Got like 5 Monster Signas and 3 Kote or something (not including a rare/ex pair when they had that update).

I got lucky with Argus, camped for 2 hours and someone else got him. Logged on however many hours later (whatever the respawn was), waited like 20 minutes and he appeared right in front of me.

Old
08-19-2012, 03:47 PM
Rpro

Quote:
That was my source of income. I kind of got addicted to camping NMs, I had 30+ claims on both the Monster Signa NM and the Ochiodos Kote guy. Got like 5 Monster Signas and 3 Kote or something (not including a rare/ex pair when they had that update).

I got lucky with Argus, camped for 2 hours and someone else got him. Logged on however many hours later (whatever the respawn was), waited like 20 minutes and he appeared right in front of me.
Lucky you. I always hated(and still do) camping NM's, even if there was no competition. My income was fishing. I tried fishing on 14 but the lag made it unbearable although I've read it's better now.

Old
08-19-2012, 03:59 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Lucky you. I always hated(and still do) camping NM's, even if there was no competition. My income was fishing. I tried fishing on 14 but the lag made it unbearable although I've read it's better now.
Yeah it was a love/hate relationship lol. Never farmed or crafted either.

It was weird, I never did endgame aside from Dynamis a few times (too time consuming, I could play for an hour total and catch an NM 3 times). I got 75 and I would merit/camp NMs, but I didn't really have anything to work towards since I wasn't in an HNMLS. Pretty much spent the last few months I played doing assault, BCNM's, camping, merit parties and helping out friends. Back then Chivalrous Chains were still selling well so I made a killing getting those from assault.

I loved helping my friends and LS members get special items. It was so fun exploring.

Old
08-19-2012, 04:12 PM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakTheWallsDown View Post
So just so I understand this correctly, if I get my hands on a copy of the game from amazon or something in the next couple weeks and get my account going--sign up for a month and whatnot--then as long as my account is active when the servers turn into beta servers I would get in the beta till January right? Or is that offer only for people that have had the game a long time already?
It's never too late persay, and you'll more than likely get into beta (always a small percentage that doesn't for whatever reason), you'll just be prioritized after all the legacy people. SE understands that the people that bought the game should get priority because they are your hardcore customers/people you can woo back easier if they don't currently play.

And to the guy that liked Fishing- I love fishing in XIV, it can just drive you crazy if you try to grind it because well, it's fishing. But I love taking a break from things and just leveling it in spurts.

Old
08-19-2012, 04:19 PM
Rpro

Quote:
Yeah it was a love/hate relationship lol. Never farmed or crafted either.

It was weird, I never did endgame aside from Dynamis a few times (too time consuming, I could play for an hour total and catch an NM 3 times). I got 75 and I would merit/camp NMs, but I didn't really have anything to work towards since I wasn't in an HNMLS. Pretty much spent the last few months I played doing assault, BCNM's, camping, merit parties and helping out friends. Back then Chivalrous Chains were still selling well so I made a killing getting those from assault.

I loved helping my friends and LS members get special items. It was so fun exploring.
That's what made FFXI so special. I just never got that feeling much in other MMO's.

Old
08-19-2012, 04:25 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Agreed on the helping friends and exploring new corners of the map to (potentially) get yourself killed in. I was much more of an NM farmer than a crafter, though I dabbled in a few crafts. All this talk really has me considering reactivating the mule I still have and getting back in the game, but I doubt anyone I played with is still around. Anyone on here still play XI? I'd love to join you.

Old
08-19-2012, 04:35 PM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

FFXI is getting a new expansion soon, including Geomancer and Runemaster (Sword Mage) and a lot of people still play it, but a large base of the game is slowly moving on to 14, which is what SE intends I'm sure.

Old
08-19-2012, 04:45 PM
Rpro

Quote:
FFXI is getting a new expansion soon, including Geomancer and Runemaster (Sword Mage) and a lot of people still play it, but a large base of the game is slowly moving on to 14, which is what SE intends I'm sure.
Most of my friends quit 11 when 14 came out. They came back shortly after including myself lol. It's going to be interesting to see how 2.0 does when it's released. SE better have learned their lesson because if it isn't awsome right off the bat people will not give it a second look.

Old
08-19-2012, 04:48 PM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

Quote:
Most of my friends quit 11 when 14 came out. They came back shortly after including myself lol. It's going to be interesting to see how 2.0 does when it's released. SE better have learned their lesson because if it isn't awsome right off the bat people will not give it a second look.
I dunno, the game right now feels like a natural upgrade over 11, and just as good. The only complaint is animation lag and end game diversity, which is something they have both fixed in 2.0 and can improve upon in the future. Mostly all of my 14 LS is ex-XI players, and more and more seem to be joining every day.

Old
08-19-2012, 04:59 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Yeah, I fully intend to come over to 2.0 when I'm able to (PS3 release... unless someone wants to point out an affordable laptop capable of running XIV now, in which case I'd give it another shot this week - I say laptop because I need to purchase a new laptop anyhow; I know gaming on a laptop bumps the price up a lot, but I'd rather kill both birds with one stone and pay more). In the meanwhile though, if anyone from these boards plays FFXI and wouldn't mind showing a little patience to a guy who hasn't legitimately played in a couple of years, I'd love to get back in XI just to pass the time.

Old
08-19-2012, 05:13 PM
Rpro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
Yeah, I fully intend to come over to 2.0 when I'm able to (PS3 release... unless someone wants to point out an affordable laptop capable of running XIV now, in which case I'd give it another shot this week - I say laptop because I need to purchase a new laptop anyhow; I know gaming on a laptop bumps the price up a lot, but I'd rather kill both birds with one stone and pay more). In the meanwhile though, if anyone from these boards plays FFXI and wouldn't mind showing a little patience to a guy who hasn't legitimately played in a couple of years, I'd love to get back in XI just to pass the time.
Were you playing when abyssea was released? The game has changed big time in the last couple years.

Old
08-19-2012, 05:23 PM
SERE 24
LGR

I came back for a bit when Abyssea first came out and I experienced a little bit of it. I was still in school at the time, working towards actually (finally) graduating and I didn't end up having the time for the game. Now I have a full time job which takes up a ton of time, but I live with my girlfriend and, shy of nights when we go out for a couple of drinks and dinner, we're both so exhausted from work that I'm usually desperate for something I can just sit on my ass and enjoy for a few hours each night. Lately most console games have been big disappointments to me so, of course, my hunger for FFXI has picked up again. I couldn't devote a ton of time to it, but at least I could play it regularly.

Old
08-19-2012, 05:50 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
That's what made FFXI so special. I just never got that feeling much in other MMO's.
I had a LS with a bunch of members just like me; high level but didn't have the time to commit to an HNMLS, aside from a select few. So whenever somebody needed an item, we usually had the manpower to get it. I'll never forget the time we had got like 4 pairs of dune boots for members haha. ToAU missions were still coming out when I stopped playing, around 2007, and we would always do those together as well.

ToAU was a flat out fantastic expansion in my opinion.

Closed Thread