HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Does Bobby Ryan's value = PK Subban's value ?

Old
08-19-2012, 06:02 PM
HooliganX2

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by habs_24x View Post
Not to mention Subban hasnt even stratched the surface on how good hes going to be in the future. Ryan has shown us hes a 65 pt player with VERY good linemates.
Ryan doesn't play with Getzlaf and Perry as much as you think he also doesn't get much PP time. Bobby Ryan has had a 71 point season and has scored 30 goals 4 times. To think the Bobby Ryan couldn't still have a 40 goal season and close to a PPG season at his young age is wrong.

Subban is 23 and Ryan is 25. Personally I would take Ryan over Subban as he has proven he can use his potential and still has room to grow. Subban while good has not yet played at as high of a level as Ryan has. They Both have room to get better.

HooliganX2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 06:08 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Ryan has more value... for sure.

Beerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 06:11 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Pretty easily Ryan. I would take him without thinking twice.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 06:16 PM
Thee GM
TheMostInterestingGM

Although PK Subban has a lot of potential, Bobby Ryan clearly has more value. Ryan has had 4 straight seasons of 30+ goals and Subban is only in his 3rd year in the league.

Thee GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 06:16 PM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Ryan has more value than Subban right now. Personally looking at my own team needs I'd also take Ryan.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 06:19 PM
JayBeautiful
Nature Boy

Ryan has more value by far, it's not even close

JayBeautiful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 06:23 PM
8spokesontheB
Cry Havoc!

Bobby is a better winger than Pernell is a defenseman, but I'm not sure whose "value" is higher.

8spokesontheB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 06:43 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Ryan has more value.

Habs fan.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 06:49 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Ryan has a tad more value, but I'd want Subban on the Stars as opposed to Ryan.

LatvianTwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 06:50 PM
Sawyer
Wheeeee

Oh snap, where'd all this come from? Never heard of any of this before
In any event, Ryan is the guy to take and NHL 12 even thinks so during a fantasy draft

When/if PK establishes himself in a season or two for a lock in the Olympics, this may change depending on Ryan's performance

Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 06:56 PM
uncleben85
My face is my mask.

Ryan>>Subban

uncleben85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 07:18 PM
Drydenwasthebest

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
Ryan doesn't play with Getzlaf and Perry as much as you think he also doesn't get much PP time. Bobby Ryan has had a 71 point season and has scored 30 goals 4 times. To think the Bobby Ryan couldn't still have a 40 goal season and close to a PPG season at his young age is wrong.

Subban is 23 and Ryan is 25. Personally I would take Ryan over Subban as he has proven he can use his potential and still has room to grow. Subban while good has not yet played at as high of a level as Ryan has. They Both have room to get better.
While I believe the value is close, I will disagree that Subban has not played at as high a level. Subban has been playing the #1 d-man position for both of his NHL seasons, and is one of only 15 defencemen in the entire league to score 30+ points, play 23+ minutes, deliver 100+ hits, make 100+ blocked shots, and play against opposing teams' top lines in all situations. He also did all of that without the benefit of equivalent defensive stars on par with Perry and Getzlaf to help him. Believe me, Subban IS playing at as high, if not higher, a level as Ryan. They both definitely have the potential to grow. While I would not trade Subban for Ryan, I would not shoot Bergevin if he did make that trade. I prefer Subban, but I would love to see Ryan in our top 6.

Drydenwasthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 07:20 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
PK Subban is 23
Bobby Ryan is 25

pk subban has 4 controllable years at ?
bobby ryan has 3 controllable years at 5.1M (slightly higher salary: 5.56M)

in terms of positional value, pk is a 1st pairing dman, ryan is a 1st line winger.

Offensively speaking, ryan (if he follows historical trends) has reached his peak, and will now begin (or has begun) a decline, though no-one can know if it is a slow decline or a quick one. Offensively speaking, again, PK subban is a couple of years from his peak.

In terms of defensive value, a very subjective metric, i'd say that ryan is defensively to the average 1st line winger similar to what subban is defensively to the average first-pairing dman.

Looking at market considerations, both are stars to their respective fanbases. Ryan may have damaged his value slightly through his recent public comments, but he's still a valuable face to sell tickets.

which brings us to the final question: what is worth more? A first line winger or a first pairing dman?

Looking at everything, though traditional logic might lead one to say that Ryan, a young 30-35 goal scoring forward with a 70pt season under his belt is more valuable, I probably would argue that PK is in fact worth more.

08-19-2012, 07:20 PM
tony d
The franchise

I prefer Ryan by a lot over Subban. I'd say he's worth more.

08-19-2012, 07:22 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Ryan is worth more now.

That said, it looks like Ryan has reached his peak as a 35G / 70P winger. No one knows what Subban's upside is. I personally think he can challenge for the Norris in his career.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 07:25 PM
Sojourn
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
Ryan is worth more now.

That said, it looks like Ryan has reached his peak as a 35G / 70P winger. No one knows what Subban's upside is. I personally think he can challenge for the Norris in his career.
It seems a bit odd to say Ryan has reached his peak, when he isn't getting 1st unit PP time. That alone suggests his numbers can improve a fair amount.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 07:34 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 5949
Ryan has had 4 consecutive 30-goal seasons. The only season he didn't score 30 goals was his rookie season in which he played only 23 games. I like Subban better but admittedly in terms of trade value Ryan has him beat.

vBurmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 07:38 PM
Sawyer
Wheeeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
PK Subban is 23
Bobby Ryan is 25

pk subban has 4 controllable years at ?
bobby ryan has 3 controllable years at 5.1M (slightly higher salary: 5.56M)

in terms of positional value, pk is a 1st pairing dman, ryan is a 1st line winger.

Offensively speaking, ryan (if he follows historical trends) has reached his peak, and will now begin (or has begun) a decline, though no-one can know if it is a slow decline or a quick one. Offensively speaking, again, PK subban is a couple of years from his peak.

In terms of defensive value, a very subjective metric, i'd say that ryan is defensively to the average 1st line winger similar to what subban is defensively to the average first-pairing dman.

Looking at market considerations, both are stars to their respective fanbases. Ryan may have damaged his value slightly through his recent public comments, but he's still a valuable face to sell tickets.

which brings us to the final question: what is worth more? A first line winger or a first pairing dman?

Looking at everything, though traditional logic might lead one to say that Ryan, a young 30-35 goal scoring forward with a 70pt season under his belt is more valuable, I probably would argue that PK is in fact worth more.
I'm gonna tell you that Karlsson is going to decline in offensive production in 3 years just to see your reaction.

Anywho, snide remarks turned off for a moment, historically, 1st pairing defensemen are more valued than 1st line wingers but Ryan has the edge for the time being

Old
08-19-2012, 07:43 PM
Flyerfan52

It depends on a teams needs.
If a team has decent to good defense I'd take Ryan. If front loaded with little D you go for Subban.

Flyerfan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 07:48 PM
Dellstrom
The new age

Subban's style as a defenseman is much harder to find than a 30 goal scorer.

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 07:51 PM
Belak Attack
:walrus:

Send a message via MSN to Belak Attack
Big Subban fan saying Ryan > Subban.

I think Subban has to prove more before he's worth a young(ish) 30 goal scoring winger.

Belak Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 08:05 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
I'm gonna tell you that Karlsson is going to decline in offensive production in 3 years just to see your reaction.

Anywho, snide remarks turned off for a moment, historically, 1st pairing defensemen are more valued than 1st line wingers but Ryan has the edge for the time being
speaking in general terms, you'd probably be right. Of course any individual, be it ryan or karlsson, could end up peaking offensively at a later age, but historically speaking, 22-26yo is when players peak offensively (and when you look at top offensive players only, 23 seems to be the peak).

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1238041

if I were you, i wouldnt wait a few years though. Why not tell me how Spezza has reached his peak and get that anger off your chest.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 08:16 PM
Ciccio1980

Subban and a 1st round pick would be fair
how do we know subban hasn't peaked maybe he'll start to play like a 2nd round pick

Ciccio1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 08:20 PM
Sawyer
Wheeeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
speaking in general terms, you'd probably be right. Of course any individual, be it ryan or karlsson, could end up peaking offensively at a later age, but historically speaking, 22-26yo is when players peak offensively (and when you look at top offensive players only, 23 seems to be the peak).

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1238041

if I were you, i wouldnt wait a few years though. Why not tell me how Spezza has reached his peak and get that anger off your chest.
Yeah, saw that thread
The problem with the stats is players in dead puck era vs the "free and open" style that is in now and the ages of those tested do not include mid 30 age players in todays game.
Conditioning is a huge difference for a player born in '62 and a player born in '79
The age 38 jump was my favourite part
take into account that an average NHL player career is 6 years long and you end up with a sample size that can be skewed in one of your posts due to playing ability

It's neat to look at and all but I've never been a fan of players declining at 25 in skill or production. There are way too many factors off of the ice and in regards to linemates that effect results and sampling players in age groups focuses on numbers only without taking causes into effect.
I could come up with graphs that say that the "free style" since the lockout has impeded players over the age of 25 from winning the Art Ross Trophy as anyone under that age rarely did prior to the lockout and that the Sedins and Thronton were the only ones over 25 to win it since the lockout but that doesn't make my argument true nor call other stats fabricated

*sigh*
Even global mods have been afflicted with the HF Virus and instantly assume what isn't written
Snide does not equal angry, check the dictionary if you do not believe me, sir
Where did you get the part about me being angry from may I ask?

Old
08-19-2012, 08:25 PM
Roof Daddy

Ryan by a fair margin for me. Big power forwards with hands like that are tougher to find than a Dman of Subban's ilk.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote