HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trading Cap Space?

Old
08-19-2012, 12:09 PM
Top 6 Spaling

vCash: 500
Trading Cap Space?

The idea of trading cap space has been suggested for the new CBA. Just as the name suggest, cap space could be used as a trade piece. We could give Toronto 3 mil in space in exchange for, say, Colbourne or a 2nd or something. NHLPA likes it because the big teams can pay more. Big market owners like it because it allows them to spend over the cap. Small market owners like it because they can trade away cap space they won't use anyways, but they also realize it could mean they get beat by better teams that can spend more.

What say you Pred Nation? Personally, I like it. We could really stockpile some picks/prospects trading away our unused cap. I have a feeling I won't be with the majority, but that's how I feel.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 12:24 PM
CalleJAMkrok
Weber/Neal/Rinne

wouldnt mind it, especially if the preds eventually traded for others cap space

CalleJAMkrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 01:00 PM
NoNecksCurse

im for it. its wasted space otherwise. we have shown we can beat teams that spend to the max.

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 01:13 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I think it works for both sides. It's better than trading cash since bigger market teams can just load up a proposal with a big chunk of cash that smaller teams cannot get their hands on. As T6S says, smaller market teams who don't spend to the cap anyway would benefit. Larger market teams that would like to spend above the cap would benefit.

As of right now I'm OK with it. Maybe I change my mind after giving it some more thought, but if this is something that can keep the NHLPA from playing hard ball with removing the cap then I doubt I change my mind.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 01:22 PM
deanwormer

vCash: 437
if there are no limits on acquiring extra cap space it's ultimately gonna' be problematic for the small market teams. Det/Tor/NYR go out and each acquire extra 10-15mil in space from the PHO/Preds and all the awful teams like Cbus/EDM and it not only alters the competitive picture between the teams trading away the space and the acquirer but also between the rest of the teams in the league. It will potentially force all lg markets to buy space from the small markets and then we have the imbalanced spending we had in the pre-strike era.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 01:27 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

What would be your proposal? Trade cap space for cash? If they really wanted more Rev. Sharing it would be $2 for every $1 of cap space. Small market teams would be rewarded for smart drafting. Big markets punished for bad drafting and signings.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 02:55 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Forgot to mention that there is a stipulation that (something like) 10% of the cap is the max a team can trade for. So this year it'd be 7.02mil.

Old
08-19-2012, 03:00 PM
CalleJAMkrok
Weber/Neal/Rinne

how long would the traded cap space be the others teams property for? there would have to be deals like 4 years of 4 mil in cap space for player x, atleast thats how i think itd have to go down

CalleJAMkrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 07:31 PM
PredsV82
No

vCash: 130
I would be willing to allow trading cap space and trading cash in exchange for much greater revenue sharing. under this scenario, a rebuilding team can speed the rebuild by trading space for assets, then when they are good again they have the money to keep their assets and spend to the cap

If you allow trading cap space and dont improve revenue sharing, you will soon have the rich teams able to have 30-40 million or more salary than a cap floor team

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 08:11 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post

If you allow trading cap space and dont improve revenue sharing, you will soon have the rich teams able to have 30-40 million or more salary than a cap floor team
That is why it would be limited to 10% of the cap.

Old
08-19-2012, 09:08 PM
PredsV82
No

vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
That is why it would be limited to 10% of the cap.
the gap between the floor and cap is already more than 20 million, right? so thats a 27 million dollar gap at a minumum, and more whenever the cap goes up...

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 09:15 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Honestly, the way I would implement something like this is trading buyouts. Other than that, I don't like it. Seems like something that could easily burn folks.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 09:31 PM
Firestorm

Parity would start to go if we had trading cap space.

Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 09:36 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Even though it would probably help the Predators, I'm not a fan of trading cap space or cash. I prefer a strict, hard cap.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 10:05 AM
thomas magnum

I don't think it's a bad idea but there should be a limit on the amount of cap space you could acquire. Maybe 5 mil or so? Also, I think you should only be able to loan out your cap space for a year at a time. That way a team wouldn't get handcuffed by some idiot GM loaning out their cap space for 5 years if they came into money and needed it all the sudden.

thomas magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 11:21 AM
lstcyr

The more I hear of the concept the less I like it. The fallacy in the system is that if the extra 10% in cap space for a team ends up with that team being able to sign one of our free agents because they can pay more, the whole concept ends up hurting us.

Say, Detroit gets Columbus to trade them space, $6 million for example. And Detroit uses that to structure a deal for Hornqvist that convinces him to go sign with them. That hurts us more than any benefit we gain from being able to trade the space. The teams that can afford the additional cap space will probably be the teams that free agents would tend to want to go to.

lstcyr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 11:28 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

There would have to be restrictions for this to work. Say $3 mil cap and can only happen once a season for each team (gaining and losing would each = that one time). If not, the Wangs of the world would only have $25 mil in actual salary.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 01:03 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by lstcyr View Post
Say, Detroit gets Columbus to trade

A quick reminder: Howson's response to overtures from Detroit for Nash was to unplug the phone.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote