HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Paul Ranger Signs AHL Contract? - Update: Signed with Marlies

Old
08-19-2012, 04:07 PM
The King of Town

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraLupin View Post
So am I completely missing something, or did Ranger just find a new way to get out of a contract? Shouldn't he still have time left on his Lightning deal, or did his "personal leave" count as workdays?
This has already been answered in this very thread.

He didn't "find a new way to get out of a contract". His contract expired, then he turned 27.

The King of Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 04:40 PM
Boltsfan2029

vCash: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleben85 View Post
a man who realizes he was not personally ready for the big leagues, and it wasnt fair to him or the club to continue pretending so he takes personal leave, offers to pay back the club for his missed time... that i can respect.

reality is we dont know yet what really happened. more than likely he would have been in contact w the lightning about a return and asked if he could stay close to home for now, while he works his way back.
It's true we don't know what really happened, and "a man who realizes he was not personally ready for the big leagues" is something we've never heard down here and is a huge assumption to make without any info to back it up. All we heard was he basically lost interest in playing the game and left for personal reasons.

Boltsfan2029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 04:44 PM
Huntershin Karuk
Horvat is Horfat

Wow, great news. He was a beast in NHL 07.

Huntershin Karuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 08:45 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
How do the Lightning not still own his rights?

He walked on them while still under contract. Ill tell you one thing, if he is trying to make a comeback and he didn't go straight to the Ligjtning first that's a dick move.
Free agent at 27 or 28, whatever it was.

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 08:59 PM
dubey
~manlets~

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDK View Post
Wow, great news. He was a beast in NHL 07.
What was his overall?

Knowing EA they'll add him back to NHL13 at ~85

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 09:06 PM
CorsiCounter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
What was his overall?

Knowing EA they'll add him back to NHL13 at ~85
88 if he ends up on the Canucks

CorsiCounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 09:41 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 50
Wasn't he rumoured to be enrolled in a university in Ottawa? Just speculation, but could this be to pay off student loans or further his education?

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 10:11 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Jay Feaster View Post
Wasn't he rumoured to be enrolled in a university in Ottawa? Just speculation, but could this be to pay off student loans or further his education?
I don't think so. He was a charitable and stand up guy off the ice. He didn't want to accept any pay for time he missed in the 2010 season. He wouldn't come back for money.

Old
08-19-2012, 10:15 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

I think people just kind of expected him, if he wanted to play, to say "hey SY, can we swing something with Toronto if I have a two way deal" or something. Maybe they tried. Who knows.

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 10:16 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1599
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Jay Feaster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04 View Post
I don't think so. He was a charitable and stand up guy off the ice. He didn't want to accept any pay for time he missed in the 2010 season. He wouldn't come back for money.
I believe he was registered for businesses classes for a year. there was a blurb on TSN about him last year that I caught very briefly

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 10:20 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still All In View Post
I think people just kind of expected him, if he wanted to play, to say "hey SY, can we swing something with Toronto if I have a two way deal" or something. Maybe they tried. Who knows.
for all we know, he approached the lightning, they offered an AHL-only deal as well, and he said he'd rather play close to home with the marlies.

Who knows what's in his contract, for all we know he could still end up in the NHL with the bolts at some point in the future if he proves himself to be nhl-ready.

08-19-2012, 11:09 PM
stanleyorbust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan2029 View Post
He can't possibly pick up where he left off, he can't be anywhere near in shape to play in the NHL. If he works himself back into shape and has overcome whatever it was that made him have no desire to play pro hockey, I would hope he would at least talk to Tampa, since we've bent over backwards to see him through... whatever the heck it was we saw him through. The door was always open for him to return, he was asked more than once if he was ready to return and reassured we'd be here when and if he decided to do so. A token conversation as appreciation of that would be a nice gesture, even if he has no intention of coming back here.
Hard to know what kind of shape he is in... But it will be an uphill battle for him to get his skill back after this long off. It might never come back to a level suited for NHL play.

As for the lightning situation. Hes.technically a UFA. Yes you can suggest he "owes" them for helping bring him into the league... But this is professional hockey, and he'll do whats best.for Paul Ranger, which might differ than whats best for the Lightning. Don't doubt for a minute the lightning wouldnt trade any player the minute it suited them. Teams/player loyalty is almost non existent.

stanleyorbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 02:45 AM
bassassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleyorbust View Post
Hard to know what kind of shape he is in... But it will be an uphill battle for him to get his skill back after this long off. It might never come back to a level suited for NHL play.

As for the lightning situation. Hes.technically a UFA. Yes you can suggest he "owes" them for helping bring him into the league... But this is professional hockey, and he'll do whats best.for Paul Ranger, which might differ than whats best for the Lightning. Don't doubt for a minute the lightning wouldnt trade any player the minute it suited them. Teams/player loyalty is almost non existent.
I don't think anyones suggesting that.

I would suggest he 'owes' Tampa for not tolling his contract while he left them in the lurch (any team would be when their number 2 dman ups and leaves after a handful of games), talking to the media about how he loved Tampa and would love to return if he does play pro hockey again......to go sign in Toronto.

As I stated before, dick move.

bassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 09:03 AM
CSampson

Interesting to see him possibly back.

Almost everything said about him in here has no factual standing.

What is a fact, however, is that he was registered at University of Ottawa as a business student. I confirmed this myself a couple years ago as I am alum and still can access all that old ****.

Wish him the best. As a Tampa fan, he has no obligation to the Bolts. I honestly wouldn't want him back at this point. He is a BIG "if" with regards to returning to his previous form. But more power to him if he can really make this come back.

CSampson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 09:09 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfgreg View Post
If this is true I would hope Paul consulted the Lightning first. I know we still had his rights as recently as last season.. if not he can suck it.
isn't he over 27? if so, you guys lost his RFA rights

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 09:15 AM
DG

Gotta love HF - guy leaves for personal reasons so that makes him an *******, naturally.

Key part: Next to no one (myself included) knows why he left. So naturally, the next logical step is to baselessly bash the guy.

For all you know, he had cancer and he's just a private person. Unlikely, yes, but the fact remains - nobody actually knows.

Anyways, would be a great story if he could make it back to the bigs. I hope he can.

DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 11:27 AM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
Gotta love HF - guy leaves for personal reasons so that makes him an *******, naturally.

Key part: Next to no one (myself included) knows why he left. So naturally, the next logical step is to baselessly bash the guy.

For all you know, he had cancer and he's just a private person. Unlikely, yes, but the fact remains - nobody actually knows.

Anyways, would be a great story if he could make it back to the bigs. I hope he can.
The issue is not about him taking a leave from the team. A lot of people were very understanding and respected that he needed to sort things out privately. That was never a problem. The problem could be him not making his come back with Tampa now that he's ready to return to the game, who up until July 1st held his rights while he was out for the past 3 years. There is a lot we don't know, so maybe it was his first option. What ever the reason may it be wanting to say closer to home or him needing a fresh start, I just hope he talked it over with Yzerman first. Yzerman really wanted to help and work with Ranger even if that meant him playing somewhere else.

TheDaysOf 04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 11:40 AM
DG

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04 View Post
The issue is not about him taking a leave from the team. A lot of people were very understanding and respected that he needed to sort things out privately. That was never a problem. The problem could be him not making his come back with Tampa now that he's ready to return to the game, who up until July 1st held his rights while he was out for the past 3 years. There is a lot we don't know, so maybe it was his first option. What ever the reason may it be wanting to say closer to home or him needing a fresh start, I just hope he talked it over with Yzerman first. Yzerman really wanted to help and work with Ranger even if that meant him playing somewhere else.
But this is another perfect example of information we don't know. For all we know, Ranger went to the Lightning and said "hey guys, I'm really sorry about the last few years, I'd play for free to make up for it if it was allowed under the CBA" or "Even if you paid me $6M a season, I wouldn't play in Tampa because I'm still working on x personal problem and I need to be close to home, but I'd love to come back one day when I can and I wish you all the best."

Instead, it seems that many people assume he stood out from of St. Pete's Time Forum in a Marlies jersey pissing on a Lightning flag while flipping the bird. Suggesting that it might be a possibility that he did something wrong is different than generally just ******** all over him without knowing anything that would support it.

Yes, I see that there could be a problem with him not coming back to Tampa first, but given the quotes from Yzerman, it seems unlikely. Of course it's possible, but why would we assume the worst of someone, who from all accounts, has always been a pretty good, honourable person?

DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 11:40 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
How do the Lightning not still own his rights?

He walked on them while still under contract. Ill tell you one thing, if he is trying to make a comeback and he didn't go straight to the Ligjtning first that's a dick move.
He was an RFA before 10-11 season and didn't have a contract in place. His age would now bring him to UFA status though never having played his RFA's years. Wouldn't his contract status slide?

Quote:
Which brings us back to Ranger. Yzerman said he left the door open for the 25-year-old blue-liner, whose rights the Lightning retains but who must sign by Dec. 1 if he is to play this season.
http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/lightn...roster-set-now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superunknown94 View Post
Aw man! Does this mean the threads will cease to exist.
Nope, this thread is a "whatever happened to Paul Ranger?" thread in disguise.

Personal issues aside, Ranger was made out of stud blueliner material. Always wanted Ranger to be a Ranger!

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 12:24 PM
Drouin2Stamkos

I have no problem with this as a TB fan. The guy had some issues and got them handled. Now hes ready to play hockey again. Good for him.

Drouin2Stamkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 12:25 PM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Personal issues aside, Ranger was made out of stud blueliner material. Always wanted Ranger to be a Ranger!
That just might have been the infinite jersey.

OneMoreAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 12:43 PM
Ola

Quote:

Nah, that doesn't fly with me. Very few posts in this thread defending him does. Or, I don't know what made him leave, but unless the nature of the reason he bolted is very sensetive (what do I know, like something that typically is very hard to talk about), that's atleast the case.

He is a public person in the entetainment business, by his own choice.

If Henrik Lundqvist played 8 games for my favorite team, the NYR, this upcoming season, and then just left and never returned to the NHL, I would actually feel that the decent thing for him to do is to tell his fans why he left. I don't buy the right to privacy BS thrown around. You stand up for the choices you make by my book, and when you sign up to play in the NHL and is paid millions for it, you give up some small parts of your right to privacy. And just "quitting" without saying why is, under most circumstances, one of the rights you do give up.

I do feel that he is entitled to leave.

I do not feel that he is entitled to leave without telling his fans why he left...

Unless, of course, the nature of the reason for why he left is very sensetive. Like, he wakes up one day and remebers being molested or whatever, sure, he got a right to not say that. Then he should sent out a presser saying like "I am leaving, the reason for it is very tough to talk about and I am grateful if you, the fans and media, accept that I will not answer questions about it. I hope to return one day. You have all been great to play for, and I am sorry that it has to end this way and that I let my team down. Bye."

And if its a mix of depression, fights with his GF, not having the motivation, and whatever, by my book, stand up and say so then.

So yeah, its not acceptable that he bolted without saying why he left...

Last edited by Ola: 08-20-2012 at 12:52 PM.
Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 12:51 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:

Also; if the roles were reversed and Ranger left the Maple Leafs and went to the Lightning, fans would be demanding compensation from the Lightning regardless of the situation. But since he went to a Canadian team, it's all good.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 01:13 PM
LightningStrikes
SFY

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassassin View Post
I don't think anyones suggesting that.

I would suggest he 'owes' Tampa for not tolling his contract while he left them in the lurch (any team would be when their number 2 dman ups and leaves after a handful of games), talking to the media about how he loved Tampa and would love to return if he does play pro hockey again......to go sign in Toronto.

As I stated before, dick move.
You're right but we don't have enough information. Yet.

LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 01:16 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

It seems like the only reason he signed with the Marlies is because it's close to home.

I don't think it has anything to do with allegiances with NHL teams. He's not even on an NHL contract.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote