HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Careers in Kelowna & Area

Old
08-12-2012, 09:35 AM
smokes lets go

vCash: 500
Careers in Kelowna & Area

Hello Canuck fans, i moved out to Kelowna from Ontario 2 years ago for university (UBC-O). This province is amazing, everything about it I love and i plan on living here for the rest of my life. Problem is, im graduating with a business degree and kelowna doesn't seem to have many job openings in my feel field, let alone ones with opportunity for a
nice career. I see alot of rich people in kelowna too, alot are retired but there's still locals with money i see. I am just curious if anyone can guide me on well-paying jobs in Kelowna or similar places. I actually plan on taking a semester off and ski-buming in revelstoke, but it would be amazing to have a well-paying career in which i could live in one of the many ski towns in the area. If anyone can shine some light and point me in the right direction that would be great. Right now im considering being an electrician. My brother makes a killing working 14 days on/off at a camp site in prince george, allowing him to have his house almost anywhere he wants. Thanks in advance for feedback!

smokes lets go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 04:50 PM
smokes lets go

deleted

Last edited by smokes lets go: 08-20-2012 at 09:56 AM. Reason: delete
Old
08-14-2012, 05:35 PM
Reign Nateo

If we knew where to find well paying jobs in the Okanagan we'd all be there my friend...

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 05:59 PM
CrazyJ

vCash: 1295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
If we knew where to find well paying jobs in the Okanagan we'd all be there my friend...
Love it, so true. To OP, maybe ask around your school, profs might be able to offer some advice...

CrazyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 01:54 AM
mrbitterguy

i haven't lived in kelowna for at least 20 years but all i remember is that the rich people there were businesses owners. you own a construction company, real estate development company, manufacturing company then you can write your ticket. not a lot of jobs in finance, or as corporate executive because all those companies are small/medium and a lot of family owned/operated.

you want to be rich in a place like that, be entrepreneurial. start your own business. go work for someone in the field you like, learn the ropes and then step out on your own.

mrbitterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 02:10 AM
topched88

^^^ hit the nail on the head... I Just got my finance degree this spring and I got passed over at a bank for some girl i took home from a strip club once...Kelowna is all about who you know my friend!

topched88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 02:42 AM
nameless1
HF's Poet Laureate

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched88 View Post
^^^ hit the nail on the head... I Just got my finance degree this spring and I got passed over at a bank for some girl i took home from a strip club once...Kelowna is all about who you know my friend!
There's a strip club in Kelowna?

How did you find out?
Did you just happen to go to the bank again and see her there?

nameless1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 11:26 AM
blaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripper View Post
Hello Canuck fans, i moved out to Kelowna from Ontario 2 years ago for university (UBC-O). This province is amazing, everything about it I love and i plan on living here for the rest of my life. Problem is, im graduating with a business degree and kelowna doesn't seem to have many job openings in my feel field, let alone ones with opportunity for a
nice career. I see alot of rich people in kelowna too, alot are retired but there's still locals with money i see. I am just curious if anyone can guide me on well-paying jobs in Kelowna or similar places. I actually plan on taking a semester off and ski-buming in revelstoke, but it would be amazing to have a well-paying career in which i could live in one of the many ski towns in the area. If anyone can shine some light and point me in the right direction that would be great. Right now im considering being an electrician. My brother makes a killing working 14 days on/off at a camp site in prince george, allowing him to have his house almost anywhere he wants. Thanks in advance for feedback!

I am an electrician and I work in the oil patch in Alberta, 14 days on and 7 off. If you are truly considering it...

Pro's:

-Stupid money... 1st year apprentice will gross ~$85,000 and journeyman ~$120,000
-I get a 7 day vacation every 3 weeks
-It is really interesting working with people from all across Canada
-The work itself is amazing (this is obviously an opinion, but if you like building stuff...)
-Everything is paid for while you are at camp. (Food, shelter) You couldn't spend money if you tried. It is an extremely easy way to save money.

Cons:

-Relationship difficulties
-Alberta winter, Alberta summer
-Missing certain holidays. Although you will get every Christmas off.
-Facing the wrath of BC hippy environmentalists when they find out what where you work (I am not joking)

It is not something to do forever, but 5 years would give you enough money to get a nice place, have some fun and keep some savings for when you decide to stay in Kelowna. It is a means to an end.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...rticle4472056/

There is already a shortage a workers here and as that article states the industry is only getting bigger. It is definitely not for everyone, but if you are a hard worker with half a brain and good with money (or let a financial planner be good with your money) you can set yourself up for the rest of your life in about 5 years.

Hope I helped!

I should add that a lot of those rich people you see probably have a hand in the oil and gas industry. It is bigger than most people can imagine.

blaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 12:38 PM
Sugarhigh

I live in Kelowna and unfortunately there isn't much work to be had here... as mentioned earlier most of the folks with money here either own their own business or work in the patch.

BUT if you do find a worthwhile job (like i did) its an amazing place to live, its a true four season playground

Sugarhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 12:51 PM
mchose

I go to UBC-O

mchose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 01:07 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
Lol. It sucks because it's true. My wife and are better off in Vancouver with a close to 7 figure mortgage then we'd be in Penticton in a 400k house.

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 04:57 PM
wetcoastwhale

We moved to the Shuswap/North Okanagan a couple years ago from Vancouver.

My wife and I are both health care professionals, so we were able to find employment, though we are aware that the move was a step backwards career-wise. We have met dozens of young professionals who have made a similar move for lifestyle reasons, and very few have regretted it. I live in a part of the province people dream of vacationing in all winter long, it is a great place to raise a family, and I live in a beautiful house on a double lot and didn't have to win the lottery to do so.

It is my observation that there aren't a tonne of high paying jobs for people without an education/profession, and there are many "unskilled" people who have had to take camp jobs in the north. Whatever works.

wetcoastwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 05:09 PM
Free Torts

vCash: 883
Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
I hear there's plenty of careers if you're interested in organized crime.

Free Torts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 09:49 PM
topched88

Quote:
Originally Posted by nameless1 View Post
There's a strip club in Kelowna?

How did you find out?
Did you just happen to go to the bank again and see her there?
1) Yes there is a few!
2) I went back for more and she told me she got a job at the TD I had applied too...girl can barely tie her shoes but she looks nice when shes dressed up.

topched88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 09:56 PM
kurt
the last emperor

1) Hell's Angels.
2) Work in oil & gas 80% of your life.
3) Try to be born into money.
4) Be really smart, hardworking, talented, and lucky.

1 + 2 + 3 + 4 = Kelowna

kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 10:40 PM
nameless1
HF's Poet Laureate

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched88 View Post
1) Yes there is a few!
2) I went back for more and she told me she got a job at the TD I had applied too...girl can barely tie her shoes but she looks nice when shes dressed up.
Interesting...
More things for my "To Do List" when I visit Kelowna.

A buddy of mine had a similar experience with TD.
It's the culture.
They expect you to be outgoing and not afraid to put yourself out there.

Hopefully you landed something better.

nameless1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 09:48 AM
smokes lets go

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaney View Post
I am an electrician and I work in the oil patch in Alberta, 14 days on and 7 off. If you are truly considering it...

Pro's:

-Stupid money... 1st year apprentice will gross ~$85,000 and journeyman ~$120,000
-I get a 7 day vacation every 3 weeks
-It is really interesting working with people from all across Canada
-The work itself is amazing (this is obviously an opinion, but if you like building stuff...)
-Everything is paid for while you are at camp. (Food, shelter) You couldn't spend money if you tried. It is an extremely easy way to save money.

Cons:

-Relationship difficulties
-Alberta winter, Alberta summer
-Missing certain holidays. Although you will get every Christmas off.
-Facing the wrath of BC hippy environmentalists when they find out what where you work (I am not joking)

It is not something to do forever, but 5 years would give you enough money to get a nice place, have some fun and keep some savings for when you decide to stay in Kelowna. It is a means to an end.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...rticle4472056/

There is already a shortage a workers here and as that article states the industry is only getting bigger. It is definitely not for everyone, but if you are a hard worker with half a brain and good with money (or let a financial planner be good with your money) you can set yourself up for the rest of your life in about 5 years.

Hope I helped!

I should add that a lot of those rich people you see probably have a hand in the oil and gas industry. It is bigger than most people can imagine.
thank you for the info, much appreciated! I want to try it because of the stupid money and it would allow me to have a good living here in kelowna. My parents would likely flip after all the money they spent on my schooling though I guess working at a camp job for a while and then opening my own small business would make it worth it with my management degree though, it would actually be a good combination. I also hear its really easy to quit and come back, which would be really nice as you could save a lot and go tavelling, then have a job waiting for you when you return

Last edited by smokes lets go: 08-20-2012 at 09:57 AM.