HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rick Nash+S.Delisle+cond. 3rd to NYR for Dubinsky+Anisimov+Erixon+2013 1st (Part III)

Old
08-20-2012, 06:02 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3075
I'd give up almost any player besides Lundqvist and McDonagh for a guaranteed Cup win.

08-20-2012, 06:05 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreiders Underwear View Post
As I know you're being sarcastic, I agree with you here. Who the **** gives a **** about asset management if it wins you a Cup?

It wouldn't happen, but let's say we traded Kreider for a depth d man and ended up winning the Cup that year. Some of you would actually be upset? Pathetic.
I'd be very upset. You trade a player who goes on to become a star for a depth player on one playoff run. If it was say an Iginla, I wouldn't regret it.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 06:06 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
I'd give up almost any player besides Lundqvist and McDonagh for a guaranteed Cup win.
I'd give up both for back-to-back Cups. Ignoring the fact that a guaranteed Cup would be no fun. It would be like watching a movie when you know the ending. Or the final couple seasons of Friends.

Brian Boyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 06:07 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
LOLWUT

They don't give a **** about losing Pitkanen since they WON A ****ING CUP. They are very happy with it, I'm sure.
Yup. Like I said, I'm glad that the Rangers won the cup in 1994, but I just question "What could've been" if we kept those prospects (Weight, Amonte).

Old
08-20-2012, 06:09 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Yup. Like I said, I'm glad that the Rangers won the cup in 1994, but I just question "What could've been" if we kept those prospects (Weight, Amonte).
Who cares? We won the Cup.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Kershaw

And besides, it's not like we're guaranteed a cup with Nash in the lineup. We'll see how it goes.

http://nhlnumbers.com/2012/7/30/proj...on-the-rangers

Old
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3075
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
I'd give up both for back-to-back Cups. Ignoring the fact that a guaranteed Cup would be no fun. It would be like watching a movie when you know the ending. Or the final couple seasons of Friends.
I didn't mean it like that. In the end, if we win the Cup, then I don't care.

Kane One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 06:11 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Who cares? We won the Cup.
We won the cup for one season and the team became mediocre in the long run, while Weight/Amonte enjoyed many all star seasons. I prefer contender for many yrs over 1 and done type season.

Old
08-20-2012, 07:42 PM
Jim Ramsay

Quote:
We won the cup for one season and the team became mediocre in the long run, while Weight/Amonte enjoyed many all star seasons. I prefer contender for many yrs over 1 and done type season.
Sooo you would rather be a contender instead of a champion?

In a way I understand what you are trying to say but there is no way to guarantee that being a yearly 'contender' would result in one or multiple cups. As much as many of us are tired of hearing about it as often as we do, 94 will forever remain one of the greatest moments for any ranger fan. You haven't heard a "1940"chant since

Jim Ramsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 07:48 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
trading weight/amonte was only part of the long run of being mediocre...past 94 we traded zubov, kovalev, norstrom, savard, etc. then richter and leetch got hurt and weren't the same after...

but the biggest thing is look at how AWFUL our drafts were...i don't think we picked a player in the 1st round worth a damn between kovalev in 91 and staal in 2005

a team can afford to trade away 2 good young players to put them over IF they then draft well and restock the system. they can't trade away the few young players they have and then draft terrible for 15 years

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 08:12 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ramsay View Post
Sooo you would rather be a contender instead of a champion?

In a way I understand what you are trying to say but there is no way to guarantee that being a yearly 'contender' would result in one or multiple cups. As much as many of us are tired of hearing about it as often as we do, 94 will forever remain one of the greatest moments for any ranger fan. You haven't heard a "1940"chant since
Being a contender puts you in contention for being a champion every season, so yes, I'd love to be a contender.

Old
08-20-2012, 08:20 PM
Jim Ramsay

Quote:
Being a contender puts you in contention for being a champion every season, so yes, I'd love to be a contender.
Yes it puts you in CONTENTION....There is no guarantee about anything. I'll take the championship. I guess my perspective might be a little skewed since when I saw the rangers win in 94 I was only 8 years old, I watched the entire playoffs with my father who is a diehard rangers fan and was born in 1954, so 94 was the only cup he has ever seen them win and when they won the cup he was so overcome with emotion that he couldn't control his tears..... one of only two times I've ever seen him cry. There were plenty of years between his birth and 94 and the rangers were "contenders" and I'm sure he wouldn't trade it for anything in the world to see them crowned Champions.

Jim Ramsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 08:20 PM
Leetch66

Contender is always nice...but CHAMPION has a nice ring to it I think .

Leetch66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 08:26 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
trading weight/amonte was only part of the long run of being mediocre...past 94 we traded zubov, kovalev, norstrom, savard, etc. then richter and leetch got hurt and weren't the same after...

but the biggest thing is look at how AWFUL our drafts were...i don't think we picked a player in the 1st round worth a damn between kovalev in 91 and staal in 2005

a team can afford to trade away 2 good young players to put them over IF they then draft well and restock the system. they can't trade away the few young players they have and then draft terrible for 15 years
Yup, trading Zubov and Savard are prime examples of trying to win, but failing. Both awful trades.

If we didn't win the cup in 94, the Weight and Amonte trades will have more exposure as some of the worst blunders of all time.

