HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

St. Louis Blues Top Prospect #9

View Poll Results: #9
Brett Ponich, D 1 2.63%
Sam Kurker, RW 5 13.16%
Philip McRae, C 22 57.89%
Joel Edmundson, D 0 0%
MacKenzie MacEachern, LW 1 2.63%
Sebastian Wannstrom, RW 4 10.53%
Dmitrij Jaskin, RW 1 2.63%
Jori Lehtera, C 1 2.63%
Yannick Veilleux, LW 0 0%
Evgeny Grachev, C 3 7.89%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-16-2012, 03:43 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

vCash: 500
St. Louis Blues Top Prospect #9

Defenseman Cade Fairchild takes the 8 spot with 61.7% of the vote.

Top Prospects
#1 Vladimir Tarasenko, RW, 6'0, 191, 12/13/1991 (92.16%)
#2 Jaden Schwartz, LW, 5'9, 179, 6/25/1992 (92.5%)
#3 Ty Rattie, RW, 6'0, 167, 2/5/1993 (57.38%)
#4 Ian Cole, D, 6'1, 225, 2/21/1989 (75.61%)
#5 Jake Allen, G, 6'2, 195, 8/7/1990 (73.33%)
#6 Jordan Schmaltz, D, 6'2, 170, 10/8/1993 (38.1%)
#7 Jani Hakanpaa, D, 6'5, 218, 3/31/1992 (64.71%)
#8 Cade Fairchild, D, 5'11, 175, 1/15/1989 (61.7%)

Please vote and comment on who you'd like to be added

bluesfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 03:47 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

This is where it gets interesting to me.

Old
08-16-2012, 03:51 PM
stlweir

After the lock out McRae would have been a top 9 forward. Timing is everything. Good face off man, can play D and supply some offense, I just don't know if he skates well enough to be anything more than a fringe NHLer. From here it is a crap shoot. Edmunson is a maybe if he can improve his skating, the two high schoolers are definite unknowns, Ponich seems to be lacking in everything but size, don't know about the Euro guys and who knows about goalies. Jaskin has not done anything yet to get excited about. It appears most of the players going forward need to prove themselves as being potential NHLERS.

Last edited by stlweir: 08-16-2012 at 03:59 PM.
stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 04:26 PM
Thekidline

Went with Kurker here... looks like he could be a very strong all around player in a few years.... and I am sick of waiting on McRae who is someone I was very high on at one point.

Thekidline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 05:30 PM
Lifetimebluesfan

I don't know ANYTHING about this years draft picks so I'll just guess..
9. McCrae
10. Edmundson
11. Ponich
12. Andronov
13. Beach
14. Jaskin
15. ?

Lifetimebluesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 05:36 PM
Christmas Izzy
FollowmeonInstagram!

Mcrae kinda fits the Blues style, and he's got some real potential.

Christmas Izzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 06:33 PM
Robb_K

I had to go with McRae, as he is a lot closer than the others, despite some of the others having higher upside potential, but a lot higher risk of their not reaching (or possibly not even approaching that high level).

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 06:59 PM
STL fan in IA

There's about 5 guys I rate pretty much the same here. In the end though, it came down to McRae and Wannstrom with McRae edging out Wannstrom.

I'm surprised how little love Wannstom is getting so far. He's a good two way player that can fit on either a scoring or checking line. Because of that kind of versitility, he's got a decent shot to make it IMO. I'll be interested to see how he adapts to the AHL this season.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 06:59 PM
CoMoBlues
Jori's here!!!

Went with McRae here, but think both him AND Lehtera deserve to be in our top 10

CoMoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 07:15 PM
ChicagoBlues

Kinda like Robb_K posted, gotta go with McRae. He's the closest to being NHL-ready among the current group on the ballot. I've still got Jaskin at #10.

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 08:14 PM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
There's about 5 guys I rate pretty much the same here. In the end though, it came down to McRae and Wannstrom with McRae edging out Wannstrom.

I'm surprised how little love Wannstom is getting so far. He's a good two way player that can fit on either a scoring or checking line. Because of that kind of versitility, he's got a decent shot to make it IMO. I'll be interested to see how he adapts to the AHL this season.
I agree. I think if Andronov is truly coming over, then he too should be right there with these two. Gives the Blues lots of depth.

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 01:38 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

I went with Wannstrom. I recognize that McRae is closer but McRae was projected as a possible top-six player when drafted and now we're kinda hoping he becomes a bottom-six line center. McRae can jump back up in my eyes, but he'll need a strong season in Peoria to do it. Until that happens, I'm going Wannstrom for the top-six skill. Him coming over pushes him up a bit.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 01:50 AM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryTurnbullfan View Post
I agree. I think if Andronov is truly coming over, then he too should be right there with these two. Gives the Blues lots of depth.
I'm going to wait on Andronov actually signing and coming over before I count him. To me, him telling CSKA that he was signing with the Blues yet the Blues were completely taken off guard by that tells me that it could've simply have been a negotiating ploy and CSKA's GM (Fedorov) called his bluff. Even if he does come over though, I still wouldn't quite put him at the same level as McRae or Wannstrom. The next 5-10 prospects all have similar odds of making it at this point though so who each of us prefers is going to vary widely I think.

