HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Vancouver Ranked 3rd in Livable Cities Study

Closed Thread

Old
08-19-2012, 03:11 PM
BlueChip01

vCash: 500
Vancouver would be my first choice and probably most peoples choice to live.

Number one - You should have some money

My wife is from Vancouver. I dragged her up to Edmonton, where I'm born, because money is great. You know the money is good when the wife doesn't argue about moving here lol.

Things are still expensive. I pay $1500/month for my little condo. Add $90+ for electricity a month.

I have a cousin who lived in Yaletown for 6 months and rent was $2000+ a month.

Great place for a builder though. I have lots of friends/family who build in Vancouver and Richmond. Lots there cost 6x-8x than what they do here.

Last edited by BlueChip01: 08-19-2012 at 03:17 PM.
Old
08-19-2012, 03:13 PM
ubiquitous
More like Shredder

I love how it's basically a list of Canadian and Australian cities.

Old
08-19-2012, 03:39 PM
Andre Boudrias

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Andre Boudrias
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubiquitous View Post
I love how it's basically a list of Canadian and Australian cities.
Yup, completely ignoring places like Santiago, Chile with a high economic growth, the beach is an hour away from most part of the country, and the winters are +10.

Old
08-19-2012, 03:40 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Mann View Post
Vancouver shouldn't even be in the same room as a discussion about livability, what with its absurd cost of living and utter lack of adequate transportation infrastructure.
I have no issue getting around Vancouver by transit.

Old
08-19-2012, 03:41 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc View Post
Yup, completely ignoring places like Santiago, Chile with a high economic growth, the beach is an hour away from most part of the country, and the winters are +10.
And don't forget the muggings!

Old
08-19-2012, 03:58 PM
LadyJet26
GO JETS GO!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by express View Post
Calgary is a great city to live and work in. Plenty of jobs, and affordable. When you need to get away, Banff is an hour away.

Is it a great city to go out of your way to visit? No. Maybe during the Stampede, but even then I think the Stampede is overrated.

Sure its sprawling and there are plenty of cookie cutter neighborhoods, but the core has some liveliness in Kensington and 17th Ave. Sure it's not like Kits and the Drive, but it still gives some colour.

I was one of the biggest Calgary pessimists before moving here, but I've been quite impressed. Once you get over the fact that it's not as charming as Vancouver, it's a great place to live.
Calgary has literally priced people out of the market. Calgary is not affordable. Winnipeg isn't even affordable anymore for single people.

Old
08-19-2012, 04:06 PM
LadyJet26
GO JETS GO!!!

Quote:
These livability surveys do not rate livability for working people on average incomes. They typically rate livability for corporate executives or highly skilled and educated expatriates on assignment. The Economist Survey is an example of this. I know some people in Vancouver, including media outlets, are either ignorant of this, or choose to overlook it, but it's critical because it tells you that trying to hawk these surveys as indicative of the city's overall livability is at best missing the mark, and at worst is completely moronic. For working people, Vancouver is utterly unlivable; certainly, for most such people, a comparable or better quality of life would be available for a substantially lower cost in almost every other metropolitan area in the country.

Also, I did not say transit, I said transportation infrastructure. This includes roads and freeways (or in Vancouver's case, the lack thereof). Public transit is also woefully inadequate, though; compared to Seoul, NYC, or London, the Skytrain is a joke.
I'd like you to try Winnipeg's transit system. I think you'd be very happy with Vancouver's after using Winnipeg's.

Old
08-19-2012, 04:13 PM
Tim Calhoun
Troll *********

vCash: 325
Vancouver's transit is great for a small young city, especially considering its geography. It's ridiculous to compare Vancouver transit to a city like NYC or London. Those cities are much bigger and very densely populated (as is Vancouver proper, but 20x smaller), and have been major cities for centuries.

Old
08-19-2012, 04:17 PM
Bermynuck

No doubt Vancouver is a great city. It's just a shame about the ridiculous cost of housing, relatively poor wages and the non stop rain in winter.

Old
08-19-2012, 04:20 PM
Dado

vCash:
"Vancouver proper" is not densely populated at all, unless the reference point is, say, Chilliwack.

Old
08-19-2012, 04:23 PM
DJOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Straka View Post
So me and my girlfriend are contemplating moving out to Vancouver in the next couple years once school is done for her... We have some friends out there right now and they have some good contacts out there... mainly Tommy Europe (who used to play for the BC Lions who now owns his own gym and TV show) and there are quite a few pro sports and junior teams in the area.... So this might be a good move for me career wise.

Thoughts?
Living in downtown Vancouver is great and if within your means, I would do it. Ottawa is great too, especially since you can make trips to Quebexico and I generally like the population in Ottawa. The main advantage in Vancouver is that its a lot more easy going and the weather never drops below freezing. You can also downhill ski instead of cross-country which is a huge plus if you like hitting the mountain.

Living the suburbs is okay but if I didn't have kids, or made an extra $500K a year (to afford a 2,000 sq ft condo), I would still be downtown. Having lived both in the suburbs and downtown as a working adult, I think my opinion is pretty valid. In my experience most people who prefer living in the suburbs have never actually lived downtown.

Old
08-19-2012, 04:31 PM
*Injektilo

Quote:
For working people, Vancouver is utterly unlivable; certainly, for most such people, a comparable or better quality of life would be available for a substantially lower cost in almost every other metropolitan area in the country.
If I read this correctly, only non-working people can afford to live in Vancouver.

Let's think of the logic being offered in this argument here.

Old
08-19-2012, 04:36 PM
Dado

vCash:
I suspect by "working" the poster means "working class" (I know, even that's not a whole lot more precise).

But ya know, "working class" folks don't get to live on the Upper East Side, either.

Old
08-19-2012, 04:41 PM
*Injektilo

I'm making a commentary about the demagoguery of Hugh Mann. If you can afford to live in Vancouver, it's because you somehow cheated your way.

I easily spend 50+ hours at my office getting **** done, and I'm able to live in Vancouver - So yeah, I guess I'm not part of these "working people".

Old
08-19-2012, 04:43 PM
LongRoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
And don't forget the muggings!
Yeah, I really enjoyed my time in Santiago but I wouldn't exactly rank it on a livability survey. Really polluted, much worse traffic than Vancouver and, despite having had many more actual close calls than I had there, I couldn't help but feel on edge most of the time. Something to do with heavily armed policemen around one corner and getting mean mugged around the next.

Old
08-19-2012, 04:51 PM
opendoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
"Vancouver proper" is not densely populated at all, unless the reference point is, say, Chilliwack.
I guess it depends what you're referring to, but the city of Vancouver itself is one of the more densely populated cities in North America with about 5200 people per km2.

Old
08-19-2012, 04:55 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
I guess it depends what you're referring to, but the city of Vancouver itself is one of the more densely populated cities in North America with about 5200 people per km2.
Manhattan is 30,000 / sq.km. That's six times higher.

Vancouver is in the "density" discussion the same way Columbus is in the "one of the best teams in the world" discussion because they play in the NHL.

Last edited by Dado: 08-19-2012 at 05:06 PM.

Old
08-19-2012, 05:05 PM
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanucksnWpg View Post
Calgary has literally priced people out of the market. Calgary is not affordable. Winnipeg isn't even affordable anymore for single people.
Quote:
I'd like you to try Winnipeg's transit system. I think you'd be very happy with Vancouver's after using Winnipeg's.
My sister told me last week that Winnipeg has gotten expensive in terms of housing. Considering six years ago it was still cheap, now everyone is upping the prices on new and used houses.

Winnipeg's transit is god awful, that "bus rapid transit" consists of 4 stations and one long stretch patch of road.

Rapid transit my ass.

Old
08-19-2012, 05:18 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
2 incomes translates to 2-3x increase house prices. I blame women's liberation .

Old
08-19-2012, 05:18 PM
Tim Calhoun
Troll *********

Quote:

Vancouver is in the "density" discussion the same way Columbus is in the "one of the best teams in the world" discussion because they play in the NHL.
If you're going to compare it to Manhattan, what's the population density of the downtown peninsula only? Probably much closer.

I remember reading a long time ago that Vancouver is the 4th densest city in NA, behind NYC, San Francisco, and Mexico City.

Old
08-19-2012, 05:33 PM
guest1467

Quote:

Yeah, let's compare it to arguably the most dense stretch of city in the world.

Seems legit.

Old
08-19-2012, 05:34 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Winnipeg is getting pretty underrated imo

It doesn't has vancouver's transit system but housing prices, while on the rise, are far more affordable than Vancouver. For the same price my familys sold our POS condo in Burquitlam they bought a spacious, newer house that is by winnie's technopole and has all amnesties nearby. And while the winter is obviously colder it doesn't rain anywhere as much and there are great lake beaches nearby during summer. Oh, and people with tech/engineering degrees can actually find jobs unlike in Vancouver.

Old
08-19-2012, 05:40 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Calhoun View Post
If you're going to compare it to Manhattan, what's the population density of the downtown peninsula only? Probably much closer.
Manhattan isn't a little enclave - it is 60 sq km, more than half the size of all of Vancouver - not sure how it's relevant comparing it to the couple of square clicks in the downtown peninsula.

To get an idea of how populous AND big Manhattan is, take everybody living east of Boundary and west of, and squeeze them in west of Main St.

Love that town...

Old
08-19-2012, 05:41 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Yeah, let's compare it to arguably the most dense stretch of city in the world.
I agree. But you need to take it up with the dude making the original claim, not with me...

Old
08-19-2012, 06:07 PM
Tim Calhoun
Troll *********

Quote:
Manhattan isn't a little enclave - it is 60 sq km, more than half the size of all of Vancouver - not sure how it's relevant comparing it to the couple of square clicks in the downtown peninsula.

To get an idea of how populous AND big Manhattan is, take everybody living east of Boundary and west of, and squeeze them in west of Main St.

Love that town...
You compared Manhattan to all of Vancouver. I pointed out that comparing it to downtown Vancouver is a better comparison: Manhattan is 7.2% of NYC's total area, and the downtown peninsula is 8.6% of Vancouver's total area, and both are the most densely populated areas of their respective cities.

And if you see my original post, I clearly said that comparing NYC's transit system to that of Vancouver's is silly, considering NYC is a much older, bigger, and more densely populated city. My main point is that considering Vancouver's size and geographic constraints, its transit is just fine (especially in Vancouver proper).

Closed Thread