HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

OT: Your Vancouver neighbourhood/area

Closed Thread

Old
08-20-2012, 03:10 AM
Youreallygotme

vCash: 500
OT: Your Vancouver neighbourhood/area

Just figured it would be cool to see some opinions and discussion about living in the different areas of Vancouver. Also, if you have some suggestions of little known hidden gems (cheap/good food, etc.) then share the love!

I live in Metrotown. I would give it a 7/10 overall.

Price: I pay 1100 for a 2 bedroom ground suite, about 1200 sq. feet and pretty new and nice. I've seen people pay a lot more for a lot less in shiestier places, so I'm very pleased. 8/10.

Character: unfortunately I find the neighbourhood lacks some soul. One pub around me and very few coffee shops. This is an asian section of town and unfortunately, it seems very segregated to me. It's too bad we can't have more integration from both ends here, but maybe in time. 5/10

Food: Mostly Asian, but very good and very cheap. 7/10.

Safety: I had my bike stolen from Metrotown with the lock on, and I've heard other things that make me think that you don't want to walk here alone at night, but so far I haven't seen too much to make me worry. 6/10

Transit: 10/10. Skytrain right on my doorstep.

Amentities: 9/10. Parks everywhere. Several grocery stores, and Crystal mall is a great place to get cheap produce. Two BCLs. Nice library and Bonsor Community Centre is great. Metropolis sucks but what can you do.

Diamond in the rough: Curry King on Kingsway and Patterson is great. You get three meals worth of food for 10 bucks. Also it's not indian food, it's a mix of different asian food. ALSO! Try this Halal Donair place in the Crystal mall on Kingsway and Willingdon. A really nice spot.

Your turn.

Old
08-20-2012, 03:36 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Richmond.

Price: Inflated real estate prices because Richmond is Chinese immigrants top destination. Watching the non-Chinese folks in my block move out one after another, relocating in White Rock, Langley, Cloverdale, Coquitlam, etc. Housing price here more than doubled around where I live for the last decade. 5/10

Traffic: Sucks. I can crawl faster on No.3 Road from Granville to Cambie than driving.

Character: Sucks. People don't care about each other. No hellos. No nods. Hell, if your neighbour hears your home alarm going ******* they'd just ignore it and won't bother calling the cops even if they see that your house is getting robbed. Last time I went to McDonald's at Blundell Center, I saw some Chinese lady bargaining for a cheaper price with the staff like it's a bazaar. 0.5/10

Food: Decent. High restaurant density around No.3 and Alexandra. Lacking in proper western food. Has great Asian food. 8/10

Safety: 9/10. Asian people like staying home, watching TV or playing video games. Not much going on here. Anything serious goes down there's only 3 escape routes, Arthur Laing, Route 91 and Blaine.
Transit: Meh.

Amenities: Not too bad. 3 ice rinks, plenty of outdoor basketball courts, parks, the dike, the wharf, temples, churches, etc. 9/10.

Diamond in the rough: RIC's M-F 9AM-3PM $5 stick and puck sessions.

Gets an 8/10 overall if you don't care about interacting with your neighbours and strangers and/or already own a piece of real estate here.

Old
08-20-2012, 06:20 AM
JBIZ14

Maybe I'll write more later when I have time...before moving to Lethbridge I grew up in Maple Ridge and lived in Marpole, Richmond, North Delta , Surrey, New West and Burnaby(Lougheed Mall area).

Besides my hometown I really enjoyed both Richmond and Burnaby.

Old
08-20-2012, 09:12 AM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youreallygotme View Post
Your turn.
Recently bought at Lakewood and 5th, love the neighbourhood.

The Drive, Broadway Station and St Augustine's for a huge beer list all equal good.

Old
08-20-2012, 09:23 AM
LickTheEnvelope
Decertified Poster

Live in North Van. Have lived also in the West End and in West Van.

Perks to all 3.

West Van is quiet and people stick to themselves... very expensive housing, not a huge amount of amenities and everything closes too early (even the 7-11 closes @ night...).

West End was nice. Lived right by Cole Harbour. Lots of things to do and restaurants everywhere, beach, stanley park were within minutes of me. Only issue was that I was used to having more space.

North Van is where I grew up and am back here now. Love the mountains... wish I had a bit more time this summer for hiking.