Old
08-17-2012, 01:59 AM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
I went with Wannstrom. I recognize that McRae is closer but McRae was projected as a possible top-six player when drafted and now we're kinda hoping he becomes a bottom-six line center. McRae can jump back up in my eyes, but he'll need a strong season in Peoria to do it. Until that happens, I'm going Wannstrom for the top-six skill. Him coming over pushes him up a bit.
The reason why I almost voted Wannstrom over McRae is because I think that he projects better as a bottom-6 NHL forward than McRae. My worry about McRae is him potentially becoming a tweeter who never really makes it as a successful NHLer - not quite good enough for the top-6 and lacking enough intangibles to make a successful bottom-6er as well. Wannstom on the other hand has a very solid two-way game with good intangibles. He has the skill to play in a scoring role but I see him ultimately mostly developing into an NHL 3rd liner. McRae has slightly higher potential but I think Wannstrom is more projectable and a bit of a safer bet.

Now that I've spelled that out, I think I'd take Wannstrom over McRae at this point so I just changed my own mind, lol! Still though, McRae is a much more known commodity but Wannstrom can really move up or down in these rankings depending on how well he adapts to the AHL this season.

Old
08-17-2012, 03:34 AM
Jzk

vCash: 750
Voted McRae. Grachev/Wannstrom should go next. After them maybe Andronov if he's coming over.

Jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 03:42 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
The reason why I almost voted Wannstrom over McRae is because I think that he projects better as a bottom-6 NHL forward than McRae. My worry about McRae is him potentially becoming a tweeter who never really makes it as a successful NHLer - not quite good enough for the top-6 and lacking enough intangibles to make a successful bottom-6er as well. Wannstom on the other hand has a very solid two-way game with good intangibles. He has the skill to play in a scoring role but I see him ultimately mostly developing into an NHL 3rd liner. McRae has slightly higher potential but I think Wannstrom is more projectable and a bit of a safer bet.

Now that I've spelled that out, I think I'd take Wannstrom over McRae at this point so I just changed my own mind, lol! Still though, McRae is a much more known commodity but Wannstrom can really move up or down in these rankings depending on how well he adapts to the AHL this season.
That sentence describes me!!

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 06:55 AM
ChicagoBlues

Actually, I totally forgot that Wannstrom is going to be in Peoria next season, so that automatically puts him at #10 and bumps down Jaskin.

Old
08-17-2012, 07:03 AM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jzk View Post
Voted McRae. Grachev/Wannstrom should go next. After them maybe Andronov if he's coming over.
Hopefully Andronov makes his way to North America, but I would have him behind Ponich. Andronov needs at least a solid season and a half in the AHL and still may see only spot duty on the Blues after that if all works out. I can see Ponich making a good bid, but falling just short in the 2013 training camp.

Whereas, Wannstrom has the skill to make an impact on the Blues once he has acclimated to North American style. Perhaps there is something I am missing with Andronov. All moot for now anyway.

Old
08-17-2012, 12:16 PM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
Hopefully Andronov makes his way to North America, but I would have him behind Ponich. Andronov needs at least a solid season and a half in the AHL and still may see only spot duty on the Blues after that if all works out. I can see Ponich making a good bid, but falling just short in the 2013 training camp.

Whereas, Wannstrom has the skill to make an impact on the Blues once he has acclimated to North American style. Perhaps there is something I am missing with Andronov. All moot for now anyway.
Skillwise Ponich will never be appreciated, but you have to love the intangibles. We haven't had anyone like him since Matt Walker or Robert Dirk. Hopefully, he will be a better shut down defender and his skills develop to top six. I always liked having at least one defenseman who could play and take care of business with the biggest and baddest, if necessary. Really don't have that right now.

Old
08-17-2012, 05:37 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryTurnbullfan View Post
Skillwise Ponich will never be appreciated, but you have to love the intangibles. We haven't had anyone like him since Matt Walker or Robert Dirk. Hopefully, he will be a better shut down defender and his skills develop to top six. I always liked having at least one defenseman who could play and take care of business with the biggest and baddest, if necessary. Really don't have that right now.
The thing I like about Ponich is that he works hard. He ain't pretty out there, but he gets the job done. It may seem like there might not be a slot for him in 2013 (and I don't think he'll be quite ready), but we know how quickly things can change. Come training camp in 2013 the Blues' defensive landscape could have a hole.

Old
08-17-2012, 06:49 PM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
The thing I like about Ponich is that he works hard. He ain't pretty out there, but he gets the job done. It may seem like there might not be a slot for him in 2013 (and I don't think he'll be quite ready), but we know how quickly things can change. Come training camp in 2013 the Blues' defensive landscape could have a hole.
Think in a few years of a D of Pie, Shattenkirk, Hakanpaa, Ponich, Edmundson, Parayko, Walters That's some big boys that may not make it too fun to skate in the offensive zone. Kind of reminds of the days of Stevens, Brown, Featherstone, Dirk, Marois, Snepsts, Cavallini. I sincerely hope that Ponich can improve to the nhl level along with Edmundson and Walters. That would be fun to watch along with the offensive of Pie and Shattenkirk/Schmaltz.

Old
08-20-2012, 10:19 AM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1248937