HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wayne Simmonds Signs Extension (per media: 6 years, $3.84m cap hit)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-18-2012, 05:04 AM
  #151
dookie88
Registered User
 
dookie88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Germany
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,710
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35NW8ING View Post
Shoveling home garbage 2 feet outside the crease. He's a push and glide skater, can't create opportunities for himself, and can't play on the wall. His entire success hinges on the puck luckily bouncing to him at the exact moment he has his stick on the ice, to swat it back towards the net. He has no shot to speak of, and gives us absolutely nothing when we don't have the puck.

At least Briere can skate, pass, and shoot proficiently. Briere had many seasons of success before getting a big contract. Giving Simmonds this deal is as bad as giving JVR his deal. Too early, and not enough production to warrant the years or $$.
1) Simmonds is one of our faster skaters.
2) He can play on the wall.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 05:28 AM
  #152
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity
 
ChumpyG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Country: Sami
Posts: 2,723
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35NW8ING View Post
Shoveling home garbage 2 feet outside the crease. He's a push and glide skater, can't create opportunities for himself, and can't play on the wall. His entire success hinges on the puck luckily bouncing to him at the exact moment he has his stick on the ice, to swat it back towards the net. He has no shot to speak of, and gives us absolutely nothing when we don't have the puck.
The bolded parts are exactly why he got the extension, and the money. He's pretty damn good at those things. Chances are he'll get better, and those are pretty important things in the game of hockey.

The rest seems like your opinion, which you're entitled to, but honestly he doesn't suck as bad as you're trying to make him sound.

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 10:00 AM
  #153
Jtown
Registered User
 
Jtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
Posts: 12,363
vCash: 500
WE got simmonds signed to a great low cap hit. Im very happy about that, and I like Simmer alot. HE has his flaws no doubt, he is a horrible passer. But he is strong and athletiec enough to camp in front of the net, is lb for lb the best fighter in the league and is a team first guy.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 02:32 PM
  #154
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 32,554
vCash: 50
not sure I am thrilled with the modified no trade clause.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 04:41 PM
  #155
Go For It
Registered User
 
Go For It's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Collegeville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,271
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
not sure I am thrilled with the modified no trade clause.
Where are you seeing that?

Go For It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 05:08 PM
  #156
Haute Couturier
Registered User
 
Haute Couturier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 5,972
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post
Where are you seeing that?
Capgeek. If you go to his page on there it mentions he has a modified NTC.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 05:26 PM
  #157
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 32,554
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post
Where are you seeing that?
http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=1011

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 08:10 PM
  #158
35NW8ING
#LaviPondHockeyFail
 
35NW8ING's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 442
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Basically, you're saying he's Scott Hartnell without the falling on his ass part.
Not entirely. Hartnell is better with the puck and off it. Hartnell also skates better and doesn't get pushed off the puck as easy as Simmonds. Hartnell can also create a scoring chance for himself, while Simmonds chances come almost exclusively from the luck of a bouncing puck.

35NW8ING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 08:56 PM
  #159
Flyotes
DownieFaceSoftener
 
Flyotes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35NW8ING View Post
Not entirely. Hartnell is better with the puck and off it. Hartnell also skates better and doesn't get pushed off the puck as easy as Simmonds. Hartnell can also create a scoring chance for himself, while Simmonds chances come almost exclusively from the luck of a bouncing puck.
Simmonds is a very good skater, but you do not see it as often because he does not have charge of the puck often. I would say he's a better skater than Hartnell. Hartnell also has less balance. Simmonds actually has a sharp finesse to his skating. Hartnell is simply stronger.

.. and it isn't true Simmonds chances come almost exclusively from luck via bouncing puck. Simmonds has a knack for finding the puck or deflecting it in the air (not bouncing). He usually gains possession of the puck around the net (due to having fantastic hands) and scores. Check out his 49 points on youtube. Check out 4:05. He usually gains control briefly before stuffing it home. He's also a good passer. Simmonds also is fine at creating scoring opportunities once he has the puck on his stick. Check out the two goals after 8:12. 11:05 is good. Check out his skating at 11:47.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ev63c2RVU7M


Last edited by Flyotes: 08-18-2012 at 09:04 PM.
Flyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 05:58 AM
  #160
Spongolium*
Potato Magician
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bridgend,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 8,653
vCash: 500
Is that guy for real.

Simmonds is exactly what this team needs. Someone that crashes the net. You wont find anyone else going into the dirty area's like Simmonds will. Hartnell has never been suited to it, and he's never been a player that is good at it.

Simmonds is a horrendous skates, but still has speed. He really needs to control his stride allot more. Infront of the net, he has good enough hands to bang in rebounds.

At the end of the day, Simmonds isn't here to create chances. Thats what Briere, Schenn, Voracek and Giroux are here for. Simmonds and Hartnell are here to finish those chances.

20 goal scorer, physical, drops the gloves and can play on any line on the team for 3.8 million. What exactly is not to like?

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 06:42 AM
  #161
Krishna
Registered User
 
Krishna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Canada
Posts: 82,156
vCash: 500
Can someone fix the title?

it's apparently 3.975m per

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 02:47 PM
  #162
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 32,554
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35NW8ING View Post
Not entirely. Hartnell is better with the puck and off it. Hartnell also skates better and doesn't get pushed off the puck as easy as Simmonds. Hartnell can also create a scoring chance for himself, while Simmonds chances come almost exclusively from the luck of a bouncing puck.
Simmonds is still young and growing as a player. Hartnell is already past that point.
Simmonds is willing to pay the price in front of the net. If thats luck then who cares.
How many goals did John Leclair score down in front of the net? Tomas Holmstrom? I could name more but you get the point.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 08:48 PM
  #163
SgtJoseph
Registered User
 
SgtJoseph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Northwest Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 3,568
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erza Scarlet View Post
Love Simmonds but not in love with this contract. I'm one of those guys that believe Simmonds production will be dependent on his teammates.
Respectfully the same can be said about most players ?For instance many folks say that Hartnell's production is because he played/plays on Brieres line, or Girioux's line etc over the last few years.But i submit that Briere/Roo's #s benefit from playing with Hartnell ?Harts does a lot of the unsung dirty work that compliments others on the line he is playing on.....Same with Simmonds ?

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 08:55 PM
  #164
35NW8ING
#LaviPondHockeyFail
 
35NW8ING's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 442
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Simmonds is still young and growing as a player. Hartnell is already past that point.
Simmonds is willing to pay the price in front of the net. If thats luck then who cares.
How many goals did John Leclair score down in front of the net? Tomas Holmstrom? I could name more but you get the point.
Don't insult John LeClair by mentioning him in the same sentence as Wayne Simmonds. LeClair scored 50+ three straight years, and followed up with 40+ in the next two. After those five seasons he received a new contract with significant raise.

Handing Simmonds a contract like this is as bad as the JVR deal. Too early and not enough to warrant the term or $.

35NW8ING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 08:58 PM
  #165
35NW8ING
#LaviPondHockeyFail
 
35NW8ING's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 442
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
Respectfully the same can be said about most players ?For instance many folks say that Hartnell's production is because he played/plays on Brieres line, or Girioux's line etc over the last few years.But i submit that Briere/Roo's #s benefit from playing with Hartnell ?Harts does a lot of the unsung dirty work that compliments others on the line he is playing on.....Same with Simmonds ?
Briere's game went in the tank once Hartnell wasn't on his line and G has a career year once Hartnell joined his line. More than a coincidence. IIRC several players were auditioned with G and Jagr but none made that line go like it did once Hartnell joined it.

35NW8ING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 11:30 PM
  #166
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!
 
Hockeypete49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 4,580
vCash: 500
Handing Simmonds a contract like this is as bad as the JVR deal. Too early and not enough to warrant the term or $.[/QUOTE]

So I guess you work in the front office and just know that Simmer has bust all over him huh? This contract is a very good deal. This young man works to hard on and off the ice not to warrant locking him up. He is no chump. All the work he does for the inner city kids proves that he wants to be a role model. I am proud to have him on the team and glad he wants to be here for the long haul. This young core of players that Holmgren has put together is very impressive and they want to play for each other with no clicks in the room. As far as the JVR deal I will agree with you on that point. James going to the leafs may be what he needs to get his career jump started. But to call the Simmonds contract a bad deal proves to me that you have a agenda as far as this young man's talent and heart are concerned but not me. How can you say to early? That is why they have what is called a coaching staff who know way more about talent than you or I. No one is perfect, but my money is on Simmer. Time will prove me right and I will predict that!

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 11:53 PM
  #167
Go For It
Registered User
 
Go For It's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Collegeville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,271
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
Handing Simmonds a contract like this is as bad as the JVR deal. Too early and not enough to warrant the term or $.

So I guess you work in the front office and just know that Richards has bust all over him huh? This contract is a very good deal. This young man works to hard on and off the ice not to warrant locking him up. He is no chump. All the work he does for the inner city kids proves that he wants to be a role model. I am proud to have him on the team and glad he wants to be here for the long haul. This young core of players that Holmgren has put together is very impressive and they want to play for each other with no clicks in the room. As far as the RJ deal I will agree with you on that point. RJ going to the blue jackets may be what he needs to get his career jump started. But to call the Richards contract a bad deal proves to me that you have a agenda as far as this young man's talent and heart are concerned but not me. How can you say to early? That is why they have what is called a coaching staff who know way more about talent than you or I. No one is perfect, but my money is on Richards. Time will prove me right and I will predict that!