That's sorta the point I'm trying to make.

Old
08-20-2012, 08:31 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Yup, trading Zubov and Savard are prime examples of trying to win, but failing. Both awful trades.

If we didn't win the cup in 94, the Weight and Amonte trades will have more exposure as some of the worst blunders of all time.

oh no doubt. the weight/amonte trades would be the 2 worst trades in history if we don't win in 94...so we got lucky

thats a big reason why i'm so glad that glen stuck to his guns and didn't give up kreider, stepan, mcdonagh, del zotto, etc.

Old
08-20-2012, 08:40 PM
CM PUNK

you never know what would have happened if they both stayed rangers, but just to put it into perspective, if amonte and weight had played their whole careers as rangers and had the same career stats they end up having these would have been their ranks on the alltime rangers list

Games played: Weight #1, Amonte #2
Goals: Amonte #1, Weight #4
Assists: Weight #1, Amonte #3

so if we had kept them they might have gone down as the top 2 players in franchise history atleast statistically...kind of crazy to think of it that way

Old
08-20-2012, 08:53 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
you never know what would have happened if they both stayed rangers, but just to put it into perspective, if amonte and weight had played their whole careers as rangers and had the same career stats they end up having these would have been their ranks on the alltime rangers list

so if we had kept them they might have gone down as the top 2 players in franchise history atleast statistically...kind of crazy to think of it that way
Both would be up on the rafters.

So you essentially traded 2 franchise players for marginal players that played a minimal role on a 1 yr championship.

I'd be fine if it was for 1 yr of Gretzky, but I just shake my head to think we traded two franchise guys for 'depth' players.

Last edited by Kershaw: 08-20-2012 at 09:06 PM.
Old
08-20-2012, 08:59 PM
bleedblue94

Quote:

zubov yes, savard.... ummm what? savard was a mediocre player with below average skating that was traded to move up in the draft to grab a highly touted lundmark. that does not classify at all w the zubov trade. everyone realizes what a mess that deal was and all the behind the scenes crap that contributed to it. in retrospect the savard deal bit us bc he really developed after moving on eventually to atlanta, but its a stretch to bring it up in context with the other moves...

bleedblue94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 09:03 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

The Amonte and Gartner trades were HORRIBLE.

Anderson wasn't needed at all and did nothing for the team and the same for Noonan.

Matteau had a couple of big moments against the Devils and if it wasn't for that, he'd just be another journeyman.

I still think of what could have been had they had kept Amonte and Weight.

The Zubov-Nedved/Robitaille-Samuelsson trade was just unnecessary in every context of the word.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 09:04 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:

Yup.

There is no way to know if they still would have won, but you have to look at what the long-term core would have been.

Messier, Leetch, Amonte, Weight, Graves, Richter, Zubov, Kovalev

Had they kept that core together...

Its certainly possible they could have won and done more than one.

After they traded Amonte, Weight, Zubov, Kovalev, Savard, it was a struggle to compensate by continually hiring mercinaries rather than develop more players to add longevity.

They made a run in 97 but after that it was painful.

Its just the way this sport works. You have to grow a core and suppliment with external pieces after. Like the Rangers are doing now. A homegrown core. And high level players brought in via trade and free agency. But they havent dismantled the core to do so.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 09:15 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Yup.

There is no way to know if they still would have won, but you have to look at what the long-term core would have been.

Messier, Leetch, Amonte, Weight, Graves, Richter, Zubov, Kovalev

Had they kept that core together...

Its certainly possible they could have won and done more than one.

After they traded Amonte, Weight, Zubov, Kovalev, Savard, it was a struggle to compensate by continually hiring mercinaries rather than develop more players to add longevity.

They made a run in 97 but after that it was painful.

Its just the way this sport works. You have to grow a core and suppliment with external pieces after. Like the Rangers are doing now. A homegrown core. And high level players brought in via trade and free agency. But they havent dismantled the core to do so.
It's also possible that those guys never would've developed as Rangers or would've suffered career ending injuries.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 09:29 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
It's also possible that those guys never would've developed as Rangers or would've suffered career ending injuries.
Amonte scored about 70 goals in his first 2 seasons, he would have been fine with this team.

I have a feeling Weight and Savard would have been great players either way.

Zubov had a career year in 94 with 89 points. Him and Leetch were arguably the best power play tandem ever.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 08:18 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
I dont think you understand how difficult it is to win a Stanley Cup.

Sounds like you'd be a wonderful fan of the 80's/90's St. Louis Blues, however.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 08:30 AM
Levitate

Trading Zubov was a terrible terrible terrible thing to do and watching him go on to be a franchise defenseman for another team was horrible

And if anything it moved the Rangers further away from another cup. Just a terrible decision

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 10:04 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Quote:

Cup or no cup, the Weight and Amonte Trades ARE two of the worst deals the Rangers have ever made.

While it would be nice to win a cup, I would rather take 15-20 good swift kicks at the can than one significant kick and then wait 10+ years before we get another legit shot.

I want to be competitive and in contention EVERY YEAR similar to the wya the Devils and Red Wings are/were and have been the since the early 90's.

One cup in 18 years while being a laughing stock for 7 years if not the ideal way to run an organization.

screw that.

Give me a shot at the cup every year than one cup every 50+ years

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote