HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Ever been to Decarie Square?

Old
08-19-2012, 12:35 AM
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003

vCash: 500
I've been there loads of time and...there's a Winners there?

Woah.

The n00b King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 12:48 AM
InglewoodJack

Oh my god the Decarie Mall is literally the most depressing mall in Montreal.
I used to go there as a kid because of the Jungle Gym. Anyone ever go there? Such a great place.
Does anyone know of any other depressing malls in the city?
The Lasalle mall where the Lasalle Colliseum theatre is located is just a tad less despair-ridden. The Faubourg too.

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 12:54 AM
The Russian General
#CanadaAndRefsTeam

The mall in front of Centre Laval is super depressing... But I guess it doesn't count since it's not in Montreal. And also, they're renovating it a bit.

The Russian General is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 01:11 AM
Rosso Scuderia

There's also "Le Faubourg" in downtown that looks like a ghost mall.

In the chinatown, there's the Swatow Plaza which was recently built and open like a year ago but 90% of the store is still unoccupied. Major flop.

Rosso Scuderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 01:21 AM
Bobby Clark
Spicy Sausage

I remember back in the 90's when Plaza Côte-des-Neiges was actually alive and not a barely walking corpse.Last time i went there was in the summer of 2008 because i had to take a piss.The washroom downstairs has to be the filthiest hole in Montreal.

Bobby Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 01:28 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
That Sears is an insult to stores. Also what did I just read.
It sounds like this particular Sears symbolizes the company's overall financial shape. I cant think of any ghost malls in the vancouver area but Sears tends to be the depressing wing of some major malls out here.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 01:46 AM
Habsfunk

Back in the 90s I used to get Habs tickets at the Ticketmaster outlet in Decarie Square. No one seemed to know it existed, so you could show up the day they went on sale and there would be no lineup.

Habsfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 02:19 AM
Galchenyuk94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
It sounds like this particular Sears symbolizes the company's overall financial shape. I cant think of any ghost malls in the vancouver area but Sears tends to be the depressing wing of some major malls out here.
It's not a real store it's a liquidation centre. I got a sick 5 piece sectional couch there for a grand and a half.

But yeah it's depressing.

Galchenyuk94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 08:49 AM
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life

As soon as I saw the title, I hoped the Mook Life article would be included. It's probably my favourite site on the web right now. If you're into that good Montreal life, they'll have an article for you.

About Decarie Square, I went there once or twice to catch a movie at Dollar Cinema. As advertised, the mall is a third-world country. However, if you like people-watching, it's definitely a prime spot. It'll probably be turned to condos in twenty years when the area is inevitably gentrified.

Turtleneck Plek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 01:16 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Yeah that mall is terrible. I go there for Winners and Homesense because it's actually really really good...I buy all my workout and golf shifts there...Dry-fit Nike stuff for like $15, really solid brands and dirt cheap.

The most random store is the baby proofing store. I've never seen a store like that before and I had no idea that there was a market for this sort of thing. I can't imagine how most of those stores are still open though...They started renting out huge chunks of it for office space.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 01:27 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Gionta View Post
The mall in front of Centre Laval is super depressing... But I guess it doesn't count since it's not in Montreal. And also, they're renovating it a bit.
I remember when I had to go there for my driving exams... Stupid SAAQ being in a ****hole.

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 04:01 PM
Alexdaman

vCash: 50
One of the things I hate the most in life, is walking around in a huge mall where there are hundreds of people, including tens and tens of ********** trying to show off their tan, tight T-shirts and haircuts.

I hate having to walk a kilometer from the parking lot to find the store I want to go to, so I would say that this decarie mall would be my world's most favorite mall of all-time.

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 04:08 PM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
One of the things I hate the most in life, is walking around in a huge mall where there are hundreds of people, including tens and tens of ********** trying to show off their tan, tight T-shirts and haircuts.

I hate having to walk a kilometer from the parking lot to find the store I want to go to, so I would say that this decarie mall would be my world's most favorite mall of all-time.
Don't you go to the mall to buy stuff? There's nothing to buy at the Decarie mall!

Pierre Dagenais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 04:11 PM
Alexdaman

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Dagenais View Post
Don't you go to the mall to buy stuff? There's nothing to buy at the Decarie mall!
Well I tend to stay away from them when i can but if there's a winners there then it'll get my vote.

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 04:22 PM
WhiskeySeven
Give her the Defence

I didn't know people liked Winners so much.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 04:31 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Les Galeries Laval, oh man... It used to be worse. I spent quite some time there because my friends loved playing laser tag (there's one downstairs--or at least used to be--next to the bingo room).

Also, don't ever eat at the food court, for your own sake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Recently discovered that store. Bought tons of really fancy clothes for cheap, and they're good pieces too, good craftsmanship. I just really hate the way things are organized, feels like I'm dumpster diving.

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 04:33 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Popular brands for cheap. What's not to like? Although I don't go to Winners anymore, can't find anything I like.

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 05:02 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masao View Post
I've been there for the first time today. Funny since I've seen this place over and over for years without ever getting in.

Since Hampstead is right next door, and there's a couple of elegant places nearby (like the Marathon restaurant near the Orange Julep) I thought Decarie Square would be a nice place.

This is by far the most depressing mall I've ever seen. It looks like a third world country in there. Right as you enter there's a Sears, supposedly an elegant store. That one looks like a garage sale.

There are more empty, run-down "for rent" spaces than actual stores (usually on liquidation). The ground is filthy. It's isolated and looks like a place for a drug deal. It's empty and depressing.

And on the second floor, you even have a welfare office.

I couldn't help looking it up when I came back. This is some sad stuff.

http://www.mook-life.com/ghost-malls-decarie-square/

I wonder if one day Rockland Center and La Baie will end up looking like Decarie Square.
I went there once and I'll never go back. That place is extra depressing.

I don't see how Rockland will ever turn to that. It's in TMR. Even if it becomes empty, the inside will never look like a dump.

Quote:
They have pretty good deals on certain things. Although none of the brands I wear can be found there. I usually just get some boxers or socks from there. They have nice Polo and Calvin Klein there. I'll get the occasional sports wear from there too but even that, I have a hard time finding really good stuff.
I'm quite picky with my clothes though and have expensive tastes.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 05:27 PM
Shred

Haha I worked there years ago one summer when Elections Canada had their temporary office there. It was a horrible dump back then too.

Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 05:42 PM
coolasprICE

sometimes I like a horrible dump ... it's purifying in a way

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 06:55 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Two words: Laser Dome.

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 10:11 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

My sister and cousin's pediatrician works here. If you scan the whole post, you'll see the listing that says Tiny Tots.

To be really honest, the Tiny Tots clinic is really clean and more modern than the rest of the mall. But when I did bring them last to the doc, there were a good amount of people there. Just not for shopping, they mostly worked in the various offices on the second floor.

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 10:15 PM
MasterD

Quote:
Galeries Laval... it's FAR from THIS depressing.. Archambault, Dollar Store, Reno Depot, Linen Chest have all been there for the longest time. Tops has been there forever too (although I think it might have closed down after opening the one in Boisbriand?), Jungle Gym...

Tops Cinema had been open for a long time, now there's a gym there...

It could much better, yes, specially their very small shops could be better, but it's nowhere near as empty as the pics here are.

MasterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 12:56 AM
The Russian General
#CanadaAndRefsTeam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
I remember when I had to go there for my driving exams... Stupid SAAQ being in a ****hole.
****hole is a nice word to describe that place.

The Russian General is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 02:51 PM
A1
Set Sail For Fail

Place Lasalle is pretty bad, parts of the ceiling are misssing, everything is closed down except the theater and Hart lol. They're in the middle of renovating or destroying it, not sure.

A1 is offline   Reply With Quote