HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Now suppose the cap floor drops...

Old
08-18-2012, 01:44 PM
Harnessed in Slums

vCash: 500
Now suppose the cap floor drops...

There obviously isn't much going on right now so this is just pointless speculation. The owners are obviously going to get some concessions from the players. One will likely be a lower salary cap floor. There are some franchises that will race to the cap floor as quickly as possible.

A halfway point between the current floor and the one the owners proposed would be right around $46 million. Phoenix would have to add another $1.2 million to get to the cap floor so they probably wouldn't be looking to shed salary unless they bring Shane Doan back.

This is just a quick look at some teams that might want to get down to the mid $40 million mark if that ends up being the new floor. Then I am looking at some players they might want to get rid of for prospects or picks, ie not take on much in the way of new salary.

Phoenix

If they sign Doan then they may want to get rid of Rostislav Klesla to stay close to the cap floor. He is owed just under $3 million per year for the next two seasons. He's a solid defensive defenseman who could fill some of Brad Stuart's role and wouldn't cost much to acquire. I don't think we'd offer up enough to make a competitive offer for Yandle and both Morris and Zbynek have limited NTCs. I'd prefer Zbynek but I don't think that's realistic. The Yotes might be ready to add Michael Stone to their lineup and getting rid of an injury prone Klesla may be desirable for them. However if Doan doesn't come back or if the floor doesn't drop significantly they are not looking to shed any salary at all.

New York Islanders

This is problematic as the Islanders are barely above this hypothetical $46 million cap floor and only have 19 players signed. They could lose one significant salary which could help them sign 4 cheaper players to fill out their roster. They made a trade for Lubomir Visnovsky that he has said should be invalidated. I have no idea how that will play out and the fact they recently traded for him makes me think they would not turn around and trade him.

So that would leave us with Mark Streit. He has one year left at $4.1mm. If the Isles don't think they can resign him they may consider parting with him for picks or prospects. This is entirely speculation. Streit could definitely fill a spot on one of our power play units.

Dallas Stars

The Stars are right at the current cap floor but have 24 players signed. If they are playing close to the cap floor they may want to make a trade rather than waive a player. They just signed Mark Fistric to a new deal but it was a 1 year deal, suggesting they are not sure of his future role with the organization. He's nothing more than a depth guy but he'd add some sandpaper to our lineup. I don't think this would actually do much for us, just throwing ideas out at this point.

Florida Panthers

The Panthers are also at the current cap floor but might want to shed some salary if/when the cap floor drops. The most likely trade here in my opinion would be Ed Jovanovski. There are a lot of Wings fans who like him and Ken Holland obviously digs the older/veteran players something fierce. Moving Jovo would save the Panthers just over $4 million a year over the next three seasons and would clear roster space for their younger d-men.

Anaheim Ducks

The Ducks have some big ticket contracts coming up in the form of Getzlaf and Perry. They are currently close to the cap floor but only have 20 guys signed. Trading away a decent amount of salary could help them fill out their roster with a similar or even lower cap hit. I know everyone wants Bobby Ryan but that doesn't look likely and we'll skip that since this is an entirely different form of speculation.

How about Toni Lydman? He was acquired via trade with Buffalo and only has one year left on his deal. I have no idea if the Ducks have an interest in signing him to an extension but if they feel good about their depth on defense but not so good about the prospects or interest in signing Lydman he'd be a nice pickup.

Nashville Predators

I look at their defense on Cap Geek and I laugh. Shea Weber and then absolutely nothing.

New Jersey Devils

If the Devils want to keep their costs under control and the cap is lowered they could shed some salary. I think Henrik Tallinder would fit in well but with his blood clot issue from last year I'm pretty sure Ken Holland wouldn't go anywhere near him.

So those are some guys we may potentially be able to trade for. None of them are stars but they would help us fill out our defense. Any others you think may be available in a similar scenario?

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 02:30 PM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 872
Nashville does have some solid defenders.. As we bitterly were noted about that during the playoffs.

Josi looked as good as Suter after ASG, maybe even better. I think Nashville fans agree with that, even before Suter left. Klein is solid top4d, imo. Blum and Ellis need to step up. Hannan and Gill aren't totally pylons.. until they get the puck on their sticks.

Anaheim is interesting in a sense that they have

Fowler
Beaucheamin
Allen
Souray
Lydman
Sbisa
depth man in Guenin
And Vatanen pushing for a roster spot.

If Vatanen makes the team, I think we could get Lydman. They aren't giving up on Sbisa or Fowler, just signer Souray and Allen, they'll trade Lubo anyway even if the NYI trade doesn't go through and Beauch sucks everywhere except in Anaheim.

That way they could even some value for him, better than keep him as a healthy scratch.

Last edited by InjuredChoker: 08-18-2012 at 02:32 PM. Reason: typo
InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 04:50 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
Nashville does have some solid defenders.. As we bitterly were noted about that during the playoffs.

Josi looked as good as Suter after ASG, maybe even better. I think Nashville fans agree with that, even before Suter left. Klein is solid top4d, imo. Blum and Ellis need to step up. Hannan and Gill aren't totally pylons.. until they get the puck on their sticks.

Anaheim is interesting in a sense that they have

Fowler
Beaucheamin
Allen
Souray
Lydman
Sbisa
depth man in Guenin
And Vatanen pushing for a roster spot.

If Vatanen makes the team, I think we could get Lydman. They aren't giving up on Sbisa or Fowler, just signer Souray and Allen, they'll trade Lubo anyway even if the NYI trade doesn't go through and Beauch sucks everywhere except in Anaheim.

That way they could even some value for him, better than keep him as a healthy scratch.
I agree Josi and Klein looked good against our lineup. Suter had the heaviest mins at ES followed very closely by Weber. Josi was given the easiest matchups throughout the playoffs. So they could very well be good players I was more or less pointing out that Weber is the only firmly established guy, although Gil got some tough matchups during limited mins in the playoffs.

Old
08-18-2012, 06:52 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricoh View Post
I agree Josi and Klein looked good against our lineup. Suter had the heaviest mins at ES followed very closely by Weber. Josi was given the easiest matchups throughout the playoffs. So they could very well be good players I was more or less pointing out that Weber is the only firmly established guy, although Gil got some tough matchups during limited mins in the playoffs.
I think a lot of Josi as a player. I really like him, I think this is a year the whole hockey world catches on. He is a talent. Blum has stalled for pretty much no reason as I used to be sky high on him as well. Klein is as a very good player actually drafted in the same second round as Weber. To think they drafted Suter, Weber and Klein in the same draft in three picks in a row is incredible. Nashville will be fine in my opinion. Hannan and Gil are weak points but they will be paired with young puck movers and good skaters. My problem would be one of those guys is going to keep a younger guy out of the lineup.

The Zetterberg Era is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 07:49 PM
FissionFire

You've seriously overestimated the teams which would sell.....

Phoenix has had 97pts or more the last 3 years and won their division last season. They ADDED already with the Michalek trade. They won't be selling off players, especially with new ownership. Best way to make sure a fanbase will hate you forever is to buy a team and immediate dismantle a winner.

Florida won their division last season and are on the way up. They aren't selling Jovo.

Nashville isn't in any financial trouble and their new owner has stated on many occasions that they can and will spend to the cap so money isn't an issue.

The Devils just made it to the finals and lost their captain. They are a perennial team that spends to the cap. That isn't going to change.

FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 07:57 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post

Phoenix has had 97pts or more the last 3 years and won their division last season. They ADDED already with the Michalek trade. They won't be selling off players, especially with new ownership. Best way to make sure a fanbase will hate you forever is to buy a team and immediate dismantle a winner.

Florida won their division last season and are on the way up. They aren't selling Jovo.

Nashville isn't in any financial trouble and their new owner has stated on many occasions that they can and will spend to the cap so money isn't an issue.

The Devils just made it to the finals and lost their captain. They are a perennial team that spends to the cap. That isn't going to change.
Well why don't you poop all over my Mark Streit trade suggestion while you're at it.

Old
08-18-2012, 08:01 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
That is absolutely changing. Many think they would be in bankruptcy if it weren't for the CBA negotiations right now. Their creditors are waiting and they are going to be a floor team when they come out of this agreement. They are going to have to sell off players.

The Zetterberg Era is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 08:40 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
That is absolutely changing. Many think they would be in bankruptcy if it weren't for the CBA negotiations right now. Their creditors are waiting and they are going to be a floor team when they come out of this agreement. They are going to have to sell off players.
After this season, around $20m is coming off their books just from expiring contracts. Now, they might not be able to re-sign all of those guys, but with a new CBA likely suppressing salaries a bit, they might be able to sign a couple they want for lower deals.

08-18-2012, 08:41 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

Quote:
Kovy to Detroit.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 02:09 AM
FissionFire

Quote:
I'd be shocked if they ever dropped below the midpoint. The Devils are generating enough revenue to fund their payroll. The problem right now is the stadium debt. They'll be fine.

FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 02:58 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricoh View Post

New York Islanders

This is problematic as the Islanders are barely above this hypothetical $46 million cap floor and only have 19 players signed. They could lose one significant salary which could help them sign 4 cheaper players to fill out their roster. They made a trade for Lubomir Visnovsky that he has said should be invalidated. I have no idea how that will play out and the fact they recently traded for him makes me think they would not turn around and trade him.

So that would leave us with Mark Streit. He has one year left at $4.1mm. If the Isles don't think they can resign him they may consider parting with him for picks or prospects. This is entirely speculation. Streit could definitely fill a spot on one of our power play units.

So those are some guys we may potentially be able to trade for. None of them are stars but they would help us fill out our defense. Any others you think may be available in a similar scenario?
I took Snow roughly a yr, from June 2011 (Erhoff) until June 2012 (Vis), to land a quality, top 4 defenseman without wildly overpaying. Both Snow and Yzerman have spoken about the high asking prices for qulaity blueliners.

We've seen team badly overpaying on the ufa market this smmer.

Snow has a glut of prospects. I don't think there is much chance he trades Streit ($4.1m). Especially for picks/prospects. Snow, his players and coaches are talkng about what they need to do to make the playoffs.
He's not sending the message to fans and his players, that he values more picks/prospects over Streit and a possible playoff push in 2012-2013.

If the isles are out of it by the trade deadline and Streit doesn't want an extension, then I'd expect him to be shopped at that time.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 03:36 PM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I took Snow roughly a yr, from June 2011 (Erhoff) until June 2012 (Vis), to land a quality, top 4 defenseman without wildly overpaying. Both Snow and Yzerman have spoken about the high asking prices for qulaity blueliners.

We've seen team badly overpaying on the ufa market this smmer.

Snow has a glut of prospects. I don't think there is much chance he trades Streit ($4.1m). Especially for picks/prospects. Snow, his players and coaches are talkng about what they need to do to make the playoffs.
He's not sending the message to fans and his players, that he values more picks/prospects over Streit and a possible playoff push in 2012-2013.

If the isles are out of it by the trade deadline and Streit doesn't want an extension, then I'd expect him to be shopped at that time.
Thanks for teh clarification.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 04:13 PM
doublejack

Quote:

Hold your horses on Phoenix. They do not yet have a new owner, and with the CBA meltdown in progress that whole deal is in jeopardy. I think the worst case scenario for that franchise is they are sold to some entity that will relocate the team, in which case they could actually become sellers to dump salary. If they remain in Phoenix, then they probably will retain the talent they have.

Regarding Nashville, they are losing money every season now. Nashville is hoping / counting on the new CBA to cure that. If there is not a significant amount of additional revenue sharing and/or salary rollbacks, they very well could become sellers.

Finally on NJ, I think the change is already under way... just like it is here in Detroit. We no longer spend to the cap every year. If the talent isn't there, why do it? I do agree they the Devils are unlikely to become sellers, though.

doublejack is offline   Reply With Quote