HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wayne Simmonds Signs Extension (per media: 6 years, $3.84m cap hit)

Old
08-18-2012, 05:04 AM
dookie88

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35NW8ING View Post
Shoveling home garbage 2 feet outside the crease. He's a push and glide skater, can't create opportunities for himself, and can't play on the wall. His entire success hinges on the puck luckily bouncing to him at the exact moment he has his stick on the ice, to swat it back towards the net. He has no shot to speak of, and gives us absolutely nothing when we don't have the puck.

At least Briere can skate, pass, and shoot proficiently. Briere had many seasons of success before getting a big contract. Giving Simmonds this deal is as bad as giving JVR his deal. Too early, and not enough production to warrant the years or $$.
1) Simmonds is one of our faster skaters.
2) He can play on the wall.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 05:28 AM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Quote:
Shoveling home garbage 2 feet outside the crease. He's a push and glide skater, can't create opportunities for himself, and can't play on the wall. His entire success hinges on the puck luckily bouncing to him at the exact moment he has his stick on the ice, to swat it back towards the net. He has no shot to speak of, and gives us absolutely nothing when we don't have the puck.
The bolded parts are exactly why he got the extension, and the money. He's pretty damn good at those things. Chances are he'll get better, and those are pretty important things in the game of hockey.

The rest seems like your opinion, which you're entitled to, but honestly he doesn't suck as bad as you're trying to make him sound.

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 10:00 AM
Jtown

WE got simmonds signed to a great low cap hit. Im very happy about that, and I like Simmer alot. HE has his flaws no doubt, he is a horrible passer. But he is strong and athletiec enough to camp in front of the net, is lb for lb the best fighter in the league and is a team first guy.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 02:32 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
not sure I am thrilled with the modified no trade clause.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 04:41 PM
Go For It

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
not sure I am thrilled with the modified no trade clause.
Where are you seeing that?

Go For It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 05:08 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post
Capgeek. If you go to his page on there it mentions he has a modified NTC.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 05:26 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=1011

Old
08-18-2012, 08:10 PM
35NW8ING
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Basically, you're saying he's Scott Hartnell without the falling on his ass part.
Not entirely. Hartnell is better with the puck and off it. Hartnell also skates better and doesn't get pushed off the puck as easy as Simmonds. Hartnell can also create a scoring chance for himself, while Simmonds chances come almost exclusively from the luck of a bouncing puck.

35NW8ING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 08:56 PM
Flyotes
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
Not entirely. Hartnell is better with the puck and off it. Hartnell also skates better and doesn't get pushed off the puck as easy as Simmonds. Hartnell can also create a scoring chance for himself, while Simmonds chances come almost exclusively from the luck of a bouncing puck.
Simmonds is a very good skater, but you do not see it as often because he does not have charge of the puck often. I would say he's a better skater than Hartnell. Hartnell also has less balance. Simmonds actually has a sharp finesse to his skating. Hartnell is simply stronger.

.. and it isn't true Simmonds chances come almost exclusively from luck via bouncing puck. Simmonds has a knack for finding the puck or deflecting it in the air (not bouncing). He usually gains possession of the puck around the net (due to having fantastic hands) and scores. Check out his 49 points on youtube. Check out 4:05. He usually gains control briefly before stuffing it home. He's also a good passer. Simmonds also is fine at creating scoring opportunities once he has the puck on his stick. Check out the two goals after 8:12. 11:05 is good. Check out his skating at 11:47.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ev63c2RVU7M

Last edited by Flyotes: 08-18-2012 at 09:04 PM.
Flyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 05:58 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Is that guy for real.

Simmonds is exactly what this team needs. Someone that crashes the net. You wont find anyone else going into the dirty area's like Simmonds will. Hartnell has never been suited to it, and he's never been a player that is good at it.

Simmonds is a horrendous skates, but still has speed. He really needs to control his stride allot more. Infront of the net, he has good enough hands to bang in rebounds.

At the end of the day, Simmonds isn't here to create chances. Thats what Briere, Schenn, Voracek and Giroux are here for. Simmonds and Hartnell are here to finish those chances.

20 goal scorer, physical, drops the gloves and can play on any line on the team for 3.8 million. What exactly is not to like?

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 06:42 AM
Krishna

Can someone fix the title?

it's apparently 3.975m per

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 02:47 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Simmonds is still young and growing as a player. Hartnell is already past that point.
Simmonds is willing to pay the price in front of the net. If thats luck then who cares.
How many goals did John Leclair score down in front of the net? Tomas Holmstrom? I could name more but you get the point.

Old
08-19-2012, 08:48 PM
SgtJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erza Scarlet View Post
Love Simmonds but not in love with this contract. I'm one of those guys that believe Simmonds production will be dependent on his teammates.
Respectfully the same can be said about most players ?For instance many folks say that Hartnell's production is because he played/plays on Brieres line, or Girioux's line etc over the last few years.But i submit that Briere/Roo's #s benefit from playing with Hartnell ?Harts does a lot of the unsung dirty work that compliments others on the line he is playing on.....Same with Simmonds ?

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 08:55 PM
35NW8ING
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Simmonds is still young and growing as a player. Hartnell is already past that point.
Simmonds is willing to pay the price in front of the net. If thats luck then who cares.
How many goals did John Leclair score down in front of the net? Tomas Holmstrom? I could name more but you get the point.
Don't insult John LeClair by mentioning him in the same sentence as Wayne Simmonds. LeClair scored 50+ three straight years, and followed up with 40+ in the next two. After those five seasons he received a new contract with significant raise.

Handing Simmonds a contract like this is as bad as the JVR deal. Too early and not enough to warrant the term or $.

Old
08-19-2012, 08:58 PM
35NW8ING
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
Respectfully the same can be said about most players ?For instance many folks say that Hartnell's production is because he played/plays on Brieres line, or Girioux's line etc over the last few years.But i submit that Briere/Roo's #s benefit from playing with Hartnell ?Harts does a lot of the unsung dirty work that compliments others on the line he is playing on.....Same with Simmonds ?
Briere's game went in the tank once Hartnell wasn't on his line and G has a career year once Hartnell joined his line. More than a coincidence. IIRC several players were auditioned with G and Jagr but none made that line go like it did once Hartnell joined it.

Old
08-19-2012, 11:30 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Handing Simmonds a contract like this is as bad as the JVR deal. Too early and not enough to warrant the term or $.[/QUOTE]

So I guess you work in the front office and just know that Simmer has bust all over him huh? This contract is a very good deal. This young man works to hard on and off the ice not to warrant locking him up. He is no chump. All the work he does for the inner city kids proves that he wants to be a role model. I am proud to have him on the team and glad he wants to be here for the long haul. This young core of players that Holmgren has put together is very impressive and they want to play for each other with no clicks in the room. As far as the JVR deal I will agree with you on that point. James going to the leafs may be what he needs to get his career jump started. But to call the Simmonds contract a bad deal proves to me that you have a agenda as far as this young man's talent and heart are concerned but not me. How can you say to early? That is why they have what is called a coaching staff who know way more about talent than you or I. No one is perfect, but my money is on Simmer. Time will prove me right and I will predict that!

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 11:53 PM
Go For It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
Handing Simmonds a contract like this is as bad as the JVR deal. Too early and not enough to warrant the term or $.

So I guess you work in the front office and just know that Richards has bust all over him huh? This contract is a very good deal. This young man works to hard on and off the ice not to warrant locking him up. He is no chump. All the work he does for the inner city kids proves that he wants to be a role model. I am proud to have him on the team and glad he wants to be here for the long haul. This young core of players that Holmgren has put together is very impressive and they want to play for each other with no clicks in the room. As far as the RJ deal I will agree with you on that point. RJ going to the blue jackets may be what he needs to get his career jump started. But to call the Richards contract a bad deal proves to me that you have a agenda as far as this young man's talent and heart are concerned but not me. How can you say to early? That is why they have what is called a coaching staff who know way more about talent than you or I. No one is perfect, but my money is on Richards. Time will prove me right and I will predict that!

While the two players are nothing similar, the same bet is being made with Simmonds that was made with Richards, JVR, and other young players; you hope the overpayment in the short-term is justified by saving money in the long-term. Would have been nice to not have included some type of NTC though.

After thinking a little bit, does anyone else find it odd that Giroux is the only one who hasn't signed a contract with a structure similar to this? I'd assume it's because his deal will more than likely be the most lucrative out of the bunch.

Old
08-20-2012, 12:18 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Don't insult John LeClair by mentioning him in the same sentence as Wayne Simmonds. LeClair scored 50+ three straight years, and followed up with 40+ in the next two. After those five seasons he received a new contract with significant raise.

What was John Leclair early in his career? Check out his numbers in Monteal when he was Wayne Simmonds age. Leclair was not a good skater. He scored a lot of his goals in the same areas as Simmonds did this past season.
I am not going to dispute the contract terms., but since we are comparing players lets do so with Hartnell.
Scott Hartnell was handed a 6 year deal in 2007(sound familiar) with a term of 4.2 per season when the market wasnt even close to what it is now.
Hartnell had 39 points in 64 points prior and 48 in 81 prior to signing the deal with the Flyers.

Was Hartnell "worth" that contract at that time? debatable. Just like this one is.

Last edited by GoneFullHextall: 08-20-2012 at 12:27 AM.
Old
08-20-2012, 01:17 AM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
No reason to compare Hartnell with Simmonds. Hartnell is a top line gritty guy that has a nice shot and Simmonds is more of a second/third line player that will chip in offensively while also playing a tough tough game. I love to have him locked up long term on the cheaper side.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 01:31 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan187 View Post
No reason to compare Hartnell with Simmonds. Hartnell is a top line gritty guy that has a nice shot and Simmonds is more of a second/third line player that will chip in offensively while also playing a tough tough game. I love to have him locked up long term on the cheaper side.
no, but Hartnell was not a first line winger when he was handed that contract at age 24.

Old
08-20-2012, 03:19 AM
dats81

Quote:
If his luck translates into 28 goals a season, I would driver Simmer to the bank to cash his cheque myself and ask him to buy me a lottery ticket afterwards

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 07:22 AM
El Emperor

Quote:

While the two players are nothing similar, the same bet is being made with Simmonds that was made with Richards, JVR, and other young players; you hope the overpayment in the short-term is justified by saving money in the long-term. Would have been nice to not have included some type of NTC though.

After thinking a little bit, does anyone else find it odd that Giroux is the only one who hasn't signed a contract with a structure similar to this? I'd assume it's because his deal will more than likely be the most lucrative out of the bunch.
Don't worry, Ed Snider may personally back up the trailer full of cash into Giroux's driveway next off-season when the Flyers can officially make him his next contract offer.

El Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 08:23 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

After thinking a little bit, does anyone else find it odd that Giroux is the only one who hasn't signed a contract with a structure similar to this? I'd assume it's because his deal will more than likely be the most lucrative out of the bunch.[/QUOTE]

Oh there is something odd here for sure As far as Giroux.He will have the most lucrative contract in team history. "When" is the key word.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 09:22 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Oh there is something odd here for sure As far as Giroux.He will have the most lucrative contract in team history. "When" is the key word.
It will depend on the CBA. Weber took a risk at getting the most money this summer because of it so Giroux might not get as much as some of these guys only because of bad timing. I can't believe the money and term that has been thrown around this summer, especially to a lot of average players. G deserves a ton but might not get it because he can't get an extension right now.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 09:33 AM
Go For It

Quote:

I wasn't trying to make it sound like he's not going to sign here or something. He's just the only young top-6 player I can think of who hasn't gotten a 4+ year deal lately.

Last edited by Go For It: 08-20-2012 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Quoting a quote broken.