HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Grigorenko?

Old
08-20-2012, 02:55 PM
Pie Man
A-Pie

vCash: 500
Grigorenko?

Hello all Sabres fans. So in this short time after the draft, from what you seen of Grigorenko in training camp or in the superchallenge tournament, do you guys see why he fell out of the top 10? or was this another misstake a la Fowler draft?

Pie Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 03:03 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Hasn't been much to see really, aside from the Canada/Russia games, where generally he played pretty well.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 03:10 PM
Tra La La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie Man View Post
Hello all Sabres fans. So in this short time after the draft, from what you seen of Grigorenko in training camp or in the superchallenge tournament, do you guys see why he fell out of the top 10? or was this another misstake a la Fowler draft?
I think he will be better the a few of the d taken ahead of him. The hands and the passing of Grigo are top notch.

Tra La La is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 03:18 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

More Fowler than not. He's been our top-ranked prospect since the draft by virtually everybody, and he hasn't shown anything to dissuade that.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 05:10 PM
tsujimoto74

I see why he fell and I'm ecstatic that he did and think a few teams will regret passing him up. His vision and passing are 2nd to none from this years draft class. If he reaches his potential, he'll be a very good 1st line center in the NHL.

tsujimoto74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 05:20 PM
Blitz
GONNA TAKE ReinHART

His draft stock fell signifigantly due to his sub-par play in the second half of the season for the Remparts - which was later revealed at the combine to be caused by mono.

IMO, he is as close to NHL ready as Murray, Yakupov or Galchenyuk and should have gone in the top 5 - If his illness had been made public he likely would have.

Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 05:27 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
His draft stock fell signifigantly due to his sub-par play in the second half of the season for the Remparts - which was later revealed at the combine to be caused by mono.

IMO, he is as close to NHL ready as Murray, Yakupov or Galchenyuk and should have gone in the top 5 - If his illness had been made public he likely would have.
His illness was public. I remember everybody here discussing it on draft day.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 05:38 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

It wasn't during the season though. That information was released after people had been down on him for a couple of months already.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 06:05 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack
Hasn't been much to see really, aside from the Canada/Russia games, where generally he played pretty well.
Meh, I thought he was very underwhelming at the Canada/Russia thing. The play seemed to die on his stick a lot, he did make some nice plays but not enough to leave me satisfied. Only time will tell whether the pick turns out well, I mean it was at the 12 spot, so I have no problems with the pick at all.

Stop Winnin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 06:46 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
Meh, I thought he was very underwhelming at the Canada/Russia thing. The play seemed to die on his stick a lot, he did make some nice plays but not enough to leave me satisfied. Only time will tell whether the pick turns out well, I mean it was at the 12 spot, so I have no problems with the pick at all.
I have to chalk some of that up to jet lag, to be honest. Yes, all the players went through it, but flying from Russia to Canada, especially after the emotional game in Yaroslavl, has to be particularly draining.

BackGroundMusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 07:33 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
It wasn't during the season though. That information was released after people had been down on him for a couple of months already.
I like to give professional scouts and GMs more credit than to presume they're not able to process new information when it comes to light just because they were down about a player before. HFBoards was able to do the math, why not pro scouts?

Old
08-20-2012, 07:48 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
I like to give professional scouts and GMs more credit than to presume they're not able to process new information when it comes to light just because they were down about a player before. HFBoards was able to do the math, why not pro scouts?
Yeah scouts obviously know what's up. It's not like Couturier fell last year for the exact same reason or anything.

tsujimoto74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 07:53 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Yeah scouts obviously know what's up. It's not like Couturier fell last year for the exact same reason or anything.
All the more reason everyone would be aware of it this year, don't you think?

Old
08-20-2012, 11:07 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
I wanted the Leafs to take a long look at Grigorenko and was mildly disappointed we didn't get him at the draft, but when our fanbase was talking through the options, one of the biggest fears associated with Grigorenko was that he might end up a bit like a lazy Viktor Kozlov: lots of tools but lacking effort. Obviously the sample size is really small at this point since draft day, but he didn't look too impressive at the tournament. He just looked lethargic. But then again it's not like Yakupov was ripping it up either. But all in all a reasonable gamble where you guys were picking.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 12:50 AM
buffalowing88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I wanted the Leafs to take a long look at Grigorenko and was mildly disappointed we didn't get him at the draft, but when our fanbase was talking through the options, one of the biggest fears associated with Grigorenko was that he might end up a bit like a lazy Viktor Kozlov: lots of tools but lacking effort. Obviously the sample size is really small at this point since draft day, but he didn't look too impressive at the tournament. He just looked lethargic. But then again it's not like Yakupov was ripping it up either. But all in all a reasonable gamble where you guys were picking.
I think you encapsulated his pick pretty well. He certainly has bust potential but his ceiling is as high as anyone in that draft. We took the safe pick in Girgensons two picks later. I think sabres fans are happy either way.

buffalowing88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 05:46 AM
HiddenInLight

I think that there was that undercurrent of nervousness that he would end up going to play in the CHL that also may have contributed to his drop. He had already been drafted by a team in Moscow before the NHL draft. Maybe fear that he would end up like Radalov.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 07:23 AM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
In my opinion, no one looked consistently good in the tournament. August hockey and traveling between two sides of the world makes that understandable. He fell more than he should have or probably would have if it weren't for all the solid defensive prospects, in other words if teams went forward they probably wouldn't have skipped him.

He hasn't really done anything to raise or lower my opinion since he was drafted, except his enthusiasm and commitment to Buffalo/NHL seems sincere and should put all the KHL nonsense out of peoples minds.

He really needs to get stronger before he's going to be able to make a true impression against older players, so I'm not really expecting him to tear it up at camp, but it wouldn't surprise me if he does.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 09:23 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
In my opinion, no one looked consistently good in the tournament. August hockey and traveling between two sides of the world makes that understandable. He fell more than he should have or probably would have if it weren't for all the solid defensive prospects, in other words if teams went forward they probably wouldn't have skipped him.

He hasn't really done anything to raise or lower my opinion since he was drafted, except his enthusiasm and commitment to Buffalo/NHL seems sincere and should put all the KHL nonsense out of peoples minds.

He really needs to get stronger before he's going to be able to make a true impression against older players, so I'm not really expecting him to tear it up at camp, but it wouldn't surprise me if he does.
Yeah, basically this. I mean the travel and fatigue thing isn't an excuse for him because everyone was in the same boat, but at the same time, it's a nothing tournament and he hasn't been put through the Sabres developmental process yet, so he really hasn't a) proven the doubters wrong or b) outright failed as a prospect. Nothing's changed. Also a big guy like this might take a little longer to grow into his body too, so no rush.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote