HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

MTL/Dallas

Old
08-20-2012, 12:45 PM
IglooBoy
CH fan in Flamesland

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillmike View Post
I know this is OT, but how the hell is a guy who has managed to play 65 games over the past 3 seasons (39 pt's) supposed to make that big of an impact on MTL? Did I mention he's 33?
Don't worry, if he doesn't score 5 goals or have at least 10 points 15 games into the season, they'll be thread after thread after thread about how he is too old, should not have resigned him, makes too much money, taking ice time from younger guys, is Russian, doesn't like poutine, is bald, (did I miss anything?).

If he can remain healthy he will help on 'd', provide leadership to the younger players, and help out the power play. I don't expect miracles or that Montreal's offensive game will go through the Bell Centre roof thanks to him, but his presence will help the team.

IglooBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 02:08 PM
TrillMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by IglooBoy View Post
Don't worry, if he doesn't score 5 goals or have at least 10 points 15 games into the season, they'll be thread after thread after thread about how he is too old, should not have resigned him, makes too much money, taking ice time from younger guys, is Russian, doesn't like poutine, is bald, (did I miss anything?).
Nope. Think you covered pretty much everything.

TrillMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 02:18 PM
IglooBoy
CH fan in Flamesland

Quote:
I thought so. I've been out of Montreal for two years now so maybe I missed something.

IglooBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 02:19 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Except the part about how getting a 55 point a season d-man back has a tendency to help the team that gets him back - especially if their biggest weakness was defence.

A contending team with deep pockets is a much more likely destination then Dallas if a player like Markov were to be traded, btw.

Frozenice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 02:35 PM
TrillMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
Except the part about how getting a 55 point a season d-man back has a tendency to help the team that gets him back - especially if their biggest weakness was defence.

A contending team with deep pockets is a much more likely destination then Dallas if a player like Markov were to be traded, btw.
I wouldn't call someone a 55 pt d-man if he hasn't done it since 07-08. If we're using those numbers Morrow is a 74 pt power forward. Both played in 82 games that year btw.

When did I say I thought Markov would come to Dallas? We're getting younger and most of our "top" prospects are d-man a year or 2 away.

TrillMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 02:53 PM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
Quote:
I know this is OT, but how the hell is a guy who has managed to play 65 games over the past 3 seasons (39 pt's) supposed to make that big of an impact on MTL? Did I mention he's 33?
2005-2006 PP% 19.2% 6th
2006-2007 PP% 22.8% 1st
2007-2008 PP% 24.1% 1st
2008-2009 PP% 19.2% 13th
2009-2010 PP% 21.8% 2nd
2010-2011 PP% 19.7% 7th
2011-2012 PP% 14.3% 28th

You can sustain a good PP % without a PP quarterback for half a season, or you can throw future to salvage your PP like the habs did with Wisnewski in 2010-2011.

Markov is a difference maker on a PP, that's a given. That would probably be the last part of his game that will be affected by his injury (age, skating issues perhaps, lack of interest to go into the corner, i dont know we'll see).

A half capable Markov still helps the Habs greatly in that area, he can do it all on a PP.

Anksun is offline   Reply With Quote