Old
08-20-2012, 09:50 AM
Marty Straka
Don't Stop Believin'

My girlfriend and I are looking to possibly move to Vancouver within the next year and are beginning to look at apartments. We have some friends who have a condo in Granville Island and have mentioned that this would be a great place to live along with places in the surrounding areas like Kitsilano, Fairview, Lonsdale.

Right now here in Ottawa I pay 1200$ for a 2 bed apartment on a student salary.. but by the time I move to Van.. i'll have finished my undergrad and will be available to work full-time and my gf will be in school for nursing. So I think i'd be comfortable spending up to 1400-1600$. Is this something that would be possible? I'm looking to maybe get a furnished place as I don't think it's worth the hassle or the money to move my crappy student furniture all the way out west lol. Any suggestions on where I should look? I know people have mentioned Craigslist too me and i'll also be needing to look to setup a job before heading out there.

Old
08-20-2012, 10:23 AM
Anodyne

I'm moving to Victoria September 1, but right now I live in the Mt. Pleasant/Mid-Main area.

Price: Not much cheaper than any other part of town, but my roommate and I found a pretty good hook-up that has us paying only $550 a month each. Groceries are also pretty cheap at the Buy-Low on Kingsway (not quite No-Frills territory, but close).

Character: Great. I love Main Street. It's not upscale but nowhere close to sketchy. The vibe is just chill and laid back. If I'm going out for dinner or drinking, I'd much rather go somewhere on Main than get stressed out in the drunk crowds downtown. I like that's it's a younger area, but it is a little hipster for my tastes.

Food: Mostly pubfare and fast food with some Asian cuisine and a couple upscale joints. I'd say you could find more or less anything you're looking for. I like The Five Points, Burgoo, and The Reef.

Safety: Never had any problems. But I'm pretty sure there are suppliers in the area. I see some very nice cars in front of some pretty lame houses. Occasionally, one of them will barrel-ass down my quiet street at around 80 going through every stop sign.

Transit: I love that the 003 route has the digital clocks telling you when the next bus. You never have to wait long for a quick ride to Main Street-Science World station/dt, and it's only a 15/20-minute walk to the King Edward station on the Canada Line. I feel pretty well served.

Amenities: Queen Elizabeth Park, which I love, is nearby. Not too much else recreation wise and it could be a boring area for people who like being busy, but you can get most errands done without going downtown.

Diamond in the Rough: Maverick's Sports Bar, a block over from 12th on Kingsway. To date, the cheapest drinking I've found in Vancouver (and it's not as much of a dump as it looks like from the outside). Everything on Main Street seems pretty exposed.

All things considered, I'd probably give this neighbourhood a 9/10. It's a fantastic place to spend your 20s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
Character: Sucks. People don't care about each other. No hellos. No nods. Hell, if your neighbour hears your home alarm going ******* they'd just ignore it and won't bother calling the cops even if they see that your house is getting robbed. Last time I went to McDonald's at Blundell Center, I saw some Chinese lady bargaining for a cheaper price with the staff like it's a bazaar. 0.5/10
I work in Richmond and have to say, it is possibly the most impersonal place I've ever been in my life. It definitely takes the cake for heartlessness on the lower mainland (except maybe for Steveston).

Last edited by Anodyne: 08-20-2012 at 11:04 PM.
Old
08-20-2012, 11:21 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Straka View Post
My girlfriend and I are looking to possibly move to Vancouver within the next year and are beginning to look at apartments. We have some friends who have a condo in Granville Island and have mentioned that this would be a great place to live along with places in the surrounding areas like Kitsilano, Fairview, Lonsdale.

Right now here in Ottawa I pay 1200$ for a 2 bed apartment on a student salary.. but by the time I move to Van.. i'll have finished my undergrad and will be available to work full-time and my gf will be in school for nursing. So I think i'd be comfortable spending up to 1400-1600$. Is this something that would be possible? I'm looking to maybe get a furnished place as I don't think it's worth the hassle or the money to move my crappy student furniture all the way out west lol. Any suggestions on where I should look? I know people have mentioned Craigslist too me and i'll also be needing to look to setup a job before heading out there.
Depends on where you're looking to work. A buddy of mine just rented out a 2 bed, 2 bath, 1 kitchen and 1 living room condo unit in central downtown for $2,500 per month. Maybe a grand less if you're looking at a studio or in Surrey/Burnaby. The more east you go, the cheaper it should be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anodyne View Post
I work in Richmond and have to say, it is possibly the most impersonal place I've ever been in my life. It definitely takes the cake for heartlessness on the lower mainland (except maybe for Steveston).
You wan bowl of beeef rice? Faaive dalla

It's more China than Chinatown.