While the two players are nothing similar, the same bet is being made with Simmonds that was made with Richards, JVR, and other young players; you hope the overpayment in the short-term is justified by saving money in the long-term. Would have been nice to not have included some type of NTC though.

After thinking a little bit, does anyone else find it odd that Giroux is the only one who hasn't signed a contract with a structure similar to this? I'd assume it's because his deal will more than likely be the most lucrative out of the bunch.

Go For It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 12:18 AM
  #168
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 32,554
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35NW8ING View Post
Don't insult John LeClair by mentioning him in the same sentence as Wayne Simmonds. LeClair scored 50+ three straight years, and followed up with 40+ in the next two. After those five seasons he received a new contract with significant raise.

Handing Simmonds a contract like this is as bad as the JVR deal. Too early and not enough to warrant the term or $.
What was John Leclair early in his career? Check out his numbers in Monteal when he was Wayne Simmonds age. Leclair was not a good skater. He scored a lot of his goals in the same areas as Simmonds did this past season.
I am not going to dispute the contract terms., but since we are comparing players lets do so with Hartnell.
Scott Hartnell was handed a 6 year deal in 2007(sound familiar) with a term of 4.2 per season when the market wasnt even close to what it is now.
Hartnell had 39 points in 64 points prior and 48 in 81 prior to signing the deal with the Flyers.

Was Hartnell "worth" that contract at that time? debatable. Just like this one is.


Last edited by GoneFullHextall: 08-20-2012 at 12:27 AM.
GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 01:17 AM
  #169
flyersfan187
Registered User
 
flyersfan187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Morrisdale, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,856
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
No reason to compare Hartnell with Simmonds. Hartnell is a top line gritty guy that has a nice shot and Simmonds is more of a second/third line player that will chip in offensively while also playing a tough tough game. I love to have him locked up long term on the cheaper side.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 01:31 AM
  #170
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 32,554
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan187 View Post
No reason to compare Hartnell with Simmonds. Hartnell is a top line gritty guy that has a nice shot and Simmonds is more of a second/third line player that will chip in offensively while also playing a tough tough game. I love to have him locked up long term on the cheaper side.
no, but Hartnell was not a first line winger when he was handed that contract at age 24.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 03:19 AM
  #171
dats81
Registered User
 
dats81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Carinthia
Country: Austria
Posts: 2,346
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35NW8ING View Post
Not entirely. Hartnell is better with the puck and off it. Hartnell also skates better and doesn't get pushed off the puck as easy as Simmonds. Hartnell can also create a scoring chance for himself, while Simmonds chances come almost exclusively from the luck of a bouncing puck.
If his luck translates into 28 goals a season, I would driver Simmer to the bank to cash his cheque myself and ask him to buy me a lottery ticket afterwards

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 07:22 AM
  #172
El Emperor
Registered User
 
El Emperor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Woodstown, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post


While the two players are nothing similar, the same bet is being made with Simmonds that was made with Richards, JVR, and other young players; you hope the overpayment in the short-term is justified by saving money in the long-term. Would have been nice to not have included some type of NTC though.

After thinking a little bit, does anyone else find it odd that Giroux is the only one who hasn't signed a contract with a structure similar to this? I'd assume it's because his deal will more than likely be the most lucrative out of the bunch.
Don't worry, Ed Snider may personally back up the trailer full of cash into Giroux's driveway next off-season when the Flyers can officially make him his next contract offer.

El Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 08:23 AM
  #173
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!
 
Hockeypete49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 4,580
vCash: 500
After thinking a little bit, does anyone else find it odd that Giroux is the only one who hasn't signed a contract with a structure similar to this? I'd assume it's because his deal will more than likely be the most lucrative out of the bunch.[/QUOTE]

Oh there is something odd here for sure As far as Giroux.He will have the most lucrative contract in team history. "When" is the key word.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 09:22 AM
  #174
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,244
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
Oh there is something odd here for sure As far as Giroux.He will have the most lucrative contract in team history. "When" is the key word.
It will depend on the CBA. Weber took a risk at getting the most money this summer because of it so Giroux might not get as much as some of these guys only because of bad timing. I can't believe the money and term that has been thrown around this summer, especially to a lot of average players. G deserves a ton but might not get it because he can't get an extension right now.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 09:33 AM
  #175
Go For It
Registered User
 
Go For It's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Collegeville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,271
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
After thinking a little bit, does anyone else find it odd that Giroux is the only one who hasn't signed a contract with a structure similar to this? I'd assume it's because his deal will more than likely be the most lucrative out of the bunch.

Oh there is something odd here for sure As far as Giroux.He will have the most lucrative contract in team history. "When" is the key word.


I wasn't trying to make it sound like he's not going to sign here or something. He's just the only young top-6 player I can think of who hasn't gotten a 4+ year deal lately.


Last edited by Go For It: 08-20-2012 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Quoting a quote broken.
Go For It is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:30 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.