HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Can players negotiate strike immunity?

Old
08-17-2012, 05:56 AM
habakkuk

vCash: 500
Can players negotiate strike immunity?

I'd like to pass this along to the wiser and more knowledgable on the board. Can players negotiate a clause in their contract which would stipulate they are paid in the event of a work stoppage, either a strike or a lock-out? I believe players unable to play because of existing injuries may be exempt from lockout but could it apply to others?

habakkuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 06:11 AM
Ryan O'Byrne

Quote:
Originally Posted by habakkuk View Post
I'd like to pass this along to the wiser and more knowledgable on the board. Can players negotiate a clause in their contract which would stipulate they are paid in the event of a work stoppage, either a strike or a lock-out? I believe players unable to play because of existing injuries may be exempt from lockout but could it apply to others?
i don't know 100% but i doubt they can as i'm sure a strike means contracts are frozen and only resume when the strikes over.

Ryan O'Byrne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 06:35 AM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by habakkuk View Post
Yes. It's called a bonus like the one Parise, Suter and Weber will be getting regardless of strike or not.

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 06:48 AM
MXD

Owen Nolan had some claude to that effect at the 04-05 lockout.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 09:59 AM
Mad Habber

They can play in Europe.

Honestly, I wouldn't bother coming back if the league locked them out for a month or two and I was a star player. Just play the season in Europe and flip the bird to Buttman and encourage other star players to do the same.

How many times do the players have to go through this and listen to billionaires crying "we can't survive", sniff, sniff.

Mad Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 01:12 AM
NORiculous

vCash: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Habber View Post
They can play in Europe.

Honestly, I wouldn't bother coming back if the league locked them out for a month or two and I was a star player. Just play the season in Europe and flip the bird to Buttman and encourage other star players to do the same.

How many times do the players have to go through this and listen to billionaires crying "we can't survive", sniff, sniff.
As if the millionnaires (players) are any better...

NORiculous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 01:19 AM
bcv
My french sucks.

Everything can happen during a negociation.

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 01:22 AM
thrillhouse99

With what money? Money can't go out to employees if it isn't coming in.

thrillhouse99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 01:25 AM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillhouse99 View Post
With what money? Money can't go out to employees if it isn't coming in.
NHL has $150M from their TV deal, even if there's a lock-out.

Old
08-19-2012, 01:32 AM
thrillhouse99

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
Yeah but the salary floor is what, 43 million? and the cap is what, 65 million? thats between 1.29 billion and 1.95 billion in salaries that need to be paid out, so that $150 million doesn't even begin to scratch the surface.

Old
08-19-2012, 01:37 AM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillhouse99 View Post
Yeah but the salary floor is what, 43 million? and the cap is what, 65 million? thats between 1.29 billion and 1.95 billion in salaries that need to be paid out, so that $150 million doesn't even begin to scratch the surface.
Yeah, I know. But owners still get a a few millions by doing nothing!

Old
08-19-2012, 01:40 AM
thrillhouse99

Quote:
Yeah, I know. But owners still get a a few millions by doing nothing!
I dunno, you can poke around here and look at data from a couple of years ago to see how much these owners are actually making off of these teams:

http://www.privco.com/

Just enter any team you want into the search function, you have to pay for up to date data but you can look at the data from a couple of years ago for free for some food for thought.

Old
08-19-2012, 08:55 AM
MasterD

Quote:
I believe this is where "we" have an impact... if the networks told Bettman "negociate, because we wont pay you if there is another lockout", there would be no lockout I am sure.

If people cancelled their RDS/TSN/RSN subscriptions, they'd get the message.

MasterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 05:39 PM
Teufelsdreck

I can't get over the naivety of this question. The 30 owners would unanimously refuse to include such a clause in any contract. Think about it, the players could strike and still get paid for not playing. Also, it would deny the owners the option of a lockout. As for jumping to Europe, how many openings would there be for the approximately 700 NHL players? The European teams wouldn't drop their own nationals to make room for hordes of North Americans.

PLEASE CLOSE THIS INANE THREAD.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 05:55 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
I can't get over the naivety of this question. The 30 owners would unanimously refuse to include such a clause in any contract. Think about it, the players could strike and still get paid for not playing. Also, it would deny the owners the option of a lockout. As for jumping to Europe, how many openings would there be for the approximately 700 NHL players? The European teams wouldn't drop their own nationals to make room for hordes of North Americans.

It's a legit question. If last spring Crosby would have said he wants to be paid even in the event of a strike or he will wait to be a UFA in 2013, how would the Pens react? They probably would have caved.

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 11:35 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
It's a legit question. If last spring Crosby would have said he wants to be paid even in the event of a strike or he will wait to be a UFA in 2013, how would the Pens react? They probably would have caved.
Probably? How can we take you seriously? Crosby's reaction to this "legitimate question" would be to walk away from you as fast as he could.

Old
08-20-2012, 12:56 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Quote:
Probably? How can we take you seriously? Crosby's reaction to this "legitimate question" would be to walk away from you as fast as he could.
Unless you have a mouse in your pocket, there is no we, just you. Why do Weber and Parise/Suter have bonuses in their newly signed deals? Weber will be paid $13M this season and 3 more after that whether or not a puck is dropped. If there is no hockey this year, he loses $1M in salary. Parise/Suter will get $10M this season and next regardless of whether hockey is played. They each stand to leave $2M on the table in the event of a season long lockout.

If this season is scrapped, Crosby will lose $12M in salary. Perhaps he should not have "walked away from me as fast as he could" and negotiated himself an ironclad deal.

Last edited by loudi94: 08-20-2012 at 01:25 AM.
Old
08-20-2012, 03:04 AM
HockeyF3ind

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORiculous View Post
As if the millionnaires (players) are any better...
Yes i believe they are. They are the ones that put their bodies and lives on the line every game. The owners sit in a box, if they are even in it at all.

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 10:52 AM
NHLFutureGuy3

I think the NHLPA should force all of their players to negotiate strike immunity (or bonuses) in their contracts. This would give the players the leverage they need so that the owners would lose a greater amount than the players in the event of a lockout. And I agree with one poster in that the owners are their own worst enemy and they will cave on the clause if they want the star player.

NHLFutureGuy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 11:34 AM
idk

I don't think you can negotiate strike immunity because, as far as I understand it, all NHL contracts have to be made within the framework of the CBA - that is to say the CBA is a part of every NHL contract and that without the CBA the contract is is some kind of suspended state until the next CBA is signed.

With that said there are end runs around it. Large bonuses that get paid at signing (before the CBA run out) are one way. I could also imagine a player getting a "job" from the owner during the lockout/strike but that I think would be frowned upon by both the PA and the BoG. Injuries are another end run around it - if a player was injured during the last season and was still too injured to play when the strike lockout started he would be eligible to be paid at least until the injury was healed. IIRC this is what Owen Nolan tried to do with the Leafs during the last lockout. As a consequence he had to submit to a battery of medical tests every day until he was no longer injured.

idk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 01:26 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
Unless you have a mouse in your pocket, there is no we, just you. Why do Weber and Parise/Suter have bonuses in their newly signed deals? Weber will be paid $13M this season and 3 more after that whether or not a puck is dropped. If there is no hockey this year, he loses $1M in salary. Parise/Suter will get $10M this season and next regardless of whether hockey is played. They each stand to leave $2M on the table in the event of a season long lockout.

If this season is scrapped, Crosby will lose $12M in salary. Perhaps he should not have "walked away from me as fast as he could" and negotiated himself an ironclad deal.
Sure, Crosby collects his $12M for playing golf because the players vote to strike for any reason whatsoever That's racketeering. Why are you blind to that flaw in your logic?

Old
08-20-2012, 03:03 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Quote:
Sure, Crosby collects his $12M for playing golf because the players vote to strike for any reason whatsoever That's racketeering. Why are you blind to that flaw in your logic?
Like Weber, Parise and Suter will be doing? Star players with leverage can already do the back door deal. It's not racketeering. If there is a lockout, you will see more and more of these deals in the future.

Old
08-20-2012, 06:20 PM
habakkuk

Quote:

The questin posed is not inane. What's inane is a GM trading an all-star young defenseman for Scott Gomez. What's inane is a GM trading a bundle of young talent for Yashin. What's inane is a GM giving DePietro a fifteen year contract. When you see GMs making these inane decisions it s completely reasonable for an agent to be able to negotiate salary protection for his client in the event of a work stoppage. My question was to see if anyone knew of anything which would prevent this. It seems I have my answer in the bonus clauses, which seem to be independent of the league operating.

habakkuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 09:53 PM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

I could be wrong but I believe that the players who were hurt art the end of the season will still get paid. Pronger comes to mind...

As for the healthy players....suck it up buttercup.

IceDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 04:09 AM
Corncob

Quote:
I can't get over the naivety of this question. The 30 owners would unanimously refuse to include such a clause in any contract. Think about it, the players could strike and still get paid for not playing..
Except that a number of players do have clauses in their contract that mean that part (or in some cases, most) of their salary would get paid in the event of a work stoppage. It's called a signing bonus and the reason these have become popular in contract negotiations in the last couple of years is for this very reason. Someone must not have told the owners in Minnesota, Buffalo, Philadelphia, etc about this unanimous refusal.

Shea Weber's contract means that even if the next season is cancelled completely Nashville are on the hook for 26 million dollars over a 12 month period.

Corncob is offline   Reply With Quote