Old
08-20-2012, 12:40 PM
dave babych returns

I'm in the Commercial Drive area, northeast of Commercial and 1st. I'd give this neighbourhood an 8/10 personally.

Price: I'm in a 2 BR and den in a well maintained but older apartment building. Frankly I'm paying a bit more than I should in this neighbourhood but I found the rental market ultracompetitive and frankly I really like the management in this building and the neighbourhood - it was worth it to me to pay more for a place that's just right than to hold out and wait for a good deal in the same neighbourhood to open up. 6/10.

Character: This is why you move to the Drive. It's full of gorgeous old houses in various states of repair, tons of weirdos (in the good and bad sense), kitschy shops, restaurants, parks, lots of good walks, bike routes, car free days, etc. Maybe a bit too much character for some, as you'll get your fill of hipsters and hippies here. Lots of socioeconomic 'diversity' here too, which is great in my books but many prefer to avoid. 9/10.

Food: This might also be why you move to the Drive. You can't walk two blocks without seeing a high quality coffee shop. I'm probably within a 15 minute walk of 40-50 eateries, ranging from $1.50/slice pizza and quick sushi places to fairly classy joints. There's Vietnamese, Jamaican, Italian, Salvadoran, pubs, Portuguese, vegatarian, sausage places.. need I go on. The biggest problem with the restaurants around here is how popular they are.10/10.

Safety: I'm not concerned but I avoid trouble and it tends to avoid me as I'm a fairly big guy (not bragging, just saying if I was a 5'2 woman I might feel differently). There is definitely property crime and vandalism around here, and it can feel pretty sketchy at night. That being said I've never seen anything around here to suggest genuine danger. Still, probably 5/10.

Transit: It's about a 15-20 minute walk to Broadway and Commercial which means a train into Burnaby, Downtown (and out to Richmond), the B-Line out to UBC, and if you're headed straight downtown you can walk 2 minutes to Commercial and grab the trolley bus there. 10/10.

Amenities: No complaints. There are boatloads of grocery stores, produce stands, delis and other specialty shops along the drive. There are a few medical clinics and dentists. We're pretty close to both Trout Lake community center and the Britannia complex which has a community center, a library, a pool, a rink.. 9/10.

Diamond in the rough: I don't know that you'll find anything 'in the rough' but I would say that 4 Brothers pizza and Sushi King are incredibly good despite much glitzier pizza and sushi places in the immediate vicinity. La Grotta Fromaggia is great for sandwiches as well, although looking at the lunchtime lineups you'd never think to say it is 'in the rough.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post

The Drive, Broadway Station and St Augustine's for a huge beer list all equal good.
Congrats. Love this area.

Quote:

$1600 is about the bottom end of the range for a 2 bedroom in the False Creek / South Granville area, and it's cut throat even trying to get those places. Be prepared to look at other areas or to think about paying a bit more - there will definitely be places in that range but it's pretty much luck of the draw whether you'll actually be able to get them.. especially moving in from outside of Vancouver.

We just moved in from out of town and I had several viewings of 2BR's in that price range fall through because they settled on a tenant before I could get there.

I don't know about furnished places personally but there do seem to be some of those around so it's worth a look. Kits might be a good place, it's a nice area and still close to lots of the city and a bit less competitive (for the most part).

Where is your GF going to be attending school? That would probably be a big factor in what neighbourhoods make sense..

Last edited by dave babych returns: 08-20-2012 at 12:52 PM.
Old
08-20-2012, 01:01 PM
Marty Straka
Don't Stop Believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave babych returns View Post
I'm in the Commercial Drive area, northeast of Commercial and 1st. I'd give this neighbourhood an 8/10 personally.

Price: I'm in a 2 BR and den in a well maintained but older apartment building. Frankly I'm paying a bit more than I should in this neighbourhood but I found the rental market ultracompetitive and frankly I really like the management in this building and the neighbourhood - it was worth it to me to pay more for a place that's just right than to hold out and wait for a good deal in the same neighbourhood to open up. 6/10.

Character: This is why you move to the Drive. It's full of gorgeous old houses in various states of repair, tons of weirdos (in the good and bad sense), kitschy shops, restaurants, parks, lots of good walks, bike routes, car free days, etc. Maybe a bit too much character for some, as you'll get your fill of hipsters and hippies here. Lots of socioeconomic 'diversity' here too, which is great in my books but many prefer to avoid. 9/10.

Food: This might also be why you move to the Drive. You can't walk two blocks without seeing a high quality coffee shop. I'm probably within a 15 minute walk of 40-50 eateries, ranging from $1.50/slice pizza and quick sushi places to fairly classy joints. There's Vietnamese, Jamaican, Italian, Salvadoran, pubs, Portuguese, vegatarian, sausage places.. need I go on. The biggest problem with the restaurants around here is how popular they are.10/10.

Safety: I'm not concerned but I avoid trouble and it tends to avoid me as I'm a fairly big guy (not bragging, just saying if I was a 5'2 woman I might feel differently). There is definitely property crime and vandalism around here, and it can feel pretty sketchy at night. That being said I've never seen anything around here to suggest genuine danger. Still, probably 5/10.

Transit: It's about a 15-20 minute walk to Broadway and Commercial which means a train into Burnaby, Downtown (and out to Richmond), the B-Line out to UBC, and if you're headed straight downtown you can walk 2 minutes to Commercial and grab the trolley bus there. 10/10.

Amenities: No complaints. There are boatloads of grocery stores, produce stands, delis and other specialty shops along the drive. There are a few medical clinics and dentists. We're pretty close to both Trout Lake community center and the Britannia complex which has a community center, a library, a pool, a rink.. 9/10.

Diamond in the rough: I don't know that you'll find anything 'in the rough' but I would say that 4 Brothers pizza and Sushi King are incredibly good despite much glitzier pizza and sushi places in the immediate vicinity. La Grotta Fromaggia is great for sandwiches as well, although looking at the lunchtime lineups you'd never think to say it is 'in the rough.'

Congrats. Love this area.

$1600 is about the bottom end of the range for a 2 bedroom in the False Creek / South Granville area, and it's cut throat even trying to get those places. Be prepared to look at other areas or to think about paying a bit more - there will definitely be places in that range but it's pretty much luck of the draw whether you'll actually be able to get them.. especially moving in from outside of Vancouver.

We just moved in from out of town and I had several viewings of 2BR's in that price range fall through because they settled on a tenant before I could get there.

I don't know about furnished places personally but there do seem to be some of those around so it's worth a look. Kits might be a good place, it's a nice area and still close to lots of the city and a bit less competitive (for the most part).

Where is your GF going to be attending school? That would probably be a big factor in what neighbourhoods make sense..
I'm perfectly comfortable going for a 1BDR as well.. but I wouldn't want to spend more then say... 1200-1400 range for that. My gf would probably try and transfer to UBC. Also.. We have friends who live on West 4th who have offered to let us stay with them until we find a place and settle in.

Old
08-20-2012, 01:07 PM
dave babych returns

Quote:
I'm perfectly comfortable going for a 1BDR as well.. but I wouldn't want to spend more then say... 1200-1400 range for that. My gf would probably try and transfer to UBC. Also.. We have friends who live on West 4th who have offered to let us stay with them until we find a place and settle in.
Yeah I would try for Kits or Kerrisdale or Dunbar. Still nice areas (if a little suburban) and you'll get far more bang for your buck than down near False Creek.

If you find a nice place between Burrard and Macdonald north of 4th you'd be a pretty quick - and absolutely gorgeous - walk along the water from Granville Island anyways.

Old
08-20-2012, 01:07 PM
archangel archangel

vCash: 50
The good part of commercial drive

Old
08-20-2012, 01:30 PM
ziploc

I've lived in the DTES for the last 8 years. Love it, but it's obviously not for everyone.

Price: Market rate for a 3 bedroom in my building is $1131, and you get tons of amenities, a beautiful view, and it's safe. Mind you, some people down here are paying $400-$600 for a slum hotel room, so the rents are really weird.

Character: You will be hard pressed to find a neighbourhood with as much character as the DTES. Generally very, very friendly, lots of outdoor activities, festivals, music, etc.. Right close to Gastown as well, which can be nice, though is crappy on the weekends when people come in to get drunk and start fights.

Food: There is good, cheap food to be had, and great expensive fare as well if you want. Lots of variety, great Chinese authentic Chinese food very close by.

Safety: Well...depends on what you're looking for. My place has never been broken into, but my van has twice. I have raised my 4 kids here, and we feel totally safe. I would walk around at any time of day or night. But obviously there are drug and mental health concerns. Mostly that stays within a certain community though. So if you are selling or buying drugs, or if you are a prostituted woman, life can be very, very dangerous down here. But if you are not mixed up in those scenes, it really isn't. Still, few people would consider it a "safe" neighbourhood.

Transit: Great. Close to skytrain and buses running all the time.

Amenities: Lots of playing fields, really close to BC Place and Roger's Arena, easy access to Playland, pretty close to St. Paul's hospital, two libraries within walking distance, lots of cheap, good gyms and community centres, detoxes and drug rehabs available if you need them, hard to beat really.

Diamond in the Rough: Dr. Sun Yat Sen classical chinese gardens. One of the most beautiful places in Vancouver, nestled in the heart of Chinatown, a block or two from some of the roughest areas in town. Go in there and feel like you have escaped from everything.

Old
08-20-2012, 02:01 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziploc View Post
Diamond in the Rough: Dr. Sun Yat Sen classical chinese gardens. One of the most beautiful places in Vancouver, nestled in the heart of Chinatown, a block or two from some of the roughest areas in town. Go in there and feel like you have escaped from everything.
I used to go there and read. Super chill place.

Old
08-20-2012, 05:07 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

I've been living in Simon Fraser Hills for the past 6 years:

Price: My family pays ~$1400/month (mortgage, utilities, condo) for a 3 bedroom + basement townhouse. Not a bargain but not bad either. Condo work was very shoddy when we first came but it's been improving ever since. 6.5/10

Character: It's a bedroom-ish neighbourhood so it doesn't have much in the way of personality. It's great for families building their nests - there are many elementary schools, a centrally located high school and SFU nearby so all the growing up can be done in the area. A fair area is taken up by warehouses, though, and there's hardly commerce outside of the Lougheed Mall/SFU area so for young adults/bachelors it can be downright boring. In terms of ethnic composition, it has a big immigrant population but the Koreans are the most visible group by far. 6.5/10

Food: Mostly Korean, Chinese and Japanese restaurants with a mix of chain restaurants like Denny's, McD's, etc. Nothing special but does the trick. 6.5/10

Safety: Hardly any concerns. You'll occasionally have the dumb **** high school students do something stupid but it's never anything of note. A few years ago some kid did shoot up the bus stop with an airsoft gun, though. 9/10

Transit: Busing (primarily 110/136/145) can be a bit unreliable but they do serve the neihghbourhood well. The SkyTrain stations (Production/Loguheed) are also very accessible and the Evergreen Line will make it easy to venture into Coquitlam too. 9/10

Amenities: Again, heavy school presence. Lougheed Mall is a short bus ride away and well within most residents' walking distance; nearby North Road has most other services - Wal-mart, Safeway, Gyms, Dental, Optical, you name it. There are also many parks/trails and Burnaby Mountain nearby so it's easy to enjoy the nature. There's also a rec center that is good for the funsies. Non-existent night life, though. 8.5/10.

Diamond in the rough: Stoney Creek. The area can often be looked over by newcomers, but those who grew up here know it's a very peaceful place where you can hike, bike and enjoy the smell and sound of nature.

Last edited by VinnyC: 08-20-2012 at 06:01 PM.
Old
08-20-2012, 05:46 PM
thefeebster

Get ready for a yuppie and a vancouver centric mentality.

Yaletown

Price: I own my apartment, bought it a while ago before the boom (been here 7 years). But there are frequent ads on our bulletin board, looks like 1 bdrm rent is around $1150-1200 in my building. I love my building, looking to upgrade to a 2 bdrm in the same building. 24/7 Concierge (they sign for all my packages, love shopping online), security guards after hours, cleaning ladies for the common areas every day, pool, gym, theatre, pool table room.

Character: As you would expect, mainly yuppies. Most keep to themselves. Personally I prefer it. I loathe some of the people who live on my floor. I have a strong dislike for any pot smell, literally gag worthy and to have it wafting into my apartment is disgusting. And this same neighbour beats his girlfriend and when he yells, he sounds demonic. On the other side of my unit is a asian boyfriend who seems to like making his girlfriend cry. Can't wait until these two move. I'm fairly close to the stadiums (2-3minutes walk), so on weekends, there's usually a game day buzz. I can actually hear the chanting if the roof is open. I feel its a pretty chill area with a bit of arrogance.

Food: Bleh. You'd think in downtown there is a lot of stuff to eat, but my area specifically is a dead zone. Have to walk 10-15 minutes to get a good place. Yaletown itself is over-priced and all generic. The Cactus club/Keg/Earls/Yaletown Brewery/Sport pubs... etc. If you want to see anyone related to the Canucks, they frequent Glowbal intensely. During camp, prospects are always walking around here either hanging out or eating.

Safety: I feel its a very safe area and a remarkably quiet on the streets after 8. Rarely do i see or hear of break ins on my block. However, there have been a few police incidents i've seen. Mainly hit and runs, once where a car chase led to my roundabout (about 8-10 squad cars that time), drunkards on the street beating each other up or domestic violence where i called once.

Transit: one bus comes around here, its route changes more than i can remember, leading me to many places I did not want. But i am equally 6-7 minutes to the expo/millennium line at Stadium and the canada line at Yaletown. Best of both worlds, and one of the major reasons why i refuse to look elsewhere. I transit everywhere but have a car for convenience/weekends.

Amenties:
- 2 stadiums a stone throw away
- a police station across the bridge, a fire station 2 blocks away, just about equal time between VGH and St.Pauls so in case of emergency, I would be fine.
- 5 minute walk away from VPL
-10 minute walk away from Granville shopping, 15 to the heart of Robson shopping
-Across the Cambie bridge, there is Save on, No Frills, Home Depot. I walk across the bridge a lot, timed it at 15 min avg. A 5 min walk away from my favorite, Costco, or 10 min to T&T/Tinseltown.
-Important to me is yoga. My studio is 5 minutes away walking.
- Hopefully the Aquilini's plans of a new rink and casino go through. I used to drive to RIC as Wilch mentioned as a steal @$5. Loved their 6 hour skating sessions.

Diamond in the Rough: Yamato Sushi. Decent Sushi that will get you full for cheap. Always take out from this place. Also love the Emery Barnes Park. They've done such a good job in this park for kids and adults alike.

Can not imagine living elsewhere, even in the downtown core. The Burbs are not even in my consideration.

Old
08-20-2012, 05:47 PM
Callhee
Embrace the hate.

Quote:

I live literally 5 minutes away. Great area to live, very centralized and close to EVERYTHING. Mostly family sub-urbanites.

Superstore, Price-smart, Safeway, Donald's Market, Famous Foods, Canadian Tire, Staples, Wal-mart, Costco, T&T, Fujiya, and many more are 5-10 minute drives away. 5 minute walk to Broadway and Commercial skytrain stations. Great selection of food nearby, especially on The Drive.

Old
08-20-2012, 05:55 PM
Vancouver Blazers
1973-1975

Burnaby near Metrotown

Amenities: 8/10, nothing late night

Night life: 2/10... only liquor store within 20 minutes closes at 6 pm.. Kabul has a better night life than Metrotown Burnaby

Old
08-20-2012, 06:25 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenrir604 View Post
I live literally 5 minutes away. Great area to live, very centralized and close to EVERYTHING. Mostly family sub-urbanites.

Superstore, Price-smart, Safeway, Donald's Market, Famous Foods, Canadian Tire, Staples, Wal-mart, Costco, T&T, Fujiya, and many more are 5-10 minute drives away. 5 minute walk to Broadway and Commercial skytrain stations. Great selection of food nearby, especially on The Drive.
Definitely love the neighbourhood. Mostly owner occupied homes, people care about the area and actually know the people around them. A big step up from living in Yaletown for the most part. A yard, no 30 story elevator trip, etc al lfor the horrendous price of $###,###.##.

My parents laughed when they saw my PTT was more than their first house in the late 60s. ********* Bill Vanderzalm.

Old
08-20-2012, 06:29 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave babych returns View Post

DBR, my wife is all of 120 lbs maybe and she has little issue walking here at night. Comm/Broadway corner can be sketchy, but no worse than any other part of the city at night. It was no better in Yaletown, just different.

But there certainly is petty crime crap that is a nuisance. Lock your car, even when it's moving.

Old
08-20-2012, 06:38 PM
thefeebster

Quote:
DBR, my wife is all of 120 lbs maybe and she has little issue walking here at night. Comm/Broadway corner can be sketchy, but no worse than any other part of the city at night. It was no better in Yaletown, just different.

But there certainly is petty crime crap that is a nuisance. Lock your car, even when it's moving.
Lol. I walked into the Blenz on that corner to use the washroom because i was holding it in since Production Way. I see a dirty looking man and woman walk out of a restroom together. I was hesitant to walk in but i was so desperate. There were footmarks on the seat and dirt in the bowl. I ran out as fast as i could. Either they had a quickie or they just rubbed crap all over the toilet seat. It wasn't at all salvageable with a toilet paper cover.

I was waiting for the 99 on that corner with my headphones on. This creepy old man walks really close to me and starts talking even though i am ignoring him. He continues to hit on me until i walk very far away. I was lucky someone was around and stood by that person. Don't know what the heck he was going to do, looked crazy. Honestly, i felt threatened and my heart was racing.

My cousin's wife worked at that Shoppers pharmacy. She has endless stories about the weirdos and drug addicts that walk in there.

Yaletown has some bums that wander, namely a guy that has a jesus type beard and carries around a sleeping bag as a security blanket, but i have never met any really aggressive ones.

Old
08-20-2012, 06:43 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
Lol. I walked into the Blenz on that corner to use the washroom because i was holding it in since Production Way. I see a dirty looking man and woman walk out of a restroom together. I was hesitant to walk in but i was so desperate. There were footmarks on the seat and dirt in the bowl. I ran out as fast as i could. Either they had a quickie or they just rubbed crap all over the toilet seat. It wasn't at all salvageable with a toilet paper cover.

I was waiting for the 99 on that corner with my headphones on. This creepy old man walks really close to me and starts talking even though i am ignoring him. He continues to hit on me until i walk very far away. I was lucky someone was around and stood by that person. Don't know what the heck he was going to do, looked crazy. Honestly, i felt threatened and my heart was racing.

My cousin's wife worked at that Shoppers pharmacy. She has endless stories about the weirdos and drug addicts that walk in there.

Yaletown has some bums that wander, namely a guy that has a jesus type beard and carries around a sleeping bag as a security blanket, but i have never met any really aggressive ones.
Doesn't even need to be the bums. In fact. the drunken suburbanites partying in the city are the greatest menace.

Like I said, different, but not any worse/better.

Old
08-20-2012, 06:53 PM
thefeebster

Quote:
Doesn't even need to be the bums. In fact. the drunken suburbanites partying in the city are the greatest menace.

Like I said, different, but not any worse/better.
I feel its significantly worse in the Commercial Broadway area. I feel vulnerable in that area, personal safety is just about out the window. I don't even feel safe in my car passing that area and much less parking in that area when we eat there. I'd like to meet someone who would say Yaletown is as sketchy as that area. I'd be shocked.

There are relatively no aggressive regular bums in Yaletown, there are several at Commercial Broadway. Yes, there are some drunk people around Yaletown, but significantly more on Granville, which is not considered Yaletown.

From going out in Yaletown, all these drunkards do is yell loudly and are "woooo"-ing for absolutely no reason and those are mostly women, these woo girls.

Old
08-20-2012, 07:37 PM
Verviticus

vCash: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
And this same neighbour beats his girlfriend and when he yells, he sounds demonic... domestic violence where i called once.
i really hope these incidents are related and you don't just ignore frequent incidents of this dude beating his girlfriend

Old
08-20-2012, 08:10 PM
Reverend Mayhem
1 for you, 19 for me

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Price: Metro Vancouver what do expect? As of now, everything is inflated. 3/10

Character: Zero night life, indifferent people, some good parks and recreation but hard to find, community is just meh 3/10

Food: One of the better attributes. Very diverse, easy to find a donair shop, sushi place or just fast food. 8/10

Safety: Only property crime happens if you are not cautious enough. Still it's Canada you can leave your door unlocked all day and there is a very good chance you don't get robbed. Violent crime you have to usually look for yourself, just keep your mouth shut, you should be fine. Bears not a real concern. 8/10

Transit: Real easy to get out of this place. Though buses can be pretty late sometimes. 7/10

Amentities: We got a library and a rec center within a stone's throw. Parks scattered all around and a wharf within walking distance. Not bad, not great though. 5/10

Diamond in the rough: Go to any donair place. There's your diamond. 9/10

Mary Hill area of Port Coquitlam

Closed Thread